Home General Discussion

Pacific Rim

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Best movie ever invented. God couldn't do a better job. I am just upset that.....Grown Ups 2 had a better opening day weekend than this. What the hell is wrong with this planet. First famine, then genocide, then War...now this? Come on.

family movie with bankable names.

It is Del Toro's best opening weekend though!
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It's was really fun, the battle scenes felt heavy but also fast, you could feel the weight of the monsters and mechs, but at the same time, they didn't take 10 years to land a single punch or 1 nanosecond like most other modern movies, making it impossible to see anything.

Although, there was too much rain honestly, I hate imaging how this movie will look in my laptops screen as I watch, too much noise which really made it hard to appreciate the monsters and mechs in their full glory.

The story's humor and serious tone were well balanced, after having seen tripes like Lone Ranger, which literally had in the spar of 2 second a tone shift of mega proportions between tragedy and a joke, I was surprised a movie like this took more effort in that department.

The only issue I have with it is the ending, I mean honestly, it felt like a more fancy version of Independence Day if you look at it from the outside, and the symbolism was very heavy handed in those few minutes, you could clearly see where Del Toro was coming from, but still.
    Also, the UN having authoritarian power and making the worst decision ever for financial reasons to save the world? Talk about JRPG trope.

I honestly wonder if they will make a series spinoff from it, a la Aliens or such. Would be grand.
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Best movie ever invented. God couldn't do a better job. I am just upset that.....Grown Ups 2 had a better opening day weekend than this. What the hell is wrong with this planet. First famine, then genocide, then War...now this? Come on.

I have to say, that's kinda predictable honestly. That is movie both kids and parents can watch, as well older peeps who want to relate to Adam Sandler, minus a few million bucks.

For example, in Canada you have Discount Tuesdays, in which the movies can be viewed for 6 bucks, most people who will watching the movies are younger adults, who don't exactly want to pay for 3D or want to go on weekends which are the most expensive of days, so they end up going on the cheaper days at night.

GU2 might have made more money, but only because of it's target audience and group sizes on it's specific days, it's math 101 that people use to hyperbole and woe the disaster of movie theaters.

Don't worry, Pacific Rim is perfectly fine, what you should be worried about is the when someone makes an XXX parody of it, which involves Charlie Day molesting an alien baby in human female form.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Whats not to love about this film?

Giant Robots? Giant Sea Monsters? Cheesy lets save the day moments? Awesome CG? Shit this movie was so fun!
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    This movie was awesome. Also, if there wasn't cheesiness this movie wouldn't have worked. It was a pure live action anime and I loved it for that. Only thing it needed was 10 minutes of pseudo philosophy. And maybe everybody in the world watching the hero save the day at the end.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Havent seen the movie yet, but this is art boner time:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qBfMPFmmm4"]PACIFIC RIM Behind The Scenes: The Pilot Suits - Legacy Effects - YouTube[/ame]
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Speaking of art boner time, here's the art book:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Rim-Man-Machines-Monsters/dp/1608871827/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374183440&sr=8-3&keywords=pacific+rim"]Pacific Rim: Man, Machines, and Monsters: David S Cohen, Guillermo del Toro: 9781608871827: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    That comic kinda misses alot of point that renting the DVD would solve honestly, I wish people would stop doing the entire "we watched a movie with some friends and now we have a well informed opinions that sees plots holes in comic form".
    -They explained on how pretty much the situation snowballed out of control for them, what used to be some time of them just punching large fish turned into almost a speed up of higher grade nasty fish being pumped out really fast. In the a span of 7 years them fighting grade 1 or 2 Kaiju, turned into 5 years of them suddenly fighting grade 4 Kaiju and not being able to keep up with build of them robots or new pilots.
    What was also 6 month downtime turned into a weekly attack basis.

-They didn't improve the tech because the UN didn't think it was needed, with them still trying to control the populace in the red zones, they found out what is needed and kept it that way. They even mention the scrapping of Mark-5 Yager, the only one in Australia before get completed before the attack, Serbia still was using a Mark-1 Yager.
    The UN literally said "Lets build a Large wall", literally, that's it, does that sound like people who wanted to improve the tech of anything? Hell, they even cut down the funding even before the 8 months were up, forcing the program to seek help from black-seller Ron guy.

-Nukes are...pointless? Apart from causing a nice amount of radiation and destruction of the ocean currents, they couldn't even bring down a heavily damaged grade 5 Kaiju.
    Infact, it would only have made it worse, imagine seeing your first K5 and not being able to do anything at this point, literally taken by surprise, and once the constant attacks become hourly, how could they replenish the nukes in time?

There are plenty of things to complain about, the pregnant clone monster, the two way brain thing, the dinosaurs being Kaiju and their extinction, terraform earth, etc, but these thing are not them.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    the dinosaurs being Kaiju and their extinction
    They weren't dinosaurs, they caused the extinction of the dinosaurs the first time they came through the rift, but the planet wasn't suitable.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, haha, yeah, that sentence should have the words 'killed' and 'by' :P
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Japan can't make a decent Gundam movie, and the US has no reason to, since they'd have a mostly unknown franchise to market which they'd have to buy the rights to it.

Hopefully we'll get something though...
  • FullSynch
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    LRoy wrote: »
    They weren't dinosaurs, they caused the extinction of the dinosaurs the first time they came through the rift, but the planet wasn't suitable.
    I thought it strange that this advanced alien race would jump the gun like that. At least check that it's suitable before wiping nearly everything out. Typical aliens. :poly124:
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    This gives me hopes for a decent Gundam flick.

ooo much agreed. I really hope this is the start of a trend here in the west.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I'm glad that I could see robots fighting monsters and that it was a well made film. A
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Seriously was no one else bothered that every fight scene looked like this?
    pacificrim_trailer_hd_screencaps_0037.jpg
    Gipsy_danger_fighting_a_leatherback.jpg
    pacificrim_movie_trailer2_cap8.jpg
    2809415-HDjaegertrio.png
  • WarrenM
    Selaznog wrote: »
    Nope.
  • Pilamin
    Selaznog wrote: »

It did kinda bother me, too. Considering they're giants, often soaked in glistening rain drops, it was the equivalent of shooting an action scene in constant close-up. Very disorienting and hard to figure out what was going on. I felt an *occasional* wide establishing shot would have helped reorient those scenes. Imagine a view from a distant helicopter. I think even those who didn't have a problem with it would have been able to appreciate the action more.

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie. This was the only thing that bothered me, though. I knew what was going on and I didn't necessarily lose my sense of what was going on; it was just a subtle strain to the filmmaking that didn't feel intentional.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah ... as a matter of fact the very short scene showing a battle in broad daylight was by far the most readable of the whole movie.

I want to see more broad daylight battles like this,
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIkitpXurVE"]PS2 - Another Century's Episode 3 OP - YouTube[/ame]

this,
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBwq1n6vsXU"]Armored Core For Answer - Opening (FULLHD) - YouTube[/ame]

or this !
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmPLiJgGASM"]GAIKING - Teaser Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • WarrenM
    I agree that a few wide shots would have been appreciated. It was great to get scale references like when they were walking through a skyscraper or dragging a cargo ship...
  • Purge117
    (First post I've ever made here :D)
    I saw this on Monday for my birthday and I have to say, for my 20th birthday, I felt 5! There's just something about it that makes you feel like you can chill and just enjoy the visual masterpiece and epic action. Went straight to the top of my fave recent films list.
  • dfacto
  • thepapercut
    Saw it yesterday, this movie is why I love del toro; he just knows what my inner child yearns for. Monster and Mech designs were top notch.
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    i saw it the other day too, and tbh i was realy let down.
    the storytelling is tremendously stupid.
    and even the actionscenes ,of wich there were way too few imo, did not impress in the way i expected.
    the whole movie seemed to be lacking speed above all else; the narration was slow, the movie was waaay too long and all the fightscenes were like if you were watching 2 dudes fight underwater.
    then in every shot there were thousands of particles obstructing your vision, be it raindrops or underwaterbubbles.
    i don´t think the movie is realy bador anything, it just could have been waaay better if the atleast the pace was a bit faster.
  • Hellmouth
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellmouth polycounter lvl 11
    Because things that size could conceivably move fast (or move or live at all, but eh). The slowness adds weight to the fights, and I personally found it effective.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he means that pacing of the film, not the speed of the battles. I personally don't' agree because to me the film felt rushed, with some VERY rough editing work to make things stick together. To me it felt like it was envisioned as two films that were cut down to one.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Just saw this at IMAX and I have to say that I loved it. It was the dumbest and most entertaining thing I've seen in a while. Visually, it was great; I loved the cheesy,almost cartoony aesthetic and robot designs.

The plot was a massive letdown, but I had my brain turned off rather quickly.

I really hope it becomes a success. Mainly because I want it to pave way for adaptations of Japanese mecha franchises. A Gundam, or Evangelion film that is actually a faithful adaptation would be amazing. Pacific Rim had some foreign elements to it, so if it becomes a success, maybe movie studio execs will be more willing to not westernize them too much.

Long story short, enough with the superhero movies and bring on giant robots.
  • xalener
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah. I wouldn't call this movie dumb. Everything felt very intentional and well thought out.
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    The only problem I had was that I wanted the Chinese and Russian Jaegers to put up more of a fight and last a bit longer. I've never been a fan of the "Oh man that cool character died so quick that means the enemy is serious business!"
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    xalener wrote: »

Smart visuals don't make it a smart movie, they make it a smartly directed movie. The central point of any film, and what dictates whether it's smart is the plot, and Pacific Rim's plot is paper thin. The entire story hinges on plot holes, but the brilliance of the film is that it makes it entirely believable within it's own world, so you forget about it. That is how sci-fi operates, and especially the kaiju and big robot genre. But that doesn't make it a "smart" film. Hell, there are very few smart films anyways.

Though I do revise my opinion of Pacific Rim. It isn't a dumb movie, since the more I think about it the more cohesive all of it's bullshit is, which is actually the hallmark of a good sci-fi story. But there's nothing smart about it; for it to be smart it needs to challenge you at least a bit, and it was a downhill sled ride in that respect.
  • WarrenM
    Even I'll admit that the plot had a lot of fairly large holes in it, and I'm one of the movies biggest fans. It's a light comic book plot which is fine because that's all it needed to be - an excuse for giant robots to rocket elbow giant monsters in the face.
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    dfacto wrote: »
    Smart visuals don't make it a smart movie, they make it a smartly directed movie. The central point of any film, and what dictates whether it's smart is the plot, and Pacific Rim's plot is paper thin. The entire story hinges on plot holes, but the brilliance of the film is that it makes it entirely believable within it's own world, so you forget about it. That is how sci-fi operates, and especially the kaiju and big robot genre. But that doesn't make it a "smart" film. Hell, there are very few smart films anyways.

Though I do revise my opinion of Pacific Rim. It isn't a dumb movie, since the more I think about it the more cohesive all of it's bullshit is, which is actually the hallmark of a good sci-fi story. But there's nothing smart about it; for it to be smart it needs to challenge you at least a bit, and it was a downhill sled ride in that respect.

From the sounds of it, how 'smart' a film is... is completely subjective.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    To a degree. It depends on the viewer, but if the movie is a nonstop cheese festival with no depth it's objectively "not smart".
  • WarrenM
    The other argument is that not every movie needs to be smart or challenging, and Pacific Rim - to my knowledge - never claimed to be either of those things. So people running it down for not being what it never intended to be is silly.

Might as well get irritated at it for the lack of Victorian period costumes at the same time.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    You say that as if it isn't valid criticism.

8qyi.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    ^CANCELLING THE CROQUET MATCH!
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    "I daresay, would you be so kind as to activate the Elbow Rocket, m'lady?"
  • xalener
    Offline / Send Message
    xalener polycounter lvl 5
    dfacto wrote: »
    To a degree. It depends on the viewer, but if the movie is a nonstop cheese festival with no depth it's objectively "not smart".

Even that's flawed, because "no depth" is kind of an empty statement that depends wholly on what the viewer perceives.

Starship Troopers is a dumb gratuitously violent space marine movie to some and an analysis of American military culture and how its influence drives patriotism to violent and savage extremes to another.

Pacific Rim is a dumb cheesey giant robot movie to some and a comment on man's futile attempts to control nature to another.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    Except Starship Troopers practically shoves its message down your throat, while Pacific Rim doesn't really have one worth mentioning. And it definitely is not about controlling nature, since the Kaiju are alien weapons...

There are elements to explore in Pacific Rim, but they don't go far unless you really start reaching. Del Toro himself admitted it's a monster movie for kids.
  • the-regressor
    Loved this movie, might see it a 3rd time
  • Kurry
    Just came back from seeing it. My girl just said I had a huge grin on my face everytime she looked at me :)

Two hours of geeking out, I really enjoyed it.
  • vargatom
    I'm just gonna leave these here

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdOmgQ1bWUI"]??????????????????????CM - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj-edq36_gk"]???OP MAD?????? ?????????(Attack on the Pacific Rim)?Attack on Titan
  • Goeddy
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome news! Looks like it did well enough internationally to warrant a sequel despite the lukewarm outing here in the US.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/pacific-rim-9m-opening-in-china-biggest-ever-for-warner-bros-sequel-likely/
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    saw it last Tuesday, was entertained for the most part, the vfx were awesome and designs cool. Some of that anime nerd shit pissed me off while watching it but I was expecting it, so i just tried to ignore it.

The story is suuuuuper predictable, me and my buddy were laughing at how much we were guessing what was gonna happen and 2 secs later voila. but the action was readable, the art was top notch. so entertaining but definitely not mind blowing.
  • xalener
    Offline / Send Message
    xalener polycounter lvl 5
    anime nerd shit?
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    xalener wrote: »
    anime nerd shit?
    lol
  • MartinH
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    saw it last Tuesday, was entertained for the most part, the vfx were awesome and designs cool. Some of that anime nerd shit pissed me off while watching it but I was expecting it, so i just tried to ignore it.

The story is suuuuuper predictable, me and my buddy were laughing at how much we were guessing what was gonna happen and 2 secs later voila. but the action was readable, the art was top notch. so entertaining but definitely not mind blowing.

Quoted for truth. I felt pretty much the same way only multiplied by like 10.

yeah the anime nerd shit was annoying.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    W-what anime nerd shit? Did you guys not even watch movies in the past 10 years from the Western market?

I would say Thor, Amazing Spiderman and Captain America had more anime nerd shit then Pacific Rim did.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hahaha. by anime nerd shit I mean all the batshit insane characters, overacting and cheesey dialogue, moments of striking a pose to look "cool" after doing something, and pretty much every scene with the Japanese chick in it I was half expecting to hear those horrible "ahhhhh" "uuuuuwaaaaaaa" "keh!" kinda noises that are sprinkled throughout anime at about every 2 seconds someone is reacting.

The robots were cool though.

*ace: yea those clich