Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Paris Taylor-Jones

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Paris Taylor-Jones polycounter lvl 3
Most Recent:

Hello I'm Paris! I'm a 21 year old recent graduate having studied Computer Animation Arts in the UK. I'm mostly a 2D artist and a wannabe concept artist but I'm trying to improve and get better at 3D stuff too - specifically texturing and matte painting.

aaw0rNw.png

Original Post:

Hello I'm Paris! I'm a 19 year old student currently studying Computer Animation Arts in the UK.
I'm mostly a 2D artist and digital painter but I'm trying to improve and get better at 3D stuff too.

ZBrush sculpt that I'm going to take further eventually - mainly with feathers! My friends have given me a few ideas about how to tackle them.

AnzuwylileiUNFEATHERED.png

Almost complete low-poly bust of Sam from Moonrise Kingdom. Just need to do the stripes on the hat and then I'm done I think! I've started modelling a Susy to go with him too.

samlowpolyhead.png

Replies

• Paris Taylor-Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished Sam - the stripes proved to be awfully difficult to get looking nice but to my own embarrassment, UV unwrapping finally 'clicked' for me!
    SamFIN.png

I also did a sort of blockout for a larger piece...
    moonriseblockout.png

Felt like trying out a Disney screen-shot paintover today - it was a really worthwhile exercise! I could see how doing quite of a few of these could really help your understanding of light and colour - forces you to focus on only those things as the form is more or less there.
    PocohontasFIN.png
    original.png

And I finished this today - felt like drawing some cats and making 'characters' of them and pushing them a bit.
    CATS.png

I really should get on with assignments now!
  • Paris Taylor-Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on stuff for my assignment!

foxgif2.gif
    pretty.png
  • JunkieKong
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    I just want to let you know that your 2D stuff is damn good, and you have a great eye for colour, not to mention your use of distinct silhouettes creates some really strong designs. Are you going to take the moonrise kingdom piece any further, because the simple geometry and muted colours really work - reminds me of Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light.
    Anyway, keep it up because I'm keen to see more.
  • Paris Taylor-Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    @Junkiekong: Cheers man for the comments! Yeah I'd like to take the Moonrise Kingdom piece a lot further - do a simple sort of animated movie poster of sorts. I keep getting distracted with other projects - so much to work on!

I got to play around with a projector for a bit for a uni project but the 'tights' were the only decent-ish thing to come of it!

MintyDefinitiveDodobird.gif
    tightsgif.gif
    png.png
    That weird mask thing is based off Hikari Shimoda's work.
    It didn't come out that well projected but still looked kinda cool and scary...
    IMG_1230.jpg

A character I've been modelling in Maya for a bit - reworked her face a lot the other day. She still needs an awful lot of work!
    orthosformodelling.png
    lucille.png

Another Disney paintover - not finished yet but I'm getting frustrated with it so I might move on to other things.
    meh.png

Another a quick experiment into mixing 3D models with a little bit of Photoshop paintover. It's your house from Pokemon Black/White.
    pokemonhouse.png
  • Paris Taylor-Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished my second year of uni and all my exams! Been jobhunting for the summer and I've got a small job making a short animation for a toilet-seat company. I have been working into my Moonrise Kingdom piece and my girl character but only small changes - will update in a few days.

tumblr_n6ntv7UNWL1qfcrbfo2_500.png
    tumblr_n6ntv7UNWL1qfcrbfo1_500.png

tumblr_n801rucB9Q1qfcrbfo1_500.gif
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    You've got some really nice stuff in here! Loving it. Those cats are awesome! And that fox and skull in post 3 are really great. Keep that awesome stuff coming! Subscribed.
  • Paris Taylor-Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fenyce: Thank you! Much appreciated! :)

Modelled this as I found a sketch on my computer - ended up coincidentally looking a lot like one of the dogs from UP though. 570 tris.

tumblr_n8rwpsVvCl1qfcrbfo1_1280.png
    tumblr_n8rwpsVvCl1qfcrbfo2_r1_500.gif

Started work on another paint-over - this time from Paprika.

workingon.png

Finished texture for Sam! From the side/back it's relatively crude but seeing as for the final illustration you'll only see him from pretty front on that's ok. I can always revise the texture later for a 360 if I figure out a nicer way to tackle the details on the back. I started and finished rigging him, ready for posing and turns out I don't have nearly enough topology...or more accurately I've placed the elbow topology badly. The way I placed it (right by the cuffs) looks nice in the T-Pose but unfortunately doesn't bend very well to mimic the pose in the Moonrise Kingdom movie poster - so I'll fix that.

sam.png

And some more work on my character Lucille. I've remodelled the jumper, legs and hands from the previous post, minimised some polys in the hair and I'm gonna try and build a proper fringe with alpha cards. Not sure, it'll be my first time doing hair so I'll give it a go.

lucille-1.png
  • Vasburg
    Offline / Send Message
    Vasburg polycounter lvl 3
    Man, I really like the projection thingy with the feet and the burger. Keep making that cool stuff!
  • Paris Taylor-Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished my first semester of 3rd year at university! Did a composting and animation assignment this term though once I've done the breakdowns for the comp I'll upload them here! Here's some other stuff I've been working on around them though!

Finished the Paprika paintover!
    tumblr_n92ijoQq9x1qfcrbfo1_1280.png

Little bit of prop design with Cactus':
    tumblr_n9utfvDMHY1qfcrbfo1_1280.png

Started learning AfterEffects - been using it in assignments just to do simple editing things but found out it had a cool puppet tool!
    tumblr_na5q3ykroj1qfcrbfo1_500.gif

Doodle:
    tumblr_nf4363Mmqs1qfcrbfo1_500.png

WIP I've been working on for a few month around assignments:
    tumblr_ngolm1uRUP1r6u29no1_1280.png

Here's some stuff from a group project I'm working on with 3 other students at the moment. It's called 'Day to Day' currently, and is all about missed connections...like I'm sure there's people you walk past everyday at work or school or at the bus-stop who you just don't notice but are on the periphery of your life! So it's about finally noticing that person and involving them at the center of your life :) Something like that! It's a sweet short romance on a staircase effectively! I'm heading the art direction and producing concepts and stuff like that as well as working on storyboards and cinematography in tandem with the director. I'll also be modelling some assets and props as well as texturing the entire thing!! I can already sense my hand hurting! haha :
    tumblr_nf5xa3UweZ1u3ksk9o1_1280.png
    tumblr_nf5xa3UweZ1u3ksk9o2_1280.png
    tumblr_ngjay1jTps1u3ksk9o1_1280.png
    tumblr_ngoktwzrrf1u3ksk9o1_1280.png
  • Paris Taylor-Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much to post other than more work I've done for my uni project :)

Some brainstorming for the male character in our piece - not posting everything as trust me, there's too much!:

tumblr_ngukusHOwW1u3ksk9o1_1280.png
    tumblr_nh02cm3hns1u3ksk9o2_r1_1280.png
    tumblr_nh9n1t8Kr61u3ksk9o2_1280.png
    tumblr_nhm3irMgHe1u3ksk9o1_1280.png
    tumblr_nhmjswnfu91u3ksk9o1_r1_1280.png

There's a principal staircase so we decided it needs a fancy banister:

tumblr_nh3dbzxz6Y1u3ksk9o1_1280.png
    tumblr_nh3od6L05s1u3ksk9o1_1280.png
    And a quick environmental paint to work out what the inside of the apartment building looks like...
    tumblr_nhu0d2XY9r1u3ksk9o2_1280.png

Did some draws for Daily Spitpaint on Facebook - all of these half an hour for various topics:

tumblr_nhv69qpQYb1r6u29no2_r1_1280.png
    tumblr_nhv69qpQYb1r6u29no3_1280.png
    tumblr_nhv69qpQYb1r6u29no1_1280.png

I'll be moving onto some 3D stuff soon - yes!
  • Paris Taylor-Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure I can post this online but we had a selection of briefs set my industry professionals a month or two ago - every student had the opportunity to pick a brief they were most interested in and whilst working, receive feedback from said industry professional on their work. I'm doing the Dreamworks brief :) we were supplied with a vehicle, the motorbike you see below and were asked to design a character to ride it!

jz4H2UL.png
    cewjb3F.png
    XL2BayF.jpg
    TSd42SC.png

A component of the brief is also doing a bust of your design sooo I'm trying my hand at modelling! There's still a lot of work to do on this...

N4Y8FjN.png

Some butterfly iterations for the student film I'm working on:

vvQDa5W.png

And a caricature of one of my lecturers for a small contest at uni:

MD7UWXf.png

I've also started learning Arduino programming which I'm finding very interesting! I'm currently trying to get Maya to 'talk' to the Arduino - weirdly enough I've managed to do it the other way round first oops so now to swap that round haha
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Your 2d work is very nice. Your 3d isnt quite there yet, but I can tell its improving steadily Great stuff!
  • Paris Taylor-Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    @pmiller001: Thank you for your comment! I definitely agree with you - that my 2D is stronger than my 3D and I really need to shift my focus a little bit. Hopefully my graduation film is a great chance for me to pick up texturing and a bit of modelling - I've started some bits and pieces!

This ended up being what I handed in for my modelling assignment:
    oIoxN16.png

More graduation film work:
    G0L4koo.png
    Nr5Npl7.png
    WQFGh7E.png

Doodle:
    JL0j71L.png

This is the start of a design bible of sorts for a competition - I struggled getting into the mode (we're entering a pitch for a short film about a puppet with blood cancer?) so I started out with some puppet-fications of my team!:
    drnvv9W.png
    BZaMcN9.jpg
  • Paris Taylor-Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    My team and I managed to finish all our stuff up for our entry into this year's BFX competition! We are pitching an idea for an advert for charity Anthony Nolan involving puppets and vampires!

yBscFRD.jpg
    StLOaKx.jpg
    p2iUv4e.jpg
    7BI9WR6.jpg

Some miscellaneous stuff for another pitch where our idea fell through:

1KtCmQA.jpg
    L3nwIn0.jpg

A matte painting for my graduation film - mixture of photobash and hand-painting to create something that hopefully looks entirely hand painted haha:

FPC0eWQ.jpg

I started having a play with creating tiling sculpted textures for our graduation film. The environment is set in a brick building so for an initial test I sculpted some bricks, arranged them in Maya and banked the maps.

yrBzrSO.jpg5nBkBkl.jpg
    Our team felt the results worked well so I redid it with some more care:

c8TNMfd.jpg
    bhIYJ2V.jpg
    KPizvP6.png

Some handpainted wood:

ApmkrEk.jpg?1
    E6ZKjf6.jpg?1

Some butterflies for the graduation film - not too much detail as they're all pretty far away from the camera (the tiny butterflies) and I wanted them to be these really broad expanses of colour so they were as readable as possible.
    SSPZeRv.jpg
  • Paris Taylor-Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    Hiya Polycount!
    Brief hiatus over! I finally finished my graduate film with 3 very talented team-members - you can see the final thing here! This means I have now finished university which is exciting and scary as I'm doing the whole job hunting thing now!

Well not quite yet, my team and I got into a UK competition called BFX! It's the principal VFX competition in the UK for students, interns and young graduates and we're one of 8 teams that made it! We're approaching half-way in the competition so it's all systems a-go! I've been doing some modelling, texturing, shader development for VRay and will be doing a smidge of mattepainting, comp and 2D effects later phew!

Here's various concepts and bits and bobs I've made for the film so far:

zPePA0v.png

W1QLRzE.png

9pINmPu.png

Sqi4COS.png

iqFdNKG.png

vIqpZqs.png

gYs61KR.png

And I've started a small model which I wanna hand-paint (based on a concept by Cory Loftis):

edIny5l.png
  • Yedp
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    I love your 2D work and your 3D work isn't so far behind I think!
    A little suggestion would be to post more wireframe, there are some pretty amazing artist there that could give you tips on this too :)
    looking forward to see more!
  • Paris Taylor-Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    @Yedp: Thank you very much! Yeah I definitely need a figure out a way to present my 3D stuff better! I'm showing my textures on other people's models often so wireframes would be a faux pas here I'm guessing? (As that'd be what the modeller would want to show off?)

After a busy busy seven weeks I am proud to say I've finished another film with my friends :) It was part of the BFX competition in the UK and for the blood cancer charity - Anthony Nolan. There were a lot of stress, tears and 'why are you doing it this way?!' but it was also really really fun to make and I'm sad to see all my team-mates go.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZpQG-8E16E[/ame]

I storyboarded the piece as well as did some concept art which I've already posted here. I also textured nearly everything in the short, did a bit of shader development and the final credits. I hope you enjoy!

And two drawings :)
    aaw0rNw.png

MhulSx3.png?1
  • Paris Taylor-Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    Not too much done as working on some secret stuff again for a film! Started working on my market stall again as I wanna finish this off!

LMZxRNR.png?1
    And a photo study:
    w4wbgxd.png?1
  • Paris Taylor-Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    Hiya Polycount! Long time no see :) I've started a Masters degree in Computer Animation in order to continue my studies as I won a scholarship! :O I've also been busy with a few concept art/storyboarding jobs in London which has been exciting!  So here's work I can show that I've done in the interim: