Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critiques Please!

Humblebee08
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Humblebee08 polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, I'm in the process of compiling my work on my website. I'm focusing on modelling and texturing for video games but I'm more of a generalist. I would appreciate critiques of both my work and the overall site. Let me know if there's any glaring mistakes on my part! Thanks guys!

joemaleski.com

Replies

• Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    This really just comes down to personal preference, but I prefer a dark background for portfolios. It makes your art stand out more.

The car model seems pretty good, but I'd put a better material(s) on it and spend some more time on the presentation. Use a glossy material with more reflectivity so you can easily see the contours of your model. You can use marmoset tb2 for high poly models too, and the results are great for the amount of time spent. Same thing for the character. Better lighting/material and don't use a black background. The bathroom scene is good, but I'd mention what you used to render it.

Other than that it just needs more work, so keep at it! :)
  • Humblebee08
    Offline / Send Message
    Humblebee08 polycounter lvl 5
    You mean dark background on the models or the website background?
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    The website background.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    The website itself looks good layout wise though I agree the background would look better dark. As for the content, none of this stuff is going to help you get a job. It all looks unfinished IMO. The bathroom scene looks nice but I don't see that landing you a gaming gig...looks like an ad you would see in your mail for bathroom remodelers. Has an architectural vibe more than a gaming vibe. All this being said, clearly you can model and do realistic renderings. If you want a gaming gig, you need to texture your assets. What you have now will prob not even get you an internship or jr artist level job. I think you are better at env than characters as well. Those characters prob aren't helping you at all. If you want to be a generalist, you've got to at least texture the first character and do another pass on the alien creature. I would definitely add another fully textured prop and maybe do a version of the bathroom that has been destroyed or is part of an abandoned house and texture the hell out of it. I know this sounds harsh but you should be able to look at some other top env artists sites and understand what you are missing. good luck!