Home General Discussion

How much time do you take prepping before modeling?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
I'm slowly starting to realize that I spend a LOT of time prepping before I tackle modeling a prop. Big or small, I spend a lot of time looking at multiple references, average or standard dimensions, the scale within my scene, trying to figure out how to tackle certain parts of a prop in my head, etc. I guess one beauty of game art is that objects don't necessarily have to BE right, so long as the look and FEEL right, yet I still find myself putting way too much effort with the pre stuff.

Is this a good thing, or a bad habit? Should I not spend as much time thinking about how I'm going to model something, and just go for it (obviosly not just randomly going for it but an educated and reasonable attempt) instead of making sure what I think in my head will work 99%? Does anyone else have this issue, if it even is an issue?

Replies

• ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I grab some references but I just kind of get on with it in part free-styling as I go, I usually find out what the assets meant to be in the process of making it.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I honestly dont get all the prep work people do before a project, for me it looks like procrastinating more then anything.

I usually just dive into the deep end an find references and do "prep work" as I go. Sure, getting stuff right is great and all, but getting stuff DONE is also kinda cool :)

just go for it man, You are definitely on a level where you should be comfortable trusting your instinct.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I just gather enough reference that I have a clear picture of the direction I'm going, and I go. The time that takes depends; for a small prop, probably ten minutes or less. For a big mechanical prop, probably 15 minutes to 30 minutes. For a whole environment, it's more as I go, and it usually takes a bit longer.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    For a simple prop: google search image ref, start modelling. For something complex like a tank, where accuracy and realism is also important, i usualy spend up to a whole day gathering refs, reading up on the subject (like what variations there are of, how different parts work and their purpose), figure out how the thing is constructed, watch some vids of the thing in action, prepare blueprints.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Well, I guess it depends. On my current project I spent a lot of time gathering references. It was a pain in the ass, because I didn't know how many of the things were called and how to find images of these things. But I do try to prepare as much as I can before doing any modeling, I don't want to spend time on modeling something and then realise I made a mistake by choosing a wrong reference or I didn't analyze it enough.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I use to do a lot of prepping but I figured it causes more harm than good.

I'm slowly learning modeling takes a lot of time, and so does having to unwrap, texture and light a model or scene.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    For a simple prop: google search image ref, start modelling. For something complex like a tank, where accuracy and realism is also important, i usualy spend up to a whole day gathering refs, reading up on the subject (like what variations there are of, how different parts work and their purpose), figure out how the thing is constructed, watch some vids of the thing in action, prepare blueprints.

This is more or less how I do things as well. If I'm making a character, I usually spend half or even a full day gathering references and looking up information about what I'm going to make.

For example, I'm doing some freelance that involves a pretty realistic space suit and I needed to know how the valves, seals, and helmets are constructed. I spent a few hours looking at NASA websites and I now have a reference folder with a couple hundred images and two full space suit technical manuals. Even if I'm not going to directly use any specific real-world design for the final product, having those reference materials lets me understand the shape language and smaller technical details of how these things are constructed, and that leads to a more believable final product.

At this point, I have reference folders that range all the way from old timey Naval tattoos to images of skinned rabbits. All those references probably constitute thousands of images and dozens of hours of research that I can then apply to further projects down the road. In my personal opinion, research should be a good quarter of the work you do when making something new.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Start a folder, scan all the reference I have on the computer and create a batch of pics for the new project.

This takes me anywhere from an hour to a day.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    I just start and start blocking out until I get something I feel matches the shape and then I just keep going, I try to gather as much reference as possible though
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Because I can barely draw or design anything decently before hand, I usually jump right in once I have some ideas what to make. Pinterest is a good source of inspiration and ideas.

Then I try things as I go along. Sometimes things don't work out well, so I change some more. And as for things work out well, I run into lack of fine details. :( Still a lot to practice.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    About an hour of talk between myself and anyone else remotely involved at the start of the week (if I'm doing a character I might talk about specific requirements the rig might need etc, a level might need me to discuss vertex distribution for lighting etc).

So far as the actual modelling, well during that hour or so i'll have been drawing over the concept whilst talking, and then i just jump in and start blocking out.

Blockouts goes in and out of engine frequently for testing as I go and well, and get refined over time.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    You should always get reference. But I don't think any assets call for much mental preparation... it's better to just start. Once you start something, you can improve it. There's no value while it's still in your head.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    You should always get reference. But I don't think any assets call for much mental preparation... it's better to just start. Once you start something, you can improve it. There's no value while it's still in your head.

usually that is true, but there are exceptions.

for example high quality hard surface objects like cars.
    if you make a mistake early on it might cost you days if not weeks of work. so better put some extra steps in preparing your base and references.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on the asset.

For simpler props, a few images will do and jump straight in.

For more complex things, or things that have to be accurate and/or move, maybe half a day to a day of crawling through Google so I can see how the asset is put together and how it all works.

Generally I'll try and grab as much ref at the highest resolution I can, all of the exact same thing (generally you can find something and say "right, there's a lot of good ref for this specific make/model and I like it, so the asset is getting based on this") then gather a bunch of closely related refs if there are parts of the original that aren't too clear. You can kind of fudge the two together from that. As Swizzle said, there's a good chance that a lot of it will never be directly used, but it kind of helps builds up a solid idea in your mind of what the result should be.
  • heyeye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    I spend about a day.

Finding reference to me isn't so much about finding correct proportions or real world examples as it is just exploring other peoples ideas. Google is like one giant creative brain that lets me take all those outlandish ideas and mash them into a more focused asset. It's art after all, the most fun is the beginning playing with all the different legos.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I spend a decent amount of time on google, pinterest, sketching. I'll draw out complicated areas or even textures and UV mapping ideas.

Everytime I start a project and I make the concept and idea sound (or concept art look) good the project turns out so much better. I also end up completing it faster.