Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• BladeofEvilsBane
    Looks really good in game! I think the blades could be a tad thinner as mentioned above and I think little orange gradient from where the hair meets the scalp would do wonders in making it feel like a part of naga as opposed to on top of her.
  • Pipotchi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    Yea i like st vincent too but perhaps a strange choice of song for the video :d im liking the daenerys look tho :)
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boVrVxvaeiY[/ame]

A Bundle of Shibe:

Bahr-Bahr the shibe, and his wounded traveling partner - cubic cat, travel the lands delivering items to needy heroes on the battlefield. The cubic cats are a noble race ready to sacrifice themselves at a moment’s notice in aid of Bahr and the heroes, giving Bahr the ability to take to the skies for a speedier delivery service.

A Dota2 Courier bundle created by Chris Bennett (Modelling, Texturing, Rigging and Animation) and Carlyn Lim (Concept, Illustrations and HUD).

Contains:
    The brand new Bahr and Cubic cat courier.
    A finely illustrated loading screen.
    A perfectly crafted HUD (coming soon in the next few days)
  • cottonwings
    Our Shiva Lich set is officially completed for the Polycount Community Chest event, huge thanks to Prophet9 for being a marvelous partner. It was an enjoyable journey collaborating with him. Upvotes are appreciated, please do share around as well!
    tumblr_nmyswwcsRR1rsuvwxo2_540.png
    tumblr_nmyswwcsRR1rsuvwxo3_250.giftumblr_nmyswwcsRR1rsuvwxo5_250.giftumblr_nmyswwcsRR1rsuvwxo4_250.gif
    tumblr_nmyswwcsRR1rsuvwxo6_540.jpg
    tumblr_nmyswwcsRR1rsuvwxo7_540.jpg
    tumblr_nmyswwcsRR1rsuvwxo1_540.png
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Boonta wrote: »
    637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boVrVxvaeiY

A Bundle of Shibe:

Bahr-Bahr the shibe, and his wounded traveling partner - cubic cat, travel the lands delivering items to needy heroes on the battlefield. The cubic cats are a noble race ready to sacrifice themselves at a moment’s notice in aid of Bahr and the heroes, giving Bahr the ability to take to the skies for a speedier delivery service.

A Dota2 Courier bundle created by Chris Bennett (Modelling, Texturing, Rigging and Animation) and Carlyn Lim (Concept, Illustrations and HUD).

Contains:

Oh you bastard....that's adorable! Such an interesting idea too :) I was actually planning a Shiba courier soon, along with a few other things. I guess I need to jump on that soon :P
  • PoPcorn
    Rubus wrote: »
    I really dig it, nice choice of shapes, it stands out from the usual overdone stuff imo, though the swords are a bit too large.

Well executed too.

Only the set name and the music in the video sound a bit silly, but hey :P

I agree the name is awful. I'll probably rename it when I can think of something better. I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll take another look on monday.
  • PoPcorn
    637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

A Bundle of Shibe:

Contains:

I was waiting for the Shiba Inu to show up. I think you executed it really well. Looks great, I really like its flying form as well.
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @PoPCorn:

Maybe "Queen of the Depths" or "Guardian of the Deep Sea Dragon"?

@Boonta:

I'm impressed no one made doge jokes yet x]

Anyway, I'll also leave my compliments on this one, everything about it shouts quality.
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    Just an update: Finished retopologizing and finished the Uv Maps. This is juts a bake test on just the low-poly meshes to make sure the Uv's were working right

VgAWgON.png?1
    qgWDjRw.png?1
    RRrZuzH.png?1
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    637x358.resizedimage

637x358.resizedimage

A Bundle of Shibe:

Contains:

OMG this doge... I NEED THIS! Great job guys :D
  • zenarion
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Artorias of the Abyss from Dark Souls helmet for Dota 2.
    I've had it up to here with the rigging on this, gonna continue making the rest of the set: shield, sword, some sort of leg armor. Will have to fix the plume thing on his helmet as well - for now I've got no idea on how to make the jigglebone/cloth simulation, so it's just static for now.
  • stkopp
    Offline / Send Message
    stkopp polycounter lvl 4
    We are thinking about our slardar set remodel
    here is old one (already in workshop):
    CE63KQ9.png
    workshop link
    Here is remodel variant:
    NkBbHSl.jpg

We need your feedback :)
  • Jlem
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    stkopp wrote: »
    We are thinking about our slardar set remodel
    here is old one (already in workshop):
    CE63KQ9.png
    workshop link
    Here is remodel variant:
    NkBbHSl.jpg

We need your feedback :)

Well the only thing i don't like is his headpiece as it kinda reminds some douche-y hairstyle. Also either armlets should match the ring on the staff or the other way around, it would just look better imo. Otherwise it is a really epic slardar set, both Chinese and this versions.
  • bluegoon
    haha, sweet courrier!

Guys, how do you do feathers? Is there some kind of channel on a mask you edit using a single pane poly? How are they animated? Any ideas?
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    alpha on the color map is alpha

have to make planes for both sides

Animated is just rigged to cloth bones
  • bluegoon
    Baddcog wrote: »
    alpha on the color map is alpha

have to make planes for both sides

Animated is just rigged to cloth bones

Sweet, thank you.
  • _Dim_
    would appreciate some feedback on this concept
    f3753cd01c.png
  • Pipotchi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    Im trying to put together my portfolio and Im hoping to use a few things from my doto thread since I spend so much time just thinking of ideas. I was just wondering if anyone else has put their concept art in their portfolios and how they structured it? I mean this stuff is drawovers and Im wondering how well people react to drawover stuff in portfolios- as well as making it very clear what work is yours and what belongs to dota. it would suck if there was misunderstanding there.

Also I dont have any part in the modelling so Im thinking its perhaps best to not include the final results that people have made using my concepts since that somewhat overshadows the original concepts. But then again I want to somehow show the time i spent talking with the modeller and guiding the concept in the right direction in there somewhere (although perhaps there isnt space for that).

So yea, anyone got any examples of just concepts they made for dota 2 existing characters in their portfolios? I would really love to see them! Also just advice for concept work in portfolios of any kind, much appreciated :)
  • Ti-Rex
    Offline / Send Message
    Ti-Rex polycounter lvl 2
    Hello everyone.
    I'm looking for a good and experienced 3D artist for his set at Timbersaw. Looking for high poly model, retopology and skining.

Contact me at PM.

Concept
    cy9YqEr.png
  • zenarion
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Started sculpting the sword for the Sven/Artorias set. The details of the blade in Dark Souls are really small, and I gotta figure out a decent way to transfer them into Dota2 style.
    7JFoHbv.png
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    So, I finally got everything to bake. And here are the results!

KBrreRc.png?1

tXMQvVu.png?1

bFz643V.png?1
  • Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn polycounter lvl 2
    Hi guys :) i would like to ask for the workshop is there any special submittion category for TI5? u know something like Spring 2015?
  • AstraZeroZak
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    Wondering about some quick advice! I'm doing an item for a tournament and I'm curious if anyone can suggest what a usual good split is. I'll have an animator/rigger and some of the money will be going to the prize pool. There's lots to consider of course but I'm curious if anyone knows of a reasonable ballpark for splits that are reasonable.
  • jessman
    Offline / Send Message
    jessman polycounter lvl 4
    Hey all, I am an experienced animator with eight shipped titles, including Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, and Trigger Fist. I am looking for people to collaborate with. Below are links to my resume and demo reel.

My resume - http://www.jesseobrien.com/resume.pdf

[vv]57693799[/vv]

[vv]90963176[/vv]
  • putka
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    How do you guys decide on which hero you should make a set for?

For example in the community chest thread, Shock said it's best not to create for chen, slardar, void or kotl atm cause they might be getting overhauled.

Where does one find such information? :D

Do you guys also check how recently new sets were added for certain heroes and pick one that hasn't seen new sets in a while?

Or is all this of very little significance and you guys just go with whatever inspires you?

Appreciate any insight into this.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Usually, from my experience, people tend to just do a set for who they want to. Like, you get an idea for a cool set, and it just evolves from there.

Sometimes people get requested a set from different organizations/pro players etc.
  • putka
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks Insane :). Yeah I was wondering about those requested sets as well. Do they bypass the normal submission process? If you're a pro player, you can order a custom set and Valve will guaranteed let it through?
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Nope, I believe it still goes with the same process as everything else. Although I'm not the best to ask, since I've never worked on a pro set before
  • putka
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    Seems like a massive risk then, for both parties :)

Thanks!
  • vantruong2411
    we love Slardar so much, so we design this set for him.
    come and vote plz :D
    Hope u like item-hero lore.
    link:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431959557
    tongtheLSdb2a7.jpg
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7MPKBnPxaw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7MPKBnPxaw[/ame]
    GIF.gif
    portrait.gif
    2 styles Loadingscreen:
    loadingscreenJPEG.jpg
    loadingscreenebcc7.jpg
    Black King Bar style:
    GIFbkbnhe.gif
    Custom ability icons:4skilltheochieudoc.jpg
  • Reyne
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    I think using so much grey isn't very appealing. Dota is a very vibrant game and the flat grey makes it look like it is just an AO map.
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    (XPOSTING MY ISSUE)

Guys, i need some H3LP! 03f714e0ecf01877ea0c337dacaeb854.png
    I'm testing the rigging and stuff, while Mango finishes the textures and masks, and this clipping is happening when Sniper uses his blendshape's facial animations.
    I don't know what I can do to avoid his facial animation to clip the mustaches... Is there any way to export the fbx from Maya with blendshapes info? Or any other way to fix that?

Any help will be very appreciated :) Thanks in advance
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    vikk0 wrote: »
    (XPOSTING MY ISSUE)

Guys, i need some H3LP! 03f714e0ecf01877ea0c337dacaeb854.png
    I'm testing the rigging and stuff, while Mango finishes the textures and masks, and this clipping is happening when Sniper uses his blendshape's facial animations.
    I don't know what I can do to avoid his facial animation to clip the mustaches... Is there any way to export the fbx from Maya with blendshapes info? Or any other way to fix that?

Any help will be very appreciated :) Thanks in advance

to export with blendshapes I believe it need it to be an smd, I may be wrong, I did that some months ago.

Usually Valve is the one to do the blend shapes in the end, but if you want to make some promo video you need to do them by yourself and compile "manually"
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    to export with blendshapes I believe it need it to be an smd, I may be wrong, I did that some months ago.

Usually Valve is the one to do the blend shapes in the end, but if you want to make some promo video you need to do them by yourself and compile "manually"

Oh, I see! The clipping only happens when he sniffs..but its annoying..
    I'll try that out! If I dont make it until the Event deadline, I'll try to provide a update afterwards. Thanks :)
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Can you just beef up the moustache enough to cover up the issue? doesn't look like it would take much.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    vikk0 wrote: »
    Oh, I see! The clipping only happens when he sniffs..but its annoying..
    I'll try that out! If I dont make it until the Event deadline, I'll try to provide a update afterwards. Thanks :)

I forgot to mention, the blend shapes uses some expressions to work, I asked Valve but the workflow is inside their tools on maya so they cant share.

Even if you do a perfect work with the blend shapes, they will not work the same way, but it will probably fix the moustache issue

Here is an example (1:31)
    https://youtu.be/k1-e6N6UkcI?t=1m31s

It doesnt work perfectly because of the lack of expression but I think it is enought
  • JovaGrof
    Offline / Send Message
    JovaGrof polycounter lvl 4
    Ey guys,here is my last concept,looking for collab

image.jpg
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    JovaGrof wrote: »
    Ey guys,here is my last concept,looking for collab

image.jpg

sLv7qBO.jpg
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hello Jova - it's a great design, but you might want to have a closer look at the downloadable Sniper model and its budget restrictions in order to determine if your design is actually doable. To give you an idea, here is a recent Sniper model by Airborn studios and the budget breakdown they worked with :

dotaset_01.jpg

Now I am not saying that a full trench coat would be completely impossible to do (the bracers slot could be used for the sleeves, and the cape and shoulder slots could be combined somehow in order to build the coat), but it might be more frustrating that it seems. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.
  • JovaGrof
    Offline / Send Message
    JovaGrof polycounter lvl 4
    Thx Pior,I had conversation with few artists when I had very rough sketch on start and yea,all of them told me the same,it is quite challenge but not impossible..... here is what I have on mind about combined parts.....

image.jpg
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah ... from there my advice would be to test things out very early on with an untextured model. At the end of the day its not so much about polygon count (after all, anything can be baked to a very simple lowpoly model) and more about the tricky aspects of building deformable models sitting on top of an existing body. I've had something similar going on with my recent WR (gave her a chest piece covering most of the front of her torso) and while optimizing the model down to a low count was not really an issue, the deformation and rigging adjustments I had to make drove me insane and ended up costing me a lot of time :/

Again, it might not be impossible but it will be tricky and potentially frustrating. As long as you catch issues early it might be fine - just try to avoid having a modeler spend hours on a sculpt and a bake, only to realize that the rigging falls appart and everything has to be rebuilt and rebaked multiple times. However, you could ask the modeler to spend a day or two on a on-budget, untextured but rigged and exported lod0 model to see if it all works - and later on, go on with the sculpt and bakes.

You might face resistance about such a non-linear workflow (some artists only want to work in zbrush and dislike working in lowpoly) but I think it will be necessary in order to make it all work without too much messing around.
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i wonder how it would look like if someone would only wear ur arm slots and another shoulder slot :D
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Can you just beef up the moustache enough to cover up the issue? doesn't look like it would take much.
    Oh, yeah, Im gonna try that now, Thanks! :D
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    I forgot to mention, the blend shapes uses some expressions to work, I asked Valve but the workflow is inside their tools on maya so they cant share.

Even if you do a perfect work with the blend shapes, they will not work the same way, but it will probably fix the moustache issue

Here is an example (1:31)
    https://youtu.be/k1-e6N6UkcI?t=1m31s

It doesnt work perfectly because of the lack of expression but I think it is enought

Oh dang...hopefully that's not a big issue for our submissions then! But yeah, I'd think twice now about creating something that may be on a blend shape way :D
    Can't wait to see what's going to change of this technical modding aspects on Source 2.
    And yeah, that bear was DOPE! :)
    THanks!

And oh, JovaGrof, that sniper concept is really ace! However, Im pretty much sure you would like to consider what pior said about creating a low poly on the very early stage to test if it works. I am just finishing an Sniper Set right now, and god... it's a very low budget hero, with very low texture size. The main concern is really about creating mesh where the body deforms most. Those medals you painted, for instance, could deform as hell, even if you rig it to the closest joint. Anyway, please do no take this as a non encouragement, and be brave and do it :D
    Best of luck for ya! :)
  • Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys , does valve accept ability icons?
  • SeeingTriangles
    @Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn: yes Valve does. Also apparently abilities icons are quite popular with the workshop viewers.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Finished my lastest DOTA set with Bao:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=434820412

loadingscreen.jpg

tech_turn_pc.gif

Please vote if you like it!
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Shameless Xpost from our Chest event Entry.
    3D by me, and 2D by Mango :)

5DF50F53AC42074EE687D485B5F20504C825FF7A

9E9953D93BBC7ED5F1C249E9F69DA34F12368688
  • variant844
    Offline / Send Message
    variant844 polycounter lvl 2
    ^You have my vote :)
    Great sniper set)
    Love the hat :D
  • Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn
    Offline / Send Message