Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• pear
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    Hey im making a coat for drow and id like to know how to make her arms invisible. thanks
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    aivanov wrote: »
    Justin, there's an 'early access' bundle for something like 40 USD in the in-game Dota store, so it's possible to get someone to buy it and give you a pass.

Edit: Ninja'd by Zip.

You can actually buy it yourself off of the Dota2 store and it'll put it into your steam inventory.
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Finally got Dota2, loads of people are trading it for 2x Treasure Keys (about £3.18 ) so I bought some keys, and then traded them across for a giftable Dota 2 Invite. I'm given Dota 2 and Dota 2 Test to install, should I be downloading both of them?
  • e-barron
    Finally got Dota2, loads of people are trading it for 2x Treasure Keys (about £3.18 ) so I bought some keys, and then traded them across for a giftable Dota 2 Invite. I'm given Dota 2 and Dota 2 Test to install, should I be downloading both of them?

http://blog.dota2.com/2012/02/we-got-nothing/

WoW good business you did there :poly142: It looks like the Dota 2 test client will have the cool updates like items, heroes a week before the normal one. It is awesome to keep an eye in the new stuff that valve will release because you can take some inspirations & learn about what kind of items are good enough to pass to the game.
  • Kamaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamaki polycounter lvl 6
    e-barron wrote: »
    http://blog.dota2.com/2012/02/we-got-nothing/

WoW good business you did there :poly142: It looks like the Dota 2 test client will have the cool updates like items, heroes a week before the normal one. It is awesome to keep an eye in the new stuff that valve will release because you can take some inspirations & learn about what kind of items are good enough to pass to the game.

Would like to point out that this has changed, you want to download dota2 and not the test client. The test client is normally updated on Wednesday with new content for people to check if anything's wrong and then the regular client is updated on Thursday. Generally you won't be able to find matches in the test client since there is a lack of servers for it.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    You actually can buy it, Justin. They have an Early Access package for $40 I think on the Dota2 Store.

http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/57939587?appid=570

Which seems kind of nutz, I mean, $40 to buy beta access for a Free to Play game?
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Which seems kind of nutz, I mean, $40 to buy beta access for a Free to Play game?

You get a lot of items too, though. Like $30 worth. They aren't forcing you to buy it though. If you sign up for the beta it wouldn't take too long to be invited and it's really not that hard to find someone with an invite that they're willing to trade for. I've seen about 20 free keys given out here on Polycount over the last few months by people asking for them in the General Chat thread.
  • Boosh
    5IGAk.jpg

Ok, hopefully you guys can help me. I'm a total noob at this. I've decompiled the models and managed to import them into XSI Modtool. However, as you can see, if I import any other part of Drow after the main body, it distorts all over the place. Help?

Also, repeating the same process with decompiled Juggernaut posted earlier worked like a charm. However the axis (axes?) are wrong and I can't move or rotate anything.

I'm probably making a ton of beginner mistakes but I'm having a hard time finding a good source of info when it comes to importing valve stuff like this.
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't use that program but I'm going to guess at either a problem forming the vertices going from MDL to SMD with the StudioCompiler (Did you do the renaming thing? And what SDK did you configure it to use?), or maybe bones causing the problem. Do you have an option to skip animations when importing?

When I imported other things into the scene it renamed them for me, since you said it does it after importing other parts in, that may be something to do with it? Perhaps import to a new scene then combine the scenes.

Getting it all in 3ds Max worked alright =s
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Started a set for Slardar. Here's the weapon for it.

slardar_Gaurdian_Trident_WIP_01.jpg

I have the armor all modeled out, just need to zbrush and texture it.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Here's the uber high poly model of my "Helm of the Enchanter" for Enchantress.

smlwJ.jpg

I just need to bake it onto the lower poly ingame models. But I'm kind of torn on what the color the textures should be. I was originally thinking green and yellow or orange on the trim to match Enchantress' colors but I'm starting to like the idea of a plain steel type of color.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    You can actually buy it yourself off of the Dota2 store and it'll put it into your steam inventory.

Yeah, I know that now, some of the responses I've gotten have really put me off helping in this thread, it's a lot of work documenting processes and taking the time out to critique and give advice.
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    did a slardar weapon too.
    scrnw.png
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=75988420&tscn=1339265059
    @boosh
    the flipped axes are okay, and you presumably cant move anything because the model is skinned to a rig, wich you have to move instead, or unbind the mesh. have no idea how this is done in XSI though.
  • Robbyh
    So is there any comunity package of the exports people have already done ? seems tedious if wer all gonna do the same thing over and over again. That would speedup stuff for some of us that have problems exporting it / importing it into maya / xsi.
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    First item kinda done, nothing special, but thought she could use a mask. Originally it covered one eye but seemed to look better over two, could probably go back to one, but the strap looked a bit weird.

Maskscreen2.jpg
    Maskscreen1.jpg

Edit: Seems I'm missing gameconfig files from ep1 and orangebox sourcesdks, probably have to download ep1 and tf2 to see if they appear.
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    I started the Slick rick (or mobster riki) bundle. I still need to make a weapon, paint the hat, and make some pants.
  • Robbyh
    pear wrote: »
    Hey im making a coat for drow and id like to know how to make her arms invisible. thanks

You have to delete them / detach them and make them separate, and futhermore animate them again as new parts for when shes shooting the bow, if your not thinking of making her a armless freak that has a flyng bow that autoshoots wich would look wierd yet again.. thats the only way if their attached to the model. and im guessing Valve wont go with that.
  • SWBee
    There is a way if you're in the beta:
    1. Download GCFScape (http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=26)
    2. Navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota" and open the "pak01_dir.vpk" file with GCFScape
    3. Extract the whole folder (or just "models\heroes\" if you don't intend on viewing them with textures in the SDK) to your desktop or wherever
    4. Download StudioCompiler (http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/cftools.php?program=studiocompiler) to decompile the models. There may be a better program for this but it works for me with some tinkering.
    5. Navigate to the hero's folder that you want to decompile.
    6. Copy the "*.dx90.vtx" file and rename it to "*.dx80.vtx". i.e. copy paste "beastmaster.dx90.vtx" and rename it to "beastmaster.dx80.vtx"
    7. Decompile the MDL file with StudioCompiler. i.e. "beastmaster.mdl"
    note: Make sure your destination folder for decompiling is on the same hard drive partition as your MDL files are on. Also, choosing a file path is finicky with this program, just manually paste the file path of your destination folder into the box. Courtesy of figuring this issue out with frohst.

bdsc8.png
    Dota 2 is quite different from TF2 model system as almost everything is a seperate file. More modular to make it easier for the community to create content for heroes I presume.

Silly newbie question here but how did you get the layers situated like that? Mine has a default and then every little bit in a list as opposed to broken down by type (I used Slardar). My layers also aren't color coding, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for all your help so far.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Please rate up :)

tumblr_m5dy5o3Aie1r43xj0o1_500.jpg

All that Napalm being tossed about simply can't be good for ones health. With the latest in filtration technology you'll reduce your chemical intake by at least 12% WHAT A DEAL! Maybe now you won't die at the ripe old age of 32.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=76095728&searchtext=
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    SWBee wrote: »
    Silly newbie question here but how did you get the layers situated like that? Mine has a default and then every little bit in a list as opposed to broken down by type (I used Slardar). My layers also aren't color coding, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for all your help so far.

Since they would still have to be seperate files if you were making an item or changing an item, so it doesn't actually matter. I would setup each layer, select the meshes and right click on the layers and add them in. As for the colours, they tend to be random colours by default when importing in unless you make it otherwise.

@Hawt Koffee, hey nice item. It seems everyone keeps debating over what fits and what doesn't in the dota universe with every item in the workshop -_- thankfully most people seem to agree that it does fit, which it does. Good job.
  • Radiocity
    Can someone explain how i compile my model ?

I exported to a SMD file but then I don't know what to do in the StudioCompiler :(

can you help me ;(

PS: What is the Poly limt for items ?
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it into the workshop, don't think it's appeared quite yet but here's the link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=76177917
    Radiocity wrote: »
    Can someone explain how i compile my model ?

I exported to a SMD file but then I don't know what to do in the StudioCompiler :(

can you help me ;(

PS: What is the Poly limt for items ?

http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/

This should help with your poly limit and compiling needs (apart from the textures).
  • Radiocity
    TortillaChips <3

Man thank you for this Blog ! ;)
  • SWBee
    Since they would still have to be seperate files if you were making an item or changing an item, so it doesn't actually matter. I would setup each layer, select the meshes and right click on the layers and add them in. As for the colours, they tend to be random colours by default when importing in unless you make it otherwise.

@Hawt Koffee, hey nice item. It seems everyone keeps debating over what fits and what doesn't in the dota universe with every item in the workshop -_- thankfully most people seem to agree that it does fit, which it does. Good job.

Now that I've played around a bit more I see that all those layers I saw were pieces of the skeleton. The model itself is just one object, I don't see separate pieces for say the tail, head, or weapon (the layer for the model is just smdimport). I figured since the posting had said the models were modular that one wouldn't have to create one's own layers to work with cosmetics so I'm curious if perhaps I did something wrong.
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    SWBee wrote: »
    Now that I've played around a bit more I see that all those layers I saw were pieces of the skeleton. The model itself is just one object, I don't see separate pieces for say the tail, head, or weapon (the layer for the model is just smdimport). I figured since the posting had said the models were modular that one wouldn't have to create one's own layers to work with cosmetics so I'm curious if perhaps I did something wrong.

Hmm, it might depend on the hero. Queen of Pain has separate smds for hair, weapon, wings and shoulder pads, so i had to import multiple files. Which champion did you try to import?

On the getting started blog thing it says:
    If you are seriously trying to contribute items to the Dota 2 Store, then I suggest you only make addons for those heroes who are already split into multiple parts and have slots available for implementation.
    So it might be that the hero hasn't been split up yet, I noticed that not all heroes are ready to have cosmetics, but I wouldn't be put off by that.
  • SWBee
    I'm working on Slardar so it's probably the case that his model hasn't been set up for the store, someone earlier in the thread made a weapon for him. (Besides stationary weapons are probably the easiest thing to make).

Also when I import him into 3ds max with textures they look blotchy - I don't think that's normal.
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    Textures in the viewport can do, there's a way to make them better quality in the viewport but it's never stuck for me. You can use realtime shaders like xoliul shader, or just hit F9 and render it.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    About done with my Slardar set.

slardar_gaurdian_wip_02.jpg

I'm still trying to find out whether we're required to rig and compile our items or not. It seems it might be better to compile them though since it's easier for Valve to test that way but on heroes like Slardar where the models aren't split up yet that's kind of difficult.
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    I've compiled them, but I doubt it'll work completely. As for the rigging, most of the bones look like they've exploded whenever I import a character in, so for the bracers I didn't bother.

I've finished the bracers to match the mask and default armour for Queen of Pain, here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=76236598

For some reason the mask keeps disappearing from the workshop, sometimes it's under the Queen of Pain tag, sometimes not. Bit weird.
  • Damytria
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    Quick question - when you guys are wrapping up your gear - are you previewing them in-game? Or are you just submitting your Model and Texture files to Valve Via the workshop?
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    So after some research I have found out that Valve is only taking in items only for the heroes they have been cut up and that are slot ready. So if your going to make any thing that is not for the heroes listed you need to wait until next update.

Heroes that are slot ready:
    Axe
    Bloodseeker
    Drow Ranger
    Juggernaut
    Sven
    Kunkka
    Tidehunter
    Faceless Void
    Dragon Knight
    Nature's Prophet
    Omniknight
    Bounty Hunter
    Invoker

Source:http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/

After I worked so hard on riki too :'(
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ninja, that's just speculation from the person who wrote that tutorial.
  • Nemozini
    Modifying Valve rig isn't encouraged?

I want the hero to hold the weapon in a different way. I managed to tinker with Valve's rig. Wasn't easy and I think I need to redo the modification in most animations :(
  • Bawwwcas
    Is there a certain software they recommend us using? (Maya or 3dsmax) And do we need to make a separate texture sheet for the items or do we combine it with the hero UV space?
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really a recommended software, but things like SMD importer/exporter plugins are probably limited to certain programs. Most cosmetics seem to be additions to the character, and some heroes are split up into separate files and textures, so it'd be on a separate texture sheet.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    I need some help here, I've got the basic low poly model done with a AO base texture I'm happy with but before I go into super polish mode with the texture, I'm torn on what the colors shall be still.

I threw together random color combinations, I'm still not completely feeling them. I know for sure I want two basic colors, one for the base helmet and then the second for the trim. I might make the nose guard base color area blend in with the trim but til then I'm not sure.
    pbVG5.jpg

Which one of these looks like the best direction? I'm aiming towards E, but I'm not entirely sure yet.
  • Mathinus
    @Ross, I think A looks best as it fits her green/yellow outfit.

I started working on Dazzle set. Since it's my first attempt at modelling/texturing I would gladly accept any advices :)

So far I did this model/textures and I'd like to know what you think about it and/or what can be improved.

prev3o.jpg
  • Kenny
    Offline / Send Message
    Kenny polycounter lvl 7
    when I try to load models in modelweaver (alien swarm sdk) it have some terrible distortions.Untitled-1.png
    can you help mah?
    (some parts not displays) :(
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Loading Dota 2 'weapon' sub-models doesn't work in the Alien Swarm model viewer, as it's an older version of the tool.

Until Valve releases a Dota 2 SDK, which could be anywhere from tomorrow to months down the line, we're stuck with either this or the CS:GO beta SDK, which is newer and can mount sub-models - but not everyone can get it.
  • Nemozini
    View in Blender , needs a bit of work to get textures unwrapped and applied into your Viewport. But works fine for me. Import Y as the up axis for them to stand up!
  • SWBee
    I-ninja wrote: »
    So after some research I have found out that Valve is only taking in items only for the heroes they have been cut up and that are slot ready. So if your going to make any thing that is not for the heroes listed you need to wait until next update.

Heroes that are slot ready:
    Axe
    Bloodseeker
    Drow Ranger
    Juggernaut
    Sven
    Kunkka
    Tidehunter
    Faceless Void
    Dragon Knight
    Nature's Prophet
    Omniknight
    Bounty Hunter
    Invoker

Source:http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/

After I worked so hard on riki too :'(

Doom Bringer has helm and sword has separate models.

Is it normal for the Dota 2 models to import way off grid/in the wrong orientation in 3ds Max?
  • Jernej
    are we allowed to make chenge the characters themselves (i mean i want to add a shirt to a character)? if yes what is the polycount.

Regards,

Jernej
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    If you added a shirt the most important thing would probably be to follow the flow of polys from the body.

In fact extruding them and modifing would be the best option. While it's not entirely 'yours' that way, you will avoid clipping issues as the shirt could just go over the character (they don't have to seperate polys of the body to fit your shirt). And they can weight the verts exactly the same.

If you feel that is cheating you can do what I did with my pyro TF2 clown boots and start from scratch but just match the polys 1 for 1, uv unwrap yourself, and just make sure you turn edges to match the characters edges.
  • Radiocity
    :(

You guys helped me very nice. I hope you can help me one more time.

I have a problem set the Path of the GUIStudioMDL.

I used D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\alien swarm\bin

Then it ask for GameInfo.txt can some upload this file :(

I search in the folder for this i found 5 GameInfo.txt's i try all but all time error.

:(
  • Sweeep
    Mathinus wrote: »
    @Ross, I think A looks best as it fits her green/yellow outfit.

I started working on Dazzle set. Since it's my first attempt at modelling/texturing I would gladly accept any advices :)

So far I did this model/textures and I'd like to know what you think about it and/or what can be improved.

prev3o.jpg

Hey man this looks great. Question though, how did you remove Dazzle's hair? When I tried to import him as an OBJ it was all one solid mesh and I couldn't move it :S
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Posting this as it may be useful; *THIS* (currently the last) post contains a link to most of the heroes' decompiled SMDs.
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    Well still working on riki but at least i got the hat done kind of. It clips like hell.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=76533835
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    ik7Ad.jpg

Happy with how this turned out, now I need to work on the rest of the pieces of my set.
  • Relo
    Can anyone help me out? I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this, but I have looked at the, limited, amount of tutorials and help available to create items for the Dota 2 workshop. I've modeled what I wanted in 3ds Max and exported it as a .smd file; however, it is compiling these that is giving me the largest headache and amount of frustration. I cannot figure out how to compile everything. I've tried working with .qc files, but even after researching them more and trying to compile the files using GUIStudioMDL, I just am stuck at a wall. With my .qc when I try and load it in the program, I just receive an error message saying that it could not load my .smd file. I'm really sorry of this has been asked a million times over and the answer is probably right in front of my eyes, but whether it be through this thread or through pm, could someone help me through the process of compiling? Thanks in advance.
    Edit: If it makes any difference, it's just a hat model for Queen of Pain.
  • NoChance
    Legal question

I'm interested in doing this in my spare time but was wondering if this would count as an "invention.' I signed a contract that I'm sure is pretty standard that states that anything I "invent" belongs to the company.

Normally I wouldn't care about art I was making on the side, but since this has a chance of making me money I thought I should cover my bases.