Home General Discussion

Don't feed toddlers hot sauce

Ryno
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ryno polycounter lvl 18
My son Loki has taken to raiding our new refrigerator, and one of the things that he can easily reach is our supply of hot sauce. For the last few days he's been pulling out the tabasco and siracha, and saying "Want some hot sauce!"

Well, daddy decided to grant him his wish. I poured him a little spoonful of tabasco, which he quickly ate. Then he turned bright pink. Next he began crying. Finally he puked on the table. Then he staggered a few feet and said "No barf", then proceeded to barf again all over the dining room floor.

Moral to the story... Don't feed a toddler hotsauce, even if they ask for it. Or if you absolutely must, be sure not to feed them a full spoonful.

On the plus side, Loki hasn't once asked for any more hotsauce since. If I ask him if he wants some hot sauce now, he just replies "No barf hot sauce."

Replies

• MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    hahaha, give it time. I didn't develop my taste for the hot stuff until i was 18 or so, but then again I'm pretty sure it gave me an ulcer, i was putting that shit on everything
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    that shit is awesome! man you totally should have video taped that. you would have been given absolute hell by your spouse, but holy hell that would be a great one to show to his girlfriend when he starts dating! i'll be sure to remember this advice as my wife and i are expecting our first any day now.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hotsauce: The apparent Epikak of toddlers.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I was given a Tijuanna Mamma spicy pickled sausage as a toddler and it turned me into spicey food fanatic. For a long time I put jabenero sauce on everything but around my twenties I wanted to taste something else besides burning and I cut back, I've since lost all my built up resistances to hot sauce.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    haha, wtf were you thinking to give him a full spoonful of it? Got that must have smelled amazing (bile/hot sauce).
    At least now, if you want him to stay out of something, you just have to say it tastes like hot sauce. "You want some of my beer? Sure, but it tastes like the hot sauce."
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    we really need a good polybarf smilie
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    That's so funny! Over here my son is really into hot salsa. It's totally random though. He'll get a giant scoop on a chip and love it. Then the next time he'll get a smidge and it'll be 'too bicy'. It's pretty nutty either way. Toddlers are a riot.
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Did you clean up the barf, or did you get one of those sudden calls and had to drive to work that VERY second lol
  • The Master Elite
    Wort.

...I LIVE off hot sauce, but my youngest brother, who is a toddler, likes slightly hot stuff. Haven't gone off and given him anything yet, since he's my brother, but if he's like my other brothers (and thus like me) he'll love hot stuff when he's older. :)
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Lemon, on the other hand, borders on downright hilarious. If you haven't given Loki a slice of lemon yet, I highly recommend it.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    no, hot sauce is food of the gods. Clearly the moral of the story is to put down a tarp first.
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Loki's two, so he's already done the baby eats a lemon thing. Always fun.

The funny thing about the hot sauce incident was that my wife was still finishing her dinner while I decided to let the boy partake of the spicy stuff. Without missing a breath between bites she tells me "You get to clean up the barf."

As usual, she was right.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Lemon, on the other hand, borders on downright hilarious. If you haven't given Loki a slice of lemon yet, I highly recommend it.

Grapefruit is another one worthy of having a camera ready ;)
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    that'll teach a kid named after the norse god of mischief. :P
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    lol well no shit, you ODed him on it. You need to start off in smaller doses. A drop or two, then once he gets accustomed to it, you start upping the amount.
  • Bronco
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    LOL, +1 to the videoing idea hehe.

One of my former Co-workers has a 1 year old boy, she went out one night and left her boyfriend (also the boys father) in charge, he didn't know what to cook and the apartment was rather empty in terms of food, especially kids food, so instead of doing the sensible thing and going down the shop to by some kids food her boyfriend shared his adult curry with the boy. Who of course loved it.

Next day she gets a phone call at work from her mum who has taken the boy out shopping, saying something like 'Ok he has crapped himself like ive never seen, its all up his neck all over his body, everywhere...and now he stinks. What have you been feeding him?'.

Moral of the story, never expect a bloke to do the sensible thing , especially when there is a sillier alternative. :)

John
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    your son is a wimp ! next time two spoonfuls ! hahah..

My son is breastfeeding still, but Im feeding my wife as much hot sauce/chilies/curry as possible so my son gets it too !
  • Stubbs
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    *Note to self: If a toddler ever approaches me inquiring about a spoonful of hot sauce, just keep walkin.*
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Uhhhh YEA a whole spoonful, what do you think he would do? At least spread it over some food rather than giving a huge dose at once! There's been a few times where my 2 year old son has had something spicy in one of my dishes, he coughs a bit and drinks his milk. Gotta build up that tolerance, baby steps! HAR HAR PUN INTENDED!
  • steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    haha look at him turn red and vomit in pain haha
    child abuse?
    or
    great parenting?
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    A spoonful does sound like a bit much. It's not like you're supposed to eat it, you just... taste it in your mouth. I recall getting in trouble and being fed a capful of Tabasco, around five... started cussing purposefully to get more of it.

Seems like most the forum enjoys spicy food. What gives? Bit of the evil side, I guess.
  • Rens
  • cman2k
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    bad daddy.....lol.
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Toddlers can be very tenacious in some things. If my son is being annoying with doing something that he shouldn't, i.e., stealing bottles out of the fridge for 5 days in a row saying "Want hot sauce", we then move to plan B. Rather than continuing to put up with the behavior, we have a little something called "Learn a lesson day."

This is basically an opportunity for the child to learn a valuable lesson. It's also a chance to curtail the annoying behavior, and give daddy a chance to say "I told you so. You shold listen to daddy."