Home General Discussion

Freelance Studios working for Japanese Companies ?

TAN
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TAN polycounter lvl 12
So I was starting to look around for freelance work but then something popped up in my mind.

Do you mates know any freelance studios working for Japanese game/animation companies ?

Being the otaku I am, I noticed that I would really liked to work for such a place, and did google searches but couldn't come up with much.

So anyone ?

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Look at your favorite anime that feature CGI characters or whatever. In credits there are always names of companies that worked on it. Then just google that. For games I imagine that outsource studios should be credited too, you can easily find credit rolls on Youtube.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    CommentPhotos.com_1405447889.jpg

Thanks a ton. Really didn't thought about that :D
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    DWuTsgb.jpg

I love you. Just wanted to tell :D
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    hope you know some japanese, i can tell you from our experience with japanese clients that this would certainly remove a lot of misunderstandings and speed up communication.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I once worked for an outsourcing company(though they're not Japanese themselves but stationed at Japan) who worked for a Japanese client, does this count?

It would be very hard to get a job from actual Japanese led companies due to language constraints. Westerner led studios that operates at Japanese markets would be a better option, since what they do is to gather workforce from all over planet to serve in Japenese game market where they can really better off from doing that.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN wrote: »

I love you. Just wanted to tell :D

5(246).png
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Neox wrote: »
    hope you know some Japanese, i can tell you from our experience with Japanese clients that this would certainly remove a lot of misunderstandings and speed up communication.
    This is true, a lot of misunderstandings can happen. But if working for a studio that deals with Japanese clients, the OP might be removed from communication as they might have someone on staff to translate.

But if by chance you have to deal with someone who`s English capacity is limited, it is good to know how to communicate with people in English who can`t speak well.. and pick up some Japanese along the way.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Lamont wrote: »
    This is true, a lot of misunderstandings can happen. But if working for a studio that deals with Japanese clients, the OP might be removed from communication as they might have someone on staff to translate.

Yep. We have Japanese speakers here which translate incoming briefs, specs, docs, scripts, etc. to Chinese and English. Without these guys we'd be totally lost. We also have Japanese producers here on site in China.

Some western studios, e.g. in Germany, Sweden, etc. keep their own docs in English due to their international workforce, but from what I've seen that doesn't seem to be the case with Japanese studios.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Companies here in japan do a lot of outsourcing, but usually they are not willing to pay the prices that western people expect, at least not until they use some really bad and cheap outsourcing companies.

atleast that's how I have experienced it mostly, especially now when the yen is very cheap.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Companies here in japan do a lot of outsourcing, but usually they are not willing to pay the prices that western people expect.

China and Taiwain seem a logical choice for them. Lots of outsourcers there, fairly cheap, 1 hour time difference and between 2 to 4 hrs by plane. At least China is getting more expensive it seems. I was in Japan a week ago and I was surprised how affordable it was - I expected to see it rip a much bigger hole in my wallet.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah and that's usually what we use, always the cheapest alternative, Japan doesn't really care about skill that much, if you are paid to do a job, anyone should be able to do it 100% perfectly, and usually everyone seem so surprised when they see the contrast in quality they get back.

yeah the yen is really low now, always low when i get my wage in yen haha, biggest reason I haven't traveled outside of Japan for the past 2 years.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    yeah and that's usually what we use, always the cheapest alternative, Japan doesn't really care about skill that much, if you are paid to do a job, anyone should be able to do it 100% perfectly, and usually everyone seem so surprised when they see the contrast in quality they get back.

lol yeah. The Japanese idea of how to do a job and the Chinese one appear quite different. I noticed that when I was in Japan. It felt like many people take pride in their work and there's a certain sort of "ceremony" and ritual attached.
    Then again I doubt you'll find a guy who'll fix your broken A/C at 2am in the morning in Japan and just asks for $8 ? ;)
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Kwramm wrote: »
    lol yeah. The Japanese idea of how to do a job and the Chinese one appear quite different. I noticed that when I was in Japan. It felt like many people take pride in their work and there's a certain sort of "ceremony" and ritual attached.
    Then again I doubt you'll find a guy who'll fix your broken A/C at 2am in the morning in Japan and just asks for $8 ? ;)

I couldn't help but picture a japanese 3d artist standing up and doing a dance and balloons started flying from his desk , then the boss came out of his office gave the guy a cake and a banner was hung up saying " Congratulations!"
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well we do morning exercises while listening to a creepy tape everyday, so I guess that's kind of a ritual
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    well we do morning exercises while listening to a creepy tape everyday, so I guess that's kind of a ritual

here in Shanghai the grannies do this in the park every morning. They have the creepy tape in common.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Wow ! There are more people working at the place than I realised there were :D

Need to PM and bug' em all with questions :D
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    Sounds good, but sometimes it is not.

Also: Radio Taiso (I see construction workers doing this in the morning on the way to work...)

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4SH_lap4ag[/ame]
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont wrote: »
    Sounds good, but sometimes it is not.

Also: Radio Taiso (I see construction workers doing this in the morning on the way to work...)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4SH_lap4ag

You don't have to do that at Ubisoft? lucky you.

It's really not fun when you pack yourself inside a non imaginably packed, hot train,
    rush to get to the office on time, then when you get there all sweaty, the first thing you have to do is the radio taiso.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't have to do that at Ubisoft?
    Hell no.
    It's really not fun when you pack yourself inside a non imaginably packed, hot train,rush to get to the office on time, then when you get there all sweaty, the first thing you have to do is the radio taiso.
    Oh dude, you really have to do this?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at first yeah, now I have a habit of coming 20 minutes late to work everyday.

I usually stay an hour extra after work finish though