Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge April 2014 (18)

Replies

• Daata
    At4cA6z.png

Never really done anything like the little statue guys, took me a while to come up with a base that I can turn into a sculpt. Quite happy with it thus far though, I have re-done it about 5 or 6 times, but I am getting there!
  • Marshkin
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Zocky, I'm really enjoying how you did the wear on the wood! How did you get the hanging banners to look so good?

Would any one be willing to share the shader they used for their windows? I spent all last night trying to get something that looked decent with no luck.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    tnx!

Eh it's really no biggy, it's simple plane, devided couple of times, uv mapepd it, texturized it (nothing special here either). Then used soft selection to move couple of vertices to make it looks like it's folded and stuff.

Both flags are still quite low poly, even if it has more divisions, so it's not much of a problem.

OH, should say that i use same plane, duplicated it, inverted normals, and moves vertices a but differently then on first flag, and then combined those two into one mesh (with opposite normals).

So, i have now two instances of same flag asset/prop, just that one is rotated for 180 degrees, so it's looks a bit different, but it's still same asset as the other flag.

Does that help?

For windows...i will admit they besides reflection, i have overlayed grayscaled and a little blured image of random landscape, besides actual reflection. Dunno if i will leave it there, but ido think it helps a bit, as long as it's subtle.

For wood, again, nothing fancy, just one regular clean wood over green colored wood, and then masked clean wood, and use some brush from feng zhu iirc (kinda makes things a bit more natural) to mask it where it should be "warn out"..

still fighting with UEG4 though, i'm having a little bit of aproblem understand it, especially lighting and reflections and whatnot...

--edited--

A tiny progress on it:
    1C6DeVn.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Zocky wrote: »
    tnx!

Eh it's really no biggy, it's simple plane, devided couple of times, uv mapepd it, texturized it (nothing special here either). Then used soft selection to move couple of vertices to make it looks like it's folded and stuff.

Both flags are still quite low poly, even if it has more divisions, so it's not much of a problem.

OH, should say that i use same plane, duplicated it, inverted normals, and moves vertices a but differently then on first flag, and then combined those two into one mesh (with opposite normals).

So, i have now two instances of same flag asset/prop, just that one is rotated for 180 degrees, so it's looks a bit different, but it's still same asset as the other flag.

Does that help?

For windows...i will admit they besides reflection, i have overlayed grayscaled and a little blured image of random landscape, besides actual reflection. Dunno if i will leave it there, but ido think it helps a bit, as long as it's subtle.

For wood, again, nothing fancy, just one regular clean wood over green colored wood, and then masked clean wood, and use some brush from feng zhu iirc (kinda makes things a bit more natural) to mask it where it should be "warn out"..

still fighting with UEG4 though, i'm having a little bit of aproblem understand it, especially lighting and reflections and whatnot...

--edited--

A tiny progress on it:
    1C6DeVn.jpg

Hey Zocky,

looking real nice so far; and I love the wood especially. I'm also liking how although you've kept to the concept's style your adding your own little hints here and there - like with the steps at the door.

I just wanted to ask what your door frame height is atm I'm about to start tiling textures and really worried that I'm a little off scale my doorframe height is 13ft... which obviously makes a standard 6ft person look insanely small... but then thats Chinese architecture too...

anyway yeah a little insight would help as you seem to be the furthest so far!

Cheers
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Ok so worked some more on my blockout, havent had time to really touch it since my previous post but I get my time off soon :D

Before starting on the roof, and then adding my own touches to various things i'd like to change I just wanted to clarify on scale and what others thought of it; do you think its in proportion? The door seems quite large even with the step further out... wondering why and what to do to fix is - if this really is an issue...

Comments appreciated even though its obviously a blockout :D will start on tilable textures shortly :D

XTs3IjP.jpg
  • Lowpology
    Offline / Send Message
    Lowpology polycounter lvl 11
    Been a few days but I have been busy with school work. Still just chugging away at this but as I said my intent isn't to be fast but to make this prop look really good.

Continuing to sculpt away at the bricks on the well. Went back and deleted most of it and just duplicated the group of bricks I had been working on. Now its just going back and adding in some more variation and such around it. Then I should just be able to move onto finishing the statue after that.

3azdr.jpg

@luge: The sculpt isn't terrible its just starting out is all! Just keep going in with the bricks and getting those nice flat planes and sharp creases to really give them a nice stylized look!
    @Zocky: The hand painted stuff is coming out really nice! I can't wait to see the final scene as a whole!
  • Zh4ngZ13
    Wow, everyone seems to have a very good start already!

Here's my thread.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2047680#post2047680
    Drop by if you like to keep up.
    I'll stop here as soon as possible! :)

Crits are welcome, and i will give you one too if you don't mind :)

Have a nice day!
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    @Dave Jr,
    Tnx!

Well, i did have a lot of problems with scale, only later on found out that scale changed in ueg4, so i basically made everything 2 times smaller....

As it is, this is the scale i use right now:
    Map_Scales1.jpg

Units are centimeters, so if i get this correctly, door frame is 320cm high, which i think is about 10.5 foot or so.

I did look into references, i wasn't really sure about door hight, since at some places, they seems to be very small, but on some other, quite high.

320cm seems to work so i chosen that one.

Hope that helps!

Your blockout looks nice. Seems right for the most part, maybe it only feels a tad too wider compared to height (talking about the entire front area, from entrance to the roof).
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Still have a lot of work to do including some of the detail work on the panels, changing up the details on the window panels, but I think it's coming along quite nicely.

gszzPDl.png
  • Marshkin
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Zochy, that was actually a pretty big help!

My own updated: It's slow going. I'm still figuring all of this out but I'm happy with the small strides I make here and there. Pardon the crosshair, I'll have to nix that next time.

tumblr_n45ns67eYY1sk42n3o1_1280.jpg
  • Marshkin
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack.M. I think i'ts coming along nicely indeed! I especially like the wood detailing on the pillars.
  • CJFerguson
    Offline / Send Message
    CJFerguson polycounter lvl 7
    Hey ya'll. My goal is to get a small portion of all of this done, mainly the middle area. I've finally got the tree in Unreal 4, and the bake is finally looking nice. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to do the diffuse/gloss/spec as I don't have a lot of experience with that. The colors probably won't end up working for the tree. Can't tell if the tree is dark wood, or if the lighting just makes it that way.

tumblr_n46owdWlGs1qbdjxvo1_1280.jpg
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Some progress:
    1yHasop.jpg
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Hey Zockey, what was your process for making the detail panel right above the middle windows. It looks really good and I'm having some difficulty doing that detail work in a time frame I consider acceptable.

As a crit I would say your wood textures are looking a little noisy at the moment. I think they'res just too much going on to read it well.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Tnx Jack!

Yeah you are right, wood is a little too noisy, especially the new areas. Already working on fixing it. I'll probably work on wood later on too, but for the moment, i gotta start working on other things if i am to finish it in time.

About panel...well, it really isn't anything special at all. I found some reference from old chinese temples, that has pattern SOMEWHAT similar, then used hard edge brush in PS, painted or rather, masked out where the lines are, and then when i hat the pattern, i just put some other wooden texture overlayed over that text, so that it has some pattern, put PS layer effect (bevel and emboss iirc), very subtly, and used normal map to farther add depth. Faking bevel probably wouldn't be such idea due to "fake" lighting, but still, i think it does it's job as long as it's subtle.

So as i said, it was mostly about finding some similar doorframe of ancient chinese temples just so that it doesn't look completly out of place, and try to replicate it.
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I see. Thanks for the quick and thorough response.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, that's just great. Computer crash while i was working in maya, and after restart, i found out that maya file was screwed up and there was nothing i can do about it...Sometimes i wish maya had physical form so that i could slap her couple of times....Lost almost entire day worth of work....argh...

Oh well, atleast it forced me to look up and see that maya actually has rather cool backup system, where you can set how many save slots if can use, like 20, and everytime you save, it creates a backup file. So, folks, if you don't use something like ... do it. :P

Anyhow, after restart, this is the work i did:
    5DVIT3C.jpg
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Zocky, that sucks man. Scene is looking pretty good so far. I like the tops of the columns. I'll be adding something like that when I go through on the detail pass.

Update for me. Trying to finish all the big stuff before moving on to the details. Pretty happy so far. I've made some test lightmaps and the results are pretty good, but I've thrown them out since I don't have the scene complete. its lit now with just ambient lighting.

13917459891_706b985af2_o.png
  • Lowpology
    Offline / Send Message
    Lowpology polycounter lvl 11
    Trying to wrap up on the high-res sculpt and getting about there I feel. After that will move onto the low-poly and textures.

Any critique would be nice on what I can push to make it look better!

r7Ft9Wx.jpg

@Zocky - Sorry to hear about the crash! Its never fun losing work and time put into it. However the scene is looking awesome! I love the texture work and can't wait to see the final scene put together
    @commander - The scene is coming together nicely! I think its a good way to go about it with hitting the big things first and then working toward the details. Keep at it!
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Just finished the little tower thing and added some detailing.

qPfUn7P.png
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    A little progress. Roof texture still needs a lot of work, and those black thingies on are suppose to be leaves, but backface renders black for some reason, will look into that a bit later:
    XolPqb2.jpg

Oh, and tnx commador , your scene is starting to look really nice too, especially those patterns at the middle on the wall.

Keep up a good work guys! (and gals, if any :P)
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    lowpology wrote:
    Trying to wrap up on the high-res sculpt and getting about there I feel. After that will move onto the low-poly and textures.

Any critique would be nice on what I can push to make it look better!

I think the sculpt is quite nice. You have good source material for texture bakes, and that's where I think you can make this look really good.

I think its getting pretty close. Pretty happy so far. :)
    13953111275_69520b6992_o.png
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Yes, verynice work so far, commador!
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, here's my final progress for today:
    BOEeqKL.jpg
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Looking good guys.

@Commador - I would say that the tags are looking a little too pink right now. They should be a little more of a maroon color. Other than that I think your scene is coming along nicely.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    What kinda theme you guys want next month?
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Final progress for today from me. Still got plenty to do, but i think i'm slowly getting there:
    B4VrLW8.jpg

Alex,
    well, i'll be skipping next month, i've got one other scene to work on (also japanese, already posted pics of it around here somewhere). Otherwise, hm dunno, i haven't done yet that much scifi....so maybe something on that theme...or somethng more hand painterish, dunno....
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    HALO THING THEN SINCE YOU WANT SCIFI.

Man I wish.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well as i said, i'll probably not be there for next month(but hopefully will be later on), so you may not want to take my suggestion. :P
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    How about an undersea environment?

Example 1
    Bioshock-rapture.jpg

Example 2
    BikiniBottomTNL.jpg
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    also, one of these days, it would be cool to try something anime-like in style...
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I'll probably be doing next months as well myself because I need the practice and I need to bring up the quality of my portfolio.

One thing I'd really like to see is something mixing sci fi and nature like you would see in Halo with the forerunner structures or concepts for the upcoming Destiny. Maybe in the same vein as this concept except smaller.

fy7C0gX.jpg

An underwater environment would be awesome as well.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Oh btw, was gonna ask, does anyone know if there is any symbolism regarding those purple papers on the tree? Do they mean something, or rather, what's the reason for them being over there?
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I could be wrong, but I think it's just to compliment the composition. I haven't seen any real world use of tags like that, nor can I really see the writing on the tags which points me in the direction of thinking it was added it for composition purposes.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Oh, well, just asking, cause i remember seeing in some anime some time ago (fantasy setting though), that in the courtyard, they had similar tree, and when a couple wanted to have a kid, they would put something similar on the tree. It was fantasy setting, but i wondered if it had any background in real life examples.....
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Hmmm, I must research this.
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    One of my friends who went to china has told me this is a Chinese wishing tree. People write down their wishes on a ribbon and hang them from trees. More info on the link.

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/see-do/culture-heritage/chinese-temples/lam-tsuen-wishing-tree.jsp
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Oh, really interesting stuff Jack, i though it could be something like that. PHa, and they say anime can't be educational. :P

Heh it's always cool to find some random information like this about some culture!

Tnx for the info!
  • lloydj14
    Offline / Send Message
    lloydj14 polycounter lvl 6
    @zocky Loving the textures looking good to me.

Hi, this is my first proper detailed prop and ive been learning CryEngine along the way. I've got some normals issues on the top of the brick which i have got to fix later. Any Crtis would be of great help and much appreciated :)

High Poly Sculpts
    NRBHeMj.jpg

Ingame
    BEufLOh.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    lloydj14 wrote: »
    @zocky Loving the textures looking good to me.

Hi, this is my first proper detailed prop and ive been learning CryEngine along the way. I've got some normals issues on the top of the brick which i have got to fix later. Any Crtis would be of great help and much appreciated :)

High Poly Sculpts
    NRBHeMj.jpg

Ingame
    BEufLOh.jpg

You should brighten it so we can see it:)
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    I wouldn't mind doing a serene scene.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    A little update:
    ixqOwaN.jpg
  • lloydj14
    Offline / Send Message
    A brighter/white lighting version

x0qSeD0.jpg
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Got quite a bit more progress. Closing in on the finish line. Looking good zockey.

J5o4mC9.png
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    lloydj14 wrote: »
    A brighter/white lighting version

x0qSeD0.jpg

Your textures are looking pretty muddy. Also, that "plate" or rock slate on top, is a bit too small. Should cover more surface area, right now, it would honestly fall into the water since you have a larger mass hanging over nothing, and the fulcrum (the well wall) would not support the whole thing. you could fix this just by pulling it back away from the center of the well more, so theres a bit hanging off the outer edge, that would give it balance.

Edit: rather, it would fall if anything was set on it. but would still have a chance to fall the way it is now.
  • lloydj14
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update: Fixed the normal issues on the bricks
    Put a quick base texture down (still needs a a lot of work as it is really noisy atm)

@luge ty for the comments and struggling to get the rock slab on top to look balanced, not out of place or dominate the top of the well. still playing with it to get it to look right :)

Also looking forward to seeing the rest of environments coming in, the ones up are looking good.

XZ1J3Xt.jpg
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    lloydj14,
    nice looking man!

Guys, i'm not too familiar with cascade in ueg4, so could anyone point me in the right direction on how to make rain in it? What i can't seems to figure out, is how to set up so that rain will emmit large plane, instead of single point as default. Any ideas?
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Cascade is very similar to UDK's cascade (at least right now). Here's a tutorial I made last year for making rain in UDK. I'm planning on making a new one soon, but for now this might do the trick for you. You can now achieve far more realistic water effects due to pbr in UE4 so I should probably remake the tutorial here pretty soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuJ97Dc5RWc&list=PLEA1XFp00_Ur3WoFJjtX3RuEqYLMtkO9S

Another option you have is you can download the effects cave from the marketplace and look at their waterfall example. You could then make adjustments to get the rain like effect you're looking for.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    tnx Jack!

So rain looks like this so far....
    nK71ebC.jpg

Also, any idea how to prevent particles from going through to roof? I did see there was collision option in cascade, where it should kill particle on collision, but seems like that didn't work for some reason...