Home Dota 2

Need help with fur.

Hey guys,

I'm making my first workshop submission, and it's a set for a hero.

I'm planning to have fur, but how would one go about doing it?

Should I just have a cylinder in place or something in the base model so I can bake the high-poly sculpt with fur onto the basemodel?

Thanks

Replies

• Quadscount
    Hate to do so... but

bump
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    I'm not sure we're on the same page regarding what you can and can't do in Dota 2. Assuming I've understood you correctly, all the fur needs to be modeled as part of the additional items. Also you can't change the base model - if you want to make "changes" to the base model you'll have to cover it up with your own geometry.
  • Quadscount
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    I'm not sure we're on the same page regarding what you can and can't do in Dota 2. Assuming I've understood you correctly, all the fur needs to be modeled as part of the additional items. Also you can't change the base model - if you want to make "changes" to the base model you'll have to cover it up with your own geometry.

Sorry, I meant the low-poly models when I referred to 'basemodels'.

I'm more asking how one technically creates low-poly fur, like Juggernaut's mane-type hair.
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    If you want to make something like juggernaut's cape/mane-thing you would usually just sculpt it in Zbrush and retopo it for the lods. As for sculpting it's usually just practice and a lot of trial and error (you can always google zbrush fur/hair scuplting and get some videos on that). That's the kind of hair/fur you usually see in dota.
    You could also add some spline/plane based fur but that is much more complicated and not really used in dota. I would not advise to use it unless you have years of experience in 3d modeling for games.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Its is exactly as Vovosunt said. Depending on the effect you want it will either be a solid mesh with detials baked down, or the more traditional way of doing fur by layering cards and using the alpha, like this image (note the alpha is not active in this shot)
    002.png