Home Quixel Megascans

Support

Replies

• synthorange
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd one here.

Yeah, I can get it all working except for this issue: My models come in without face smoothing! This doesnt happen if I'm importing one of the demo meshes, but I've created various complex and simple meshes in zbrush, c4d and blender and they're all imported without smoothing at all. Importing a mesh into any of the above programs and reexporting the OBJ also breaks the smoothing.

Otherwise it works great, but yeah, this is rather odd.

Sorry to bring this up again, but is no one else getting unsmoothed models but me?
  • Doc HolliChe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meant to post this a couple nights ago but got distracted. I ran into a couple issues while updating one of my old assets. Even with the issues, though, it's been fun working with your new suite, so thanks a lot for all the hard work you guys have put into this. I'm looking forward to the UE4 workflow.

I'm running PS CS 5 64-bit.

First issue I ran into is the shift+click in 3DO selecting a completely different material ID than I tried to select. I noticed a few people mention they've had issues with it as well, and you guys mentioned it in your response to many people's issues. Just thought I'd mention it anyway.

I also encountered an issue where the whole suite closes out. Thought it was random at first, but I was able to recreate it. It happens any time 3DO is the active window and I try to open the drop-down menu to link to a material ID on the DDO window. If I click anywhere else and make DDO the active window first, and then open the drop-down, it's fine. But again, if 3DO is the active window and I click the drop-down box, the whole suite closes.

The last issue was the most frustrating. At some point, a sand material (I think it might be the beach one, by the looks of it) got applied to my entire mesh. At first I thought one of my materials might've gone rogue or something. After a half hour of searching through each one, I decided to just turn them all off, and 3DO updated accordingly each time I turned one off. Eventually I ended up with completely blank maps, and a mesh completely devoid of materials except that it still looked like it was made of sand. I tried reloading the mesh, loading different meshes(which either showed nothing in 3DO or crashed it), and every time I load the project it still has the material applied with no way to remove it.

Here's a screenshot to show what I mean...and a screenshot of what it looked like before the sand storm hit.
    8fIInik6
    cVF2OXQh
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Shift right clicking on layer visibilty button in NDO causes whole Suite to close down.
  • CosmosXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do I have to proceed to work with the Quixel Suite and Cinema 4D?

In my first try I rendered out the color ID map and the AO map.
    But when I imported those 2 maps + the mesh, 3DO didn't show anything.
    (My mesh works properly in Maya and Cinema 4D)

So... where's my mistake? Normal maps are optional so it should work without them, shouldn't it? Thanks in advance!
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
    repete wrote: »
    Sorry for the long delay, was on the piss last night :poly142:

What version of .NET Framework are you using ?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh925568%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

and can you do this also:

goto run then type "cmd". once in the cmd prompt type "sfc /scannow"

see if you get any errors. I still think it's a .NET Framework issue you are having which is causing issues with Quixel

The "sfc /scannow" didn't bring any errors I updated to NET version 4 and it's still crashing. :(
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys,

Just wanted to update you guys that we are working on some updates and are reading each and everyone's issues on every thread. We promise that we are not ignoring your problems or reports and requests. They do mean a ton to us and we want to fix and add them for you guys. Keep them coming and thanks!

@Cosmoxx Make sure the id map is a png with no transparency as well as the mesh needs to be triangulated and make sure it is zeroed and your pivot points are centered.
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Can some one show me plz where button for exporting maps?
  • Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
    Hello everyone,

Man, this new Quixel Suite is awesome, its so much more fluid that the older DDO and NDO. Thanks for all the hard work you've put into it!

I've seem to have come across the same issue I've had with the 3D previewer (3DO this time around) as I had with the older DDO's.
    It seems that if I don't triangulate my mesh then 3DO attempts to do it for me. The result of this is that I have missing triangles.

pkDNmx9.jpg

Do I have to triangulate the mesh before importing into DDO or are there any other ways to work around this? Thank you!

EDIT: If I triangulate, the problem is solved.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Out of curiosity why wouldn't you want to stop off at triangulation station? If you're using a model with a TS normal map your low should be triangulated before baking anyway.

Some DDO Bugs:

If you apply a dynamask preset to a material that uses a texture for the mask, the icon for the texture slot will show the material's texture rather than the material used by the mask preset.

There seems to be no way to access the UV overlay you can add when starting a new project — but I may be missing something

3do:

Sometimes minimising 3do seems to close the Quixel Suite and dDo windows. To restore I have to run the Quixel suite again (Which closes 3do...)

Some way to set default/persistent export location of screenshots would be nice.
  • Thaurdol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thaurdol polycounter lvl 7
    For me when I open up 3do in any way it results in an immidiate computer lockdown crash where I cant even move my mouse anymore. I wish I could offer more information such as an error what would cause it but I dont know how to get any logs.

Ndo2 and dDo seem to work fine though. But the lack of a previewer is really frustrating
  • Elod.H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
    Thaurdol wrote: »
    For me when I open up 3do in any way it results in an immidiate computer lockdown crash where I cant even move my mouse anymore. I wish I could offer more information such as an error what would cause it but I dont know how to get any logs.

Ndo2 and dDo seem to work fine though. But the lack of a previewer is really frustrating

Try installing the latest graphics card driver. Your computer's specs could be relevant as well.
  • Thaurdol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is indeed an update on my gpu. Will try that. I've also tried reinstalling 3x and same issue remains. I highly doubt its my laptops specs that would be the issue here seeing as my workstation is half a year old.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 32768MB RAM
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M
  • Thaurdol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed my 3do crash by forcing my laptop to run Quixel on the Nvidia gpu. Seems like Nvidia optimus strikes again and set the quixel suite programs to run on the integrated gpu...
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reeke when running actions in DDO especially @ 4k texture res there will be some slow downs as you are editing and transferring details to multiple 4k maps at once which are also checking the model and other maps and calculating adjustments. If this continues to be an issue for you, you can open up the project using a lower work resolution and then export the higher res later.
  • DarkEdge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkEdge polycounter lvl 10
    Probably a very stupid question but how do I re-open a dDo project. I saved the layers (albedo, spec, normal, etc) isn't a simple psd file that will re-open the whole 9 yards??

Thanks
  • DarkEdge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey how do we open a previous dDo project? I see a folder named previewer and then the separate psd and xml file.
  • DarkEdge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey how do we open a previous dDo project? I see a folder named previewer and then the separate psd and xml files.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    One more suggestion, but I'm unsure how others would feel about such a change:

Should dDo create the working document according to the lowest common denominator? I started a project where most of my maps were 2k, but I failed to notice my AO was 4k. This caused the whole project to be 4k and made some innaccuracies in my colour map. So, should dDo always start the project at the lowest input map size?

edit: Also wanted to point out that the ability to re-import your (updated) colour map without losing any of your project is badass :thumbup:
  • DeltaEcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeltaEcho polycounter lvl 7
    So far, Quixel SUITE is pretty... sw... sweee... I can't bring myself to do it. It's awesome software.

I was, however, curious about something. If I intend to use NDO to add details to my tangent space normal map, does that mean I shouldn't bother baking an object space normal map in DDO for sweet, sweet, directional effects? Orrrr would inputting the object space normal map into DDO without the NDO-added tangent space details simply mean that the directional effects would not be effective on the added details?

I also imagine having discrepancies between the two normal maps could potentially cause issues like maybe make my computer explode or cause a tear in space-time or something, which is why I'm writing this before I attempt an experiment.

But yeah. Any ideas? Has anyone tried this?

EDIT: Nevermind! Xnormal converts tangent space to object space.
  • DarkEdge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have two questions:
    1- How do I open an old project? I see a previewer folder and then the psd and xml files.
    2- When I press SaveImages it is saving a psd file instead of a flattened image, then I have to go in and open ao and albedo, multiply ao and then save. Shouldn't there be a way to save an image (albedo or otherwise) already flattened for you?
  • Seto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seto polycounter lvl 2
    win 8.1 doesn't create desktop icon.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    1) You open the xml
    2) The exporter is still being work on apparently — Also, if you're making a PBR asset (perhaps even if you're not) you shouldn't be overlaying AO over your albedo.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    DarkEdge wrote: »
    I have two questions:
    1- How do I open an old project? I see a previewer folder and then the psd and xml files.
    2- When I press SaveImages it is saving a psd file instead of a flattened image, then I have to go in and open ao and albedo, multiply ao and then save. Shouldn't there be a way to save an image (albedo or otherwise) already flattened for you?

Click the main menu in ddo, than load project should be the first item. This will ask for the projects xml file
  • DarkEdge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great, thanks much!
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Any chance we could get a hold of some more Megascans? Preferably some foliage ones?
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    i'm having a strange issue. I made some of my own smart materials on my computer at home, i brought those presets into work and ran them and they don't work the same, even with the same assets. I'm getting completely different results with the same input textures on 2 different computers. here is an image of the preset and the result after running it. on my home computer it works flawlessly, my work computer it doesn't. The only difference is that my computer at home is running photoshop CC and at work i'm on Photoshop CS6. the only other thing i can think of is a difference in photoshop color settings between computers. any ideas?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    So more on the issus ZippZopp is having (since we work together)

here is a shot of our color settings vs default north american settings.

Will this create issues?
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it is a color settings issue for sure, I did set my color settings back to North American General Purpose and the presets work as expected. I'm not sure mathematically what happens under the hood, but obviously it has something to do with the difference between Gray Gamma 2.2 and Dot Gain 20%
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    If i make my own material preset, and i want to share it, is there an easy way to do that? I imagine just giving the xml file wont be enough because i would also need to take the associated patterns with it, correct?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Oniram wrote: »
    If i make my own material preset, and i want to share it, is there an easy way to do that? I imagine just giving the xml file wont be enough because i would also need to take the associated patterns with it, correct?

if they are custom patterns/materials that you have made and brought in then those also need to be shared.

if the preset consists of default patterns than no as those are included in the installer.

I am about 98% sure on this.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    from what I've experimented with i've found that smart materials made from patterns that come with DDO can be shared by simply sharing the XML file and the associated thumbnails.

materials made from custom source imagery can be shared by sharing not only the XML file, but the pattern files that DDO generates. they are stored in the scripts/patterns folder
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Remove ALL .NET Runtime software (and reboot)

Install latest .NET Runtime software (and reboot)

Reinstall Photoshop and keep it on its default settings.

Run photoshop once as administrator after you reinstall it.

Install Quixel and make sure it uses this location: C:/Users/Public/

(reboot your system)

Run photoshop as admin again and post your event log if this does not solve the issue.
    The "sfc /scannow" didn't bring any errors I updated to NET version 4 and it's still crashing. :(
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18

hooblegooblin: Thanks! Finally been able to track this one down, killing it once and for all.

So I've been reading through this thread and it seems hooblegooblin had the same error as I, getting the command "set" error in photoshop, it sounds like I just need to wait for the next update to solve this error?

I also noticed, after getting the command set error, the script finishes and creates my base textures, however, my material window is empty of layers, masks, information of any kind. I am unable to edit materials, masks, and so on. Are these related, or have I stumbled upon something new?

I'm using PS cs5

To clarify: I can import mesh, ids, maps, and even assign materials to ids. When I hit generate base photoshop will give me an error Command "set" not available. PSDs are generated with information, however, my DDO material window is emoty.

Thank you!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Pat- have you tried this yet? It was something that would happen with the previous version of ddo, so not sure if it's a similar issue.
    http://www.quixel.se/forum/showthread.php?4561-Ddo-crashing-on-bake-Cs3

Just instead of deleting it move it somewhere safe and see if that fixes the problem.

I haven't had this problem show up under the new suite, so may be unrelated.
  • Kami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Help, whenever I click create base WITH a color map I get this

http://puu.sh/9yfN1/3f08d3771a.png

http://puu.sh/9yfQC/b591097f9f.png

and then quixel freezes at "Preparing masks... 40%"

ddo x64 worked fine for me, it's just the suite that doesn't work.
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    I also have the "set" error in cs 5 any eta on a update?

thanks
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another quick question for anyone to answer. when i load a color ID map (which is a .tga), ddo makes a .png of it. why is this? if i want to reload that id map should i delete the png and reimport the new .tga, or just reimport a new (edited) .png
  • Seto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seto polycounter lvl 2
    The SUITE keep asking for the Photoshop location every time it starts, although it starts the Photoshop and works correctly.
  • jan19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting the *set* error in PSE 5, at times. Not always.

I love this Suite DDO though. Please don't take it away.

Just kidding, I bought a license.

Could we get more fabric presets? I'm just a hobbyist, but I love to make clothing items.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Has anybody tried this with the new version of Photoshop CC 2014. I know in the past that updates to PS have broken ndo/ddo and don't want to update if they aren't compatible.
  • DarkEdge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When working with the different masks and sliders, is there a button that will reset the sliders to their original values?
  • jan19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First DDO project. Moth-eaten steampunk hat. I love Suite DDO!

Now that I got it running like a freshly tuned car. No crashes today, no matter what I did.
  • axxic3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge wrote: »
    So I've been reading through this thread and it seems hooblegooblin had the same error as I, getting the command "set" error in photoshop, it sounds like I just need to wait for the next update to solve this error?

I also noticed, after getting the command set error, the script finishes and creates my base textures, however, my material window is empty of layers, masks, information of any kind. I am unable to edit materials, masks, and so on. Are these related, or have I stumbled upon something new?

I'm using PS cs5

To clarify: I can import mesh, ids, maps, and even assign materials to ids. When I hit generate base photoshop will give me an error Command "set" not available. PSDs are generated with information, however, my DDO material window is emoty.

Thank you!

Hey Vorge, I was getting the same error in cs5. It happened when I used files from the same area I had another dDo project in, where dDo creates its own copy of files it uses, in my case changing tga's to a png or psd. After I deleted the project folder it worked just fine. So either move that folder somewhere else or delete it is my fix.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    anyone haveing problems with presets, i always just assumed this feature worked, but i treid to batch a few assets using presets yesterday, and only a few of my layers crossed over in the presets.
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin_H polycounter lvl 6
    I think DDO deleted all my Photoshop patterns. Users might want to back those up and devs might want to look into that. In my case they all were replaced with cryptically named patterns that I didn't create myself and I'm sure those can have only been created by DDO.

Looking forward to see the Quixel Suite growing, keep it up!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Fixed my issue. The answer was two-fold for me. The first was it won't run correctly from the users\public\ folder. I copied the Quixel folder to my B: drive. Once moved it allowed me to change security permissions for authenticated users to allow everything. between those two fixes, it now works like a champ.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    There is a clear warning about this issue on the site:
    IMPORTANT NOTE WHEN USING THE BETA VERSION OF DDO

If you have custom patterns stored inside your Photoshop work space, it is highly advised you save out a backup copy of these. DDO relies on Photoshop's pattern system to generate materials and will currently erase any patterns that are currently loaded inside Photoshop. This will be addressed in a future release but remains an issue until then.
    I think DDO deleted all my Photoshop patterns. Users might want to back those up and devs might want to look into that. In my case they all were replaced with cryptically named patterns that I didn't create myself and I'm sure those can have only been created by DDO.

Looking forward to see the Quixel Suite growing, keep it up!
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is there a way to rotate patterns?

i have some materials that i've made from source textures from places like cgtextures. some of these images have embedded directional detail in them like rust drips. is there a way to rotate the pattern after it gets applied so I can align that directional detail properly on UVs that aren't straight up and down? i often will have rotated UV shells, it would be cool to be able to align the material properly to the UV orientation
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Hi guys what is the most efficient series of button presses to export all maps?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so ive been running into a bug all day where my textures dont show up on my mesh. this happened after doing a mesh reimport, and from then on all maps shown on the mesh were white, and any attempt to repath the textures via the 3do custom loader did not work. i tried reimporting my mesh and that sometimes resulted in 3do crashing. has anyone else gotten this?
This discussion has been closed.