Home General Discussion

Brutal Legend

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
Ok so this games out now.

Who picked it up?

What are your thoughts?

I picked it up for my 360 and my god this games METAL!!! So fun. Little quirky here and there but it all makes up for it when you are slaying raptor elk or whatever they are called.

Just tons of fun and great music while driving around slaying animals.

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Gahhhh! I can't wait! My pre-order came late, and I had to have it delivered to my girlfriend's place.

She's bringing it over in an hour so we can have an epic night of metal gaming, can't wait!

I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced, so it's good to hear you like it! :D
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I pre-ordered to get the Tenacious D guitar, I'm a fan, can't help it. The cool thing was that a recording of Jack Black reminded me to pick it up yesterday, pretty cool.

So far, I love the game, but I'm probably biased since I love metal, Tenacious D and Double Fine and have been looking forward to this game more than I've looked forward to one in a long time.

Haven't gotten very far in, but so far the characters are enjoyable, the environments are fun and the story is cool. Great UC inspiration in there!
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    I might pick it up. I enjoyed the demo.
  • jouste
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    ...this game is amazing.

picked it up on the ps3.

all standard sandboxy weirdness aside, the amount of cool shit in this game is enough to fill godzilla's toilet.

only about 35% through it and it's already worth my monies. if you are a fan of psychonauts, jack black, or things that are as awesome as a jungle cat firing eye-lasers at you; you owe it both to yourself and the gods of metal to get this game.
  • Snipergen
    Ordered it, payed for it, waiting for it!
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    DECAPITATIO~O~O~ON!
  • Slainean
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't played it, but I thought it was interesting that Jack Black was promoting it on late night talk shows. Is this a first-time precedent?

I don't watch talk shows anymore, but when was the last time you heard of an actor or comedian promoting a video game instead of their movie/tv special/album?
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, but when was the last time you heard of a game THIS awesome?

Since the game is released a bit later here in europe I reinstalled psychonauts with the intention of finishing it this time and MY GOD, its so awesome,

if brutal legend is only half of psychonauts IT WILL STILL BE AWESOME, and they can fill the other half with METAL!
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i've got the demo sat on my ps3 ready to try when i get home ... it'll be more of a personal exercise really, to see how much i can bear of that complete dripping glans Jack Black and whether the game makes up for it
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Is there a Pc version planned? I dont wanna get a 360 or ps3
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Needles wrote: »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=brutal+legend+pc
  • bounchfx
    Played it for an hour or so the night it came out. SO fucking cool. Plan on playing the shit out of it tonight since I got uncharted out of the way.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I've been playing a bit of it. Picked it up on the 360 since I crashed the PS3 version at e3 pretty bad.

The lack of jump creates a lot of collision issues on the ground. Car driving 100 metals per hour at a tree and the car dead stops into the tree is bs to me. I want to smash the crap out of the tree when I drive through it.

I've had a few other issues with the camera (getting it blocked a ton, buddies walking in front of it and blocking it like David Pateson on SNL, camera going under the ground plane).

Those gripes aside the creatures, world, writing, voice acting, and animation is really really well done for the world they created. I'm a huge Scott Campbell fan and Double Fine in general. Definitely loving it. But it's not the second coming. It's a Double Fine RTS-lite (great ideas, but not tons of polish). Definitely worth picking up.
  • Sandbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    my god this games METAL!!!

This is the biggest reason I cant get behind this game (well, also not a big Jack Black fan...). It's like Metalocalypse all over again. Using "metal" as an adjective that is not describing a genre of music has got to be in my top ten list of annoyances, and this is one of those things that makes every kid and every dork from darkest reaches of the internets talk like they're describing a concert they have never been to at any chance they can get.

Judas Priest? Metal. Testament? Metal. Taking a huge shit, killing someone with an axe, holding your index and pinkie finger out while otherwise clenching a fist, these things do not make a person, place, or thing "metal."

Just because metal can be awesome does not make it a substitutable adjective for it and with the use of such a substitution one manages to loudly distance themselves from those they strive so hard to emulate by using it.
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Sandbag wrote: »
    This is the biggest reason I cant get behind this game (well, also not a big Jack Black fan...). It's like Metalocalypse all over again. Using "metal" as an adjective that is not describing a genre of music has got to be in my top ten list of annoyances, and this is one of those things that makes every kid and every dork from darkest reaches of the internets talk like they're describing a concert they have never been to at any chance they can get.

Judas Priest? Metal. Testament? Metal. Taking a huge shit, killing someone with an axe, holding your index and pinkie finger out while otherwise clenching a fist, these things do not make a person, place, or thing "metal."

Just because metal can be awesome does not make it a substitutable adjective for it and with the use of such a substitution one manages to loudly distance themselves from those they strive so hard to emulate by using it.

actually i've changed my mind. I'm not going to play the demo at all, ever. I'm gonna play the Wet demo instead, cos that sounds totally MINGE
  • Canadian Ink
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I love this game, its so much fun. As someone in there 30's I used to and still do listen to alot of this music and between the music and art style find the game to be a total nostalgia trip for me. Hopefully some of you younger metal fans get turned dig the music and end up checking out some bands that you wouldn't have listened to before.
  • MALicivs
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    My ps3 is 3000km away :'(
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    MALicivs wrote: »
    My ps3 is 3000km away :'(

That's not very 'Metal' Malicivs

Needles wrote: »

Not having either console is also not very 'metal' Needles. In fact, not having a console is not 'metal' at all.
  • Murdoc
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    People will disagree with this, but it's my personal opinion, so there's not much to argue. But totally this is my game of the year.

I bought a ps3 finally so I picked it up for that just cause and it's pretty great. Here's a brief list of things I liked.

Liked:

The World: Exploration is by far my most favorite part of this game, there is so many areas, awesome art, and just stuff to check out, it's pretty amazing. You find things to collect points to purchase upgrades, you find simple side missions, and find songs for your car to rock out to. I'm not a heavy metal fan, but I am familar with the people and some of the music, but the context of it works so well I enjoy just riding around blasting tunes.

Gameplay: Some of it isn't the most polished experiance, but its a really weird combination of a lot of different gametypes. The hack and slash stuff is fablesq and is a lot of fun, but, and I think this is the thing a lot of people don't realize, a bunch of the game is this weird Sacrifice-like RTS with a dash of Pikmin in it. Overall, it just gets more awesome, there is a ton of stuff to upgrade and collect with a GTA style exploration experiance.

Presentation Story slide show things, UI, menu, music; it's all slick as hell with a really strong visual, very well realized. the cuts into cinematics or loading are a bit jilted, but over all everything is awesome.

Dislikes I can't blame the game for anything, sure it could be a little more polished between the gameplay elements and such, but I would have liked to see more adventure elements talking with characters. It's a bit like Psychonaughts, but maybe less talky with the characters.

Love interests. Sick of these, this is probably personal, but they're going for this heavy metal / Conan vibe, it would have been cool if it was a little more Korgoth of Barbaria, and typical sappy "first girl I see is the one I'm falling in love with"

Either way, awesome, really enjoyable. * Oh and it's nice to have a heavy metal game with music that I, a non heavy metal fan, can really enjoy and fits the mood rather then being a steaming pile of crap it really sets the mood and I can distinguish a difference between the songs. That was one annoyance in Lost and the Damned was the heavy metal was complete crap and I swear it was one song over and over again, so it was hard to set the mood with your biker gang listening to pop.
  • cman2k
  • bearkub
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I don't remember the last time I enjoyed a game as thoroughly as I do this. I have my nit-picky problems with it, but they are completely washed out by the 100% awesome that this game provides. The soundtrack, the subtle references and jabs, the characters, the art...all of.

I won't give it a "Best Game EVAAAAR" just yet, but it is certainly in my top 5.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    bearkub wrote: »
    I don't remember the last time I enjoyed a game as thoroughly as I do this. I have my nit-picky problems with it, but they are completely washed out by the 100% awesome that this game provides. The soundtrack, the subtle references and jabs, the characters, the art...all of.

I won't give it a "Best Game EVAAAAR" just yet, but it is certainly in my top 5.

i agree man, i dont think i have ever been as satisfied with a game, or the experience of playing a game as i am playing Brutal Legend. It has its flaws, which i'll take, accept, and love it for its flaws instead of hate it for them ;)
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    This is the biggest reason I cant get behind this game....

Metal, like many other genres, is not just about music. There is a whole deep culture behind it. There's movies, games, books, documentaries, customs, fashions, art etc... all about metal. So it's not just music, it is a whole culture. If you don't believe me, you a should watch Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Global Metal. Both great documentaries about metal and metal culture, and will teach you a thing or two about what metal means.

Given that this game is based off of not just metal music, but metal culture I'd say the adjective fits. The world is based off of album covers, there's references to the culture and music everywhere, etc...

So fuck that, this game is METAL!!!!!

(!!!!!)
  • Sandbag
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen both of those movies (they're great) and have been a 'metalhead' since I was 15, I'm well aware that there is a culture associated with metal music. My point is saying something is "so metal" is lame as hell and the obvious call of a complete poser.

Have you ever heard someone say "that's so bluesy!" In reference to someone smoking and drinking a lot? No, it describes music. That music has a culture but you dont use the name of the music to define an action or lifestyle. It's stupid and it's insulting to the people that actually care about it.

Aside from that, "metal" describes anything from Annal Nathrak to HIM, and I dont think a HIM fan's "metal" is something most fans of the former would like to associate with...so it's farther murdered by its generic nature.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    So my main question is... is this game selling?

Tim Schafer needs the love!!!!!!
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    Metal, like many other genres, is not just about music. There is a whole deep culture behind it. There's movies, games, books, documentaries, customs, fashions, art etc... all about metal. So it's not just music, it is a whole culture. If you don't believe me, you a should watch Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Global Metal. Both great documentaries about metal and metal culture, and will teach you a thing or two about what metal means.

Given that this game is based off of not just metal music, but metal culture I'd say the adjective fits. The world is based off of album covers, there's references to the culture and music everywhere, etc...

So fuck that, this game is METAL!!!!!

(!!!!!)

FUCK YEA!
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I've seen both of those movies (they're great) and have been a 'metalhead' since I was 15, I'm well aware that there is a culture associated with metal music. My point is saying something is "so metal" is lame as hell and the obvious call of a complete poser.

Have you ever heard someone say "that's so bluesy!" In reference to someone smoking and drinking a lot? No, it describes music. That music has a culture but you dont use the name of the music to define an action or lifestyle. It's stupid and it's insulting to the people that actually care about it.

Aside from that, "metal" describes anything from Annal Nathrak to HIM, and I dont think a HIM fan's "metal" is something most fans of the former would like to associate with...so it's farther murdered by its generic nature.

Good for you dude. The rest of us are just gonna have fun with this game. Mkay?
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18

get over yourself already and enjoy the fucking game.
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Sandbag>>
    Saying something is "so metal" makes you a poser... yet you just described yourself as a "metalhead".

So metalhead, are you a poser? You realize the act of calling someone a poser is - in itself - posing, right?

Also, metal is a type of material, not the resonance of sound waves. You suck at being pedantic.

Maybe you'd suck less if you were more METAL.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Que indignant response of accusatory opinion bashing

Played the Demo...Going to pick it up soon. Is the Music all old school Metal..or do they have some newer Metal stuff as well?
  • Sandbag
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know why I even come here anymore. 'Metalhead' , you know, in semi-quotation...Meaning...nevermind, this is retarded. Your logic is incredible Acc...
  • bounchfx
    *Does high pitch powermetal scream*

METALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I played the demo and it seemed pretty badass. Not a first day purchase like Uncharted 2 or Bayonetta, but it will be bought.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
  • bounchfx
    finally got to the actual 'game'. the rts is very interesting, it's a neat new way to present a real time strategy game. it's KINDA a light mode but at the same time completely different. very cool.
  • jouste
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    low odor wrote: »
    Is the Music all old school Metal..or do they have some newer Metal stuff as well?

here's the tracklist. a lot of the classics and the odd new deal in there. man does that stuff ever amp you up when you're cruisin' in your car. a very sweet soundtrack that took years to make. so cool.
  • man_o_mule
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    i've been playing this game quite allot since I picked it up tuesday morning (i could have played it more but i had a deftones/slipknot concert to go to.)

It's the little things in this game that i love. The fact that all the amps look like marshals. i almost had to change my pants when i saw the "screaming wall". The fact that music only starts when you get into the car, and when you exit and run away from teh car the music gets quieter. The art is effing fantastic. More than a few times i've been running around the environment looking at stuff and both me and my roommate will be like "holy shit that's cool". like that the bushes have guitar cables sticking out of them. and there are porta potties in the main camp and you can hear whistling when you get close to them. great atmosphere.

and thankfully jack black doesn't go over the top like he tends to do allot. it's more of a tame jack black very well directed.
  • HellMark
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    There's a lot to love here like voice acting, art and animation but I'm not enjoying the RTS elements at all. I find I'm forcing myself to get through the game just cause I love the other stuff but the RTS play is becoming a deal breaker. I'd be interested in hearing opinions from those who are and aren't RTS fans. Perhaps not being an RTS guy is hurting my experience and this isn't the right game for me.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like Sandbag just doesn't get it...or hasn't seen the intro.

I'm loving this game. After playing the Demo, my gf surprised me with the full game last night saying "this was made for you".
    low odor wrote: »
    Is the Music all old school Metal..or do they have some newer Metal stuff as well?

When you play Multiplayer, the other factions' stage represents a different style of metal. I heard some Static-X and Deathstars from a team I was fighting.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jzk5T4RfBg[/ame]

I prefer Jack Black as an animated character.
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i gotta get that muscle suit!
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I am personally enjoying the rts elements. Took me a little bit to get used to the controls, but it's a nice setup that requires little resource management. Setting an attack point can be a bit of a pain at times I've found. I am not a fast player in the rts so it takes some time for me to get things setup how I want them. Not had too much trouble in any of the battles so far.

Right now i'm sorta going around and hunting for the bound dragons to release. That plus exploring the world and checking out all the awesome artwork.
  • bearkub
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    We gotta get an MP game going on Xbox Live soon, kids.

Not tonight though, I am going to see Johnny Socko. :D
  • bounchfx
    I should be able to finish it tonight, we should definitely do some multiplayer, add me on live, bitches: sc00t420
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    bearkub wrote: »
    We gotta get an MP game going on Xbox Live soon, kids.

Let's do it.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    JB can be funny without being a CG character too:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4an3rpucSos[/ame]
  • Eclipse
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    HellMark wrote: »
    There's a lot to love here like voice acting, art and animation but I'm not enjoying the RTS elements at all. I find I'm forcing myself to get through the game just cause I love the other stuff but the RTS play is becoming a deal breaker. I'd be interested in hearing opinions from those who are and aren't RTS fans. Perhaps not being an RTS guy is hurting my experience and this isn't the right game for me.

Maybe this will help?

http://kotaku.com/5382233/tim-schafer-explains-how-to-play-brutal-legend

You aren't really supposed to play it like an RTS, so maybe if you follow these guides, you will enjoy it more? I bought this one day after release, but haven't had the time to play it yet. But I will soon, just want to finish up a few other games first.
  • Celes
    i can't wait to play this game!!! in a month in a month i'll have some time...
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I played this last night for the first time and loved it. Definitely going to pick it up asap.:)

For anyone who's finished it, how long is the campaign?
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Lol@Fat headed "Metal" Proffesors

Yay@Brutal Legend

(i have to pick it up when I have money)