Home General Discussion

GODZILLA

Replies

• GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    SOLD: One dad & son day off from work / school, spent at the movies.

The Bhagavid-Gita quote was perfect.

EDIT: And that recording they used was J. Robert Oppenheimer describing the group who witnessed the first nuclear test at Trinity. FLAWLESSLY done, especially for a Godzilla movie.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Now THAT is a teaser! Can't wait to see more!!!
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Since that other link is down..
    http://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_mu5lvwj9Se1qcw25z.mp4#_=

I am more excited for this film than anything coming out in the next year or so. I grew up with Godzilla, and have continued to be a fan into adulthood, with every film in my collection in some shape or form, and just looking up at my work desk right now I have 2 small Godzilla diorama kits and the Godzilla from the original film's figure on my shelf, lol.

I LOVE the tone they are going for. From everything I've read, and the atmosphere showed in that teaser, they look like they have certainly nailed the tone of the original Gojira. Which by the way, if you haven't seen the original Japanese cut, I would highly recommend checking it out. It's far superior to the American version with Raymond Burr edited in, far more haunting and effective. The original treated Godzilla as a natural disaster, a force of nature that man couldn't stop and was a very serious movie and this new one seems to follow suit.

If you haven't seen the footage from the Godzilla encounter at Comic Con, you'll be happy to know that Godzilla looks amazing; there certainly isn't any mutated iguana garbage going on here.

I dunno, I could go on forever about Godzilla and how excited I am for this. :D
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This image alone gives you a good idea of the tone they are going for. vw5x.jpg
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    Wow from the director of Monsters.They got my attention. :)
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If that got your attention, look up descriptions of the second teaser from this year's Comic Con. Sounds really cool !
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheez wrote: »
    If that got your attention, look up descriptions of the second teaser from this year's Comic Con. Sounds really cool !

There's been rumors of that trailer coming out on November 3rd, as that's the 59th anniversary of the release of the original film in Japan.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    amazing...finally can wipe my memory clean of the Matthew Broderick one...
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    NO SHIET. i saw this earlier today. and YES.......the TONE.....THE TONE. felt like demon/dark souls. oh man. this looks promising.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Working trailer here.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1398560287042711
    Do we really want a grim, humourless Godzilla? I'm kinda sick of Hollywood squeezing the fun out of movies at this point.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Working trailer here.
    Do we really want a grim, humourless Godzilla? I'm kinda sick of Hollywood squeezing the fun out of movies at this point.

The original Godzilla was not a happy film. It was The Day After or Threads with a giant lizard killing everybody instead of nuclear weapons.

If the film itself tracks well to this teaser, it is much more loyal to the original film and character than pretty much anything else. We've got Pacific Rim if we want lots of grins and cheer-out-loud "FUCK YEAH!" moments. :)
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9

Hmmm, was Godzilla actually humorous when divorced from the campy manner in which it was produced? I always thought people found Godzilla funny because it looked silly, with it's men in rubber suits, rather than actually funny in script.

Also
    vw5x.jpg

I might be wrong, but I don't think people would pour out of a train like skittles in such an event.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Maybe he lifted it up and shook out the contents of the train?
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    mmm i like this , also really like the typography
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Trying not to get my hopes up. But i do like monster movies and I wonder if the hole in the building is a little nod to the 1998 movie.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe he lifted it up and shook out the contents of the train?

Ah but considering the sheer size of him in the trailer, they would have gone flying for quite a large distance. And yes I am overthinking it.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum wrote: »
    Ah but considering the sheer size of him in the trailer, they would have gone flying for quite a large distance. And yes I am overthinking it.

Possible that the damage caused that is shown here wasn't caused by Godzilla? There are other monsters in the film.

And as far as the hole in the building being a tribute to the 98 Godzilla movie? There's nothing in that film that deserves a tribute, lol.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You know this could really work. The original was making a comment about atomic weaponry. This new version could be commenting about atomic power. (I.E. Fukushima Daiichi). Maybe even a bigger message about the human need for power consumption in general.

Also yea, Jackablade. The Unamericanized version of the original was super dark.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It occurs that I might not ever have seen the original Godzilla. I probably should rectify this.
    Possible that the damage caused that is shown here wasn't caused by Godzilla? There are other monsters in the film.
    If they've got a giant turtle with rockets in his shell, they've secured my ticket money.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I think the image of all the people laying around the train makes sense. That train is on a road, not a track. So, clearly the train was thrown somewhere, then stepped on. people could easily fly out when the train is tumbling around.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    I think the image of all the people laying around the train makes sense. That train is on a road, not a track. So, clearly the train was thrown somewhere, then stepped on. people could easily fly out when the train is tumbling around.

Yeah except unless it was only thrown a short distance then people would be scattered in quite a large spread and not just around where the train landed. Also the windows on that type of train are too small to let out bodies with such violent force. I know there's a massive rip in the side of one but then what I said before still applies.

Trust me, as a giant radioactive monster I've thrashed around many a train in my time. :poly130:
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    This looks very sweet, and it would be great to see Godzilla revisit the somber origins of the franchise. The roar's weird after-sound is terribly distracting though.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    dfacto wrote: »
    The roar's weird after-sound is terribly distracting though.

This was the only thing I didn't like about the trailer, which was fucking brilliant.

Also, didn't realise the train was on the road until Slipsius's post.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Working trailer here.

"I'm kinda sick of Hollywood squeezing the fun out of movies at this point."

"Hollywood squeezing the fun out of movies"

Really? Personally I think the comedy/action thing is so freaking overdone. Like Oblivion, for instance. It was a pretty solid movie minus the cheesy "fun" action quips by Tom Cruise.

I would like to see a realistic sci fi movie (District 9 / Elysium come to mind). We can leave the fun wacky action to Marvel ;)
    Slighty off topic but the teaser for Avengers 2 is out.
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that's a Godzilla movie, sold.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    If they've got a giant turtle with rockets in his shell, they've secured my ticket money.

...we're...not talking about blastoise, are we?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    The roar's weird after-sound is terribly distracting though.

The way they've done the roar for that teaser mimics a specific stylistic glissando-octave jump on the koto (there's some taiko drum in there too). Which makes sense, as the original roar was also created with a string instrument.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    The way they've done the roar for that teaser mimics a specific stylistic glissando-octave jump on the koto (there's some taiko drum in there too). Which makes sense, as the original roar was also created with a string instrument.

Yeah, but the original roar has the string sound tapering off the end of the roar. Here it's two distinct sounds, which is really obvious, and sounds very forced, like they are trying to create an Inception style sound bite.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well again, that clip is old, and if you heard the roar in the Godzilla encounter footage from Comic Con, it very much sounds like the classic roar of old.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll see your jumping Godzilla and raise you a Godzilla dropkick, as to exactly HOW silly it could be. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94mg71wMZaI"]Godzilla vs. Megalon: Godzilla's Dropkick - YouTube[/ame]

I'm with you, I want a serious monster movie in the vein of the original Japanese cut of Godzilla.

As much as I love the campy Godzilla movies for their sheer ridiculousness (see above) there have been plenty of great ones that are serious, but a lot of people haven't taken them that way due to the man in the rubber suit factor and/or the dubbing. For the most part, the films in the Heisei and Millennium series are all serious films.

But I'm ready for the King of Monsters to be taken seriously again. If this film goes well, then I can see something in the vein of Pacific Rim as far as tone. Gareth Edwards has already talked about wanting to do something like Destroy All Monsters.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    If this is the alternative:

tumblr_lc91jlhX6s1qzr8nao1_500.gif

Then I am all for gritty reboots, to be honest I have no issue with this recent trend of harsher more serious reboots. For one reason really, it feels like they're aging with me, and I would argue that you're not making the franchises more adult, just cutting out some of the campiness that was in the original version which might have charm, but doesn't necessarily belong in a big blockbuster.

I'd say good examples would be the Nolans' Batmans versus the original series or the Burtons' ones. The newer ones aren't necessarily adult in content, the violence is there but not really excessive, nor is it unsuitable for kids, it's just maturer and more serious I'd argue.

Same could maybe be said for the newest Dredd (WHICH WAS AWESOME!) compared to the awful Stallone one, which felt like it did a disservice to the character because it was made during a time when it was deemed acceptable to shovel needless comedic relief into anything and everything. It almost seems like we're doing the opposite now culturally and I'm completely behind it.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Well, they actually have the power to do it like that now. You can't get the same mood as this remake back in the days of puppets and guys in suits. It's the same reason starwars 4 5 and 6 were made before 1 2 and 3. The first three required better technology that wasn't around yet.

And just as much as the tech is evolving, so are the writers. Writers now look back at previous work and think how can we improve this? What did people like? what didnt they like? What's more socially acceptable now? Whats socially desired. It's all about trends, right?

Plus, we are grow older, we want the darker stuff. I personally can't wait till they make a proper Spawn movie.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKO10hKtYw"]Godzilla - Official Teaser Trailer [HD] - YouTube[/ame]
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Godzuki? Yes/No?
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    woa... that teaser was amazing.
  • CrazyMatt
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Best monster noise ever!!! Looks awesome!
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian polycounter lvl 14
    Love the tease! Something like this you have to show little bits, but I was liking them using the eerie sounds from 2001: A Space Odyssey! Very cool!

That brooding doom.

space_odyssey_monolith_apes.jpg
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    The Mad Artist and everybody
    Indeed, I agree. This is mostly likely going to be an enjoyable movie made with maximum special effects and mass destruction; however it is rather sad. It sort of has the same "demi-meat", great graphics, general safe tough guy appeal. These movies are usually most cool, but there are just so many.
    You know for fact that there are going to be boring love interests and things from norm norm perspectives, and eye candy types of fellows and ladies. That is no good.

How about some Kaiju mass destruction? When was the last time two monsters duked it out old style? All sorts of strange attacks, pile drivers and other such. Everything just seems to be normalized, and that is too normal you know? How about something wacky, like a new animated show done by gainax or perhaps cartoon network for maximum action figures and things of that nature.

When was the last time anyone has seen Jet Jager or any of the other Kaiju for that matter? I am just not sure, maybe I am just being weird again.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    I think this will be awesome to watch in the cinemas or imax 2d. That halo jump in the trailer was intense, couldn't imagine doing that in real life. I think this film will sell very good and probably be one of the films of the year.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Kridian wrote: »
    I was liking them using the eerie sounds from 2001: A Space Odyssey!

Ah yes, I was trying to figure out where it's from.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The halo jump sequence in the trailer was awesome. The rest of it was somewhat disappointing as a result.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That seems interesting... Too many people though, I hope they won't Transformers the crap out of this and focus more on the monsters.

Also is that the San Francisco skyline? Looks like the Transamerica building in the middle. That would be cool to finally have SF get some cinema lovin'. They're always trashing Tokyo and New York. ;(
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgV87tr7xwM"]Godzilla - Official Main Trailer [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

Holy balls
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    beat me to it haha... it looks awesome!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wait a minute... are there other monsters besides Godzilla in this? Because if so, HOLY CRAPPERS!!!
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones wrote: »
    wait a minute... are there other monsters besides Godzilla in this? Because if so, HOLY CRAPPERS!!!

Yep.
    http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Muto
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I hope they look exactly like that pencil sketch.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones wrote: »
    And I hope they look exactly like that pencil sketch.

Haha, yes.