Home Dota 2

Polycount Community Chest Event

Replies

• DNADota
    Offline / Send Message
    DNADota polycounter lvl 2
    Also, anyone know where can I find bounchfx? I sent him several messages, but no reply.
  • DotaFX
    I'm totally for this, i'll be collabing with Wei as always. Looking forward to everyone's WIP's, Cheers !
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    ABOUT THE LIMIT:

this is from my first post:
    one team must only focus on one project and try to make that as good as possible.
    another little limitation here is that u can max. take part in 2 projects

a project is for example one heroset or one ward or one courier.
    one team must only focus on 1 project means that no matter if u are a team with only urself or a real team with another guy - u can NOT do another project with the same team. u need to change at least one person.
    so as example: if DNAdota does one set with DotaFX, they can not do another set together.
    but each of them could do another project in a team with another guy.

the max limit of projects that anyone can do (in different teams) is 2.

the reason for this is basicly exactly what Sylei said.
    Remember, it's not about who is able to make the most stuff, but representing equally all the artists who choose to be a part of this community event.

with the addition of another possible second project that gives people the chance to help newcommers or friends - since this event is also about learning from each other.

ABOUT THE TEAMFINDING:

everyone can choose hisself if he wants to take part alone or if he wants to team up. also people can choose their teammates themselfs. in the next days i will create a sheet with everyones name and skills inside (that stuff from introduction) and will set it online displaying the link in the first post. so everyone can see who is up for this. maybe i can even color people who are already picked for a team. dno about that yet.

so u can contact everyone via steam or forum pm and simple ask for a collabo. also i advise concept artists to start working already now. post ur concept/idea inside that thread and ask for a modeler so everyone knows what u are going to do and what u are looking for.

i think this might be the most effective pipeline
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    This is my idea (WIP),
    Wlc2Nwg.jpg

Essentially Kunkka wearing Moorish clothing from 7th century to the 15th century. Shoes will be number 3 (leather shoes similar to moccasins) and belts might still go under revision.

Here's my steam if you want to contact me via steam, http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198026988013/
  • KungFuPanda
    This seems interesting, I will participate too, I do:
    Concept, textures, presentation with loading screen.
    Have knowledge about modeling too but only with high poly models, never used zbrush.

steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Luci_ued/myworkshopfiles/

pcount
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146709

Will try 2 sets.
  • SeeingTriangles
    I'll be doing one set solo (for WR) and another one with Keinhangia on his Storm Spirit set, I guess I can participate this event with those two sets right?:) but I've started my own WR set a while ago and so far I'm done with the high poly for her hair, blockout is done for most of the rest, is it ok to use that set to participate? I'll post WIPs as I work of course :)
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ha, I forgot to post my intro thing !

I am planning to participate on my own, as it's been a while since I last did a fully personal set. But still, I would be more than happy to post constructive feedback about all the cool things that are going to be made !

ScreenShot2015-01-31at52224PM_zps849de593.png~original

My thread here on PC :
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126980
    My workshop page :
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/pioroberson/myworkshopfiles/

I might get started around feb 15th. I too am thinking of working on a WR as I have been wanting to do so for a while, but hopefully that won't be an issue ?

The question of items started before this thread announcement is indeed an interesting one.

I am very happy about this event, as I feel like its very simple guidelines is what is going to make it great !
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    just created the team sheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11SCQ16Gkn3gnAiwlixbSpMeHh0D16xU_RrcpcPFQo6Q/pubhtml

will try to keep it updated and also added the link the first page
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Count me in, i'll probably participate on my own too.
    Still undecided between a Skywrath and a Necro set.
  • down_limit
  • Rocket_Science
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
    down_limit wrote: »

woah, thats hot. To bad I lack animtaion skills to collab with u on this madness :poly127:
  • DNADota
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »
    Count me in, i'll probably participate on my own too.
    Still undecided between a Skywrath and a Necro set.

Go Necro dude!
    O_0
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    I'm in, likely going to be working closely with hex and/or skella if he's not to busy.
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    I'll join too. I primarily do modelling & textures not sure on solo or team yet. But here's the threads.

Polycount;
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117944

Steam;
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/hopgood/myworkshopfiles/
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    are there any deadlines or something like that ?
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    I'd be up for doing concept art if somebody is interested in partnering up. Had an idea for a Nightstalker Ward that would have different animations during night or day time if someone is interested.

My thread of examples
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118174

Steam profile
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Terrormokes
  • DNADota
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to drop this here as an idea:

It would be really cool if we market this chest with a "Polycount" courier, HUD, ward.

It would REALLY make the whole package(chest) a lot more complete and those items will also provide more SENSE to the whole endeavour.

So whoever is master with these things, please, consider this as your entry(those items actually have a good chance of getting in as well.)

The task should be given to a professional who is willing to do it of course.
    Also, showing us WIPs of the courier/HUD/ward will allow us ALL to give ideas and help with the concept.

Concepting is really important here.
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    I would like to be part of the group that does the Ward.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Sunshield is definitely going to do something for this! So that would be Arty + me.
    Not sure if necessary, but here's our thread.

Can't wait to see some progress here!
  • No Pie For You!
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    here`s my Witch Dokta set i`ve been working on. I`m aiming for simple shapes with a percution instrument doctor feel. I`m readapting the old skeleton satchel with some african fruits that when dried cand make shakey noises. From my knoledge of african instruments, theee fruits can be filled with dusts and powders... so they can fit the doctor cask profile, and still make sounds. A new belt with pacay fruits attached, that also make shaky sounds when dryed and shaken. A didgeridoo as weapon, and as for hair slot... a modest Afro, with some fruits that can also make shaky sounds.....

bottom line. planning for high quality, wich will take me some time given my speed so i am oppened for collabs, also if anyone interested in making a custom particle cask.... i would be happy to accept. I`m also plaing on adding a slight Didgeridoo sound to the maledict... and maybe some more shakes on the death ward?
    gejQKg2.jpg

sorry for long post. cheers.
    also... that poly courier sounds awesome
  • Darren Pinard
    Offline / Send Message
    Darren Pinard polycounter lvl 3
    I'm going to try to enter if I get the chance. I have a stormspirit I roughly sketched a long time ago that I'd like to get into 3d.

Looking forward to following this thread.
  • SeeingTriangles
    @down_limit: nice idea for the courier :) I'm not a fan of humanoid courier, but this one looks nice. Will the concept for the flying version come soon? I can't wait to see it :) I see that he has a backpack, I think it would be cool to see some in-game items carried along with the backpack, like a bottle or TP scrolls :)

@No pie for you!: is the picture on the top right corner the texture for the head? Or is it the one on the bottom right corner? the details on both look a bit small and might turn into noise in-game.

Here's my progress so far. I'll be doing an additional hairstyle for her :) I'm kinda worried about the UV and poly limit for her hair already lol. I did the four small hair strands separate from the main hair tails just in case, if I don't have enough UV/poly for those, I'll just get rid of them.
    Will do the bow and quiver later once I'm done with everything else.
    Since I can't really draw stuff with a mouse, I can't post the concept for the WR set. This set will be flowers and leaves themed :)
    Oh, I forgot about the introduction, I can do 3D (high poly, low poly, rigging) and texture. My 2D skills suck so I might need to team up with someone else for the LoadingScreen of my WR set. I'm already teamed up with Keinhangia (who is capable of doing concepts, texture and promo) for his Storm Spirit set, so I can't really team up with him again for the LS of my WR set.
    lEZONH4.png
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Alright! So, BladesofEvilBane and I has dcided to team up and redesign a Doom set I have been working on! This means that the hipoly has already been made, but we'll basically need to re-skin the model and do completely new maps and bake new normals etc. and do a bunch of other sch-bang all over again.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    @down_limit: I love that idea of a courier. Your idea for the head animations could be so cool. I think you could work a little on the design of his clothes as it currently feels a little like just a pretty standard body with a cool greentooth head.

@SeeingTriangles: That is some awesome hair and I love the cape design. Can't really give any crits yet so will wiat until it's further along.

So here is the current progress on mine and NobleBatterfly's entry:

22gND10.jpg

Sl5sSWE.png
  • yakonusuke
    Offline / Send Message
    yakonusuke polycounter lvl 2
    Very cool project, I will try to contribute something too. Will work on my own again :)
    I'm gonna start concepting in 2 weeks, when I'm done with current commissions.

@down_limit: I like the facial expression idea. Very unique.
  • KungFuPanda
    Just seen the googledoc, I have 2 teams so the name should be red. Will do one with CTaKaH_MoJIoKa and one with RocketAlex.
  • SeeingTriangles
    @MdK: thanks a lot :) I like the storm concept with only one sleeve, it has a nice asymmetrical look. Are you gonna sculpt the ripped cloth or use alpha? If you sculpt the ripped cloth please teach me how to do it, I've been wondering how to sculpt those.

A little update before I go to sleep. I'm done with the cloak and the alternate hair style :) also added a small flower for extra prettiness. Will try to fit everything in the UV and poly limit.
    I think I will include the short cloth in the shoulder slot since there won't be enough poly if I include it in the cloak slot. Also this way that short cloth won't look weird with other shoulder items. It might look weird with other cloaks though.
    63ltckV.png
    C8IXZUG.png
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    Holy shit, that WR :O
  • Ewing
    I am super in!

I think I will work alone mostly because I haven't taken a dota 2 project all the way through the pipeline, so my skills are marginal at best compared to the ridiculous talent on this forum. Also I haven't done any animation or riggin before, and I would really like to get at least a basic understanding under my belt. Hopefully this project will give me the confidence and push my skills enough to be a valuable collaborator on the next event.

AAANYHOW, I want to make a courier, and I thought a raccoon would be cute. Started some sculpting. Lots to do, and more updates to come.

All feedback is most welcome!

courier_1_zps721600fc.png
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    SeeingTriangles: I will be modelling the ripped cloth but leaving the mesh inplace so it's easy to retopo. I'll see how it goes as it's my first time trying it.

Loving your second hairstyle, I think it's much better than the first, seems to fit her facial shape better. I just hope you are able to fit it into her budget, some trickery may be required.

Here is my WIP after the first day, I'm pretty pleased with how it's turning out:

f3lhhxe.png
  • KungFuPanda
    So we all post here in 1 thread? or do we make special threads? for each project?
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    I think it would be best to post the WIP on our on threads to reduce any spam, then we would post the finished product here. If we could sticky this and call this thread something similar to the monthly competition, we could work like that as well.
  • down_limit
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    @MDK why u dont make 1st head slot? imo - 1st hat looks more originally and intresting
  • CiDDi
    SfNS1IqF-Ok.jpg
    So here is my concept for our team with bounchfx
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on BladeofEvilsBane and I's rework.
    most of the forms and colors are in, but Blade still needs to render the parts of the sword etc.
    Before: MqHgkLk.jpg
    After: LAICKCU.jpg

Crits are welcome! :D
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I think it would be best to post the WIP on our on threads to reduce any spam, then we would post the finished product here. If we could sticky this and call this thread something similar to the monthly competition, we could work like that as well.

I disagree with this. In the past it has always been easier to get feedback on competition threads rather than our own. A lot of people don't have time to be browsing through lots of different threads and would prefer everything in one place. I don't think spam is really the correct word for WIPs in this thread either tbh.

Down_Limit: I'll be doing the other hat as a main and this one as an alt :)

Phil: How do those extra wing parts look in game? They look like they might be quite big. And considering dooms wings are rigid they may look a bit strange when rigged.
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    @phil one of my architecture university professors allways advised us to reduce the concept to what it is about, so the whole product gets more clear. i think in ur case it would make sense to just remove the inner wings and make the eyewingpart instead.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    I tested them in game and they actually look pretty good. His wing rig is sectioned into three parts, and he's moving them like normal wings would about 90 percent of the time, so it doesn't look odd with the animations. And as far as I can see they aren't bigger than the wings on that doom set that Sebastian (I believe?) did
  • KungFuPanda
    @insanephobia wait what ? feathers on a demon general? doesn't his lore say that his wings were burned?

"Six and sixty times his wings were branded, until only smoking stumps remained. Without wings, he slipped loose from the tethers that bound him within the light and he fell screaming to earth"

I don't understand how the wings fit doom.. or what is your core idea, if there is one.. and not just aesthetics..
  • Paproch
    Hi guys! Count me in. I'll be working alone, because I'm busy and I don't want to disappoint someone if I don't make it in time.
    Steam and thread. Silencer.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    @insanephobia wait what ? feathers on a demon general? doesn't his lore say that his wings were burned?

"Six and sixty times his wings were branded, until only smoking stumps remained. Without wings, he slipped loose from the tethers that bound him within the light and he fell screaming to earth"

I don't understand how the wings fit doom.. or what is your core idea, if there is one.. and not just aesthetics..

Yeah, I can see your confusion.

The idea for the set was that Doom was searching for the lost treasures of one of the demon Lords called Gialgas.

Each of his seven treasures represented one of the seven deadly sins.

So the wings was the demon Gialgas' wings, that was cut off.
  • KungFuPanda
    Oh, ok.. thanks for the clarification. Then maybe you should have that lore on the images shown.. so people can read..
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i have not yet a fix team but my head was kinda exloding with ideas so i needed to start working already.
    this is not yet finished but the rough concept, its a lion infected by the gift of a plaguedemon.
    what do u guys think? any feedback and crit is welcome

2zdFyh5.jpg
  • Pipotchi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    The claw mouth is by far the most interesting part but the rest i think can be taken a lot further (maybe made to fit more with this hand?). green is not rly a color that seems to look nice on lion but there are lots of purple/reds that you can get with diseases that you can try. also it would be cool to see more asymmetry with the horns if its supposed to be deformed :) (the other asymmetry is working)
  • r13
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    I'd love to help with this. In fact, I'd like to make it an official effort. I wouldn't change anything, I'd merely take the rules and suggestions as you've already written them and post them up on an official Polycount page and help get some more attention directed at this project.
  • KungFuPanda
    @Shock, aren't Lion's colors dark purple, red and orange? green is like.. lone druid, natures prophet, enchantress, etc.. like pipotchi said, mouth is interesting, but maybe not green? the rest is not so interesting.. try having a main story for it.. that fits his lore.. and makes your design one.
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    I have to agree on the colours. While you can put in some accents that break the colour scheme sometimes, that green is too overpowering.
  • LouKs
    I'm in too! First time participating on a challenge... should be interesting!
    I'll be working alone for now, expect at least a concept from me this week!
    GL everyone!
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    ok people :) i just had the meeting with r13 about how we are going on with this now.
    it was a long a good talk. basicly we will try to make this event official there is also a possible option to talk with with valve about it (or at least showing them the stuff). r13 will make an official post about all the detailed information in some time as well as create a sticky thread for us. we can for now just keep using this thread and then port over the stuff. we did also talk about the polycount courier, hud and loadingscreen idea. doing such thing is basicly possible, but it need to be done in collaboration with polycount official - and cant be done on its own. i think r13 will also post detailed information about that.

that was the official part so far - about the lion :) thanks for the feedback. and yeah i feel i have to tweak the colorwheel a bit more as well as going to work more on the head and shoulder slots. thanks again :)
  • SeeingTriangles
    @Shock: it's an interesting concept for Lion, but I agree with everyone else about the color. I think purple will fit Lion better. I think his weapon looks kinda uninteresting compares to the rest of the set. Also what about the cloak?

A little update: I'm done with the quiver and the bow, also sculpted some details on the shoulder pad. I'm not a fan of symmetrical quiver, but I wanted to include many things so I had to stick to doing a symmetrical quiver for this set. Is there anything I can do to improve the bow? I feel like it's lacking something, it turns out not as interesting as it looks in the concept :( hopefully it would look better with some colors. Also, I think I will get rid of the small gem on the small shoulder pad, it's too small to be seen in game. Oh and please ignore the weird thing that stick out of the bigger shoulder pad, I was just too lazy to cut that part out.
    b64KtFC.pngHR3IzSX.png
    p5jfXhJ.pngnGxlLwz.png