Home Technical Talk

Lazy Nezumi Pro - mouse and pen smoothing in PhotoShop and other apps!

Replies

• kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think I can easily stop-start multiple lines while you draw. PhotoShop's timing issues will make this extremely hard to do without bugs. I'll give it a shot though.

Another idea I had: you draw one stroke, LNP stores this, next time you draw a line, LNP ignores incoming data and outputs the symmetry of the last stored line. It wouldn't be real-time symmetry, but maybe it could still be useful? Let me know what you think.

I've released another small update today: 13.10.10
    This fixes a bug where the first line wasn't processed after clicking in a menu. I also added global keyboard shortcuts to go to the Next or Previous Preset.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is all very interesting. I assumed it was very difficult/impossible since nobody has done it yet. The work around seem interesting tho.

The idea of storing>flipping is what I had envisioned as an alternative. Personally I think you should do it at the end of your stroke if that is possible? Not at the start of a new one? This would still be very useful IMO!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, drawing the other line would be better if it's done right away when you finish your stroke. When I was working on the old version a couple years ago, I tried sending "virtual" strokes to PhotoShop to do this (without the user actually drawing), but I could never get it to work. But I was young and stupid then, so I'll try again :). This would be the best alternative if I can't have real-time symmetry.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Also ... another outside the box solution for symmetry would be to take a more global approach to the issue, following the principles of the Windows magnifier. One could imagine a little standalone app working just like the magnifier, sitting on top of everything displayed on screen, simply showing a mirrored copy of a selected region of the screen.

It wouldn't actually create any strokes inside Photoshop, but it would still give a great, realtime sense of symmetry. And then once the design is finished, the user can simply copy-paste-flip the original side to create the other one.

Only downside would be that it would only be possible to work on one side of the drawing as opposed to freely working on either left or right, like Zbrush or Mudbox allow. But that's really no big deal in practice.

(There are a few other interesting things that could be done with this approach. For instance, the Windows magnifier is very annoying in the sense that it jumps around following the cursor movements one to one. But the OSX one actually has a certain "give" to it, letting the user actually perform mouse tasks much more easily within the magnified region. Which means that one can actually paint that way, within a temporarily zoomed in view. Such a feature, along with a nice instantaneous keyboard shortcut to trigger it, would allow an artist to very quickly swap between a full view and a somehow pixelated detailed view without the hassle of manually zooming in and out, panning the image, and so on. But I am just rambling here hehe.)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    That's a nice idea Pior! That could be pretty cool, I'll have to try it!
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    I've made an action in PS before that I press and it just duplicates the layer and flips it. As long as it was quick, something like this could work after a stroke if it were possible to find the axis to mirror over (which could default to the center of the document.)

Pen down, draw stroke, lift up pen, duplicate layer, flip layer, merge layer. Maybe? Seems pretty destructive though. Just a thought.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    That could work too. But you'd be re-merging a lot of stuff over time.
    I like Pior's idea because it would be real-time without user interaction needed, and totally non-destructive.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a pretty cool idea pior. You could always have the actual mirroring in PS be an option. It could be merged into a temp layer above your current layer. There could be a check box for off, automatically or after a specified time ? Just throwing out ideas. I guess the simplest solution would be to include a script that basically does what Memory mentions so the user could bind it to a hotkey.

Anyways ! Looking forward to the developments !
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Did you put something to keep the monitor from going to sleep?
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Lamont: Nope why?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My monitors will wake on their own... could be that damn ghost in the machine.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hehe, yeah mine do that too sometimes. I think my mouse laser is too sensitive :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    A new version is available: 13.10.18

All the changes in this update are UI related.

The major change is the addition of a Mini Mode (in the settings menu) that will hide most elements from the window when the mouse isn't over it. When the mouse comes over it, all presets will be shown as buttons. This allows the user to quickly select a preset by using only one click.

I think you will like this mode if you don't like to (or can't) use keyboard shortcuts to select your presets. Let me know what you think!

I also created a Facebook page, where I'll be posting updates and art from users who use Lazy Nezumi Pro. So send me some art if you would like it to be posted! You can visit the page here. Feel free to like it and share it with your friends!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    A new version is available: 13.10.23

Here are the changes:
    • When LNP starts, it now finds applications that are already hooked, so the user doesn't have to manually hook them again
    • Added uninstaller shortcut to start menu
    • bugfix - PhotoShop tools bypass didn't work until user changed a setting

I've also ordered an Intuos3 and a 6D Art Pen! I will be trying to add tilt and rotation processing, since some users have requested it. :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    A new version is available: 13.11.1
    This adds bug fixes, UI changes, and a new feature: Speed Based Pressure Scaling!

It works by setting the pressure gain for 2 fixed speed points (slow and fast). The output gain is interpolated linearly between those 2 values, based on your current pen speed. There is also a smoothing setting so you can have less abrupt gain changes. This was a lot of fun to test. I hope you like it! :) Feedback is welcome.

As always, you can download it here: http://lazynezumi.com

pressure_speed_scaling.png
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 13.11.15 is now available!

Today's update adds pen orientation (tilt and rotation) smoothing, for people who have pen tablets that support these features.

I have so far only tested this with an Intuos3 Art Pen, so please let me know how this works for you if you have a different pen.

I received some nice feedback about the Mini Mode UI (thanks Cristiano!), so I've changed it a little so that the user can now always see which preset is currently selected, and if it is enabled or not.

The other major change is the addition of a Fast Speed control for the speed pressure scaling processing stage. This control sets the pen speed at which the Fast Gain setting will be applied.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    while trying to install the new version im getting movefile failed code 183m cannot create a file when that file already exists, ill just uninstall it and then install the new version.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    ah wait im not sure but I think it may have been because I pinned the icon on my taskbar in win7
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    EZ, make sure you exit LNP and any apps you have hooked before installing the new version.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Hello friends,
    I just wanted to give you a heads up: if you've been thinking of buying a Lazy Nezumi Pro license, I will be having my first "Black Friday - Cyber Monday" sale this weekend.
    All prices will be 50% off!! Spread the word! :)

In another news, I have a major update coming soon that will make LNP even better, and will allow more people to use it with their software, so stay tuned!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 13.11.26 is available!

A lot of changes in this version, so I won't flood you with information here. Find out more here: http://lazynezumi.com/news#13.11.26
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much!! Enjoying it a lot!!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Fantastic. UI improvements too.

I'd suggest 2 things:
    - adding 'launch after install complete' checkbox during setup
    - moving the 'for photoshop users no need to hook...' notice in the splash window to the top, and then stating the hooking stuff as 'for non-PS users' (i think PS is the majority, but i may be wrong)

Good work man! keep it up.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Very good ideas, thank you!
    I will add these to my TODO list! :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a way to make a panel/PS only version of this?
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    When I first started working on the plugin, that's what I tried. But Adobe's documentation is horrible, and I couldn't figure out how to make the panel communicate with the plugin. After some point I decided it wasn't worth the effort, especially since it would mean having to maintain 2 different interfaces.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if you looked into this but you can create PS extensions/panels with this Adobe Labs app. I used it to make a little saving tool. Its really easy although has limited features.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/configurator/

I have no idea how your plugin works but you can embed java and actionscript into buttons. Probably wouldn't take much to tell it to launch and hook your app? I haven't use the software for a couple versions so it might have new features I am not aware of. Let me know if you have any questions about it!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    I did look into that, and I just couldn't do what I needed with it.
    But does it really bother you guys that the LNP app sits outside of PS?
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope :) Doesn't bother me at all. Just wanted to mention it.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih wrote: »
    I did look into that, and I just couldn't do what I needed with it.
    But does it really bother you guys that the LNP app sits outside of PS?
    Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn`t. I am a finicky bastard.

And yes Adobe`s docs are freaking horrible.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    The sale is on! You can now purchase a license at 50% discount until Tuesday.

I've also released version 13.11.28. This update fixes issues in ZBrush and PaintToolSAI.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 13.12.03 is available!

This update adds some performance optimizations and bug fixes.
    If you've been having weird behavior or crashes in your application, make sure you get this update!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 13.12.10 is available!

You can now use the guide line and circle in OpenGL windows! :)
    Lots of other goodies in this one, check out the changes here:
    http://lazynezumi.com/news

lnpGLGuide.gif
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    I have one user that is reporting that the guide line is shifted in Photoshop. I am trying to figure out what the cause is. If you have this issue, please get in touch!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Just figured it out, if you have the rulers enabled (ctrl+r), the guide becomes shifted. I'm working on a fix!
  • Bridget
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know if there's a os x alternative to this?

I'm surprised photoshop hasn't integrated this feature already seeing how popular it seems to be.
    SAI, Manga Studio, Fire Alpaca, Sketchbook Pro all have it and who knows what else but the "most advanced" or rather recognized image editing software doesn't.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Been giving the trial a whirl while getting back into drawing. Man, this is just awesome. Perfect for inking or just getting a goddamn circle right :P
    Works with everything, even good old Open Canvas 1.1, buying it for xmas :)
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 13.12.11 is now available!

I've fixed the offset bug with the guide lines when the window rulers are active. I've also fixed another bug that was causing problems for users who had another admin user perform the install.

Skamberin: I'm very happy you like it! :)

Bridget: Here's the situation for the Mac version:
    I've never programmed for Mac before, so I don't know if all the windows trickery I used for LNP will be possible in OSX.
    But I do plan on giving it a try this winter, as many people have expressed interest in a Mac version!
    I will let you know as I progress.
  • Bridget
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih wrote: »
    Version 13.12.11 is now available!

I've fixed the offset bug with the guide lines when the window rulers are active. I've also fixed another bug that was causing problems for users who had another admin user perform the install.

Skamberin: I'm very happy you like it! :)

Bridget: Here's the situation for the Mac version:
    I've never programmed for Mac before, so I don't know if all the windows trickery I used for LNP will be possible in OSX.
    But I do plan on giving it a try this winter, as many people have expressed interest in a Mac version!
    I will let you know as I progress.

Thank you. hope it's not too hard, good luck with it. :thumb up:
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Version 13.12.15 is available!
    You can now have a different guide line color for each preset!
    More info here: http://lazynezumi.com/news
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PERFECT UPDATE!! I can see what mode I am in w/out the GUI!
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    That was the idea! :)
    Glad you like it!
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like the recent updates!

I have been using this more recently and I was curious if it was possible to make something to disable Lazy Nezumi for specific tools in PS? Some tools like transform/warp and rotate canvas are a little wonky.

I'm using the hotkey to enable/disable it currently and I know there is the disable from the pen erase option too. Just thought I would ask.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    nyx702, you should be able to disable those in the Settings > Edit Photoshop Options menu, but I think they are disabled by default so not sure what is going on for you?
    When I use a shortcut to rotate the canvas the smoothing is disabled while I rotate anyways.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh totally glazed over that option!

Regardless, they are unchecked but I still get the smoothing when I use rotate and transform.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    So for PS there are those options like Bal said, and there are also some hard-coded keyboard shortcuts that are bypassed, like space (pan), space + ctrl or alt (zoom), ctrl (move or select). And then many tools are also auto-bypassed when you press alt, since this switches to the color picker.

Do you have the PS plugin installed correctly Nyx? Does LNP say "Photoshop Plugin Loaded" at startup in its status bar, and do you see tool changes there as well?
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I see now. I wasn't using the auto load on PS startup. I manually hooked the window. It works now with the auto load. Forget I mentioned anything! All is well.
  • kamih
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    From now until Jan 03, 2014, Lazy Nezumi Pro is 30% OFF!!

I'm also working on a cool update that should be ready in a couple of days.

Happy holidays! :)