Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• MisterSande
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    hey guys, how would you cleanly terminate a spiral column ?

spiral_end.jpg?dl=0
  • MisterSande
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    thanks Shinigami, the spiral technique helped quite a bit. The edge flow does give some smoothing errors using that method but for my object this isn't an issue since I will be covering it up in zbrush.
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    I made this for another thread here just the other day. The basic concept works the same for this though
    Model it flat and then bend it into shape.

k3wluhe.gif
  • Imad
    Tried it in max, was easier than doing it in Inventor, but I'm not sure about an automated method to get it to perfectly spherical.
    aCgsEos.png

96Zbk1q.png

Im sure there are more efficient topologies, but it looks ok when compared to the CAD version.

30iPC80.png
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    Imad wrote: »
    Tried it in max, was easier than doing it in Inventor, but I'm not sure about an automated method to get it to perfectly spherical.
    aCgsEos.png

96Zbk1q.png

Im sure there are more efficient topologies, but it looks ok when compared to the CAD version.

30iPC80.png

You wizard! nice piece.
  • Imad
    WaYWO wrote: »
    You wizard! nice piece.

Cheers.
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    Shinigami wrote: »
    anyone knows how to approach this?

LxOjrnh.jpg

heres my go

m5UFZey.png

HBZtqaD.png

what i did:

shape first flat

-! ffd modifier 3x3x3, took the center point and pulled it out!

- Smoothed by SG

- made the details.

- smoothed again for support geo

what always makes me sweat is making a clean bulge. How should the distribution be if you want to make a bulge.

My inspiration was this but i cant maintain the hart corners too.

hylian_shield_by_beere-d31locv.jpg

any ideas?

How i would approach this :

-make the whole silhouette flat first, bent it then, point by point or using FFD thing( with a smooth first incase of FFD)

-then cutting the mesh for the "outer edge" design, extrude it. For all the hard edges i manually move vertices (importance for the mesh not being dense at those areas)

-do the little details with edge extrusions, duplicates, and move them with falloffs or FFD
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    or you might ask for topology?
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    bulges are correct generally when geo is not to dense (edge not to close of one another).
  • Junovhs
    Hi guys, been banging my head against the wall for several hours today (total newb, this is the most complex thing I've modeled yet)

hgZUeDq.jpg

How would you guys go about modeling this shape? I've created a cylinder, and used a boolean subtraction using rectangles to cut out the empty space. This model will be used for a lot of different purposes so I'm trying to make it objectively "perfect". I'm trying to go only quads, and end up with a mesh that Sub-D's very nicely. Here's what I've got so far

tJ2fLA2.jpg

Again, total newb, this has taken me all day lol. Any suggestions as to how I could do this faster/improve the mesh in general would be greatly appreciated kind sirs and madams.
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    it is not necessary to have quads if you just want it to look "good"

:

1437627598-rer1.png
  • Imad
    Junovhs wrote: »
    Hi guys, been banging my head against the wall for several hours today (total newb, this is the most complex thing I've modeled yet)

hgZUeDq.jpg

How would you guys go about modeling this shape? I've created a cylinder, and used a boolean subtraction using rectangles to cut out the empty space. This model will be used for a lot of different purposes so I'm trying to make it objectively "perfect". I'm trying to go only quads, and end up with a mesh that Sub-D's very nicely. Here's what I've got so far

tJ2fLA2.jpg

Again, total newb, this has taken me all day lol. Any suggestions as to how I could do this faster/improve the mesh in general would be greatly appreciated kind sirs and madams.

There is probably a better way to model this but heres what I did.

Top one shows the edge flow.

Next one down shows it turnbosmoothed.

Bottom one without edges.

wmWkt50.png
  • Junovhs
    Thanks imad and perna! Very educational, I see I was probably overthinking.

Imad: how did you control the spacing between the three pieces? Did you start with a single object and cut out the gap?

Thanks again guys
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator

-make the whole silhouette flat first, bent it then, point by point or using FFD thing( with a smooth first incase of FFD)

-then cutting the mesh for the "outer edge" design, extrude it. For all the hard edges i manually move vertices (importance for the mesh not being dense at those areas)

-do the little details with edge extrusions, duplicates, and move them with falloffs or FFD

you can also model it out flat and use two different curve modifiers to bend it along two curve, one for x and for y bending
  • Imad
    Junovhs wrote: »
    Thanks imad and perna! Very educational, I see I was probably overthinking.

Imad: how did you control the spacing between the three pieces? Did you start with a single object and cut out the gap?

Thanks again guys

I used two separate shapes, no need to work with one circle and try to cut shapes out of it.
  • Imad
    So I know this is old stuff, but did someone manage to model this correctly, I couldn't find any images in the previous posts. I gave it a go, but there is lots of dirty geometry and uneven manual cleanup.

YDp8bAj.png
  • s6
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    POGvlCMX_ZSHAl80EiO3sRBuMcCsfu4OGiZnBt45Nn2Y1LU3pfFzV0Gq4TnFpa47fb4LJw=w1879-h835

All these things have been posted in this thread before, just have a quick browse. I think we should definitely revise this thread somehow. Actually is there a way to download all the images from a forum thread, someone with the time could then sift through them and organize an archive. Gets very repetitive answering the same questions over and over...
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    anyone knows how to approach this?

you are holding yourself back by trying to model it all from one piece. once you treat the shield and the metal frame as 2 objects it should be much much easier
  • Dan Powell
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Imad wrote: »
    Cheers.

Just followed what you did myself to learn the method. Learned a huge amount just from those few tiny steps you posted above - thanks. :)

jbSYU.png
  • Imad
    Dan Powell wrote: »
    Just followed what you did myself to learn the method. Learned a huge amount just from those few tiny steps you posted above - thanks. :)

jbSYU.png

No problem.:)

After the shell step, I didn't cut all the way through the model to make a hole. I only cut through the outer layer, leaving the inner geometry intact. Unless you want to model that shape as a separate solid.

Here is a slice through.
    sWooHuy.png
  • Dan Powell
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah, that was just me being lazy and not capping the hole - so it looks transparent because you're seeing the back of the inner polygons. :)

The only thing I've noticed is that the larger circular holes cut in are not perfectly circular - only way I can think of doing that is manual tweaking, gonna have a go later
  • snoop
    Offline / Send Message
    snoop polycounter lvl 7

i would do it like this, i know the result isn't clean at the end, but that's because i was too lazy to finish up because you can get the idea. it's not the cleanest quad distribution either, but i usually don't care so long as it works.

step1.png?lgfp=3000
    rotate a square for step one
    step2.png?lgfp=3000
    connect after making a selection
    step3.png?lgfp=3000
    symmetry modifier and start my topology planning
    step.png?lgfp=3000
    continue topology stuffs
    step4.png?lgfp=3000
    select inner faces and scale inwards to make the bevel, and fix middle so it works with the symmetry
    step5.png?lgfp=3000
    make supporting edges, turbosmooth, ffd modifier twice. this is where i started getting lazy, not fixing obvious problems
    step6.png?lgfp=3000
    just a clearer view, again there are obvious errors. however, i try and leave most of the major topology changes etc. up to being completely flat and giving it plenty of geo so that when getting deformed, it doesn't look retarded and messed up after ffd and stuff (again i know my example looks bad at this point lol)
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    But you miss these hard edges on outer part, you could model it separately from the main bulgy thing...
  • andropof
    Offline / Send Message
    andropof polycounter lvl 3
    Hi!
    I need help on modeling this shape :/ Can someone help me?

yEVy8tA.png

BLkwRNs.png

aeEdD3u.jpg
  • SoDamnTrue
    What am I doing wrong? I am still getting that distortion. Best method I found to close this part was to cut out piece from spherified cube and simply attach it to sphere mesh.

c4sMdkX.png

IdWvZBx.png

Fixed it myself mostly by tweaking spot middle of those sidelines of horizontal line:

y0stwgO.png

Still not sure if it's the best method. Looks pretty dumb but it worked.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    why not subdivide the cube and just use its half after spherify ?
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    andropof wrote: »
    Hi!
    I need help on modeling this shape :/ Can someone help me?

yEVy8tA.png

BLkwRNs.png

aeEdD3u.jpg

basically you do one of the indent and you duplicate it until you have what you expect, do some tweaks and you can go ! :

1438314136-iknife.png
  • SoDamnTrue
    why not subdivide the cube and just use its half after spherify ?

Depends where to use mesh. Right now I wanted to use this mesh for eye. Therefore I had to unwrap UV. If I spherify whole shape, it is not going to give me great results in UV unwrap. Mesh would be uneven. If I keep initial sphere shape then UV will be close to circle and easier to texture. Besides that it is much easier to make circles inside sphere than spherified cube.
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    @SoDamnTrue, you got it wrong because there is to much polygonal tension on your model (shown above ) edges are to close from each other.

I think it is not necessary to have freakin accurate topo, you can just go with a sphere, select end, expand selection, delete, append a spherify cube, weld some points, make sure it matches your reference.
  • PetSto
    Offline / Send Message
    PetSto polycounter lvl 4
    Hi, polycommunity, I want ask, how you modeling Bolt Nut in subdivision. Is possible create bolt nut shapes better as I have on the image?

110ji12.jpg

OBJ https://mega.nz/#!hZwUTYyB!4uz4RLDFQsFIijUwBRqNBcDTCcTPxI3m1Ro6Glo_m-M
  • C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    This is your imported obj on my machine:

ghmkromp.jpg
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like good topology to me.
  • WarrenM
    Imports into MODO fine ...

2015-08-01%2009_01_15-bolt.obj_%20-%20MODO.jpg
  • Colddeez
    For any of you using max who want to see that file PetSto wanted people to take a look at...

Under the OBJ import options, Check import as a single mesh and then you can just split them up. Then it'll import fine.

Otherwise...

ghmkromp.jpg
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    Is possible create bolt nut shapes better as I have on the image?

Yes and no. it's totally fine, as long as it smooth good , and it does smh.
  • alter5
    So i suppose it´s a relatively easy one but for FKING HELL i cant get over this without making extreme artifacts.... soo yeah im basically stuck at modelling the tip of a sword(blade)

skullpoly.png

and this is how it looks like when i try to model it...

unbenannt.png

Thank you in advance!
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    I have an idea what your problem is, but can we see your wireframe?
  • alter5
    Fingus wrote: »
    I have an idea what your problem is, but can we see your wireframe?

Here you go.

unbenannt.png

unbenannt.png
  • alter5
    i offered a solution ages ago. Just review pages. Basically less geo is the key?

Ok less geo sounds like a really good approach i mean i can add more geo later if i need it while maintaining a stable poly flow without artifacts etc.

• a3D
    Dude, you're using too much geometry, and most of those edges don't flow regularly.
    2na06rq.jpg

Here, check the basics:
    1) https://vimeo.com/2650080
    2) https://vimeo.com/2158706
  • Fingus
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    You're using way too much geo which is causing pinching. Try to rely more on subdivision to make the curve your want.

q9lyFm9.png
    dIPq3IU.png
    HoIZWBm.png
    HnA2CVd.png

A bit sloppy, but it should demonstrate the idea well enough.
  • SoDamnTrue
    Is there a cleaner way to make an air flow intake hood? I didn't quite think it through when I started modeling this piece. Lack of geometry is starting to hurt, don't really want to make tris (if possible all quads). Tried to inset front part of air flow intake but it literally gives me no control. Maybe someone can give me good advice how to make it look better.

VgmTlCR.jpg

YCR4XPZ.jpg
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    well 2 ways.

First one is to Get the main shape done (with as few polys as possible)
    Then Sub-d once and work with the secondary shape.

second one is to do it as a floater.
    vJRuKJQ.jpg
    OnO0EC0.jpg
    QEpH2ke.jpg

my take on it! =)
  • SoDamnTrue
    wirrexx wrote: »
    well 2 ways.

First one is to Get the main shape done (with as few polys as possible)
    Then Sub-d once and work with the secondary shape.

second one is to do it as a floater.
    http://i.imgur.com/vJRuKJQ.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/OnO0EC0.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/QEpH2ke.jpg

my take on it! =)

Kind of tried your first method before and it did not give me the result I want. This reference picture might not describe problem well. Thank you for your effort tho.

fZe7zWu.jpg

Air flow intake is blending with hood in the back side of it. There is also lower part under intake but that's not priority right now.

VeUSKnT.jpg

Any more ideas?

Deleted air intake and starting scratch. Top view of topo.

hmz97WT.jpg

Uploaded part of my model to Sketchfab if someone wants to test.

https://skfb.ly/FNEv
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Have you seperated the Hood from the car? they are 2 different pieces and looking at your model right now, it looks like one piece..

1. looking at your topology, your edges are not quite even. To keep a nice and good curve, they need to be evenly distributed. Yours are not

2. This will make the curve you have and need, creating shading + pinching issues.

3. When an object is built seperatly, seperate it in the modell.
  • SoDamnTrue
    wirrexx wrote: »
    Have you seperated the Hood from the car? they are 2 different pieces and looking at your model right now, it looks like one piece..

Yes, I did something. TS 3 iterations 121K and 4 iterations 487K poly. It looks nice but even for close shot I think this is too much.

Right now it is like this.

II2Qysj.jpg

ynzDJ9m.png
  • supaclueless
    Offline / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 12
    You could also use FFD modifiers if you have that available to you. So you wont really have to worry about the minor angles and model it flat.
  • King Mango
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
    You just need a couple of more loops to tighten up your angles. Just play with their spacing to get the roundness you want. But just adding in those extra loops will get rid of that pinching.
  • SoDamnTrue
    King Mango wrote: »
    You just need a couple of more loops to tighten up your angles. Just play with their spacing to get the roundness you want. But just adding in those extra loops will get rid of that pinching.

Thank you.

perna wrote: »
    SoDamn: You truly don't need more suggestions, Wirrex gave you the best approaches off the bat.

You say you're avoiding triangles. That's strange. Just make the shape look good without giving yourself artificial limitations. Use as many triangles as needed.

It looks like you're in 3ds Max, so there should be no seam down the middle like you have - just use a symmetry modifier.

Lastly, while the major shape of the hood is curved, it looks like the problem area geometry is not, so just make it flat and this whole task will become a lot easier.

You are right, he gave me great ideas. It's my first ever personal hard modeling project just for learning. I am not good at it but I just heard that tris and bad and quads are good. So I try to avoid them as much as possible.

I changed mirror to symmetry. This thread is really helpful.