Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted Church

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    clouds look really cool man. They look a bit low tho, have you played around with setting them higher up?
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Hey dude,
    the sky looks great.
    Have you a Tutorial how to make a Sky like this in Unreal Engine 4?
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Brad > Thanks :) I'll see what happens when I pull 'em down a bit!

Gazu > I'm not sure how to make this in UE4 yet, I want to port it over at some point so I'll check it out! This is how I build it up in photoshop (WIP) :

Skybox2.jpg

Just grid select and save every side seperately that I need for the Unity Skybox Shader..I'm assuming UE4 has something similar, or like the UDK, just make a skybox urself... like an inverted sphere and place it around ur map REALLLY big.. Whatever works I guess :)
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    This has been fun to watch develop!

I did a lunch paint to further push the character of your scene. Color and lighting are the big ticket items here:

XC7RcaH.jpg

We're looking at a lot of mid-ground details, and because the lighting is kinda flat, I feel the image is a bit bland (which sucks because there's some nice stuff here). Do I think you had a better composition before? Probably. I liked the trees framing your church, and the road leading you to it.

That aside, I worked more atmosphere into your piece. Bring some variety in color to your sky. I've added some additional color contrast here and I think that goes a long way. I've warmed the sun side of the sky with some soft oranges into the fog, the clouds, and into some of the highlights on the church. Let those warms fade off into the cools, getting a nice sweeping gradient across the sky. From orange, to purple, to blue - all the while, letting values shift as well. Play with different highlight and shadow colors in your clouds to really push this. You should be able to drive your fog coloration based on your directional light - try the inscattering colors to create warm at sun, and cool toward the opposite side.

I've punched up the contrast in the lighting too. I think stronger shadows not only compliment the forms, but add a bit more volume and visual interest to the structure.

Whatever you do, settle in on a composition, and start driving home some of the final touches so that you end up with a richer image. Get some more foreground, and additionally some background. Play with framing, maybe the trees or fences can lead the eye? Play with atmosphere and post.

A quick lunch critique, typed pretty fast, hit me up if you've got any questions!

Knock it outta the park dude!
    Love,
    -Jon
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    What Jon said 100% with regards to the lighting.

The shading on the trees looks jacked.

Otherwise this turned out great! Polish the last few things.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a great paintover! I like the color variation as well, will push that some more this weekend! I got some other small things done, clouds higher up, changed the composition, still want to work on the background, not sure what yet though. probably a less flat landscape. I tried working with cooler colors and warmer ones to try and create a gradient on the building...Lighting has always been a challenge, hopefully showing some improvements soon!
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :) I still want to repaint the grass (models) I think it can look a bit more awesome. Still want to try out some decals on the church as well. Here's my progress so far;

UnityScreen9.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thinking about calling this done for now or at least coming back to it a bit later. Thanks for the feedback so far!!

UnityScreen10.jpg
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great! Any chance of getting some AA in there or supersampling on the final render/screenshot so there's less of those diagonal jigglies?
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, got some more work in there last week, probably one of my final posts for this project :) Thanks for the feedback on this one! :)

UnityScreen11.jpg

UnityScreen12.jpg
  • 87roach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    Hey right on! You got your normals sorted out.

It's turned out really nice, great work!

The only few nit picky things I can come up with would be trying to get more AA in there for your final presentation shots, messing around with the ambient light so it's more of a colour value instead of a black/white value, and the trees/bg in the far distance aren't doing much of anything for the piece. It would be nice to see either a lot of them that eventually fade away into sun haze or a sparser amount with varying distances so that you can get different colour values in the bg(since right now they are a solid off-white. Personally for me, having more trees would help it a lot, you already have all the elements too(you could even do a bush from the leaves by changing the hue a bit for variation).

Anywho, my 2 cents. Nice work! Looking forward to the next.
  • schlitzer81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry double post
  • schlitzer81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rhoutermans
    Great work!
    I learned a lot from your posts about texturing and the tipps for the Blocks. I didn't know how to do that before.
    Could you please show me how you did the "RoofTileExtractingThing" :D ?
    thx and greetz
    schlitzer81

ps: sorry if my english is not the best ;)