Home Dota 2

The Return of the Monthly contests

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone!

i hope everyone got some rest after the spring event and a ready for the return of the monthly contest

we have some news, we are going to have a physical trophy, the ones with the Greentooth in metal (just need to confirm with Adam)

(shameless copying it from another thread) greentrophies.jpg

we are also trying to get more sponsor to get you guys even more motivated

but we need to decide the theme, i think the reduced hero pool and the single item idea was working really well on the other months but we could also go for 2 categories, with single items and sets

And we are probably going to have the TerrorBlade model to work, i think that could be a great hero for the return

Well, its up to you guys, feel free to suggest and comment as usual

Replies

• kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    You had me at metal Greentooth, can't wait for this. Maybe expand on the multiple categories to hero and non-hero? But the limited hero pool and single items is a great place to start
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing I want one of those! Any idea when Terroblade is out? If it's very soon, I think he would be a great option to throw in with some of the other more recent heroes.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    If we manage to get Terrorblade this week, it would be a cool theme. Alternatively, I suggested on IRC a water/fish theme and people seemed to really like it, with heroes like Slark, Naga Siren, Morphling, Tidehunter, Slardar and possibly Medusa. Slark have mostly daggers, Naga could use some more love, Morphling sets are really subpar, Tidehunter don't get new items for ages, Slardar also only have tridents and one or two sets and Medusa is really ignored. Overall, it's a nice theme and most of the heroes could really use some new stuff, especially NOT weapons.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    Amazing I want one of those! Any idea when Terroblade is out? If it's very soon, I think he would be a great option to throw in with some of the other more recent heroes.

Legion was patched in shortly after she was added, so hopefully Terror will be the same
  • bounchfx
    I love the idea of terrorblade as long as he's available to mod, but personally I would also toss in Gyro and LC since they're also quite new. Obviously we want to do what you guys are most interested in, but just tossing out ideas.

If the metal balls are involved now then that is freakin' awesome.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Oh man. Greentooth trophy? Yes please.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the idea LC and gyro on the pool too
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    You had me at balls of steel!

….I mean..Greentooth trophies…..yeah….
  • Mhykiel
    I've read the other competition threads and like the idea of one item. As you explained in those great place to start for beginners and understanding deadlines and time management. At the point I'm at now I don't think I can complete a set of 5 items in one month. Maybe 2. I do enjoy to create and compete. So please just keep us new and part timers in mind.

Enjoy this forum and the people posting here Thank You
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Sweet, ill be in on this one. Just going to wrap up work on tow other single items for now.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
  • MagnoHusein
    I want those cute smile faces!

Not gyro guys c'mon >.> and for LC, despite the fact she's new, she has many stuff already.

Why not do something for heros that doesn't have many stuff?
  • bounchfx

Not gyro guys c'mon >.> and for LC, despite the fact she's new, she has many stuff already.

The way I see it, neither of those heroes really has anything yet. LC has an Arcana and one set, and if you look on the workshop, outside of a few weapons she has no singles. This monthly is for singles I believe. Same for Gyro, if you want to count submitted sets instead of single items or accepted items then yeah I'm inclined to agree.

However, we also want to support what you guys are interested in. The other idea that was called out by belkun (A water themed month, with items requested for Slark, Naga Siren, Morphling, Tidehunter, Slardar and possibly Medusa.), is also a possibility if there is a greater demand for that. basically just trying to gauge what you guys are interested in contributing to :).

Of course, we can always do Terror/Gyro/LC this month and aquatic themed next month too. I just honestly think that LC and Gyro don't have much going for them outside of a handful of set submissions.

just my 2c! <3
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Kunkka is more of a water hero than Medusa, really.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Kunkka is more of a water hero than Medusa, really.

Kunkka has A LOT of stuff though. It would be boring if people just made even more items for him. Medusa isn't really related to water or fishes, but she is slithery and all that stuff, so why not! haha
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Another idea for the idea bucket. 4 legged friends. Item for heros that either walk on 4 legs, or use a mount that has 4 legs. Also maybe a more broad category, Workshop Least picked. Pool of 5-10 heros with the least amount of items in workshop/ dota store
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    It would be fun if we had a random hero generator. Factors could be the different game modes of dota (Most likely AP and SD), single items/ sets, element, gender etc.. So lets say someone made this and hit "random", he would get something like this.

AP, set, ice, female.

Which means we have to make a set for any hero we like as long as it's a ice themed female hero. If it was SD instead of AP we would get 3 random heroes that matches the rest of the criteria. Ofc there should probably be a lot more factors that comes to play to get relevant heroes. And someone got to make it. I have no idea how to do it =/
  • rebelholic
    When this contest it will start? It will gonna clash with noob contest or not?
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    rebelholic wrote: »

They probably will clash, but both are really different from one another. On the monthly contest the goal is to make any item/set that fits the theme, while on the noob challenge the goal is to learn the workshop pipeline using a designated concept, so everyone will essentially do the same item for learning purposes, while on the monthly contest you need to work on original concepts and ideas.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    HEY

I just had an idea. Why don't we name an equipment instead of a hero? For example we say let's make a "shield". Then people start to do shields for heros that have shield (Dragon Knight, Luna and etc) then the judges or the community chosses let's say the best 5 shields (maybe one per hero) then the winners will submit the 5 items as a collection of shields. Very simmilar to what "Yi" did with her hairstyle collection.
    This way the outcome is more community-like ;)
    Now similar to this can be applied to themes too (similar to what belkun said). We will name a theme(ice, water, fire , etc) then the winners make a collection out of winning items.

Cheers
  • polarbear
    If we aim to make sets I think kite's idea is great: Workshop Least Picked - around 8 heroes with the least amount of sets in workshop and store.

If it's about single items I think Reza and Nannou got something. We choose a theme or equipment (pick one for examles: fire theme, ice theme, darkness theme - females, males, beasts - shields, hairs & hats, accessoires) and the best X entries make a collection and publish that in the workshop.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    not hats please T^T I'm working on that already :D
    dvimpi.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message

im with bounch on that, she have just 2 sets, i think shadow demon has just one, but who plays shadow demon? hahaha (just joking)
    kite212 wrote: »
    Another idea for the idea bucket. 4 legged friends. Item for heros that either walk on 4 legs, or use a mount that has 4 legs. Also maybe a more broad category, Workshop Least picked. Pool of 5-10 heros with the least amount of items in workshop/ dota store

i remember that idea from the last years contest, i like this one =]
    Nannou wrote: »
    It would be fun if we had a random hero generator. Factors could be the different game modes of dota (Most likely AP and SD), single items/ sets, element, gender etc.. So lets say someone made this and hit "random", he would get something like this.

AP, set, ice, female.

Which means we have to make a set for any hero we like as long as it's a ice themed female hero. If it was SD instead of AP we would get 3 random heroes that matches the rest of the criteria. Ofc there should probably be a lot more factors that comes to play to get relevant heroes. And someone got to make it. I have no idea how to do it =/

we could also go for a random draft, one strength hero, one int and one agi. maube someone start dota on a hangount and stream the random selection =]
    rebelholic wrote: »

the idea is to start on the beggining of the month but we are waiting for the update, that may bring us the terroblade model and some game changing updates that can change how important is one hero
  • MagnoHusein
    Yeah, it was about the amount of stuff submitted that I was saying, not accepted.

There are many heros that probably doesnt have many stuff due to their designs, like morphling and spectre. And others that you can do awesome things but are not so popular in amounts of content, like Leshrac, Weaver, Slardar, Tidehunter. I don't know, I guess we can encourage to provide more content to those heros by the contest~ just a suggestion.
  • Gaiascope
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaiascope polycounter lvl 4
    Just throwing this in there, but if we're talking new heroes with not a lot of submissions, I feel like Wraith King is being overlooked. Ever since his transformation, all he has are some pass-me-downs from Skele king that don't suit him at all, and a bunch of swords. He might not be a *new* hero, per se, but from a workshop point of view, he definitely lacks items.

Personally I like the water theme, and a "no weapons" modifier while still doing a single item. I feel like that forces people to think outside the box more and really try their best to create an interesting look with a single item.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Well you allready had me at the metal greentooth throphy!

I would like to see just an item contest like last times, so there's no limit on the entries, but ppl with less time can spend it all on one item instead of making a whole set which allready looks way ahead of a single item!

I'm with mango on this, lets just pick heroes, that still need items.
    The problem with that is that ppl always rather see items for polpular heroes than the less popular ones :s
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    if we choose TerroBlade we may start thinking over this, apparently is a leaked image of the hero in game
    ibopeQZQdJprZ0.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Can we even do terror blade? he looks like comes in one piece.

Anyways, in addition to the choice of "fire" or "ice" or other things, we can choose color. We can say, do an item that is mainly red (excluding blood effects) or picking a hero whose color is mainly red.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we even do terror blade? he looks like comes in one piece.

Well that screenshot is his Metamorphosis ability. just looking at him I see more than one piece. Swords, horns, belt, gauntlets/shoulders, wings... He may not be workshopable right away with the new bloom patch, but he will be added. All new heros are made with workshop in mind.
  • cagdasx44
    I would wanna do something for other heroes so I dont think we should do it for terrorblade only.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    as soon as terror blade hits the workshop you can count on there being a massive wave of items for him. I say let our little polycount contest be at the forefront of that wave.
  • MagnoHusein
    So he will probably have a custom second form (crossfingers).

Also I guess this is a good call, not sure if polycount competition had this before, the theme: shapeshifter. Heroes that can change their form (Lycan, Lone Druid, Terrorblade) sadly we are going to be limited to then~ since brewmaster, dk and undying forms are not avaiable in the workshop.

Anyway, just throwing ideas.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    kite212 wrote: »
    Well that screenshot is his Metamorphosis ability. just looking at him I see more than one piece. Swords, horns, belt, gauntlets/shoulders, wings... He may not be workshopable right away with the new bloom patch, but he will be added. All new heros are made with workshop in mind.

I see it now, I didn't noticed that it was his ability and it he (as he is now) kind of resembles shadow fiend in sf's ulti form.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    Here ya go!

HOJPZU6.jpg

awesome, huge thanks for the image

lets hope that tomorrow they will release models from terror blade and phoenix =]
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    ok guys, those new heroes are not on the workshop yet and it is risky to do things without knowing the polycount limit

So we decided to pick 3 heroes and go for single items, almost the same as when we started the comp almost one year ago

Focusing on heroes with not much set/items

one with a huge potention is Legion Comander, with just one set and one single item in game, its the second most played character at the moment.

So probably will get a lot of visibility on the workshop.

Normally new heroes get some preference from Valve for cosmetic items.

The other one we were thinking was Gyro, newly added and just some items on the files but as far as i know not in game

what about the other one? bunch suggested these with not much items

clinkz, slardar, brew, medusa, morph, shadow demon, and maybe wraith king

Any other suggestions? should we put the heroes up to vote?

Cheers!
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    I think the aquatic theme Belkun suggested is a pretty good idea.
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    ok guys, those new heroes are not on the workshop yet and it is risky to do things without knowing the polycount limit

So we decided to pick 3 heroes and go for single items, almost the same as when we started the comp almost one year ago

Focusing on heroes with not much set/items

one with a huge potention is Legion Comander, with just one set and one single item in game, its the second most played character at the moment.

So probably will get a lot of visibility on the workshop.

Normally new heroes get some preference from Valve for cosmetic items.

The other one we were thinking was Gyro, newly added and just some items on the files but as far as i know not in game

what about the other one? bunch suggested these with not much items

clinkz, slardar, brew, medusa, morph, shadow demon, and maybe wraith king

Any other suggestions? should we put the heroes up to vote?

Cheers!

I think Legion, Gyro, and Wraith King sound great! Lots of variation between their themes, they all have newly released models, and there is a lot of potential for a pool of really cool items with them.
  • MagnoHusein
    Yeah, I'm ok to go with these 3. I guess it's better to take advantage they are somewhat "fresh" in the workshop. But any specifc theme? I guess we could create one instead of making random things. Just a suggestion.

Aquatic theme and no-crowded items heros we could do in the next months.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I don't think there is any need for a specific theme tbh. LC, Gyro and Wraith sound good to me. No need to narrow it down and shoehorn in a theme that doesn't fit.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    been wanting to make a Legion weapon, so yes please
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    I am with Tvi and Mdk on this. Lets not over complicate it.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    If we're going for newly released workshop heroes I think Wraith King would fit best for the third as has been said.

I agree that we should try to expand with themes in the coming months though. I think it gets boring real quick when it's just 3 random heroes every month over something like Heads and Shields or the Aquatic hero theme that was thrown around earlier.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Well I don't think we need to stick to one form for every month. One month can be for 3 heroes, the other month can be for a theme and the month after for something else.
    Another idea that came to my mind was that why do we need to wait for valve to announce an event? We can set an event ourselves. There are so many countries with their own events. There are many Japanese, Persian, African, South American, Arabic, Egyptian, Italian, Spanish and so on events that we can work on. From what I see we have people from many countries, why not having custom polycount events?
    We can even go for events such as April fool and get some immortal items into the game :D
    Cosmetic_icon_The_Alpine_Stalker%27s_Set.png
    Cheers
  • bounchfx
    @reza - I agree, we can and will alter the format month to month to keep things interesting and fresh, as well as reflect the desires of the community and what they show interest in doing.

Also, about your second point - stay tuned. ;)
  • MagnoHusein
    The "theme" objective to have a closer effect of CNY, make people fit a theme in the hero, this is challenging... and also shows consistency in the contest.

Also make it less boring in a way, the bad side about this is the similar ideas, happens more often. Anyway, I'm just throwing stuff, crazy brainstorm we got here :)
  • Drywall
    I'm cool with a spread of a few characters, but please, don't make the theme just one. When that happens, the character becomes oversaturated, and the workshop community loses interest in seeing new art for that guy for a long time. They can get downright hostile. Also, everything made has less of a chance of getting in because Valve doesn't like putting in multiple NEW sets for the same character at the same time; they know it detracts from each other's sales.

edit: I see a theme was chosen that has a spread of a few characters, that's great. I just get nervous whenever someone starts focusing the entire polycount crew on a single character!
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    My only request is that we start the thread on the 1st this time. For the last few months we had the competition, the thread didn't get made until almost a week after the month began.
  • Jarm
    I'm super excited to participate!
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    btw what happend to that last monthly contest (december). have there been any winners?