Home General Discussion

Divinity: Original Sin

Replies

• Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I think it's great that this game has co-op... but for my own personal tastes, I couldn't imagine playing it co-op. I like to meticulously plan each of my characters' moves.

I don't think I'd like having another player control my strategy :p
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    I play almost exclusively co-op games. This game is great, playing currently with a friend. The best thing for me is turn based combat, love it :>

What I don't like:
    • random loot,
    • cartoony enemies,
    • long loading times.

I think that's all for now :]
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    This game is hard - Baldur's Gate hard, but that's good, think first before the enemy. Send one character in to get the fight going - no need for the exploskeletons. Get the terrain ready with rain - stun the whole lot. I find myself pressing the space bar sometimes, which is a very good sign. Top job with graphics and style.

I noticed the use of ground textures with very deep parallax maps - it works really well, great DOF all round when you're zooming in and out.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I remember in balurs gate that my thief was the hero in the team, because he would scope out the area for traps and enemies, so the mage can ready his stinky cloud and cloudkill and when he was ready, the thief would get out of sneak, aggro the enemy run, while the mage target the area he was at, and half the battle was over. ;)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far I'm loving having my melee dude with "Zombie" and super high fire resist.

I have him charge in for multiple knock-downs, then have my two casters cast poisons and fire all over him. Heals him a ton and blows the shit outa everything around him :)
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    awesome game so far, although there is some nitpicks i have:

-enemys don't have bounding boxes wich is realy a pain in the butt, when you screw up a fight only because you missklicked some elemental that decided to randomly spin around.

-you can't import your character(s) in multiplayer wich is a major turnoff.

-the game is pretty linear, not by its questlayout, but rather due to the level system wich basicly forces you to go wichever route the enemys are at your level, and not where you want to go. still you can forget about a quest and if you come back to it later the conversations don't make sense since everyone is acting totally surprised about stuff they already know.

-insane loading times

overall still a pretty great game though.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy wrote: »
    -enemys don't have bounding boxes wich is realy a pain in the butt, when you screw up a fight only because you missklicked some elemental that decided to randomly spin around.

So far this is my one serious issue with the game. Especially with the softer characters like archer... if you misclick by tiny millimeter, your character will run all the way up to the enemy and waste a turn.

It's even more crazy when some enemies' idle animations are very lively, I am afraid to attempt to click on them for fear of missing, and fucking up my turn.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah and Goeddy - completely agree. Wrong click and you go walking towards the enemy like you're going to give them a hug, instead of attacking them. "Shit! Why?" Haha.

edit: I have accidentally healed an enemy also.
  • Levgre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the better RPG's in awhile, although I wish there was a bit more skill variety, lots of it is just about mixing elemental damage.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Having a lot of fun! Right now I've been in the first hub town for a few hours, talking to everyone and seeing whats up. I went North and died by orcs. Went north east and died by ghouls. Went east and the dude said The ghouls are too high level. SO where do I go to do the quest where I have to kill some magitech armour shit?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're just starting out, you want to do everything in town possible.

You also want to make sure you have 2 extra party members, so there are 4 total.

The first direction you'll want to head is North West, to investigate the lighthouse. The enemies out there are levels 3-5.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, head west, there'll be a few undead there - one disembowled zombie. Lots of rain, great area.

We've all been through what you described. Make the skills count, I'm just trying to get better at knowing what different elements affect each other. Close combat is also very important - blunt weapons do more damage against skeletons.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of early enemies use Poison and Fire, so I found it very beneficial to have control over Rain and Lightning, so you can douse fires, prevent Exploskeletons from igniting, and chain stun enemies with Wet + Lightning.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I got a four party team, but any group of mobs above 5 decimate me. :(

Maybe I just suck and should go back to my NES games.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Divinity definitely has a steep learning curve. The first few days I played it, it felt like every fight was a crazy boss fight.

Make sure each of your characters has a very specific role. Try to funnel enemies into choke points, use the terrain at all times.

After a couple days of getting my ass kicked, I got the hang of it. It's a very rewarding combat experience :)
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I love what I've read about this game so far and I'm tempted to pick it up right now, but I'm curious about the replay value. I looked up average playtimes for the game and it seems like a solo playthrough takes around 60-80 hours whereas a co-op playthrough seems to take half that length (according to howlongtobeat, although there were only 3 polled for that category.)

Is there any reason to play the game after beating it, if anybody has completed it yet? I did some google searches and I end up finding more people complaining about certain features rather than people discussing replayability.

I love challenging RPGs and from the sound of it, this is an RPG that requires actual tactics to win fights, you can't just grind and become unkillable which is a common problem with many other games of the genre.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The character building is pretty diverse, so you could play through against with a completely different team build. I currently use:

Mage
    Battle-mage
    Melee offense
    Archer

I don't use any agile melee characters or sneaky characters. It'd be fun to play through again with a unique setup of like...

Sneaky character
    Sneaky character
    Support mage
    Tank
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found out there are 4 areas, apparently the same size as Cyseal - it's going to take me a long time to complete this game!

Spoiler that makes fighting slightly easier. Requires two devices...
    Once you get hold of both teleport pyramids you can place one before a fight begins and teleport there at any time. Distance willing.

Detailed spoiler of the above - took me ages to work this out...
    To get the other teleport pyramid - just use it. You'll get teleported to it - it's in Cyseal town.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Detailed spoiler of the above - took me ages to work this out...
    To get the other teleport pyramid - just use it. You'll get teleported to it - it's in Cyseal town.

ye that one took me ages too, although its actually pretty logical
  • kn0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished this beauty yesterday evening after 95 hours. Best game I have played in a long, long time and easily my Game of the Year.
    This game really requires you to think logically, explore and use all the tools at your disposal as there really is zero handholding, I loved it.
    The game really shines in co-op as well.
    I'm eagerly awaiting extra content...or a sequal :P.

NegevPro:
    Well, the main storty is set in stone ofcourse but you can always try out different classes and almost every quest and sidequest is solvable in a few ways, be creative! :)