Home Technical Talk

xNormal - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    passerby wrote: »
    having problems using external cage files with XN lately.

xnError.JPG

EDIT: this seems to be a problem with the sbm format, if i export as OBJ or even FBX i don't have this issue.

The xN SBM exporter automatically triangulates the model using the Maya's API. Maybe, as triangulation might depend on the normals and edges, the resultant topology is different than the external cage. Try to triangulate the models manually ... and remember to Freeze Transformations before exporting.

Remember also that some old xN versions had a bug with the "use shortest diagonal" option. Try with the latest xN.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    when you say it triangulates wit the API, are you talking about just using the API to access the rendering triangles and export those, or is there some other form of triangulation in OpenMaya i dont know about?
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    How do I know which version of cuda, optix needs installed for the latest version of Xnormal, version 3.17.16?
  • Juwdah
    Offline / Send Message
    Juwdah polycounter lvl 4
    Hey, quick question

Im stuck figuring out how to bake an AO map from a low poly mesh only, so NO high poly, it keeps telling me to add high def mesh..

Anyone able to help ?
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Go to Tools: Simple ambient occlusion generator
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Hello lads,

this question is related more to a Max-xNormal workflow than xNormal itself, but maybe someone has a clue.

Basically I'm having problems exporting meshes with edited 'face-weighted' normals and simultaneously using a projection modifier (to export via SBM). It seems that the modifier itself chucks out my edits to normals - the only way I've managed to bake edited normals with a cage is via the longer route of exporting the mesh as FBX, and then manually exporting the cage via the projection modifier's menu.

Any ideas? Cheers in advance!
  • Elunil
    Hi guys !
    So i have quite the issue with xnormal since the past few days. I tried to solve it alone and with the help of internet but i didn't find anything helpfull...

Just to be clear I used Xnormal perfectly plenty of times. It's a essential element of my workflow and i know how to use it pretty well .

So my problem is that Xnormal is just giving me blank map for everything from normal map to polypaint.
    I checked in the viewer and both mesh are visible.
    I tried to change the scale of both mesh
    I tried with other meshes
    I tried reinstalling it

Nothing seems to work.
    I use 3ds 2013 and last version of Xnormal.

If you guys know something about how to fix it please share the tips ;)
    Thanks
  • EarthQuake
    Can someone tell if Xnormal is baking with Mikk Tspace by default? Trying to work on support for it but we're having issues, first off I need to be sure that Mikkspace is what Xnormal is using. Its in the Tspace plugin list but I don't see any option to enable/disable it.... So yeah, is it just on by default or what?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Can someone tell if Xnormal is baking with Mikk Tspace by default? Trying to work on support for it but we're having issues, first off I need to be sure that Mikkspace is what Xnormal is using. Its in the Tspace plugin list but I don't see any option to enable/disable it.... So yeah, is it just on by default or what?
    I believe it's the one by default, however Mikkspace compute the tangents/binormals of your mesh if your mesh file doesn't provide them.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    @EQ, Yes xNormal uses mikktspace by default.
    What sort of problems are you guys having? PM me with the info if you like and I can pass it over to Morten as he doesn't visit PC very often or I can get him to email you guys directly.
    I'm sure he will be willing to help you out with getting the implementation sorted.
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, modern xN versions use mkktspace. Older ones nope ( < 3.17.5 ).
    You can open the plug-in manager just pressing over the yellow plug-in icon on the bottom-left of the window.
    Anyways, if your LP mesh contains tangents, normals and biNormals then they will be used. Formats like SBM, FBX, dotXSI/Collada should be able to export them.
    So my problem is that Xnormal is just giving me blank map for everything from normal map to polypaint.
    I've received several emails about that. Apparently, it's a ZB4R4+ bug: if you try to export an OBJ while polypaint is assigned to a layer in ZB you'll have problems.
    Basically I'm having problems exporting meshes with edited 'face-weighted' normals and simultaneously using a projection modifier (to export via SBM).
    If you want to send me your .max meshes compressed I can take a look, pls.
    How do I know which version of cuda, optix needs installed for the latest version of Xnormal, version 3.17.16?
    None. The xN's installer deploys automatically the required Cuda and Optix DLLs locally into your install dir.
    Im stuck figuring out how to bake an AO map from a low poly mesh only, so NO high poly, it keeps telling me to add high def mesh..
    Depends on what you need.
    1. If you plan to compute AO via retopo and ray-tracing, you'll need a HP mesh and a LP mesh.

2. If you just want to compute fast and inacurate AO for a mesh then use the Simple AO Generator tool.
    Alternatively, you can just use the LP mesh as HP mesh too, but you'll need to remove T-junctions and to setup a cage/use MatchUVs.
  • EarthQuake
    Andy: Thanks, I'll get in touch if we continue to have problems. I mainly wanted to make sure that what I was baking as test content was actually in mikktspace so we're not going on a wild goose hunt debugging it.

Santiago: Thanks for confirming.
  • EarthQuake
    Alright, so more mikktspace stuff. Right now our main issue is just that using xnormal baked maps with mikktspace loaded as the tangent space produces noticeably worse quality than using Maya baked maps loaded with Maya's tangent space(which we've got matching Maya's viewport perfectly).

So I took a look at how Xnormal displays the same mesh when in the 3d viewport, and the results are even worse than what I'm seeing in our app(Sorry, can't show any of that yet).

This is the OBJ with xnormal baked map, presumably using mikktspace, viewed in xnormal's 3d viewer:
    xnormalwtf.jpg

Now, our result doesn't look nearly that bad, which makes me think that xn's 3d viewer isn't loading the right tangent space for this mesh or something. Really I just wanted a test case to view the best case that mikktspace is possible of doing, because what we have looks a lot better than this(just not as good as Maya).

So I figured maybe it was an issue loading OBJS. I set up a cage, then resaved as .SBM, and re-baked. Then I get this in xnormal's 3d viewer:
    xnormalwtf2.jpg

Which is way better, unfortunately, the baked content is totally different than the mikktspace content which mostly works for us, so it seems like when xnormal saves .SBM files its using a different tangent space yet again. When I try to load the baked content from this .SBM file, its much much worse in our app than the content baked from the simple OBJ file.

So, any ideas?

I'm really looking for a way to preview the most accurate implimentation of mikktspace to compare it to what we've got. If mikk isn't as accurate as Maya that's fine, I just want to make sure we're doing everything we can on our end.
  • Farfarer
    As far as I know, Blender's the only app I know of that uses MikkTSpace as default. Might be your best bet?

Source engine isn't a million miles off Mikk, either. Might be worth a punt?
  • EarthQuake
    Farf: Thanks, I will check out blender. Do you know if blender also bakes in mikktspace?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    So maybe I'm wrong, but you problem seems here :
    Froyok wrote: »
    I believe it's the one by default, however Mikkspace compute the tangents/binormals of your mesh if your mesh file doesn't provide them.

Since an obj file doesn't provide any tangent/binormals, it's normal you don't get the same result as a SBM which contain the tangent/binormals from maya, while with an OBJ it's mikktspace which create them. There is probably a difference between them.

Source : http://eat3d.com/forum/questions-and-feedback/custom-tangent-space-basis-ignores-binormal
  • EarthQuake
    Erg, so turns out I'm a moron and didn't have the normal map actually loaded in that "bad" shot, got it working here now with straight obj + xn bake.
  • Farfarer
    Farf: Thanks, I will check out blender. Do you know if blender also bakes in mikktspace?
    Yeah, I fairly sure it does.
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    There's currently a bug in xN, that's why that model is shown differently than Blender. It will be fixed for the next release.

Anyways, if you export the SBM from Maya, and you check in the "export tangent basis" option then it will export the Maya's tangent basis and not the mkktspace.
    If you need the SBM to use the mkktspace just don't export the tangent basis so xN will compute it on the fly when the model is loaded ( then, you can enter the 3D viewer and re-save the meshes ).

Btw, we wan't to add another LP + HP example to xN. Any volunteer interestered in donating a model, pls? Must contain the LP mesh and a 2M+ HP mesh ready to compute normal map + AO without MatchUV.

thx
  • demilich
    Offline / Send Message
    demilich polycounter lvl 8
    Does Xnormal support something similar to material ids like in 3ds max?
  • EarthQuake
    jogshy wrote: »
    There's currently a bug in xN, that's why that model is shown differently than Blender. It will be fixed for the next release.

Are you refering to this: http://eat3d.com/forum/questions-and-feedback/bug-xnormal-viewer-vs-blender-glsl ?

Because we get similar issues when displaying Mikktspace. So I'm really curious to know if you pinned down what was causing the difference in the Xnormal display vs Blender.
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you refering to this: http://eat3d.com/forum/questions-and-feedback/bug-xnormal-viewer-vs-blender-glsl ?

Because we get similar issues when displaying Mikktspace. So I'm really curious to know if you pinned down what was causing the difference in the Xnormal display vs Blender.
    Yep. It was a problem with my vertex hashing + a desync with mkktspace. It's fixed internally now and patch will be available soon.
    Does Xnormal support something similar to material ids like in 3ds max?
    No, we don't support MultiSubObj mats.
    1 mesh = 1 material.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    It'd be cool though - could "layer" the baking process to avoid errors like some people have been doing in Max.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    uge_sl wrote: »
    Hey guys,

This might have been asked in past and probably was so i apologize in advance. I am trying to bake a normal map for a very large prop the poly count of the high res obj that i am trying to bake is 14 million. When i try to run the bake i get an error in xnormal saying that the obj is void or doesn't exist. I am able to open the file with Maya so it does exist and it doesn't seem to have any issues. Any ideas how to avoid this issue? Am I trying to bake something past the allowed poly count size? Is there a fix or a work around for this case?

thanks!

-Eugene
    I'm having the same problem.

Some help please? :)
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I'm having a big problem baking vertex colour from a lage .ply file.

I've unchecked "Ignore per-vertex-color" on the high poly mesh and I'm baking using 'Bake highpoly's vertex colors. When I load the meshes in th 3d viewer I can see the vertex colour on the high poly mesh, but I can't get anything to bake. No vertex colour, normal, AO or anything. Where should I be looking to troubleshoot this?

The only other information I can offer, is that when the low poly mesh is a .ply file, I get an error that it doesn't have uv coordinates atached (It does).

edit: okay baking ray fails = all red. So that's a pretty big problem I can work from.
    edit2: Okay, the program generating the UV's is also scaling the mesh by 1000x for no goddamn reason...
    edit3: Okay and the program I'm using to rescale th meshes breaks uvs. Don't ask. I should mention at this point that I do not have access to... "traditional" 3d packages.

edit4: Set hp mesh to 1.0 scale. Set lp mesh to 0.001 scale. It workes! I fucking love you Santi, any program that can work with the BS software I have to put up with is worth it's weight in gold!
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying to bake a normal map for a very large prop the poly count of the high res obj that i am trying to bake is 14 million. When i try to run the bake i get an error in xnormal saying that the obj is void or doesn't exist
    n-gons present ? Try to triangulate it before exporting and see what happens.

Is your HP mesh tagged as visible in xN? What version of xN are you using, pls?

Did you use an old version of Blender or 3dsmax to export the OBJ?
  • Erasius
    Offline / Send Message
    Erasius polycounter lvl 10
    Hello, I just started using Zbrush and Xnormal today , so far everything went ok when I made a normal map for a previous texture. But for some reason I'm having difficulties getting good normal/AO/cavity/height maps with my current model. Obviously I did something wrong, my question is: What is it ? :P

I've tried changing a few export settings in zbrush, and tried changing the UV's of my low poly, but that didn't helpt. hopefully you guys can help me.

NVM I've fixed it ;) , my normals were locked. such a small mistake actually cost me more time then sculpting the damn thing..

25jyttz.jpg
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hi I was wondering is there an exploded normal map baking workflow in xNormal? I would like to give it 3 low, 3 high, and 3 cages and then move a slider for each so they don't penetrate when they bake. The reason I want this is because it is a hassle to have to move the low models/cages in Maya and then also move the high models in Mudbox one at a time. In Zbrush I would image this is even more painful since it doesn't have a channel box style transform tool.
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw, if you're at GDC, Imagination Technologies has a demo of xN running with those amazing R2500/2100 cards at booth #512.
  • Bnopnia
    Hello everybody, i have a problem, i am trying to bake mormals, but whetever I do, i have some strange noise when I apply normal map to low-poly
    2wpo4ck.jpg
  • imperator_dk
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    I've increased the contrast of the below image to visualize the difference in quality of the final map normal when saving to a 8 bit format from xnormal vs. converting from a 16 bit format to 8 bit in photoshop. It would be nice if xnormal had a better internal conversion to 8 bit than it does at the moment, as baking to an 8 bit format in xnormal will yield a significantly reduced quality normal map in regards to shading of smooth surfaces.

normalmapcontrast.jpg

For now I'm definately sticking to 16 bit outputs from xnormal :)
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Sure that's not PNG compression? Try saving to 8bit tga from xnormal. Although if you're going to be editing the nm in photoshop anyway you'd want 16bit I believe.
  • imperator_dk
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Bek wrote: »
    Sure that's not PNG compression? Try saving to 8bit tga from xnormal. Although if you're going to be editing the nm in photoshop anyway you'd want 16bit I believe.

Png is lossless, and it's irrelevant whether i want to edit it in the photoshop or not. I'm merely seeing that photoshop seems better at downsampling color depth than xnormal is internally.
  • Bnopnia
    Thank you very much, it worked =)
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    Is something wrong with the last two versions of sbm exporters for 3d studio max 13 (versions 3.18 and 3.18.1)?

This is what my bake of a mesh exported via sbm looks like, note the weird colors. In the 3D viewer, most of the mirrored parts of the mesh look inverted and there's some really weird artifacts in some areas.

I export with an Edit Mesh and a Projection modifier stacked, using the "low poly" options in the sbm exporter.

nHsPo34.jpg

Baking with FBX and a Push'd version as a cage gives me this result, more like what I'd expect. So what's up?

co3qyr6.jpg

EDIT: Okay, I might now be missing a couple of bugfixes and whatnot, but moving back to version 3.17.16 fixed everything. I'm using Max '13 64bit, by the way.
  • CompanionCube
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    is there a way to use xNormal the same way as 'Render Surface Map' in 3Ds Max. i want to bake maps just for High poly models. i've tried using the same model in both the high & low definition slots but the maps just render blank.

thanks
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    What maps are you trying to bake ?
    For AO I don't know, but for Displacement/Normal map the result is blank because there is no difference between your High-Poly mesh and your Low-poly mesh since there are exactly the same. The baking process is to output in a texture the difference between two meshes.
  • CompanionCube
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    i just wanted AO, cavity, convex and curvature
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Im getting the same problem as cptSwing; ever since installing the new 3.18 official release, the Max sbm exporter has been causing major issues with bakes.
    Reverting only the Max exporter to the older 3.17 version temporarily fixed the problem (as well as just baking with obj low poly), however I get errors everytime max201364bit starts, related to the exporter and importer not being loaded properly.
  • Farfarer
    Png is lossless, and it's irrelevant whether i want to edit it in the photoshop or not. I'm merely seeing that photoshop seems better at downsampling color depth than xnormal is internally.
    PNG is lossless, but 8bit generally isn't enough precision to accurately capture a normal bake.

Mostly it doesn't matter as the normal maps get compressed in the game anyway, but if you're doing object > tangent space conversions, you'll want to store (at least) the object space map in PNG 16bit (or another 16bit format).

Makes sense to store the tangent space bakes as 16bit until the last minute, too.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    - Optimized the OpenRL AO generation and improved compatibility with the Caustic R2100 / 2500 ray tracing cards.

is the acceleration only limited to AO baking or other maps like curvature, cavity etc. supported ?
  • Samuel
    I hope this is the right place to ask.

I'm having trouble with normals generated on the beveled edge of my sword:

test_normals_1.jpg

They have this "stepped" effect rather than being smooth. This shows on the model too:

WitchHunterUpdate2.jpg
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    Trying to convert my tangent space normal map into an object space normal map however xnormal crashes when it gets to the "Converting mesh default normal map" stage.

Any ideas?

obj and tga's used. 3.18.2 xnormal version. maya 2014
  • Farfarer
    Yeah, I haven't been able to do tangent>object in latest xNormal either.

Not with default or custom tangent calc.
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    i tried a few older versions still wasnt working. both x86 and x64. I remember this being real picky when i had to use it in the past.

any ideas on what could be causeing the crash? My mesh perhaps?
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    vzpn.jpg why is this happening?

Maya 2014 + xnormal (latest build)

I duplicate MY LP (push normals so it overlays my modell)
    I Export it (used OBJ, USED SBM)
    And i import HP and LW. Browse my cage, click to use cage.
    (freeze transformation, delete history and pivot point is centered on all modells).
    Same Amount Verts on both modells.
    Uv'ed the low poly. Nothing is overlaying.
    I've locked and unlocked Normals. What else can i do my fellow PC !! :D
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    This is a setting in xNormal. To reach the settings, click the plug icon that is located at the bottom left of the GUI.
    When processing the meshes before a bake, xNormal will automatically triangulate them if they contain quads and with the "Shortest diagonal first" option checked, it can sometimes triangulate the LP mesh and the cage differently, even though the topology is the same for both the cage and LP mesh.

fixed thanks to this! =)
  • StraightDraw84
    Offline / Send Message
    StraightDraw84 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys I just install the newest xnormal (3.18.3.42215)

Is there anyway to setup a batch render? I tried adding in all the meshes and even checked the batch protection boxes but no luck
  • jogshy
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    is the acceleration only limited to AO baking or other maps like curvature, cavity etc. supported ?
    Normal maps and AO maps only. Other kind of maps are not really possible because are so complex that will pass the GPU 32 registers/thread and the performance will suck.
    rying to convert my tangent space normal map into an object space normal map however xnormal crashes when it gets to the "Converting mesh default normal map" stage.
    Any ideas?
    N-gons = evil
    Is there anyway to setup a batch render?
    You must save your settings as XML file ( for instance, 1.xml, 2.xml, etc..).
    Then just pass the filenames through the command like:
    xNormal.exe 1.xml 2.xml
    wirrexx wrote: »
    vzpn.jpg why is this happening?
    Because you must erase all but the external cage mesh before exporting :poly136:
  • Polynaught
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaught polycounter lvl 11
    Trying to bake an ambient occlusion map with the Simple ambient occlusion generator results in a humanly unreadable error.

After the baking is done and the map has been saved to disk xNormal just throws an error box at me with the name of the file extension - .tga or .tif for example.

No further information are given - just that extension. What the heck? Is this some kind of quiz game?