Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Harvester WIP

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
Death's Scythe 'Harvester' from Darksiders game. Just some a practice piece might use it in a UDK mod i'm working on with some friends. Just started working on the mats. Keep running into issues with xnormal normals not looking right. Might have to bake them in 3ds Max. harvester_wip_by_dimfist-d4d8gwt.jpg

Replies

• burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great start. Can you post your wires so we could see your work flow?
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I built the high poly in zbrush then retopo'd in zbrush and 3ds max. Maybe i should of built the blade separately but I approached it more organically from the concept art I used. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. it sits at 6,666 tris :Dharvesterwipwire_by_dimfist-d4d8ixo.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Oh man i welcome any Darksiders Fan art. Love that game and art. I would of had the blade separate personally but you're doing well.

Only crit from me its that the screaming skull should be wider than you have it now. Take a little peek at this image.
    Harvester.jpg
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I can see, you can definitely remove a lot of edge loops, since you're going to use a normal map, take advantage of it. You can bake the little details like the bevels on the handle into it. Any edge loops that aren't changing the silhouette can be removed. I would also make the blade into a separate mesh rather than have it modeled into the body. It can be modeled, unwrapped, and textured a lot easier.
  • Killaball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To tell you the truth, I came here looking for a model of something like this
    martin-page-yellow-new-holland-combine-harvester-harvesting-wheat-field-uk.jpg

But I digress, with a good texture and remove most of the unneeded geo on it it would be a good piece.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Killaball - me too

...everything i could say has been said, like lowering the polycount and separating the blade. Perhaps a shot of it from other angles could open it up to new crits?
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all of that white stuff on the blade could be a transparency mapped plane and save u a bunch of polies
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet thanks for the feedback! Much needed. Also thanks Di$array for the screengrab. Gonna follow that more closely.
  • Clintus Maximus
    Lol @Killaball: me too!

But hey awesome stuff. I do really enjoy the Darksiders art style!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok basically did a full rework. Made a separate blade, tweaked out the silhouette and unwrapped it. Going to do some high detail work then bake. Thanks for all the feedback. Will post it again once I have the mats on it.harvesterwiprework_by_dimfist-d4dbkam.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah knocked off about 1400 tris. It's sitting at 5300 exactly.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it down to about 4700tris. Still needs a little more wear and tear to blade and a spec map but I need to get some sleep.314672_10150437699760962_662845961_10607760_676985158_n.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I'm done for now. Added a spec and some wear and tear. Thanks for all the great feedback. :D298549_10150438467265962_662845961_10611849_47803680_n.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    quick note: were you going for an actual remaking of the weapon from the game or are you just basing it on the scythe? If you're actually going for a remake, there are several key differences in your model from the original:

The form and flow of the original follows a more winding curve and yours limits itself to a much straighter contour. You've eliminated the curve from the long part of the handle and the ornate top part as well.

Another thing is your material definition. A lot of the original texture seems to have a more hand painted feel. In this way, the metals are much darker and specular than what you're working with. Plus, it seems as though you've made it wooden instead, which doesn't match at all. At this point I think you need to really go back and observe the concept. The reference image you have is nice, but it's still skewed. If you're working from an actual model sheet, then great, but if not I'd suggest finding one or altering the perspective in photoshop and getting it as close as possible.

This has the potential to be a really nice piece, but I think you should take everyone else's crits about the tri count and function a little more to heart. Good luck :)
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I modeled it off a pen sketch, and wanted to go for a wooden feel instead of the metallic one they have. To me I felt like giving it a hand carved feel. Its going to be a bonus weapon in a fps mod, so from what I've heard, the tri count is ok.
    Thank you for the great feedback! I've never played the game but I really liked the concept piece I found and wanted to model a weapon. This is my first weapon as well. I will check into adjusting the spec on the blade. Still haven't quite got the hang of the spec settings in marmoset. Any suggestions on my spec map?232323232%7Ffp%3A%3C4%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E66%3A%3E%3A%3A8%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C23%3B94%3A633%3Anu0mrj
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hiya DimFist. I am actually the guy who is making many of the weapons for Darksiders 2 here at Vigil...

I think you're off to a nice start, but your "low" poly is about 4-5x too many. Try getting your tri count down to more like, 1,000-1,500 as that's a more realistic budget for this sort of thing.

Your sculpt is a little soft and blobby I think. You could maybe spend a little more time sharpening up your forms, and making things read better before you retopo & bake next time.

All in all tho, not too bad. I always love coming on Polycount and seeing the Darksiders fan art!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds great. I'll give it a wack. hehe I will trim that polycount down as much as possible.
    Also I haven't really painted anything in the 'hand painted' style before. I'd love if anyone had a link for that sort of thing. Once again thanks!
    I have a few friends working over at vigil. I just graduated and trying to get my stuff up to spec, so maybe one day join the ranks. :D