Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Snacuum

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
This'll be my sketchbook for all my random game-related arts whether it be 3d, 2d, or Designs. As a reminder to myself and general detail - At the time of starting this I am studying a Degree in Communication Design in Australia, while working on various small projects to see where my games/art passion lies. Lets see where this goes.

Critiques are heartily encouraged! I need to learn, and always will!

Replies

• Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I'm currently working on:

Amcry

A large ameoba-like creature that uses large crystal formations as it's outer body. This is a design from my childhood game designs and is one of the concepts that has stuck with me. It is meant to be a form of in-game enemy or Boss monster.

concept.jpg

Since I've been having a bit of trouble staying motivated, my housemate recommended that build something I like and slap it in a mod/engine to watch it bump around as part of a game rather than a model that could just be a part of anything.

I've started modelling with the assuring knowledge that a crystalline creature may not require organic animation or structure, although I can feel myself being unbearably slow, I can still approach this model in a more quick and dirty way.

snacuum_amcry_09_06_12.jpg

My next step and main concerns is the general edgeflow, and the creation of the sporadic crystal formations on its back and joints. I am left wondering if there is a nice randomised way I can extrude those areas so they look a bit like jagged crystals, rather than painstakingly shaping each individual pylon.

Capture2.png
    a%3E
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So now the model is complete and took way too long, remember this was meant to be a 'quick' or 'practise piece' and I've certainly missed all forms of deadlines. So what have I learned?

Amcry_model_flat.jpg

Amcry_model_flat_side.jpg

While I wasn't specifically aiming to make anything too great, I quickly discovered my errors in planning. As can probably be seen, my only real framework was my concept. Like and idiot I didn't consider where and how this model would work and what kind of constraints or level of detail would be appropriate.

This model was never planned to have normal maps, but I can already tell that I could have built a better model and learned even more by creating a high-res mesh.

Lastly to my ultimate embarrassment, I retained the outdated modelling process of desiring a single mesh for the main body, resulting in the over-complicated mess of the smaller crystal formations along its back and mane. Not only did this completely change mesh optimisation but also explains a lot of the extra time for both the model and UVs.

I should have totally built several crystal formation archetypes and arranged them in place rather than building them in.

Amcry_model_checker.jpg

As can be seen the UVs are a right mess, but functional.
    Now the major concern is what to do next, as the "no plans" issue bites me in the arse again as I have no idea how to create the texture for this creature. It is comprised of crystals and thus I may start with a repeating material, but that will not do on its own.

Really this was meant to be a quick thing so I could make something of my own and smash it into an engine/mod so I could drive it around to get that giddy feeling of joy from actually building something that can inhabit game-space rather than stewing in a mire of artistic self-depreciation. Lets see if I can do that.
  • allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    its a little late for this but really e form seems quite chaotic and not actually focused, i understand its made of crystals but they seem kinda random. Also alot of those crystals could overlap on the uvs.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its a little late for this but really e form seems quite chaotic and not actually focused, i understand its made of crystals but they seem kinda random. Also alot of those crystals could overlap on the uvs.

A lot of them do overlap actually, but I didn't on a great deal of them due to a lack of planning my maps and the fact that they had a lot of abstract shapes causing distortion as well as a desire to have some unique looks.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently going through a few "how to draw" types of books; the kind that focus on the perceptions of the artist rather than the mechanical skill of drawing.

A lot of these head sketches are exercises from those books and I feel like in some way I am improving. I also did a life-drawing class last year.

sketch_myface.jpg
    sketch_lelprofile.jpg
    sketch_dadprofile-1.jpg
    sketch_masterprofile_1.jpg
    sketch_masterprofile_2.jpg
    sketch_tronocoloid_beast.jpg
    sketch_xerro.jpg
    sketch_firefritz.jpg
    sketch___eric_tonnel_by_snacuum-d7rwk3h.jpg
    sketch_dragonlady-1.jpg

I used to draw a lot as a kid and I was feeling that I want to rekindle that passion. So really my focus has been on traditional sketching and drawing. The more fantasy pictures here we're not drawn with reference so there are obvious mistakes of anatomy in these. Perspective and foreshortening are still my enemies.

I've also been writing a lot more. I know this is an artist forum but I truthfully still have no idea what I want to do so I experiment and play around with a bit of writing and art (mostly drawing right now) and design.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok well for those looking at this thread anew, yeah I've piked out on that crystal creature up top. I might redo it at some point, of course facilitating some of the feedback I was given for it.

Stuff that happened:

I got my Degree in Communication Design (I may as well say Graphics Design, since I'm so sick of the confused expressions I'm getting).

Most of what I did would fit better with graphics design print/web communities so there's no better place here for this stuff. I'm proud of it even if it's amateur - gotta get better and be happy with it as I do.

Some highlights:

the_logo_by_snacuum-d8d2g86.png

Look to the left, and yes it's my logo. This is my latest creation using my latest skills in Illustrator. Full vector; it's good for both screen and print and you should expect to see it on my websites, business cards and hopefully t-shirts.

lolytron_photo_by_snacuum-d8ftqik.jpg

LOLYTRON

For Design for Production class. I had to design 3 package variations of a fictional candy brand using only 2 inks a pack. As can be seen I found designing the cute robot characters as a cross-promotional brand to be the fun bit.
    Check out printable .pdf files here:
    http://snacuum.deviantart.com/art/LOLYTRON-Lime-Flavour-472860504
    http://snacuum.deviantart.com/art/LOLYTRON-Cola-Flavour-472875332
    http://snacuum.deviantart.com/art/LOLYTRON-Strawberry-Flavour-472876650

fade_to_black_img_by_snacuum-d8ftq5u.jpg

Fade to Black

Also for Design for Production class. Museum info pack about Black Holes. It's got magnets inside to do gravity tricks to teach about how black holes work. FUN RIGHT?
    Make your own with a .pdf:
    http://snacuum.deviantart.com/art/Info-Pack-Fade-to-Black-472896073

d_rabone9520538_cover_spine_project2_page_1_by_snacuum-d8ftpu3.jpg

HITBOX Magazine

For my Publication Design class. This is a video games review magazine I put together because I wanted to. It's reminiscent of the old home-made fanzines that used to be around before big publisher and online games journalism. I designed, edited and wrote most of it.

Pdf: http://snacuum.deviantart.com/art/Book-HitBox-Magazine-472772600

DISCLAIMER: This magazine, Lolytron, and Fade to Black Pack contains imagery/fonts both of my own creation and other authors, since the focus of these student projects was on design and layout. Copyrights remain those of the original authors and citations were made where possible.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh look it's more sketches

Here's some I did for Imgaging of Narrative & Storyboard class.

sketch___my_left_hand_by_snacuum-d7tjilc.jpg
    storyboard___little_red_riding_hood_p04_by_snacuum-d7tjkoz.jpg
    storyboard___little_red_riding_hood_p06_by_snacuum-d7tjl9r.jpg
    storyboard___little_red_riding_hood_p07_by_snacuum-d7tjlk8.jpg
    storyboard___little_red_riding_hood_p13_by_snacuum-d7tjmv7.jpg
    storyboard___little_red_riding_hood_p10_by_snacuum-d7tjmbi.jpg
    storyboard___little_red_riding_hood_p15_by_snacuum-d7tjnd7.jpg
    sketch___hideo_kojima_by_snacuum-d7tji84.jpg
    sketch___self_portrait_by_snacuum-d7tjqxc.jpg

Last one's me. Better than the one posted previously eh?
    Here's some more random ones.

sketch___cyrus_by_snacuum-d7rwkko.jpg
    sketch___nizbel_by_snacuum-d7rwl32.jpg
    sketch___gf_otter_by_snacuum-d7rwmd2.jpg
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still just sketchin'
    sketch_matt_damon.jpg
    sketch_eric_4.jpg
    sketch_armello_fanart.jpg