Homeโ€บ Digital Sketchbooks

sketchbook: jouste

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    hey jouste, I was wondering if you'd like to loan out your awesome imagination for a small collaboration between me and you. I was thinking of making a really short animation, about 20ish seconds, and you're always coming up with rad ideas so I wanted to see if you'd be interested in doing some concepts/story design/storyboarding/directing type work with me. Ideally, I'd want this project to last about 8-10 weeks.

If you're interested in seeing some of your characters in 3d moving around and doing... things.., shoot me a PM and we can talk about it a bit.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    oh man! We have to do something MASSIVE!, with ARMOR, and Nice proportions, YES! I AM EXCITED! some old school love for this would be great, YESYES! LETS THINK!

AW SO ME!

ben
    benregimbal@hotmail.com

oh and MEAN yesyes but COOL mean, YES! lol
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I must hop on the ass kissing bandwagon.

I love how everything is somehow cute, badass and grotesque all at once.
    You are awesome, everything in here is awesome, so concludes the ass kissing. :)
    Keep it up man, can't wait to see more!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    To prove that Jesse (jouste) is, in fact, man and not machine (contrary to popular belief) I managed to snap a cell phone picture as proof.

He's sat beside me for nearly 3 years and I am pretty sure he sleeps with that bandanna on.

jouste.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i knew it! moustache ftw :D
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    haha!

his secrets must lie in that bandana, I bet some kind of leprechawn is hidden in there, feeding his brain with crazy stories.

In any case keep doing what you do Jouste, we love you! That slimey dude looks absolutely distusting and cute at the same time. I dig.
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    "ancient art of hitting a target with a harpoon and "pulling" large chunks of meat off them" FTW

Looks good Jouste, needs a little more saturation of color like you other sketches tho.

note to self: get a bandanna with a leprechaun in it.
  • ricolas71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ricolas71 polycounter lvl 12
    I love the way you color your drawings. Light and smooth. It looks like aquarelle
  • blekdar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey jouste your work is great man! Any chance you can give us a little tutorial or somin about how you colour your drawings?

If you could that would be awesome!
  • Pedro Amorim
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    aesir: PM sent my friend! always great to hear from you. thanks for dropping by!

b1ll: got the IM's rolling, lets make something rad.

oglemeanimations: wow thanks for the compliment grenade! your description of how my stuff comes off really got me thinkin' about my artwork. thanks dude!

adamBrome: nice photography my man, and i do not sleep in that bandanna, i have a night bandanna for things like that.

Rens: yes! Movember finally gave me a sweet excuse to sport the handlebars!

wizo: thanks wizo! and lets get on another one of those character trades soon, the last one really got me amped on drawing.

slingshot: i agree on the saturation note slinger, i'm trying to find a soft look that relaxes the viewer but i get a little carried away with the softness and it comes off all limp and pathetic sometimes.

ricolas71: welcome to the forums! and i think i try to make it look like watercolor cause i could never get a handle on the damn stuff to save my life. thanks for dropping by!

blekdar: hopefully this post will helpful to anybody interested in trying a different way in coloring those pretty line drawings we all have piling up.

bitmap: you bet! thanks for the boost.

so blekdar asked for a bit of a tutorial thing so i quickly threw something together. you can see my layer layout right here pretty much.
    i LOVE masks, and you know how rarely i type with capitals so that right there is saying quite a bit.

remember when you were first coloring in your G.I. Joe coloring books? and the damn green crayon was going outside roadblock's fatigues? talk about a frustrating way to go through high-school.

anyways, layer masks allow you to forget about staying in the lines with awesome technology! just get a beefy strong "comic book-hack artist" line going and magic wand that shit! make a new layer, paint bucket, inverse selection and fill again! (this'll be your main coloring layer so set it to multiply).

the mask will be a new layer you can just slap different color all over the place and it will magically stay within your lines! use this to come off looking way more skilled than you actually are and pick up tons of women passing by your laptop at the local comic book store.

so our subject is craw-face and the rumpus fly, here is a few steps in one convenient image. the "final" is after the strip and the steps.

process_strip-1.jpg

1. (roughly 8minutes):
    i call this my "fun" phase because it's really where i yank all the fun out of my drawings. it's seriously the most blissful part of me drawing, mainly because its just a furious sketch storm where i try to convince myself just how awesome this image will be.

2. (about 20minutes): this is called the "dear god what was i thinking" phase. i've realized that the quick sketch is NOT as awesome as i once thought, i've made my bed, and now i got to lay in it. i go over the rough cool lines with a more solid pass.

contrary to popular belief; i usually have NO idea what the story is behind my guys until very late in the process. luckily the "dear god, what was i thinking" phase allows me to add some extra do-dads to the character so i can drum up with something while i upload it to photobucket.

3. (mere seconds!) after checking out my awesome layer set up you can see that i made a layer for the character and one for the background so they can be two separate entities!

4. (8 minutes): a quick color pass, and since we are using the astounding powers of the layer mask (pressing alt click in between the two layers you want). it makes it a snap!, just pick a brush that you dig and go to sexy town! like green? add green with big sloppy strokes you crazy maniac! they'll all stay inside those lines!

5. (5 mins): a quick light and dark pass as well as a quick background pass. whenever i draw lights i always do them going from the top left cause i found it was faster that way and never stopped.

6. (mere seconds!): i overlay a layer of plaster from cgtextures.com. and maybe mess with some settings. seriously... plaster is awesome. i also sneak in some light hits to make my stuff not so muddy looking.

aaaand here she is!

so craw-face is an interstellar assassin armed with a wrist spine that injects the most crazy ass venom you'll ever read about in a forum post. here we see him getting his next job from the rumpus fly (named by my better half), a notorious gangster that's been wronged one too many times by his closest friends.

and the adamant jouste followers may notice that i just hacked my doom-goat from my hell-belly picture a few pages back, but come on! i just wanted to show some goofy process! cut a guy a break!

craw-face.jpg

-jouste
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    Most impressive technique-er-ing. You sir are very good at choosing your colors.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    That little flying bug thing is so awesome. Incorporate similar awesome-ness into your brainstorming on our mini collab.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Good lord man, what the hell is wrong with you?
    Ps: Let's get drunk tonight?
    jouste2.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jesterbox: thanks man, i think the biggest thing to keep in mind when picking colors is use the complimentary ones and keep your palette simpler with only a few different colors to keep it looking together.

@aesir: that i definitely will keep in mind! glad you like the rumpus fly. i'll try too keep that guy in mind when we start working on something together

@adambrome: so adam and everybody else in the office apparently thought i looked foolish in this awesome blanket.
    they are wrong because i looked awesome.
    and that night we did get blasted and it was awesome.

so here's shocks the space detective! he's one of those electric sheep that androids may or may not dream about.

he's outfitted with a telekinetic ally controlled magnifying glass to search for space-clues and department issued laser proof helmet. one of his accessories is a cobalt-pipe that makes him look much more distinguished and keeps his power levels high.

shocks is capable of flight and can meld with storm clouds; beefing up his cloudy body by huge amounts but keeping his head ridiculously the same size. shocks uses massive electrical blasts to keep his foes on their toes and solves the most intricate space mysteries ever.

shocks.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    haha.. on this page is so much WIN :D !!
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rollins: thanks for the boost man! great to hear from you again.

so here's a bomb-fin. bomb-fins are airborne creatures that create piles and piles of extremely volatile substances in their guts, this occurs until the bomb-fin becomes so bloated that it will explode; this usually results in one giant mess and alot of casualties. this primarily happens during the bomb-fin's spawning season where exploding is the main factor in procreation.

enter the narf parasitic stabilizers. the narf is a quadrupedal parasite that latches onto a low flying bomb-fin to get across long distances. the narf's prevent the bomb-fin from exploding by leeching some of its blood and breaking it down into it's own energy. these feedings will last months at a time and usually end with the bomb-fin simply rotting out from exhaustion as his mating ritual never met any type of fruition in the most deadly case of blue balls ever.

after the bomb-fin collapses the narfs will ultimately find another host bomb-fin to take them away from the jungle floor where predators are abound.

-jouste

bombfin.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    this is some awesome stuff jouste, I need to visit these sketchbooks more often, you do a great job picking colors.

one thing that struck me though was the way you mask stuff between your bg and foreground is that you alt click between as a mask? I'm so used to clicking the circle shaped thing on the bottom of the layers palette and using that as a mask - is there a real difference or benefit to doing one over the other?
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    hahhaha those stories :).

bounch: yeah, now you don't need to apply the same mask to every new layer, but you can just alt click and your done.
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really digging "shocks" the sheep, good solid weird design.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bounchfx: thanks for the boost man, and yeah japhir answered your question. i also found it a faster way of doing it, and i'm all about getting it done fast.

@japhir: thanks for answering the question dude. and glad to hear the stories are striking a chord.

@slingshot: yeah i'm a fan of shocks as well, hopefully he gets enough attention that i'll draw him some more. thanks for dropping by slingshot, always good to hear from you.

so here's the mindsmith, riding atop his fiend-of-the-orange mindslave. a typical mindsmith hammer's blue psy-nails into his/her victim's skull and controls them from there until the creature dies or the nails have been removed painfully by another mindsmith. this mindsmith has managed to capture and control a fiend-of-the-orange, a very powerful being that warranted 3 psy-nails before becoming a servant of the smith.

fiends-of-0the-orange are extremely powerful creatures that can wield dimensional rings of the purple mass. these rings are controlled gateways to a dimension that is full of an awful purple being filled with razor sharp teeth and constantly twitching eyeballs. the fiends use these rings to trap their enemies and unleash segments of the purple mass onto all who stand in their way.

this fiend is dumping out a small bit of the purple mass to be controlled and corralled into the enemy. the dimension of the purple mass used to be a regular dimension until the purple mass became everything there. its a really lousy place to be and should be avoided by all inter-dimensional travelers. the victims unlucky enough to fall through the hoop end ups being absorbed into the purple mass, their consciousness becoming torn asunder over the course of countless millennia.

the fiends-from-the-orange originated from a similar dimension that cut a deal with the purple mass to become trans-dimensional body couriers in exchange for 3 mouths and a good dental plan.

mindsmith.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    no but seriosly, cut out all that awesomeness....
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    drool.

I have a request.

make your next one wallpaper sized! 1280x1024 or a widescreen one. UBER THANKS
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    You sir have a great style!
    I'm in awe of how the backgrounds fit in so well with the character- that also have so much personality.

I like pretty much everything you've drawn
    Seriously great work
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @konstruct: man thanks for the compliment, i'll see what i can do...

@bounchfx: hey dude, the sizes are what they are, but i'll tell you what, if you got a fave i'll extend the bg for you for whatever size you want. about all i can do though.

@StephenVyas: thanks man! glad to hear your digging the stuff.

so i did up the bangaroo, another mount and rider. the bangaroo is outfitted with several sonic throat canons that augment his insanely intricate esophagus and multiple voice-boxes. this bangaroo has also had a recent accident involving his tail, and something biting it off.

luckily our resourceful rider has replaced the stump with an awesome hook and some marginally clean dressing. now "stumpy" the bangaroo can hook things that are chasing him across the desert tundra.

the rider his a holstered glass canon that can shred anything fleshy within 50 yards of the muzzle as well as some basic noise filtration for when the bangaroo fires off a volley of vocal vehemence.

bangaroo.jpg
  • LoJack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoJack polycounter lvl 12
    man, I love this thread so much. such a crazy amount of attitude and character, just doesnt seem fair. I'm calling hax on this, all of this. gratuitous amounts of badass lol
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should keep running with the theory the bigger the sketches the better they come out, because the last two sketches were Kick'in!
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lojack:
    thanks for the compliments man! always good to know that much love resides in the sketchbook.

@slingshot:
    point taken, thanks pal, i'll keep drawin 'em big. thanks for droppin' by.

so christmas is way over and i needed to draw a bounty hunter with a trained speed-slug to wrap up the holidays. i'm sure we all have had the urge to recently.

so this is stomps the bounty hunter. he's got a savage club-shot that can cudgel or blast a hole through his opponents and 2 pairs of yellow goggles in case one breaks down. now being a spine-banded ky'rxx, stomps is nigh invulnerable and can go for months without any food or internet (a true galactic survivor). stomps only takes the "wanted dead" bounty's because its against his ky'rxxian culture to not kill anything that's running from him.

the speed-slug is a typical hunting companion to many a space bounty hunter. speed-slugs are actually out of phase with the current time line and when on the prowl, appears as a vicious blur as it slides its way through a few dimensions in fractions of of a nano-second.

speed slugs are ultra vores that are able to eat both anything existent and non-exsistent. this comes in handy when slugging thier way through more of the stranger dimensions.

stomps.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    your ideas are simply stupendous!
    super-fantastiche
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant understand how you pump out all these amazing ideas, and work it out with so much style. Respect.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MoP: thanks for the compliments man! always great hearing from you. thanks for dropping by.

@Rens: many thanks rens! i'm actually gonna sit down one day and figure that out as well. much respect right back at you.

i wanted to reply right away so i did up a quick interstellar assassin cause i really dislike naked sketchbook thread posts.

so here's the terrible secret bear! behind his cool stone-steel mask he holds a terrible secret! secret bears are so horribly ugly that they need to have a constant flow of drugs pumping into their brains that force the bears to forget about how horrendous they look. these drugs still try to keep the instinct to use their face as a weapon but how they look exactly remains foggy to the space bear.

this one is named "four" and he is so awful looking that he has single-facedly killed an entire viewing audience when he appeared on let's make a deal. some say that death-by-bear-face is the worst way to go ever, the face is so appalling that your brain turns inside out and you start to actually like russel crowe's band for their music and not just their hilariously bad attempt at entertainment.

secret bears will usually use their appearance to finish off their foes, but sometimes the memory dampening drugs makes them forget to use their faces and they end up using their crimson claws to maul opponents into submission.

secretbear.jpg
  • MoP
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: ยป

i'd be honored. of course you can! do you need any other sketches of the guy>?

(damn, a naked post oh well, i'l fill it soon...)

-jouste
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, since I'm doing it for fun, the sketch you have up there is just fine - I'd probably ad-lib a fair bit anyway.

However if you just want to draw some more angles/poses of the same guy, I'd be interested to see how you'd clarify the chest/abdomen of the three-mouth creature (seems non-humanoid anatomy judging by the sketch), and also it'd be cool to see a more refined view of the guy on top and his little carriage.

Or failing that, and me being lazy not wanting to model the guy and the carriage thing on top, a different "feral" version of the 3-mouth monster (maybe with scars from where it tore out the mind-nails!?) running wild without a mind-smith, maybe some evidence that one was thrown off & eaten or something.

I mainly wanted to have a crack at the monster and the ring with the purple tentacles coming out of it, so the "feral" variation is probably what I'd do anyway ;)
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MoP: wicked, and please don't think for a second that i wanted you to model the thing verbatim. i look forward to seeing how you improve the monster and add piles of different stuff.

so i got back from errands and got this rough sketch down. as for the chest area, it basically has some defined pectorals that run into its clavicles with a pile of asymmetrical knotted and bloated abdominal areas making up the "gut" of the creature.

the flabby knots of muscle flop over the thing's belt so the only techy details that show are some cylindrical devices to his side;. these were installed when the mindsmith had a hold of him and installed them there.

he also stands on tiny-ish legs so that he looks more like a gorilla and can hunch over like a gargoyle easier. but either way just have fun with the idea, don't hold yourself to anything i've done here, i just wanted to revisit the guy quickly.

and the pose where he looks like he's a ringmaster at a circus is just to show some more anatomy and is more of a joke if anything.

foto_small.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    freaking, nice.... that ogre/squid combo is win!

checking out all these char design at once is soooo inspiring, its like having a triple redbull for creativity!!

so err cheers to you!
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup back to the ol' sketch book again Jouste, looking good.
    Hey mop post a link to the model when you start working on it in here if ol' Jouste will let ya, really curious to see how it comes out.
    BTW Jouste that bear creature is really disturbing!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"jouste added to: list-of-people-I-want-an-artbook-from"
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    "jouste added to: list-of-people-I-want-an-artbook-from"

+1
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @wizo:
    thanks for dropping by wizo! let's see what that triple red bull injection gets out of you! get some more sexy drawings done plz.

@slingshot:
    hey slinger. as far as i'm concerned MoP can put his stuff wherever he likes. the concept is all his so he can do whatever he wants with it.

@rollin:
    hmm i'll look into that one rollin, thanks for checking it out, always good to hear from you.

@gavku:
    awesome! another customer ;P thanks for the +1 of confidence pal. i'll take it to heart.

so before i jump back into work i wanted to get anotehr drawing done.

here's the bristlefish! he's a starfishian warrior bristling with deadly sci-fi weaponry! starfishian's can regrow thier limbs at such an insane rate that the reaction causes enough energy to power an entire ordinance of space guns.

so bristle fish here amputated his left arm in order to create the energy matrix that powers his armor and weapons. the problem is that the guy needs someone to organize all that rogue energy into the most effective places.

well who better to organize things that a space vixen! yes this is a class-4 space vixen, perfectly capable of kicking ass as well as energy organization. it's this hired space vixen that keeps bristlefish from exploding apart into a ba-jillion pieces due to his astounding energy output.

bristlefish.jpg
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    Well jouste that is something, and that something is awesome.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    fucking bannanas dude. ...bannanas
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    looking this thread is always a fun ^^ cooool stuff
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Hahahaha jouste man, I nearly lost my drink on that last one. There's something about the ridiculous excessive hands and weapons that made me really laugh hard! Something about how calm that chick looks on that things back that is also now amusing me the 15th time I've looked at that hah.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    haha love it

your art kind of reminds me of Genndy Tartakovsky's cartoons. Not so much in style but in that they're simultaneously ridiculous, cartoony and badass. Also why you make such great castle crashes fan art :)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    this, sir is impressive ! love the overall style of the pieces, NICE.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sub-roland: thanks for the boost man! glad to hear it's awesome ;D

@konstruct: i love bananas. thanks for dropping by.

@ebolav: glad to hear you dig it.

@saidin311: haha hearing that you cracked up made my day.

@ferg: thats a great compliment ferg, i love Tartakovsky's stuff.

@johny: thanks for checking it out dude.

so its been far to long, been busy so i quickly banged out another mounted dude. now back over the holidays someone asked me why i always draw dudes riding monsters and after a few weeks of contemplation i came to this conclusion:

drawing a mounted guy gives my a happy medium of three elements to work with; we got a rider, a monster, and a weapon or prop of some sort. and i like drawing all those things.

anyways here's the horror that hops, a tombunny! tombunny's are disgustingly carnivorous and will usually only eat thier prey when they are somewhat alive. tombunny's have been known to leave the majority of a kill if it dies during the first few bites.

this tombunny has had it's tail amputated, this is a common practice to domesticated tombunnies because thier tail is twice as dangerous as the tombuny itself. riders who ride full-tailed tombunnies are revered as amazing lunatics that are goign to die any second now.

the rider is a typical red-bandit who has a trained hookroc on his arm and a searspear that can melt through pretty much anythign i have ever drawn.

the poor sap under the bloody maw of the tombunny was a mauve marauder who has just recently ran out of luck.

tombunny.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i did up a dude over lunch, went with more of a simple approach and messing with some colors.

here's captain meyers. or what once was captain meyers. meyers was the greatest intergalactic exterminator in the known universe, constantly creating more and more effective ways of decimating the incectile vermin that plague the cosmos.

after many years of hunting down clusters of star-fly hives and meteor-locust swarms he realized that unlocking the hive mind would allow him to kill even more of the bugs in an even more efficent fasion! so he set to work on his most raddest invention ever; a helmet that would allow him to tap into the hive mind of the space-bugs and control them through sheer will power of his awesome brain.

unfortunatley the cosmic hive mind that crackels through space is very mysterious and totally scary, once the brave captain meyers activated the helmet he crumpled to the ground screaming crazily. the helmet unlocked a huge batch of super-charged empathy that riddled him with the plight of the space bugs and the repressed guilt he has had over the millions of innocent incests he murdered.

after 3 weeks of writhing on the floor, captain meyers arose a new being, in an obscure attempt to make up for his previous "mistakes" he swore alegience to the hive mind and now uses his telepathic link to the swarm and cunning brain-meats to fight for the very creatures he so previously exterminated.

as the years went on his body became wretched and twisted, feeding off carrion and royal jelly reserves, becoming something gross and freaky. now he is known to all as the moon maggot! harbinger of the star-swarm and scourge of the 40th nebula!

moonmaggot.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    your ideas are insane

very flavorful as usual
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think im about to repeat myself, its all eye candy jouste :)

(i need to get back on those concepts sometime,
    i changed directions abit, and been quite busy with nothing & my internship lately :S )