Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | April 2014 | Man n Monkey

Replies

• polymator
    Offline / Send Message
    polymator polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the crits guys. Here's an update on teh face. I'll be moving on to the body now but I'm sure I'll continue to noodle on the face throughout the process.

@Torch Thanks man I hope he has more of that dreary/forlorn look this time

@M4rt3 You're right about sculpting the moustache but it was just there to help me visualize his face. I remade them as separate subtools.

@Bacn Thanks! Expressions are not typically baked into the low-res model but I figured, what the heck. Are the lips looking ok now?

@PyZern I defined his forehead a bit more and gave him some love under the eyes. Not really going for a realistic look here so I don't wanna wrinklify his face too much.

@thepapercut Thanks man and you're correct the nose was flattened a bit too much. Hope it reads ok now.

xHHmd1y.jpg
  • polymator
    Offline / Send Message
    polymator polycounter lvl 6
    @Jon Mills Great start on the capuchin though the way you're attempting this won't allow for rigging it.

@stevston89 Woah nice! looking forward to seeing your take on the monkey.

@Brandon.LaFrance I like the stylization of the concept but maybe bring the head down just a smidge?

@Dimfist Looking good. The legs appear to be a bit on the short side.

@PyrZern Cool planes on your sculpt man but because you limited the planes to the face the clothes look like they're following a different art direction. Also you could maybe try thickening the neck a bit, he looks too scrawny.

@TheQuietPotato Sweet details can't wait for the rest
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Has the hangout died? Every time I join its empty..
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    Has the hangout died? Every time I join its empty..

Same. Maybe we keep missing each other :P
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Online / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    elfronza: Real quality sculpting. Clothing is looking fantastic, though I would consider throwing more wrinkles around the armpits. I do think you can get a closer likeness to the concept while maintaining a realistic style. Longer face, more robust jawline, larger chin, etc.

stevston89: Really clean work. I think the cheekbones could use some work, as well as the area of the jaw right behind the chin. (Jowls?)

Dimfist: Hard to tell without any facial hair, but I think the brow could use more definition.

PyrZern: I like where you're going with the planar definition, but i think you need to nail the facial forms before cutting those edges in. Overall, the face looks too long and narrow, the jaw is too pointy, and the cheekbones could protrude a bit more.

TheQuietPotato: Awesome work. Not a whole lot to say. I think if anything, the eyes are the weakest part. If you decide to take the portrait further, I would concentrate your efforts there.

MrAwexome: You're off to a great start, man. When you're focusing on anatomy, think about the skeleton first. Focus on the bony landmarks first, that will give you a solid structure to wrap your muscles over.

Jarvgrimr: Looking good, man. Try to be more deliberate with your strokes, and don't overdo it with the smooth brush.

WIP20140413.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @polymator Feels his nose a tad too long, and his cheekbones really drawing attention to themselves too much.

@Brandon.LaFrance Thanks. I will work more on and triple check his facial features first thing tomorrow. // Really like what you got there. Love his cheekbones the sides of his nose.

Made this yesterday but forgot to post :( I smoothened some of his features a bit. Trying something different with his chin and his cheeks as well. And worked a lot on his torso. I think I got his tricep a tad too big <_<"
    10258460_10152310971765115_3332119312082686330_o.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Hangout Empty?
  • CLo
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    tumblr_n3zv1gQPrB1tvqhkgo1_1280.png

tumblr_n3zv1gQPrB1tvqhkgo2_1280.png

tumblr_n3zv1gQPrB1tvqhkgo3_1280.png

Finally got caught up on homework, didn't like the other one I'd started so I started over from scratch. Feeling fairly good about how he's going though I know I have a ton of errors in it!
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Dimfist Thanks!

@ QuietPotato - Thanks! I think I am going to make the arms more a symmetrical since the tattoos are anyways.

@ polmator - Thanks! Haven't decided whether or not I am going to make the monkey yet. I have to see how I do on time.

@ Brandon.LaFrance - Not quite sure what you think needs fixing. Could you clarify?

I moved on to low poly. Currently prototyping materials in Marmoset. Only the head is low poly right now the rest is the high poly with a material thrown on it. I will get some crits up tomorrow! I should get in on these hangouts. Anyone got a link I will try to hop on it tomorrow. Here is a screen for now.

rCX2bnh.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Anyone got a link I will try to hop on it tomorrow. Here is a screen for now.

It's in my first post of the thread. At the top, can't miss it :)
  • RitualSynergY
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    @ John, great start man, really like how its turning out!

@ polymator, much improved, looking to see the rest now :D

@ Brandon, solid so far man. I do feel that the legs are deflated in comparison to the rest of him though, and short as well. Also his pelvis needs to be lengthened. Keep pushing!

@ PyrZern, great to see progress with you man. On this update his biceps are exceptionally massive, you might want to try and bring down the overall volume. As is stands right now they bleed into the other muscles.

@ CLo, Never too late to join the party. Cool start, see you building in the forms, I would make sure you watch your proportions moving forward and make sure its all nailed. :D

Also, thanks for the crits guys, very helpful and spot on. I did my best to apply them and keep pushing forward. Still working on finalizing the clothes/face/hands, but all critiques are very much appreciated!

fl1EZWr.png
  • rino
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    Hangout Empty?

i was in there few times, alone. hangout is dead it seems.
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Been working on the face texture. Pretty happy with it currently. Hvane't made the spec or gloss yet so I still have a lot of work to do. Gotta low poly everything else now. Here is a screen with some different lighting setups. Oh yeah got the facial hair in there too!

ZHxphgU.jpg
  • M4rt3
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Been working on the face texture. Pretty happy with it currently. Hvane't made the spec or gloss yet so I still have a lot of work to do. Gotta low poly everything else now. Here is a screen with some different lighting setups. Oh yeah got the facial hair in there too!

ZHxphgU.jpg

wow, i'm so behind xD...i'm a bit busy right now but i'll try my best to finish it in time (update and feedbacks coming soon).

in the meanwhile thanks for the critiques...and stevston89, hats off ! it looks awesome :O
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    GOt to put a few hours in today on the sculpt. Face is pretty close, need to start accenting some of the ridges in the eyebrow and then add some poors and smaller wrinkles.
    Started to block out the wrinkles on the clothes, and blocked in the hair.
    232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7%3C58%3Dot%3E982%3C%3D563%3D345%3DXROQDF%3E264%3B892%3A2%3C254ot1lsi

Steveston: The far right render is boss.
    Riceart: Nice start. Good to see you in the comp.
    Ritual: Looking pretty good so far. Would love to see the face a bit closer!
    Clo: Looks a bit too high subd for blocking in form Maybe dynamesh it to a lower subd and get those shapes set.
    Jon: Looks great so far man.
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    No one else has posted since my last update so I will do critiques after some new work is shown.
    Got some time in today. Need to finish the hat details, Arms, and final touches on skin. Might give the pants another go, definitely going to add a base texture to it (noise mod).
    Cheers!
    232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A347%3Dot%3E982%3C%3D563%3D345%3DXROQDF%3E264%3B%3A46679254ot1lsi
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Dimfist - Looking good. Still think the legs are a bit short. Also the butt area kinda looks like a diaper might want to rework that area.

Slow going. Got the hair in there and work on the eyes. Also got the shirt to low poly. No normals on the shirt yet. Gotta get the rest finished and uved before I bake. Here is a screen.

wr6kKt1.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol good call on the diaper thing. Totally forgot to put pockets on the pants...new there was a reason I had too much room to go crazy with wrinkles.
    Stevston: Love the style man. Looking forward to finished product.
  • CLo
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    @RitualSynergY Thanks! always good to keep being reminded proportion proportion proportion. I shall get there someday! I'm digging your guy so far. Can't wait to see what it looks like with the hair, eyebrows, and mustache!

@Dimfist I have a habit of going into high sub div way to fast, need to work on not doing that as well. Also I feel your bottom bicep might be dropping too low near the elbow area, but it could be the angle too.

Got another hour or so put into the guy. Just proportions and position of limb tweaking. Gave him a bit of a roll around the mid section too.

tumblr_n44yibVDwZ1tvqhkgo1_1280.png
    tumblr_n44yibVDwZ1tvqhkgo2_1280.png
    tumblr_n44yibVDwZ1tvqhkgo3_1280.png
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @CLo He looks quite thick from the sideview. Especially the back of his head.

Managed to put some time in this. I'm rapidly losing interest <_<" Might have to finish this fast, or it might never get completed.
    1493575_10152320314945115_3011050548936870233_o.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a skin pass, still fleshing out details in the forearms and hands but very close to being done with the hi poly. After looking at it one more time I will lengthen the legs more to match the concept! Thanks for pointing that out.
    Ozz: Nice start.
    Pyr: Push on through baby! One of the things about being a game artist is working on assets you don't want to work on, necessarily.
    Clo: Looking forward to seeing some more! Keep it up :D
    232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7%3B29%3Dot%3E982%3C%3D563%3D345%3DXROQDF%3E264%3C4%3B6%3C54254ot1lsi
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone hav ea good site that doesn't compress the pics? I use snapfish and it seems to compress them quite a bit.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I use Imgur, love it.
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    where is everybody? since days, nobody is in the hangout.
  • renato.medeiros
    Offline / Send Message
    renato.medeiros polycounter lvl 11
    hello folks,

Next step Fix modeling, details and UV's.

140419093350967959.jpg[/URL]
  • rino
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    okay three of us on google hangout, join in peoplez.
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Hangouts do not have permanent links anymore, once the hangout is empty the link is basically broken and everybody that clicks it gets sent to a room by themselves. You have to set up a google+ page and have everybody join through that.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    It already is a Google+ Event. We already made it permanent since mid March. or something
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c7fe9g4molu8u9fs73a0274dvh4?authkey=CLjb6MKl34ml1gE
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Online / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Dimifist: Looking good, man. I think your nostrils might be flaring a bit too much, and I think your pants are too tight around the crotch. Give those balls some breathing room!
    PyrZern: Looks good with some color on it. Don't forget, the guy is wearing his hat to the side. The collar's kinda getting out of control there, too. Hang in there, you're almost done.
    Take a look at this ref to get a feel for where the facial planes should go:
    planes.jpg
    Renato: Nice work. Face and arms look great. Your topology is getting a bit wonky around the crotch, though. Are you sculpting at all or is this strictly poly modeling?
    Stevston89: Awesome progress. Ignore what I said about the jaw, it looks fine now. Only crit I've got at this point is about the eyes, they look a tad bit too far apart.

Here's my progress. I think I'm about 95% there with the sculpt. I want to get a bit more definition in the arms and hands before I start on the low poly. Hope to be texturing within the next couple days.

WIP20140419_Full.jpg

WIP20140419_Portrait.jpg
  • simmou23
    Some impressive work here
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    PyrZern wrote: »
    It already is a Google+ Event. We already made it permanent since mid March. or something
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c7fe9g4molu8u9fs73a0274dvh4?authkey=CLjb6MKl34ml1gE

That is my point. You need to link people to THAT page, not the link you put on the OP of the thread. The link you have on the OP will have problems with people ending up in empty rooms by themselves.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked just fine last month. (Hangout peers last month mostly not doing this month) But I will take your words for it.

Fixed. First post updated.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna start new voting thread for May tomorrow.
    Let's pick something more fun!
  • PyrZern
  • Brikbrice
    Offline / Send Message
    Brikbrice polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys !

This is my proposition !

tumblr_n4j4ql22Ew1rh9m1to2_1280.png
    edit?usp=sharing

tumblr_n4j4ql22Ew1rh9m1to1_1280.png

First model for me here.
    20 days of working. First time I go throught the all process ! :poly128:

there is different stage of my work

tumblr_n4j4ql22Ew1rh9m1to3_1280.png

Bye bye !
  • CLo
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    tumblr_n4nlm58jAx1tvqhkgo1_500.png

Hate to post this up here, but I'm at my wits end. This is the second time I've had a texture and nm bake out like this in zbrush. Not sure why it's doing it, haven't found any errant geometry or anything. Any help is much appreciate!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    You meant that horizontal line thingy ? or the upper right pieces overlapping as well ?

Haven't baked anything in ZB, to be honest. Try baking it in Xnormal yet ?
  • CLo
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah, tried xnorm. Can't figure out how to do the texture map. But got a decent AO and NM lol. And yeah, the horizontal line, second time in a row I've had that happen, no errant geometry or anything going on. So not sure why it'd have that line stretched like that. Found a work around last time, testing it out now, but would love not to have that happen again.

Edit. Nevermind! I figured out the problem and it's my own durpiness! lol
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you figure it out :)
    And if you want to bake vertex color in Xnormal, here's how.

ueVYIsb.png
  • CLo
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome! Didn't even see that option! I totally am an xnorm newb lol.
  • renato.medeiros
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey again,

this is my character, I keep fix modleing, textures and shade.

14042805332055939.jpg

Brandon.LaFrance: Thanks dude, I modeling the topology with poly by poly.
  • renato.medeiros
    Offline / Send Message
    [SKETCHFAB]36a120b34e0647cebd4b564047a2e508[/SKETCHFAB]
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Well done man. Great job finishing this.
  • DEDE_pig
    Offline / Send Message
    DEDE_pig polycounter lvl 8
    Good job there renato.medeiros

But there a few anatomy issues that you need to keep note on your next character model.

1) The triceps have alot of polishing. there a strange bump in the inner side.
    2) The brachioradialis is way too protruding out.
    3) The pectoralis major is lacking some volume. Thus making your chest look flat yet bulking feeling.
    4) The Rig cage is way to protruding.
    5) This one I'm not sure about it, but is regarding the twisting of the forearm. Couldn't really feel the forearm was twisted due to the pose. Might be because of the veins that you places isnt following the muscles especially on the left forearm.

Hope what I say could help you in becoming a better artist :D
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Ok guys won't have it finished by tomorrow. Just got some freelance work I need to get done. I did manage to get everything baked out and started texturing. Hope to get some time this weekend to finish it up. Anyways here is a wip shot:

5AMFVRB.jpg
  • Jon Mills
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Mills polycounter lvl 6
    @stevston89: awesome work man, really like the style you went for and good going to get to the stage you have!

So here's where I've got to, obviously no where near finished in terms of a game ready model, but struggled to find a lot of free time to crack on with this character, but I'm going to continue with it and hopefully get it baked down and textured soon, as high poly isn't too far away now

qrYIwQh.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the low poly now. Don't have anything to show but maybe I can at least have a rough done tomorrow before I have to go to work (work nights)
    Jon Mills: I like your sculpt. Its got a nice feel to it.
    Steveston: Nice job good luck with the freelance gig.
    Renato. He looks surprised! Grats on finishing it in time. As said previously by Dede Pig there are some anatomical issues.
    BrickBrice: Nice forward progress. I think his lack of eyelids scares me a little.
    Cheers!
  • ultim8alex
    Here is where I am at at the end of the month, I really wanted to make everything (clothes, etc.) in Zbrush. I'd like to think that compared to my last post I really improved on the sculpt! Anyways I will be working on this till it's finished hopefully soon since I am almost done with the High Poly sculpt and I have already tested baking on the low poly with good results.

img-wip_002.png
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Ok guys so I finished him up texture wise... I still have to get him posed out. I might make the monkey... Might... Anyways here is a screen:

oIWifP3.jpg