Home Technical Talk

Lazy Nezumi Pro - mouse and pen smoothing in PhotoShop and other apps!

Replies

• leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    ah cool just went to buy it and saw there was a discount ^^ thanks for the great tool guys
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 13.12.28 is finally ready!
    Thanks to everyone who helped me test all the new stuff! :)

You now no longer need interpolation to get nice line fade-outs. Just use some position and pressure processing.
    This will now also work for people in Mouse Mode (which is now auto-detected).

Lots of other changes, including UI animations!
    For more details, check here:
    http://lazynezumi.com/news
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    I started the trial before going on holiday, came back to find it on sale, niiiice! :)

Bought it and loving it, weird how functions like this dont exist already in Photoshop. So thanks!
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    GF bought it for me for Xmas, such a great app thanks!
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Just picked it up now. Winter's cold steals my steady hands so this should be perfect! Been exploring vector concept work to combat this but vectors have obvious drawbacks compared to raster painting ;')
  • Codexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Codexus polycounter lvl 11
    I finally got mine as well. :) I had been meaning to buy it for a while now...
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you so much guys! :)
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Kamih, can you put a link to Lazy Nezumi in your polycount signature?! I always have to hunt down where to read updates, and I think more people will click it! You could post a little info in 'What are you working on?' too, I don't know if everyone has checked this out yet!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Very good idea, thanks!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Happy New Year guys! :)
    I wish you all the best for 2014!

In other news, I added Google Wallet as a payment option for Lazy Nezumi, for those who can't or won't use PayPal or Amazon Payments.
    And I'll be looking into all these phone based payment systems soon to see which one I should choose (alipay, boku, boxPay, text2pay, infobip, etc..).
    If any of you have any experience with any of these, please let me know. I hear they're quite the rage in Asia.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 14.01.10 is available!

You can now also edit your preset shortcuts via "Settings->Edit Shortcuts".
    You can now change the location of your user data directory, where your license and presets are stored, via "Settings->Edit User Data Path".
    And I've added "Settings->Start Minimized", for those who don't want to see the window when LNP launches.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Hey kamih,

I just want to drop in to say: Awesome tool you did there. It solves so much when doing lineart in PS. And on top I can use it in 3d coat or anyother sculpting / painting application as well.

Just send this arround at work and my boss instantly ordered 10 site-licenses. So everyone is enjoying it here now. Keep on the great work!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Wow thank you so much!
    I haven't sold many site licenses yet so tell your boss he made my day!
    I'm very happy you guys like it. :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 14.01.18 is available!

This update adds graph windows for the Pressure Curve and Pressure Speed Scaling stages!

These will hopefully help you better understand what these features do to your pressure, and show you information about your strokes.

The Pressure Speed Scaling graph is interactive: you can zoom by dragging your mouse/pen and pan by dragging while holding the ctrl key. The Slow Gain and Fast Gain circles can also be selected and moved.

lnp_graphs.png
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Man. You are like some kind of bunny that programs. A compliment is in there somewhere. Thanks a lot!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Yea I love how eager you are trying to improve this program and how open you are to input. It's a rare combination... keep it up!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 14.01.24 is now available!

This version lets you use a custom cursor in your hooked applications! The cursor is in the installation directory (customAppCursor.cur), so you can edit it if you want. :)

I've also fixed a problem with the auto-mouse-mode detection and a bug that was causing settings not to be saved when LNP was still running at Windows shutdown.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 14.02.03 is now available!

This update fixes pen tablet support in different versions of Open Canvas.

I also managed to fix the issue where the Photoshop plugin would not detect a tool change if you used a tool preset.

EDIT: Ok so I've had to pull this version. Apparently the tool preset fix recommended by Adobe is causing a crash in PS for some users. If you still want to try it, you can download it from the news page.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    All Lazy Nezumi Pro licenses are now 25% off during the Valentine's Day Sale! :)
    http://lazynezumi.com/buy
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    I googled for a tool to do this very thing the other day and it was hiding here right under my nose
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    What search terms did you use, if you remember? :)
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour polycounter lvl 8
    Something silly like "paint tool sai brush smoothing for photoshop" since SAI is what I've typically used when I need that
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for all the frequent updates. :)

Would it be possible to have the plugin update automatically, or update 'within' itself? Just so there's no need to go through the installers over and over?

(Sorry, this is such a first world problem that I feel bad even suggesting it, haha)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    I've thought about this, and you're not the first to mention this.
    But it's not easy because of the plugin dll that is loaded by Photoshop before the LNP exe is launched. I'd have to ask the user to close PS before I could update.. I think people would find that almost as annoying.. :\
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man I bought lazy neumi and have it on my desktop was just wondering how I can get it on my laptop, will I need another license?
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hi EZ, feel free to use your license on all your personal machines! :)
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    kamih wrote: »
    I've thought about this, and you're not the first to mention this.
    But it's not easy because of the plugin dll that is loaded by Photoshop before the LNP exe is launched. I'd have to ask the user to close PS before I could update.. I think people would find that almost as annoying.. :\

Solution: make it optional :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 14.02.21 is available!

Some users mentioned that they were having a hard time getting nice fade-ins with pressure smoothing. After a bit of experimentation, I was able to slightly change my algorithm to help provide better results!

I've also tweaked my Photoshop integration code, to try to reduce the occurrence of missing lines.

This update also adds Catch Up support (for position smoothing) in Gimp and InkScape.

And for those of you who use the Inverted Pressure feature, I've fixed a problem that was causing a big blotch to sometimes appear at the start of thin lines (high pressure start).

Enjoy! As always, please let me know if you find problems with this update.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys!

I started working on bringing back a Noise feature to LNP!
    Here's a little preview. :)
    Would you find this useful? Any ideas or suggestions?

lnpCosNoise.gif
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

Think of quick n dirty the hair styles...
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea that is pretty nifty!
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

lnpCosNoise.gif

dude! the way you are going this should be industry standard by next year lol.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Ok guys, LNP Distortion is finally ready! (I hope lol)

Only thing left for me to do is update the documentation.
    If you can't wait and want to try it out NOW, here's the release candidate:
    http://lazynezumi.com/downloads/LazyNezumiPro_14_3_16_1538_RC_Setup.exe

I think you guys are gonna love this. And I can't wait to see what awesome programs people come up with! :)

Edit: Some tips to get the most out of those Fractal presets: just click and hold with your pen, and LNP will start drawing cool patterns around your position. For the best look (imo), use a very thin brush (6px), with 100% opacity and 1% flow (or just low density in SAI). Here's what you can get:
    lnpFractalFlowers.png

Have fun!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 14.03.17 is now available!
    I'm super excited about this one since it adds the very cool Distortion feature!
    More info here: http://lazynezumi.com/news
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hahah yeah I kept thinking about these things when I was playing with the parameters! :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, just a quick note to let you know Lazy Nezumi Pro is 20% off this weekend!
    Happy spring! :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 14.03.27 is available!
    Bug fixes, new settings, and new distortion modes!
    Have fun! :D
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Lazy Nezumi Pro 14.04.08 is out!
    This version fixes a no-pressure bug that some people were having.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Lazy Nezumi Pro version 14.04.14 is now available!
    This update adds L-System functions to the Distortion scripting language. This allows you to easily define complex shapes and fractals!
    A tutorial is available here: http://lazynezumi.com/lsystems

These trees are an example of what you can do with this. Check the Distortion Modes L-Systems category for other examples!

lsysTree6.png
  • keelhauler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keelhauler polycounter lvl 11
    Somehow I thought the program already had everything I could need.
    How wrong I was, again.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bit of a odd request but would it be possible some point in the future to get this on linux? ive got this idea of reworking my note 10.1 to dual boot linux so I can use stuff like gimp, its got pressure sensitive input but lazy neumi would be favourable to have also.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 14.04.18 is now available!
    This update fixes a bunch of bugs, including some pretty serious crashes!

EZ: I've been asked for a Linux port by a couple people. I don't know if this will be possible. I may give it a try down the road. The Mac version is higher priority though.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Heya - just wanted to chime in to stress how incredibly useful the cursor display options and distortion features are. I personally use distortion as a simple way to draw perfect circles and ellipses with the current brush, and this alone would justify the purchase !! Awesome stuff.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Pior: THANK YOU!
    Really. Your comment just made my day. :)
    I have had virtually no feedback about the new Distortion feature, aside from one guy calling it "useless" and a waste of my dev time.
    So yeah, very happy to hear that people are finding it useful :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Dado:
    LNP lets you load a custom .cur file into applications that you hook.
    The default custom cursor I provide is a little dot, that helps you do detail work. But you can edit the cursor to be whatever you want.
    LNP then lets you control if the app should use this cursor or the normal one.
    And you can also configure it to hide the cursor (custom or not) while you are drawing, or all the time (this made quite a few Cintiq users pretty happy).

If you haven't tried it in a while, I added a 10 day trial extension a couple versions ago (when I added Distortion).
    (But I plan on adding some sort of request-based trial extension mechanism)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hmm, never thought about pie menus before.
    Last time I used them was in BF2 I think (to say things and issue orders) :)
    They are pretty cool.

Tablet users would probably like these, especially screen tablet users that don't have easy access to the keyboard.
    But how would you trigger it? You would have to press something in order for the app to know to bring out the menu.

In LNP there is something somewhat similar: Mini Mode (to select presets quickly). Have you tried that and what did you think?
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior: THANK YOU!
    Really. Your comment just made my day. :)
    I have had virtually no feedback about the new Distortion feature, aside from one guy calling it "useless" and a waste of my dev time.
    So yeah, very happy to hear that people are finding it useful :)

Just chiming in, the constant updates, the amazing features & everything else is more than appreciated! I'd be Surprised if there's not a front page article when you meet your next major milestone.