Home General Discussion

Wordpress Users!

ambershee
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ambershee polycounter lvl 17
Hello! I'm amazed there isn't a thread for this already. I know a lot of people use Wordpress, so I'd like to know what kind of themes and plugins people are running, and why :)?

Replies

• Shadownami92
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    People use wordpress for portfolio sites? I always felt it was a little heavy, and was much easier just to build a site the classic HTML and CSS way.

Though for web design clients that want wordpress I tend to just use the Headway Theme/Visual Editor or make my own theme using the same html and css means that I would for any other site.

For my personal site I've enjoyed using weebly a lot more though, I can customize the overall look using the code editor it has and can see my updates happen in the preview window, it has a quick mobile view demo and the content area is a really simple drag and drop editor.
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Im using wordpress, but its really basic setup at the moment that comes with restrictions I am not happy with due to a theme.

Main issue I have is that page width is too narrow so I will have to research how to either extend it or just use another theme suitable for portfolio. In the end of the day u get really flexible page editor, that allows you to make whatever you need. Apposed to writing unique HTML and CSS code for each different page.
  • alicia32
    Try to get some WordPress tutorials by which you can get help and cover your mistake which you make during coding. WordPress is an easy CMS and everyone can easily understand.

online tutorial | study abroad program | distance learning courses
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Dado - I'm using my own webserver, not a free hosted solution. Wordpress's main site seems to be fine for me though. I visited a few Polycounters portfolios to see what they were using themselves :)
    People use wordpress for portfolio sites? I always felt it was a little heavy, and was much easier just to build a site the classic HTML and CSS way.

Loads of people here on Polycount use it for portfolio. I'm mostly using it for blogging, with a bit of 'portfolio' on the side. I probably could have knocked something up myself, but I didn't see the point of bothering when there's a reasonably-well engineered wheel sat in front of me already that can be installed in less than 5 minutes ;)

Might look into Weebly, Wordpress seems well extended though, so we'll see how I get on.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I use wordpress, and made my own theme, because I didn't want a lot of the extra fluff that came with the default ones. I have a lightbox plugin, a plugin for modifying post order by dragging and dropping, and a stats plugin called slimstat.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i moved away from wordpress when i found out about how insecure and hackable it is. about 6 months ago i got a PM from someone here saying they clicked my folio link and got redirected to somewhere totally random. turned out someone had injected my ftp with something through wordpress.

ever since then i've just used a basic html page.

also, "flashy" "hot" and "modern" aren't the same as "professional". you can have a very professional portfolio without any of the bells and whistles that these website builders offer.
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I am also using WordPress for my portfolio and I love how easy it is to update. I am sure it would be very easy to make similar site with just HTML if you know how, but I don't so that is why I am using WordPress.

I started with twenty eleven theme and made a child theme that I modified a bit- changed the width, and stripped down all the extra things I did not need.

There are also tons of great plugins that you can use for free- I use a contact form called contact7 and a plugin that backs up everything to my dropbox called WordPress backup to Dropbox

I still have to couple of things to fix but overall I love it :)

almighty_gir - same thing happened to me and I had to go and make some files only readable and writable by the admin only- I don't remember the names now but I agree it must be a common thing. After I changed that I have not had any problems with it.

Dado- your blog works fine for me.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Aren't there multiple versions of wordpress?

I just use one with the nishita theme. Very easy to set it up like a gallery.
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah there is WordPress.com - what you have and then there is WordPress.org. What you have does not support the option for custom domain and with .org you can actually customize everything. Yours looks awesome btw :)
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    using wordpress with a theme i bought trough themeforest, works well but for some reason some colors and layouts have changed in some update, so my gallery looks weird at the moment
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I run a heavily modified version of this theme: http://fthrwght.com/autofocus/plusdemo/

Unfortunately I hacked it to bits so I can't really upgrade anymore ;-)
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    I am wordpress user found an ok theme too but I am not fond of it 100% it is ok though.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I started with some theme, not sure what and then just modified pretty much everything.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I use Wordpress too, for my blog with a fully custom theme. I use it since more than 3 years now. I never had any security problem however, just some shitty updates of Wordpress that sometimes ask you to dig a bit in your FTP to fix some silly things. But it's quite rare.

I tested before some other blog system but I finally found Wordpress much better to handle. For a portfolio point of view, I would say it depends on what you intend : if it's just a gallery, a simple set of html pages would be better because of the faster load, otherwise Wordpress might be cool to use it for that kind of things.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I just made a Wordpress blog for WIP stuff and other rambles, but it's never going to be used as a portfolio. Love it compared to Tumblr, more customization options.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    @dustinbrown
    Thanks for mentioning the Post thumbnail Editor plugin, when I made my portfolio awhile back I was looking for a way to do this, but didn't come across this plugin.