Home General Discussion

Dreaming vs Doing

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
probably one of the most motivational things you'll ever see.

xWzjHUQ.jpg

Replies

• heyeye
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    And you will get chubby. So get a gym membership people.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Careful guys, gyms are fucking addicting. They're like crack for vain people. I look and feel great, yet.... I.... MUST... GO.... EVERY... OTHER... DAY!

addicted.

Don't even get me started on spin classes.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    aesir wrote: »
    Careful guys, gyms are fucking addicting. They're like crack for vain people. I look and feel great, yet.... I.... MUST... GO.... EVERY... OTHER... DAY!

addicted.

Don't even get me started on spin classes.

I don't think I'll ever understand people who actually enjoy going to the gym. You pay a fee to go to a place where you get hot and sweaty and tired and out of breath and your muscles hurt, and you enjoy it?

Absolutely insane.

I still go because I don't want to die, but I don't understand how people can enjoy it.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Dreaming and Doing are two parts of the same whole.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Joopson wrote: »
    Dreaming and Doing are two parts of the same whole.

yeah..was going to say these things are not mutually exclusive....
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    low odor wrote: »
    yeah..was going to say these things are not mutually exclusive....

Not necessarily.

What if there was evidence that the more time someone spent "dreaming" the less likely they were to do anything about it?
    (not that such a study exists)
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all be a little bit fatter...

With out the dream you have nothing to do. Without the do, you have nothing but dreams

I should start selling this shit on posters

I'm sure we could try to quantify that in terms of how much of each..but it wouldn't fit into an easy metaphor and most people would lose interest
  • Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well it's kind of obvious if you don't do anything then you will not be successful.
    I don't think its big or clever to make a cartoon about it:/
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    They are not mutually exclusive. Having a "dream" or a long term goal is important. It keeps you focused, obviously it will take work. I think the real issue isn't dreamers but rather procrastination. Most people had a "dream" or a goal before setting out to do anything hard or time consuming. Rarely do we simply fall into a particular habit without prior strong motivation in doing so.

Swizzle: It really depends on a few variables. When working out the body is flooded with endorphins. I am sure you know this already though. For me personally, having a really good work out makes it easy for me to relax.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all be a little bit fatter...

With out the dream you have nothing to do. Without the do, you have nothing but dreams

I'm sure we could try to quantify that in terms of how much of each..but it wouldn't fit into an easy metaphor and most people would lose interest
    I'd have to +1 that. If you don't dream for anything, then why bother doing anything? Chances are you'll already be content with your current position.

Dreaming can be harmful though, it's easy to keep dreaming about how amazing things will be for you, then tire yourself out and you'll also end up doing nothing.

Also, the girl's dog crapped on the floor and there wasn't even a pane showing up the cleaning process. Does this mean she just left it there? That's a scumbag thing to do.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I dont dream about being the best artist I can be I work at it...I dream of retiring and making bronzes in a little cottage out of the way somewhere one day, but I'm not taking steps to make that happen.....thats the difference for me.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I feel like daydreaming would be a better specific word, but I guess that undermines the effectiveness of her assertion, the lack of force the word "dream" can sometimes have.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    probably what almighty_gir means is
    so many empty motivational articles, that teaches nothing about how to actually start something, or even better teach to do something technically.

it is scary when I often see in my FB newsfeed , ppl keep posting about billionaire motivation, but mostly talking about daily habits, zero technical guidelines.
    pretty much like keep looking at successful individual life habit, without starting our own.

probably most of people here are artist, and know how to do their stuffs. but once you got famous to non artist, probably someone outside your circle want to interview you .
    and this starting to turn into problem for some people,
    some guys dont want to listen to your boring , normal map tutorials, they prefer to hear your personal life story,
    the more they can relate themselves to you , the more happy they are,
    then you starting to tell your carrer story, how you climb up the ladder . and achieve one magic thing : successful

from that point they will draw a simple guideline .. how to be successful ...

as an addition :
    from this kind of psychology most how to be successful Motivational Speaker got their audience

yeah for me dreaming is important,
    but living and breathing on my passion is much better. regardless it gives me ups or down in life.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Watching the old behind the scenes DVD of Bethesda working as a team on Oblivion was probably one of the most motivational things I saw ^^

That and HL2: Raising the Bar
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I get the idea behind what Gir posted. But dream is also important to have.

One of my cousins is studying Computer Sci. Like, she just started. Why did she pick it ? She doesn't know. She's just good at academic things. You know, maths, chemistry, physics, etc. She doesn't really use computer that much. At all. She has little interest about computer or computer related stuff. She just wants to get the degree then start 'working'. Whatever kind of working she thinks it would be. She has no clue. She had to write essays about why she wanted to go that university and studied that major, and she had no clue whatsoever. No dreams. No interest. If she studies hard, I know she can do it, but she has no dream. It's so weird.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think a lot of people are missing the idea behind this:

dreaming and doing ARE mutually exclusive to the extent that the more you do of one, the less you do of the other. and all this image illustrates is that it's important to have a dream (of course it is). but it's more important to actually do something about that dream, than to keep on dreaming.

also, on the subject of dreams:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo3Qv5JgJ2k"]Jim Jeffries - Dreams Joke FUNNY! - YouTube[/ame]
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    I dream of being a cat sometimes but there's nothing I can do about it.
  • AdvisableRobin
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I don't think I'll ever understand people who actually enjoy going to the gym. You pay a fee to go to a place where you get hot and sweaty and tired and out of breath and your muscles hurt, and you enjoy it?

Absolutely insane.

I still go because I don't want to die, but I don't understand how people can enjoy it.

Try rocking climbing.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Dream when you're asleep, 'Do' when you wake up.
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    It would have been more accurate if her Back Stab script got rejected and she had to go back to the drawing board and try again. Success is difficult to obtain and for the majority of us takes "persistence in doing". But in the end, when success finally does come, the persistence just makes it that much sweeter!
  • mats effect
    So in short go live/do the dream and not dream it.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Francois_K wrote: »
    I dream of being a cat sometimes but there's nothing I can do about it.
    I too have done this. If I was a cat I wouldn't have to deal with these petty human problems, I could just meow my way into somebody's home and get the petting of my life!
  • EricHall
    Offline / Send Message
    EricHall polycounter lvl 6
    Live the dream.....give up sleeping
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I dream and work at the same time. I also eat sometimes too.
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    i think a lot of people are missing the idea behind this:

dreaming and doing ARE mutually exclusive to the extent that the more you do of one, the less you do of the other. and all this image illustrates is that it's important to have a dream (of course it is). but it's more important to actually do something about that dream, than to keep on dreaming.

Using the word "dream" has a varied meaning depending on who you ask and the definition you choose to use. I say that it is not mutually exclusive (given a specific definition) and here is why. I equate having a dream to having a goal. Now the question is, can you have a goal and work towards it at the same time. I say yes.

Granted, I do see what you mean in regards to your definition and expectations of someone who is dreaming. That is not the way I've done it since it is not a productive state of mind to be in.

I do feel like a lot of us (including myself) are probably being overly critical of the illustration. I get the message, it's nice.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    You can have a goal and work toward that goal, sure. But the more time you spend THINKING about that goal, the less time you have to DO that goal.
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    I just had a chance to watch the video you linked Gir. I completely agree. It reminds me of a similar video I saw from a speech by Allan Watts.

One quote that sticks out is:

"Making plans for the future is of use only to people who are capable of living completely in the present"

link to the video below for those who are interested:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXvoYGrnuv8&index=4&list=PL9SSTRkIW0abskrMnxrUj8g2JM7XVxrS4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXvoYGrnuv8&index=4&list=PL9SSTRkIW0abskrMnxrUj8g2JM7XVxrS4[/ame]
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    This is actually a nice recap of an even broader life lesson.

Stop paying attention to what people say, and only pay attention to what they do.

Almost all of my relations I have with everyone has changed significantly for the better, simply by following that rule.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Lol during these past months, I've been dreaming instead of actually working...:(

My stuff hasnt improved one bit.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Without the do, you have nothing but dreams

irony rising
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Like dreaming, a similar trap you can get stuck in is perpetual education - always the learning student, never putting what you're learning to practice and building a body of work.

This. Or reading and watching lots of tutorial but never applying them.
  • ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    The true reality of a "doer"

eABi4WS.jpg

Quite a sad life lol
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe yeah, there's nothing actually sad about the "and then you die" bit. It's kinda funny to think that whoever made that edit probably intended it as a snarky clever spin, while it is just the way things are.
  • Dylan Brady
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hahahaha oh well :D
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    ceebee wrote: »
    The true reality of a "doer"

eABi4WS.jpg

Quite a sad life lol

Good cache.

It is best to have "comrades" that you work together to make "your" dreams come true I guess ?
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    NegevPro wrote: »
    I too have done this. If I was a cat I wouldn't have to deal with these petty human problems, I could just meow my way into somebody's home and get the petting of my life!

I wrote an essay on that subject in junior high that I'd completely forgotten until I read this. I went on for a bit longer about how awesome it was that cats didn't have responsibilities, but this otherwise sums it up. Then I had a note from my teacher asking if I was okay and a referral to the counselor's office. I guess they thought I was a bit overstressed.
  • barnesy
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    If you 100% want to do something then you will do it and stick at it through the hard times.

If you need to be talked into it then you might as well not even try, as people with that attitude will crumble when the going gets tough.

That's what it's been like for me anyway.

You get the people who say I WANT to be an Environment Artist, I want to be a Lead etc etc, yet they haven't done a single piece of personal work since uni. They are the kind of people that prestige each CoD like 5 times a year lol

I found that a lot of people seemed to think that playing games counted as working towards their dreams, whilst in reality it's the people that are working on their portfolios who are going to be the ones making the games and living the dreamers dreams.

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." (Will Rogers)
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    barnesy wrote: »

I found that a lot of people seemed to think that playing games was still working towards their dreams, whilst in reality it's the people that are working on their portfolios are going to be the ones making the games and living the dreamers dreams.

Yeah, or the attitude of some people that you can't possibly be a good artist in games if you don't play a lot of games yourself.

Its like.... ok, you continue clocking 8 hours a day on Dota and I'll be working, lets meet back here in 6 months :D
  • VFX_Veteran
    That is so awesome! I am going to send my daughter this cartoon.

Thanks a bunch!
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Like dreaming, a similar trap you can get stuck in is perpetual education - always the learning student, never putting what you're learning to practice and building a body of work.

This is so me.
  • barnesy
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    This is a fantastic video that I found and I feel that it's quite similar to the struggles and barriers that 3d artists face when trying to break into the industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJPRj19OU-w

Arnold is a doer, he put in extra work outside of the core training/work hours. This is what the doers of the games industry need to do to succeed :)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    You can have a goal and work toward that goal, sure. But the more time you spend THINKING about that goal, the less time you have to DO that goal.

I guess it depends on how you think and if the thinking process is part of the doing. Dreaming obviously doesn't bring you much further but thinking time is never wasted if you think stuff towards a goal ;)
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    lol, ceebee's and Dylan's versions are priceless :D

It's not too far from the way things turned out for me.
    I can't even recall any event from between 2009 and 2013 because all I did at that time was obsessively working my ass off towards the glorious dream.
    It certainly was the right thing to do but I can't help but wonder if turning into a recluse was really the only choice.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Dustin - very insightful, thanks a lot for posting that. I am definitely guilty of going overkill on tutorials, if you're watching a lot and not putting any of it into practice it kinda defeats the point, it's really important to use time wisely!
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    After years of those motivation threads I realised what the same people were saying again and again in too many words. In too many threads.

Force yourself to work hard. Force yourself to make good art. Force yourself to practice.

FUCK motivation. It's fleeting and it's fickle. It comes and goes.

Discipline is reliable. Every good artist became good through discipline.

You don't need motivation. You can work through lack of motivation with discipline.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    After years of those motivation threads I realised what the same people were saying again and again in too many words. In too many threads.

Force yourself to work hard. Force yourself to make good art. Force yourself to practice.

FUCK motivation. It's fleeting and it's fickle. It comes and goes.

Discipline is reliable. Every good artist became good through discipline.

You don't need motivation. You can work through lack of motivation with discipline.

^this, after a while it becomes such an automation to work on your art instead of doing other stuff that you cant even imagine doing something else for too long.
  • tadpole3159
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    lol, ceebee's and Dylan's versions are priceless :D

It's not too far from the way things turned out for me.
    I can't even recall any event from between 2009 and 2013 because all I did at that time was obsessively working my ass off towards the glorious dream.
    It certainly was the right thing to do but I can't help but wonder if turning into a recluse was really the only choice.
    Same, I've become one of those boring sods that can only talk about work. All I've gotten out of all this fucking work is more fucking work!
    I was just meant to post a joke about that comic in the first post...now I'm sad.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    A great big post full of sense

couldn't agree more.