Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | April 2014 | Man n Monkey

Replies

• M4rt3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    9qbj.jpg

almost done with the face (still need to sculpt ears and smallest details).
    so it will be time for the part i hate most...the goddamn hands!!!:poly122:

d_alema_si_difende_dalle_accuse_nessuna_mia_regia_contro_prod-0-0-361875.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Small update from me. Will crit when I get the chance. It would be nice if more people were giving crits. Anyways worked on the shoes and cloth a bit also blocked in some hair.

nSq72KZ.jpg
  • Palla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Palla polycounter lvl 7
    M4rt3- Your forms are looking nice! The neck seems a bit thin to me, though maybe its just that you havn't yet sculpted the transition into the shoulders

stevenson- I really like how this is shaping up! Nice forms, and your folds are looking great. Doing a quick check of the proportions compared to the concept, maybe the legs could be lengthened a bit?

Just finished the blockout of the body, as well as the first detail pass of the bust. Looking at it again, I also need to lengthen his lower leg a bit. Clothes next!

aprilchallengeroughscreenie1.png
  • renato.medeiros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renato.medeiros polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys, nice jobs.
    I start the character modeling, hope u like.

16j25iu.jpg
  • renato.medeiros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, nice jobs.

16j25iu.jpg
  • renato.medeiros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guyz, nice jobs!!

My character, hope you like.

16j25iu.jpg
  • renato.medeiros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think the decline of criticism is also because some are already given inside the Hangout.

@M4rt3 Awesome face. Reads just like the concept ! Keep it up!

@stevston89 I think his elbows are too stylized bony, compared to the rest of his arms. Nice wrinkles you got there !

@UmiPhoenix Like what you do with his face. Though I think the muscle on his back is quite overkill... Too much fat IMO.

Blocked in the monkey :P Will adjust his head/hat again. Also gonna remake the shirt and pants.
    1618360_10152294322850115_1650359545_o.jpg
  • OniRice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniRice polycounter lvl 5
    Hi all,

I've been lacking on my model but that shall change!

Blocked in a face and body today, not sure if i'll keep the proportions on the arms just yet but it's a WIP. I'm going to try and hash out as much anatomy as i can before the week ends, i just can't be happy if its not all there...

manAndMonkey_WIP_zpsed5d9c12.jpg
  • Palla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Palla polycounter lvl 7
    Anybody know what kind of monkey that is? Itching to find some ref.

EDIT: Found it! It's the capuchin, for anyone looking.
  • renato.medeiros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • renato.medeiros
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So many awesome work in progresses, keep up the good work guys!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @UmiPhoenix Hey thanks ! I used a diff kind of monkey for its general anatomy, but capuchin monkey seems to be it for the head/face.

At first I was just gonna have a monkey statue-like, but someone said I should just treat it like a diff character as well. So, t-posed monkey coming soon. Gotta make its head more round and circular !

892200_10152296630600115_1876454884_o.jpg
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
  • renato.medeiros
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Wow. You guys are really putting forward some good work here. Keep it up guys ! :D
  • Jon Mills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Mills polycounter lvl 6
    some nice progress in here!

@ M4rt3: nice progress on the face, getting some good likeness to the concept, maybe try and define the cheek bones and jaw line a little more as its reading a little lumpy atm

@ PyrZern: nice job on the character so far, I would make his legs read thinner as they do in the concept and try and get that top heavy feel he should have, also i think his chin needs to come lower and neck should be much longer and wider, also check the scale of the monkey as his head should come pretty much level to the dudes head, look forward to seeing more! :)

heres a little more progress from me, just been trying to refine his upper body a little more and progressed a little with his head, will move onto his trousers next and make sure his proportion are reading properly in the lower body
    early_prog.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jon Mills Thanks a lot man. I made some adjustments like you said, and he's already looking better. Gonna refine more of his upper body. Kinda hard to make him muscular without appearing fat, :) I'm super skinny so I don't like seeing anything fat <_<"
  • polymator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polymator polycounter lvl 6
    @Jon Mills Nice man! I think you've pretty much nailed the muscular-but-still-has-some-fat body type of the concept

Started on the challenge. Working on the face a bit to try and get the feel of the model first.

UeaeS98.jpg
  • CLo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    Ugh, everyones doing such amazing work! I gotta get this capstone stuff I'm doing out of the way so I can get back to work on this!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Polymator - Good work on the face dude, the forms are pretty good :) I think the eyes and brow could do with a bit more shaping (even though its blockout,) in the concept they're a little sadder and more arced upwards near the nose while on your sculpt they're more downwards giving him a more of a stern look (in the concept he looks stern, but still more so in your sculpt.) Great progress though, looking forward to seeing more :)
  • M4rt3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    great stuff going on around here :D

stevston89 : that's almost perfect. i would just make the hands and wrists bigger.

UmiPhoenix : i like the sculpting style but i think u need to lower the hips as right now the proportions ar kinda dwarvish :D

PyrZern : the neck looks too thin to me and i would also move the ears forward (they usually are almost in the baricenter of the skull as they also deal with the balance of the body)

OniRice : that looks cool. it feel too slim but probably u're going to add some fat later.

Jon Mills : that is impressive. the arms and face resemble the concept a lot. my only point is about the clavicles. the clavicle should be almost flat if u look it from the front view

polymator : nice progess with the face. i would not sculpt the mustache on the face and actually for my model i painted over the concept to remove them so i could get a better feeling of the shapes

i started working on the shirt and i'm going to post an update soon.
    in the meanwhile Gj everybody and keep up the good work :D
  • Bacn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bacn polycounter lvl 13
    @renato.medeiros- Love the muscle definition on him. He's gonna look fantastic when you're done. But you might want to shrink the trapezius and the stomach.

@PryZern- The face seems oddly angular on top of that body. Ever think about putting some super sharp definition for the arm muscles as well?

@polymator- Love the expression on your guy, but I agree with Torch. Something about the mouth also feels off. Maybe angled down a little too far on the sides?

As usual, every time I get on this thread I feel like redoing the entire character over from scratch to try and match you guys!

qrIt3Ml.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @polymator Looks nice thus far there ! I think his forehead should be stronger/more stern. And the area under his eyes could use more more definition.

@renato.medeiros Whoa, there. I swear ALL of your posts just suddenly pop out of nowhere. Did you go back in time to post em :P ? He looks way too hulky though.

@M4rt3 Thanks man. I will double check those stuff.

@Bacn I haven't really gave definition to the arms yet, I plan to though. Also, I think you can push his silhouette more. Like arms or his head.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Here's my WIP. Got to start on this today, I know I'm a bit late but hope to finish in time.
    I will write another post for critiques! Cheers!232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B7%3A5%3Dot%3E982%3C%3D563%3D345%3DXROQDF%3E264%3A937%3A49254ot1lsi
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bacn: You have improved a lot man. I'd work on some color variation in the skins to make it look more fleshlike.
    TagLol: So far so good except for the sternocleidomastoid muscles are not attaching to the proper place.
    TheQuietPotato: Love how the face is looking, its got great character so far. I have to say the same thing with your Sterno muscles as well, that whole clavical
    seems to be spread out too far.
    Steveston89: Looking great so far. Maybe give him a tad more ass. lol :D
    JonMills: Nice musculature.
    TheodorUrhed: Keep it up!
    Dami_Boz: Looking godo I think his jaw should be a little more wide in the mastoid connection region. Also watch where the mastoids connect to the clavicle.
    MrAwexome: Nice progress. I believe he is a tad too muscular but you are still in early stages so easily refined.
    PyrZern: Round out those features, everything is so sharp/edgy. The muscles in the forarms look a bit off.
    M4rt3: I am diggin it so far. His bottom lip seems a bit small and pursed.
    Amaury: You have some good things goin on in the forearms. :D
    oniRice: damn those muscles :D Might be a bit too heavy but they look nice :D
    Renato Looking nice man but his shoulders are definitely massive.
    UmiPhoenix: Nice style Looking forward to how you resolve it.
    Ultim8Alex: The lower eyelids should be sunken in some, as of now they push out and look like they are futher out then the cheeks.
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, fantastic work guys.
    @dimfist: Love that face. I don't know why though but the hands feel a little soft to me..but they angle in the image isn't good to judge either so..it could just be me seeing things.
    @bacn: fingers and palm look stretched out a bit. Like the color palette you got going though!
    @polymator: Amazing start on the head. Don't know why but the nose feels a little shrunken in when I glance at the concept and back at your image.
    @jon Mills: wow, you nailed that face.
    @pyrzern: That monkey face is a great start, has a good fullness like all monkeys should.
  • RitualSynergY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY greentooth
    Hey guys! Great work going on, very cool project to work on! Since most of the critiques have been spot on, Ill keep from repeating too much and just keep it to the recent ones.

@Bacn - Cool stuff so far, but I think you can really push the anatomy a bit more, try and think about the overall shape before going too much into the details.

@Dimfist - Great work man, I like where your going with it. I do feel the arms are a tad small in comparison to the concept. Perhaps a bit more volume and larger shoulders? Also it seems like his legs might be a tad short to me.

Finally I have a chance to post what I have so far. Started the base for some of the attire, still have to work on the hands and face a bit. Any critique will be greatly appreciated! Thx!

hVYttzj.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dimfist Oh no, man. I'm not rounding up those features :P I'mma sharpen em up even more, muwhahahah. Ahem.... Digging your form, man. I think you got his face a little too aged. And his wrists seem oddly twisted. But liking the overall a lot !

@thepapercut Thanks! I feel I got the monkey a little too much an ape instead. Still working on it :)

@RitualSynergY Nice start there. His face seems rather generic at the moment. Can't wait when you give him more details !

Alright, here's my today result. Not quite familiar with some planes of muscles, but I'm working on it. .... Added: Oh god, his biceps look so wrong <_<"
    V8hUUKK.jpg
  • renato.medeiros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job!!
    Hey guys sorry for my flood, but before I can't input my character.
    Thanks Dimfist, soon I change the character shoulders.
    Bacn, Ok, I will shrink the trapezius, thanks!!!
    PyrZern Sorry, but thanks for tips!!!
    Thanks!!!
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    I always monitored every character challenge thread so far, and this is by far that has awesome entries all around. Great job guys. Probably going to join sometimes.

@Pyzern
    IMO, beside those arm, maybe you should fix his lower lips and his cheek bones. Try looking at other entries since a lot of them had done it right.
    But overall, i can see you have improved a lot right now.
  • M4rt3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    Dimfist : u're right, the lips were too small :)

quick update: i merged head,chest and ears (i will keep the arms separated) and started working on the shirt :D.

I also started blocking out the hands but i'm not happy at all so i'm going to resculpt them(man, this way of keeping the stuff separated is awesome in case u totally mess up something xD)

oa6f.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Crits:

Alot of people seem to be making the legs way too short. If you check his proportions his legs a quite a bit longer than the distance between the top of his head and the bottom of his pelvis. Also there are a lot of anatomical errors going on. I recommend looking at this anatomy model by Rafael Grassetti.

@ renato.medeiros - Looking good. Watch your proportions. You oversized the arms a bit too much. Also you made the deltiod way too big and the pectoral muscle way to narrow. It should attach almost at the middle of the arm where the deltoid and bicep meet. Head is looking small as well.

@ Bacn - You really should slow down on these. Take your time get the overall forms correct and then make sure to get proper anatomical structure notated. Might be worth it to start again from the sculpt.

@ Dimfist - Nice start, though a couple of proportion things to watch out for. Make sure to lengthen your legs. Also pump up his trapezius muscles so they are more visible from the front.

@ RitualSynergY - Musculature is looking pretty good. The legs are way too short though. Hands are looking tiny. Also I think you might have made the shoulder too wide.

@ PyrZern - Looking good. Not a huge fan of the sharp muscles planes. Watch your proportions. The trapezius muscles aren't reaching high enough on the neck. Lengthen your legs they are looking a bit short. It looks like he has no deltoid muscle currently which is making them feel detached from the body. I think you may have exaggerated the forearms a bit. Also make those hands bigger. Take a look at the anatomy model I linked at the top of the post it might help out.

@ M4rt3 - Looking real nice. Only thing I notice is the head might be too big. Keep it up.

Ok on to me. Hard drive that housed my OS failed a few days ago so I couldn't work ( no lost data just couldn't run my computer :/ ). Got back up and running now. Got a bit of work done on the hair. Also touch up some proportions. Still have to clean up things and work on that hat...

qb99yRy.jpg
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Tons of good work this month. Here's my progress. I'll post some crits tomorrow.

WIP20140410.jpg
  • elfronza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elfronza polycounter lvl 7
    Hi guys, I have decided to give a more realistic style to the character, please tell me what you guys think (the fibermesh there will be baked to the skin and should be used under the real beard and hair to give a smooth transition between skin and hair, the hair will obviously be made out of planes and textures with alphas) :D

ZBrush_Document.jpg

Also, I will fix the hands a bit more (maybe add some thickness to it, it definitely lacks nails). I also want to add details to the whole character before I texture him :D. It came to my mind to pose him with a shotgun and the little capuchin speaking some stuff to his ear.

cheers
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Brandon.LaFrance - Looking good. Head looks a bit small.

@ elfronza - Nice start. Did you use Marvelous designer for the cloth? Either way it's pretty unusable for a low poly model. The butt pockets on the pants are placed way to far to the side. I think you are showing way too much muscle through the shirt as well. Feet look a bit big.

Ok so pretty much done with my high poly. Might keep working on it and add loots of smaller details. Here is a screen:

vxwGGp1.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RitualSynergY: I like the musculature a lot!
    Pyr: I think what was said about the planes and the lower lip is dead on. Looking much improved though.
    M4rt3: Love the syle on your face. Looks like Vincent Price a bit. I think the forarms are bent at an impossible angle, maybe just a quick rotation
    to line up the bones.
    Steveston89: Thanks for the crits, I agree and tried to make those changes. Looking very cool and stylized on your end man.
    BrandonLaFrance: Glad you could join. Looking solid so far. The neck looks a tad long from this angle.
    Elfronza: Looking pretty dang sharp man. Nothing like the concept but looking forward to how it pans out.
    Small WIP update.
    232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A486%3Dot%3E982%3C%3D563%3D345%3DXROQDF%3E264%3B2%3A93%3B3254ot1lsi
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Further defined his face. Also made changes to his chin and his mouth area. Readjusted his proportion and revamped his torso again. Still not happy with the form of his arms and shoulders though. This is super hard.

Gonna crash now, so I will post crits tomorrow. Nite nite world.

1606231_10152305956945115_6082948725015432756_o.jpg
  • Skinpop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9
    Concept art image in op is not showing :/
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Skinpop - Ah yeah cghub is down for a lot of people here is a new link to the image. The artist is james kei.

tumblr_mcmhe4ZgQQ1qibtmzo1_1280.jpg
  • elfronza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elfronza polycounter lvl 7
    cool stevston89 and dimfist, how could I make the pants in marvelous so it could be deformable for a lowpoly mesh? And yes, i am just inspired by the concept, not really trying to copy it. I will see what i can do about the muscles showing under the shirt, maybe its just too tight.

This is how my capuchin monkey is doing, i will fill him with hair, so only the anatomy of the face hands and feet will show up.
    original_550549_ueatlzcdanbzpixcozkcv5v53.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ elfronza - you just don't want so many overlapping folds. Since the geometry is overlapping it makes it quite difficult to get in the and actually get the retopo and bake right. Here is a good example of what you want pants too look like. Note the are a lot of fold, but none of them actually overlap.
    6ui491Q.jpg
  • TheQuietPotato
    @pyrzen One crit would be to change the little ledge thing you have running under the mouth, looks a little strange currently.

@stevston89 Looking really good! Just a couple of crits from me. Maybe change the veins on his arms as they stand out as symmetrical, andthe bumps on his wrists are looking a bit large at the minute.

As for me, not had too much time to work on this of late but made some progress with the head. Hair, ears, and mustache are still a wip.
    NBNgF6r.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Cool Potato - Lateral canthus needs to be higher than the medial

AJolieEye1.jpg

...apart from that great job :)
  • MrAwexome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrAwexome polycounter lvl 6
    Hey everybody, I'm moving kinda slow at the moment but i should finish on time, worked mostly on anatomy and just finished adding the hands today.
    i'll try to post some crits when i can, school just started up again so i've been focusing on those projects

hands_zspheres.jpg
    bpr_render3_4.jpg
    bpr_renderback.jpgbpr_render.jpg
  • Jarvgrimr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarvgrimr polycounter lvl 10
    Crits:

@Pyrzen - I like your angled style of sculpting, really suits the concept art itself, but he looks like his shoulders should stick out a bit more, as he is very broad across the chest in the concept piece. I also agree with TheQuietPotato about the under-lip bulge, it's too defined, where as in the concept it's more of a... bulge.

@dimfist - the angle from the neck to the shoulders looks like it could be increased; the concept has a really steep style from the neck to the shoulder, and it really gives the character his "look".

@m4rt3 - looking good man! Can't wait to see how it develops :D

@TheQuietPotato - Also looking really good, looking forward to the next update!

@MrAwexome - A good start, the head and feet look a bit small at the moment. Are you trying to match the concept art's style or do something of your own? If sticking with the concept's style try slimming up the torso a touch. But as you are in these early anatomy stages, this is something you can change later :)

Here is my latest update, any crits and comments would be appreciated, I am currently in a weird limbo - still making some big changes, and using dynamesh, but I feel I need to move into the big detailing phase. One thing that has me confounded is how to make the collar... I've tried doing mesh extract, that didn't work that well. Any tips?

6nyh8.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jarvgrimr Thanks man. I will double check the shoulders again :P

I make his collar its own subtool, using dynamesh and hpolish or flatten to shape it up. I'm still making big changes to his torso, so the collar isn't final. When it is, I will just zremesh and reproject it.

I feel you got his legs a tad too short, btw !
  • Jon Mills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Mills polycounter lvl 6
    so much great work coming together from everyone! ill leave some crit for you guys soon :)

heres where i am atm, some small updates to body and positioned left hand, other hand needs posing correctly. Also blocked out the monkey, will work on anatomy of monkey next and correct his proportions and focus on clothing of the character

prog_2.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Jon looks awesome man, great start! You have to finish now :D