Home Dota 2

Polycount Community Chest Event

Replies

• Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    That looks awesome! Although you need to make all the stuff less hitech, IMO. Remember that dota is still only in the clockwerk/steampunk era with their fantasy technology, so full mechanised metal stuff that looks as modern as that might be too much. You can basically make it more lowrez by making the rocket shell and the base of the truck-type thing out of barrel-wood, and simplifying the wheels.
    Also, remember you can also change the weapon (Squees rocket launcher)
    Really big fan of the bulky shapes for the cart! Especially the thingie behind the weel and the front bulky teeth thing! Awesome job man!
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i have to /sign what phil said. this feels a little too much warhammer 40k orc high tech like. maybe u can transfer it a littlebit more into dota universe - anyhow? :/

just some reference pictures from warhammer 40k,so u see what i mean:
    Looted-Baneblade.jpg
    kilkrusha2.jpg
    kilkrusha1.jpg
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    making the rocket shell and the base of the truck-type thing out of barrel-wood, and simplifying the wheels.
    Thanks! I'm planning on adding wood and making the whole thing look more handmade..
    Also, remember you can also change the weapon (Squees rocket launcher)
    I want to replace the rocket launcher by a minigun since just like the swine skin the tank cannon is close enough to shoot the main attack.. and miniguns are awesome :D
    Shock wrote: »
    i have to /sign what phil said. this feels a little too much warhammer 40k orc high tech like. maybe u can transfer it a littlebit more into dota universe - anyhow? :/
    Thanks! The size of the tank makes it quite hard to add chunky big lowtech parts, but I'll give my best.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooooh be careful with that, the shooting through the cannon thing is only for the arcana, it won't work on your own model, sadly
    Also minigun is sounding siiiiick! :D
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    Shooting through cannon isn't even working for the arcana.. the particle spawn position isn't exactly where the rocket launcher or the cannon are. In both cases the rocket get's spawned roughly in front of the techies ..

example:
    https://youtu.be/pVAT4n-vwBg?t=34s

So if it's OK for arcana, I guess it's OK for my regular set.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    cd9c6ar.png
    Rigged and Textured, now to test it ingame
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, yeah absolutely, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I just wanted you to be aware that it wouldn't have the same anims as the arcana :)
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Almost done, a few fine tunes here and there and a few accessories to do...

GE6rz8C.jpg
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, here is a first pass on our SS set loading screen, fantastic job by Noblebatterfly, any feedback welcome:

d27ca48df2.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    katze: Cool! I think you can get away with all that metal, I think just balancing it with wood will help :) And probably simplify the treads, those look the most high tech and complicated.
    Hawf: Nice progress! Is the jacket going to have some sort of emblem on the back? I'm afraid it might look to plain from the back.
    vertical: Cool Kunkka! And shots of the weapon?
    Mdk: Loving how its coming together! Put it up so I can vote already :P
    Finally got the bakes done after some serious soul crushing optimization. Moving onto textures!
    QHDqQ5p.png
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sukotto: Thanks! Nice bake! Why is the head so undetailed compared to the rest? All the other fur pieces have heavy sculpting..
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I don't think he's sculpted that yet
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    I think i can call the sculpt done for this Necro

0TvOkNS.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    @Sukotto: Thanks! Nice bake! Why is the head so undetailed compared to the rest? All the other fur pieces have heavy sculpting..

Thanks! The mask is going to have a pattern on it to make it interesting from the portrait and the back view is primarily the ponytail. I'm thinking of painting it with a little iridescence like mother of pearl.
  • Tyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    Maaaaan, people are really pushing it for this chest O_o Great stuff all round.

kite212: Those bracers came a long long way :)
    motenai: That sculpt is great, will all that detail read in game though? I need to figure out how you do your feathers!
    MdK: That is one striking loading screen!
    Shock: Still like 5 the best, I really dig 3 too.
    bounchfx: Thanks! That set came out so well. And it reads great from a distance!
    pior: Love the coloring on the back-piece, it really feels like an insect shell :) Is there anyway to add those kind gradients to the green parts of the armor?

Finished up my concept for Ursa. Going to start the blockout and sculpting tomorrow. Any crits before I set off?

Untitled-1_1.jpg
  • richithekiller
    Little bit of progress on my Juggernaut weapon. Must try to stop the blade looking like its made of wet plastic.

16733568118_1c62e542e2_o.jpg
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Thank Tyn - yeah, that's something I will be trying, but I can only do it to a small extent (like on the top of the shoulders for instance) because if done too much, it will clash with the existing green of the base model. It's been quite a juggling act !

Sukotto, Motenai, MdK : well done !
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @richithekiller,

I think you just need to avoid specular all together. Probably rim light too. Looks like molten metal so some illumination is probably required. The big cracks may be a bit extreme though. The handle is really great texture work.
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    The Royal Seal! (thanks for the help previewing this Bounch and Primrose)

hO5VCRf.gif
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Painted some more shadows and highlights, still have not found a pattern that I like, my 2d mmr is like 2k :poly136: I will probably add some dirt to spec mask on the metal of the neck also :poly122: Still working on the potm, I will post her later in the week once the sculpt is further along.

QHcyUvp.png

Some detail motion:
    7yIh5uQ.gif

The back was like 10MB so here is a link to it http://i.imgur.com/WcdRYgZ.gif
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    tidehunter_sculpt3.jpg

basic color layd down
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    I just realised that the deadline for the chests submissions is in 5 days....i doubt i'll ever make it... sad ;_;
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    motenai wrote: »
    I just realised that the deadline for the chests submissions is in 5 days....i doubt i'll ever make it... sad ;_;

About 20 days left by my count :poly136:
    Shock wrote: »
    hey everyone :)

Polycount Community Chest Event #1

event start 1.february

event deadline 15.april

edit: new deadline
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    POSKoK0.png
    got this stuff in game now
  • Godzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    Been away for the past couple of days but here's some update on clock:

2a9cb13522.jpg

Upper helmet part still needs some work (and ofc the missing face). The purple bits are placeholders.
  • Malloy
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    Yayer, loving that 'fantasy knight' feel to it! Great work!
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Almost finished set for AM what we're doing with Ike

003b6ac086.gif
  • Paproch
    I like this clean shapes without unnecessary details!
  • Reyne
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    I love the concept and it is all fantastic work, but I feel the head is letting it down a tiny bit. I feel it doesn't fit in.

And that clockwerk set is awesome! I want it already!
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    @godzy: Really like the direction :)
    @Nikey: Good metal!

Added some wood..
    wip02.jpg
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Godzy, nice ! Can't wait to see more.
    Nikey, that's some nice metal !
    Kat, great move on blocking it out straight over the base model and animations, that's definitely something I need to do more. Clever stuff ...
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    @Katze Yes! That made it look way more dota 2 like! Awesome man! :D
  • Mr.Khann_Ha_Ha
    How much new works here for these days! Well done!
    almost finished.
    Corrected texture.)
    CloudyWaryGoldenmantledgroundsquirrel.gif
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, my computer finally decided to give me the finger yesterday and wondered if someone is able to finish what I started with Ghost Detector.

GE6rz8C.jpg

Concepts by Ghost Detector: (The vision)

uFXshMH.jpg
    u5kzvz3.png

Please PM me on Polycount if you are interested, needless to say there will be a % cut for the person that continues the project. The person will be responsible for finishing the sculpts and modeling both LODs.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Kahnn : Loving that face and hair ! So cool ...
    Almost done with texturing on my end :

QOVkwHG.jpg
  • Godzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    @Nikey: Metalness looks great but aren't you gonna add some alphas to that cape?
    @katze: I love that bulky feel!
    @Mr Khann: the idea behind that rubick is really cool but isn't he a bit too green?
    @vertical: looking good but i would add some more silhouette on it (you could trade the current shoulders for some hard surface ones)
    @pior: the new hair is looking really nice!

Aaand here's the final high poly of the set (not much changed since the last time i guess):

vMD8exZ.png
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Kahnn : Loving that face and hair ! So cool ...
    Almost done with texturing on my end :

I think stronger bright yellow/ dark blue contrast would help :)

pior01.gif
  • richithekiller
    @Baddcog - thanks for the feedback!

Still messing around with this thing... trying out all the channels in the masks trying to get something nice :)

16317681044_a56af83fb6_o.jpg
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @pior

I'm absolutely loving that WR. I said before, but again, I was really skeptical of the set after seeing the first sketches, but you really managed to do something extremely high quality and unique for her, and that's incredible. The new hair does look much better and I'm liking the textures, but I think some of the tweaks katzeimsack suggested would be a really good addition.

@Mr.Khann_Ha_Ha

I'm also liking that Rubick a lot! The hair is absolutely my favorite slot, and the way it jiggles around when he moves is awesome. The critique from Godzy is pretty on point I have to say. It does look a bit too green. Perhaps you could add some gold on the sleeves, staff and maybe a gradient on the hair, or perhaps even some red? Still, the idea is great, and I'm looking forward to see it tweaked a bit more.

Super excited to see some of the recent stuff here! This things is really shaping up to be one of my favorite collections from Polycount so far, keep it up everyone!
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    How much new works here for these days! Well done!
    almost finished.
    Corrected texture.)
    CloudyWaryGoldenmantledgroundsquirrel.gif

that's some super cunning skinning on the snake. also like the little tassel thing on his waste. a big part of how rubick reads in game is his big overflowing jiggly cape but there aren't too many glowing green guys ingame so it should be alright

• Toasty
    Hi all. I've been a bit slow and distracted lately. I was hoping to be on to texturing by now, but sadly I'm still sculpting!

FJTMhf.jpg

Bit more work to go. Sculpt weapon details, clean up fur on wrists, straighten lines etc.

@richithekiller The sword is looking lovely. Would be great to see it in context with the rest of the set.
    @Pior Insect set is coming along very well. I tend to agree that little bit of extra punchy contrast will help.

I'm hoping for a much more productive work week next week. Keen to get texturing on this set!
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Thank you for taking the time to do that comparison gif Katzeimsack! I'll admit that this amount of contrast felt like something outside of my comfort zone at first (I tend to be careful with baked-in lighting) but I just tried it and it definitely worked very well :)

http://i.imgur.com/8B7cMUK.jpg

It was a very simple edit too - just a matter of overlaying the green channel from the Object Space normal map once more for a little bit of extra top-down information on the green parts. Thanks again ! Now I just have the quiver and arrows left to texture, but I also want to see if I can figure out how to create Flex blendshapes for the mandibles. And then on to promotional material and thumbnails.

Toasty, looking fierce ! But hurry up !!
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I forgot to post this here earlier. The CM is about done. Arty just needs to texture the staff and we need to do some value tweaks.

nordicmaiden_wip_10.jpg

@Pior, that definitely looks better. I'm still not a huge fan of the general direction of the set since it changes the hero so much but that's just personal opinion. The only thing that really sticks out to me other than that is the feet are really bulky now. That might just be a side effect of having to expand them so there's no clipping in the animations but I'd be careful about making them too big in game.

@Godzy, the sculpt came out really well. The design of the set is really unique compared to most of the other Clockwerk's I've seen.
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Thank you guys! Glad to hear you like am!
    @godzy, nice sculpt, can't wait to see textures :)
    @Mr.Khann_Ha_Ha, dat snake skinning, can watch it infinitely
    @pior, i love this set, her back slot came out great! Can you say where do you make textures?
    @godzy, not sure he needs alpha
    @zipf, her hair is great, can you show textures?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Nikey, Here's a couple of the textures painted by Arty.

nordicmaiden_wip_11.jpg
  • Mr.Khann_Ha_Ha
    Hi everyone!
    Thanks for feedback.
    About the color - there were other variations (I'm really tired of the color of)) was also a version with gold on his staff, but overall looked fragmented.
    So I stopped at this palette, but also slightly adjusted.
    Altogether in game looks not bad.

DifficultWaryHoneyeater.gif
  • BohSheh
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    Hi everyone!
    Thanks for feedback.
    About the color - there were other variations (I'm really tired of the color of)) was also a version with gold on his staff, but overall looked fragmented.
    So I stopped at this palette, but also slightly adjusted.
    Altogether in game looks not bad.

DifficultWaryHoneyeater.gif

OVER 9000!!!!
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mr.Khann: Really like the front! Back is a bit boring :(

edit:

Finished my fist diffuse only texture pass. I'll work on it more once i get the the material creation/tweaking.

wip03.jpg
  • Godzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    @katze can't wait to see that thing ingame

Clock cogs high poly:
    OxxZ93G.png
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    @Godzy, what matcap is this?