Dota 2 workshop unnoficial monthly competition - APRIL

Replies

• Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Uliss wrote: »
    Which one is better? How do you think?
    [IMG][/img]2013_04_15_00001.jpg хостинг фотографий

I would go for the left one as well, I think the pruple flows nice with the original colors and design. I feel the orange conflicts a bot with his basic colors

Well I finished my weapon, but wasn't happy with it at all so it's thrown in the trash can.. but I made a new design which should make the overall feel a bit more interesting and give it a more assasin feel. What do you guys think, don't look at the colors their just a quick overlay.

D1HZGL8.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Mantra wrote: »
    Quick update on my forest hermit ogre. Sculpting is not my strong suit, but I think I got enough detail now to make it work in-game. At some places like on the belt and back it might look funny, along the edges, Im planning to create a more ragged edge with the colormap alpha channel. Any suggestions are welcome. Meanwhile I'll start sculpting the hedgehog-club.

Sculpt_Body-full_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

loved the idea =]]
  • Uliss
    Quick update on my forest hermit ogre. Sculpting is not my strong suit, but I think I got enough detail now to make it work in-game. At some places like on the belt and back it might look funny, along the edges, Im planning to create a more ragged edge with the colormap alpha channel. Any suggestions are welcome. Meanwhile I'll start sculpting the hedgehog-club.

Sculpt_Body-full_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think to chose left one (puprle).

Good concept. Interesting to see with some color blocking. I think its gonna be a good set.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    @Uliss - i like the left as well - the subtle colors feel more like part of his physiology and less like warpaint.
  • Uliss
    reverendK wrote: »
    @Uliss - i like the left as well - the subtle colors feel more like part of his physiology and less like warpaint.

true!
  • tibbi
    @ Mantra, love the orge gear.

I was worried PA may miss her spiky look so I made some changes.

Image211.jpg
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Update. Made the fringe more focused on swaying to the left. Reworked texture/masks.
    mFeKPKp.jpg
    Cd5Bwz0.jpg
  • tibbi
    Texture is much better and I like the way the hair frames her face.

The tendrils of hair themselves are still pretty thick, giving the hair heavy feel.
  • Mantra
    And the gemstone of the forest ogre set, the hedgehog-club. Cant wait to start texturing this baby...

Sculpt_whacker_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    I wasn't happy with the runes and how they were reading as a Phantom Assassin weapon so I went back to the drawing board and knocked something new up. Pretty happy with how it looks now and I will send it on to the workshop once I fiddle with the shaders a bit.

71VQzGC.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    finished my dark seer set ;
    I got an idea for an ogre club , Ill post a concept soon ;

workshop link : http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198026621056/myworkshopfiles/

20D18DC882D14B6F5F3419C35E1BF0CA09647E17
    D51121E891ABC4424064C8B705C47A745060D31A
    C146306AE57F935267A3632C853F54F38A9FD512
    EC52EFB0F244718EBE357EDB95EE5AC361BF0529
  • Don Don
    After some very minor texture tweaks that I'm sure no one will ever notice, but Ogre Magi's Lucky Double Hoodie has been submitted!

B429F37768A0A8E7DD9A42438D324E7A57CC44DA

Click on the image for the Workshop link ^_^
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    Don Don: looks verry good , the only thing that I would change is maybe change the color of the stitchings to some yellow/blue

Mantra: I'd make the detailes on the wood / porcupine fewer and larger for a better "readability", and you could make it scared of the fire ( big eye/expresion and maybe some 3d spikes on its back .
  • PoPcorn
    Made this for Ogre Magi.

babb712b-e132-4768-b386-448e29037da9_zps2193d437.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    Made this for Ogre Magi.

babb712b-e132-4768-b386-448e29037da9_zps2193d437.jpg

Looks real nice, I think the shield is a great idea! although he's not really a warrior so I'm not as fond of the daggers but they look pretty good.
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    when in doubt use skulls :) ; andy comments?

[IMG][/img]10ro11v.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    when in doubt use skulls :) ; andy comments?

[IMG][/img]10ro11v.jpg

Haha I like it, looks like a monkey skull :) Maybe use a bronze color instead of the grey? And maybe beef up the skull and top from the stick a bit, so it's not so slim and more like a club.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood wrote: »
    I wasn't happy with the runes and how they were reading as a Phantom Assassin weapon so I went back to the drawing board and knocked something new up. Pretty happy with how it looks now and I will send it on to the workshop once I fiddle with the shaders a bit.

71VQzGC.jpg

ouch! looks amazing man =]
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I did some more work on my entry for this month. The textures are stil WIP and I need to add some masks, but the idea is clear I think. Lots of good PA weapons posted here though.

jIKEqHG.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Damm that looks nice! Probably my favorite PA weapon so far!
  • PoPcorn
    Really nice shapes.
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    I'll throw my voice in with the others, really nice shapes for those blades andy.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome weapon Andy. Ditto on the shapes.

Reworked my PA hair.

-Mirrored alot of the UVs to give better texture quality ingame. The original had individual uvs for both sides.
    -Redid the fringe and tried to reduce the amount of weird finger tendrils. Focused more on having the sculpt give the effect of clumps/strands rather than actual individual clump geometry.
    -Resized alot of the hair, tried to make it look less heavy.

Z5F812h.jpg

Still playing with the textures, but it's getting there I think.
  • Trow
    conceptou.jpg

Here's what I'm working on for the head and shoulders slots.
    I'd love to hear what you guys think.
  • Uliss
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Well I did some more work on my entry for this month. The textures are stil WIP and I need to add some masks, but the idea is clear I think. Lots of good PA weapons posted here though.

jIKEqHG.jpg

Nice blades, Andy.
    With metallness and spec this will look awesome.
  • Uliss
  • Trow
    Nicely done Uliss!
  • tibbi
    @ Uliss, the purple was a good choice for Seeker. He looks great.

My attempt at a Phantom weapon.

weopon.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for all the nice words guys! Glad so many ppl like it :)

Here's some progress on the blade, to save texture space I'm using a lot of mirrored UV's. the only problem it's giving me that it's hard to paint certain details without making it looks weird on the other side :s Wanted to darken the back where the dagger is but that's giving me the exact problem..

jGLNCiG.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great Andyk125 :)
  • Mantra
    The set still needs a lot of tweaking (it has only black shaders for now, no alpha transparency, and the weighting is quite screwed up), but I would like some opinions on the textures. Im not really sure about the belt color, and the straps on the belt, arms and weapon, and that tusk bracer definately needs a rework.

Import-1_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Im quite pleased with the weapon, the hedgehog reads better in-game as i expected.
  • Uliss
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Thx for all the nice words guys! Glad so many ppl like it :)

Here's some progress on the blade, to save texture space I'm using a lot of mirrored UV's. the only problem it's giving me that it's hard to paint certain details without making it looks weird on the other side :s Wanted to darken the back where the dagger is but that's giving me the exact problem..

jGLNCiG.jpg

This looks great with spec. It's a tricky thing to make a perfect texture when it has morrored UVs. U are on the right way.
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished my club , I tryed to go for a bronze collor but it would read so good so I went back to the blue/metallic color for the torch head

workshop link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=139764344

C9A4E1660E7CDEEDD9EE5188100308DC93B681E0
    6630F04BC2792017747C99F49CBE94314B330A56
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC wrote: »
    Awesome weapon Andy. Ditto on the shapes.

Reworked my PA hair.

-Mirrored alot of the UVs to give better texture quality ingame. The original had individual uvs for both sides.
    -Redid the fringe and tried to reduce the amount of weird finger tendrils. Focused more on having the sculpt give the effect of clumps/strands rather than actual individual clump geometry.
    -Resized alot of the hair, tried to make it look less heavy.

Z5F812h.jpg

Still playing with the textures, but it's getting there I think.

Hey Ross!

are you still up to some changes? can you post the new maps?
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Hey Ross!

are you still up to some changes? can you post the new maps?

I'll probably still work on it until the end of the month. I'm focusing more time on the texture, like Uliss said, mirroed UV's make texturing tricky. I'll post new maps and some additional tweaks to the model.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Here are the current maps: Diffuse, Spec, and Rim maps.
    gOXu342.jpg

I think I may be relying too heavily on the specular maps for the diffuse as it seems a little bit bland right now.
  • Zaphk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the suggestion, Rubus!
    Probably we'll only finish the cape this month and re-work on the set later.

Cape texture done!
    HMD8F0V.jpg?1
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    new concept for a second ogre club :)

[IMG][/img]jg1g8g.jpg
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    @Zaphk Awesome design on the cape. Love the hand paintedness of it.

@mihalceanu Good design. I'm curious on how it'll look modeled.

More work on my PA hair. Tested the new ingame preview workshop feature and wasn't liking how it appeared in game. New perspective on it I guess. So I went back with a base version of the texture and experimented with the main geometry of the mesh and came up with this:

w4c5rLT.jpg

I tilted the more hair downwards and extended the fringe to give it a more interesting silhouette in the portrait view.

Does it look better?

As for the texture I'm not sure if I should go back to the original brownish palette her pants share (seen above in the bigger portrait views), a blue shade closer to helmet (seen in the left smaller portrait view), or a blueish-green shade. I'll experiment more when I get there I guess.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll probably still work on it until the end of the month. I'm focusing more time on the texture, like Uliss said, mirroed UV's make texturing tricky. I'll post new maps and some additional tweaks to the model.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Here are the current maps: Diffuse, Spec, and Rim maps.
    gOXu342.jpg

I think I may be relying too heavily on the specular maps for the diffuse as it seems a little bit bland right now.

Hey Ross, do you have a normal map?

your uvs are a lot better no then the previous version, but im not a fan of those lines

if you want some suggestion, try to study the other models textures, like that PA hair, i think that one looks a lot like yours

and on the highpoly try to work more with he volumes, try to define them better
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Hey Ross, do you have a normal map?

your uvs are a lot better no then the previous version, but im not a fan of those lines

if you want some suggestion, try to study the other models textures, like that PA hair, i think that one looks a lot like yours

and on the highpoly try to work more with he volumes, try to define them better

Yeah sculpting is probably my weaker suite right now. Here's the normal map and a idea of what the sculpt looks like:

LG9VtbB.jpg
    6V20Aod.jpg

I'll probably read up more on defining volumes and tackle the high poly again. Thanks for the advice.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah sculpting is probably my weaker suite right now. Here's the normal map and a idea of what the sculpt looks like:

LG9VtbB.jpg
    6V20Aod.jpg

I'll probably read up more on defining volumes and tackle the high poly again. Thanks for the advice.

i think we found a place where you can improve

your volumes a too even, try to work on volumes and not make lines that goes though the entire hair

a good reference is the anuxis windrunner hair, you can check the work on her stream on twitch

about the texture i was talkin about, this is the PA hair texture

2CiIN

see how the lines are more contrasting and you can see the shadows of the volumes of the hair?

the lines are also just a few to mark some tip or a highlighted part

2CiMx

and on the normal you can see the main volumes, and some small lines just to add some detail
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    There is also problem with RossC normal map, that green channel should be flipped. Valve promotional textures has green oriented up, however normal texture for ingame should have green down oriented. Correct me if I am wrong.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    Finished my club , I tryed to go for a bronze collor but it would read so good so I went back to the blue/metallic color for the torch head

workshop link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=139764344

C9A4E1660E7CDEEDD9EE5188100308DC93B681E0
    6630F04BC2792017747C99F49CBE94314B330A56

Great work on the club, there's one thing that came to mind when I saw it, the red straps are a bit light, maybe darken them or use a dark/light brown like the leather of his standard items? Really like it!

Did some work on the artwork for my PA weapon, what do you guys think of the composition? Not sure about the blood though, wanted to make it black as well, but that the shim looks weird.. It's still WIP though, needs some lightning and contrast work.

2LR5DOX.jpg
  • Uliss
    The set still needs a lot of tweaking (it has only black shaders for now, no alpha transparency, and the weighting is quite screwed up), but I would like some opinions on the textures. Im not really sure about the belt color, and the straps on the belt, arms and weapon, and that tusk bracer definately needs a rework.

Import-1_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Im quite pleased with the weapon, the hedgehog reads better in-game as i expected.

While it is on twealing stage, I have some comments.
    The Eyes on the animal skin. They are usually removed from the skin, as far as I know. And they are very accented on the dark red skin. May be you can try to make a darker wholes in eyes positions. It must read from the top view, but not too much as now, imo.
  • Taumich
    Nice to see items getting done for these heroes :) I would love to have some for dark seer, if i had time, id make one myself :) Good job everyone!
  • Zaphk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks, RossC!

You're doing great! If you're still up for changes in the model, I can give a few suggestions too.
    If you're not sure how the hair works, take a look at references. For this hair style, the bangs needs to be separated from the middle hair part. In your model, looks like it's merged with the middle part.
    I'm bad at explaining, so I did this pics =p
    oYPnzlO.jpg?12kY53Dj.jpg?1
    When you're starting the hair, try to divide this way to make it looks more natural.
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    mihalceanu One of the best clubs/scepters so far! I think you should try to desaturate the straps and the wood a little, it's too colorful right now.
    Great work!

Her cape is almost finished! Man, I hate her color pallete so much!

2Cpwx.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    Tnx guys ; Indeed , the straps and the wood were too saturated , changed it

I think now it looks ok (updated the pics)
    D4287DE977C65079328CC9EE4ED0D2E834080FFC

OniLolz: great looking cape man.

Uliss : I think they put someting in place of the eyes , someting out of stone /plastinc(nowdays)
    weird-stuffed-animals04.jpg

Mantra: I like the pelt , but I think it needs some gradient lithing , some hilight on the top and the back .
    As for the belt , you could try to put some pelt/skin on it like a drum , and maibe some white/yello paint .
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Great club mihalceanu, looks really good with the changes to the straps and wood.

I finally got around to submitting this thing:

Winged_Terror_Previewer_01.jpg

Which can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=139895869
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate , tnx man ; nice PA weapon allso . It feels a little massive in the main menu ,but looks great ingame imo

I've finished my second club for ogre magi;
    CC60D452DD1EB5F07F885A0251A407A6358EF493
    FB3A5453301CDDAA04D8BE5209F02FCF2C1F1A3E
    E894BC2DAE3CF594B187E4CB760F7A3A30B985DA
    B564E118CB9142489A9715FC09DCDD1984CDCB8F