Home Technical Talk

How would I make this in Max?

Hi guys it's been a while since I posted, been super busy since the Marvel job offer. I've been asked by a client to make this.

mike+iverson+game+of+thrones+dragon+egg.jpg

Now the geometry of the egg is easy I made that with a sphere and the 4x4 FFD modifier but I can't for the life of me find a quick and dirty way of getting the scales to extrude symmetrically :O

I'm losing all hope and the deadline is Monday 12th. I don't want to turn down this commission as there will be more work in future.

I'm using 3DS Max 2010 btw the only program I use lol

Any idea how I can do these damn scales?

Paul

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like it's using fibonnaci spirals.

image%5B6%5D.png

You might be able to find a plugin that will generate an array using them, then bend them down to fit the shape?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If some of the array scripts floating around scriptspot can't get it done then I would probably do...

1) Hand place each one, it might be laborious but it might be faster than trying to find a way to do it procedurally.

2) Use particleFX to populate the surface of a egg with the custom particle shape set to one scale mesh.

3) Use object painter to place the scales on the surface of a sphere, either one click at a time or with some exact spacing. I forget if the standard object painter has one click placement, I think Soulburn Scripts does.

4) Use the Compound Object > Scatter to place scales on the surface of the egg, you might need to try various methods and differently triangulated egg meshes. And then use the Scatter settings like "scatter along face centers". If you can get verts in all the right spots you can use them to as spawn points, you might have to rotate and tweak them a bit but it might get you farther along than normal.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    takes like 5 sec dude, make one scale, duplicate 10-12 horizontal, then dup vertically 8 or so, instance these guys and so you can make them scale right and not run into each other. Bend modifier, and FFD box to taper the ends, hand place the rest on the two end openings. your done. you can fool around with how your making it so you don't have to hand place jazz on top... but this should give you an idea.
  • uncle
  • 4f6f3b
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4f6f3b polycounter lvl 4
  • predpaul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    takes like 5 sec dude, make one scale, duplicate 10-12 horizontal, then dup vertically 8 or so, instance these guys and so you can make them scale right and not run into each other. Bend modifier, and FFD box to taper the ends, hand place the rest on the two end openings. your done. you can fool around with how your making it so you don't have to hand place jazz on top... but this should give you an idea.

I like that idea it was the clone by instancing that threw me off. I originally attached them all as one object *facepalm*

I'll give that a shot, if not particles it is :)

Thanks guys

Paul
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    predpaul,

You may already be on the way with the dupe/FFD method, but if you wanted a procedural method, I did this in about 45 min. (not counting the dicking around I did with variations). I made a single scale with two Bend modifiers, instanced a strip of them, then used PathDeform and played with its settings and the Bends to get a reasonable looking section. Then I Shift+Rotated the section 45 degrees and made 7 more instances. I repeated this at 22.5 degrees and played with the Percentage settings on the alternating sections to get the offsets. Nice thing about this method is the ability to make a lot of variants.

max-procedural-egg-scales.jpg
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Id make one branch of the the spiral using a path deform and then duplicate it round the egg thing
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    That is essentially what I did, but I altered one set of them to get the offset. I've also been playing with the path on them to get a little less 'regularity' to the scales.
  • shirogatsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shirogatsu polycounter lvl 5
    Sorry for super-bad quality guys, but I hope this will help you!
    pvTQnLV.jpg
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    That deserves a round of applause - excellent use of cunning
  • predpaul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe wrote: »
    That deserves a round of applause - excellent use of cunning

I had to return to this thread I did make it in the end using the last suggestion. Thanks to all :poly136:

The welding and chamfering to particle method worked like a charm :)

Paul
  • ionut9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    I need help with this: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1897178&postcount=11

I do not understand from the last picture :

''use new mesh as a base for particle placement

how do I do that cause I do not know where to go and I am stuck

I desperatly need this in a project.

Please reply here: ionut9@gmx.net

Regards ,
    John