Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Texture Practice

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
praetus interpolator
I want to get better at hand painting textures, so I figured I would make a thread rather than clogging up the WAYWO thread with my progress. I've been working on some axes that were drawn by Max Davenport (Daven).

I used the concept as a plate to make the models but when it came to painting, I made a point to not use the eye dropper but to paint from the texture from scratch. I've made three of the five axes so far and I'm going to come back and do the other two once I work on some other stuff first.

axe_005.jpg

axe_006.jpg

Replies

• praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Concept I drew up for a few props

desertProps.jpg

Progress

desertProps01.jpg
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Your burning axe is your most successful piece so far. The middle axe doesn't have the range of dark to light and doesn't give a clear indication of where the light is coming from nor high points. The left one is better, but the handle needs more love.

The cacti and rock show nice subtle brushstrokes in the concept...also not pushed far enough in range, but if you can duplicate the warm and fuzzy feeling, then i think you'll be successful in the 3D interpretation.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Thanks for the input katana. Once I finish this piece my goal is to go back and finish the other two axes in the concept. I figure when I do that I will also touch up the textures of the previously made axes as well. Some more progress on the desert props.

desertProps02.jpg
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Getting close to having this done. Hoping that once it is done I can try it out in sketchfab :)

desertProps03.jpg
  • sipher3325
  • Mark Dygert
    Good stuff, do more!
  • travisdreams
    Offline / Send Message
    travisdreams polycounter lvl 6
    this is some good stuff! espeeeecially that axe, im diggin it! :D keep goin!
  • Illusive
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    nice work! love those axes :) as for your cactus props though I think you could put more work into some of the rocks (particularly the balancing ones) it sort of looks like it just has a texture thrown on without much thought
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Still got some work to do on this but I figure it may be better off at this point to show the sketchfab and update it as I work on things.

[sketchfab]d6NOHwmsf5Jd5VhhJTIS8oV6ZRq[/sketchfab]
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Ohhh yeeeees :O desert props are very Wildstar :)
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Some of the Wildstar concept art is what had inspired this. I don't have much organic props on my site as it is now anyways, so it seemed like a good pairing to try.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Much improved! The cactus piece is really nice. Do more of that style!
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cute. Well done.

Gotta love that SketchFab too...nice to be able to see it in turn around.

Heck I even like your wireframe........:)
  • minorthreat
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    Wow this is perfect inspiration, I love your textures in the cactus scene, everything looks edible. XD
  • TaylorMouse
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMouse polycounter lvl 10
    Nice, but you know, uploading to sketchfab allows everyone to download your textures?

T.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Nice, but you know, uploading to sketchfab allows everyone to download your textures?

T.

It is upsetting to think that people would do that, however it is not going to stop me from showing off my work in the best possible way. I have textures posted on my website as well in full resolution and I always make sure my watermark (which is really just my website and e-mail) is unobtrusive and in the corner. I want people to see my work, not a watermark. People could steal those pretty easily too.

People can rip models and textures out of games too. At the end of the day I would rather show off my work in a cool way that can impress people than worry about some asshat stealing my work and trying to pass it off.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, that's the right attitude to have, besides what can they do with a texture sheet anyway?
  • Eliteabix
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    The real reward is in the process, even if these people rip your work they're missing out on the most important part. It certainly would be a shame if people were hesitant to upload texture sheets etc as I really enjoy seeing peoples workings/shortcuts/"nuances", that's the most interesting part for any artist/designer I think.

Regardless, I love what youve shown, the axe to the far right has really nice flow, colours are great too apart from the glowy bit at bottom, it seems to be brighter/more yellow than the rest of the axe.
  • Benton
    Awesome, I really love your textures.

Buuuuut....your normals are inverted.
    d6jZl9F.png
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Really awesome! I love the style and the colors.

Feel free to take it or leave it, but I think the sand could be bumped up a bit to help differentiate it from the rocks. Not too much, but just a bit. Right now I feel like the rocks are getting a bit lost in the sand - though maybe that's what you're going for.

Anyway, a quick photoshop adjustment of your image to demonstrate what I'm talking about:

NphpUe5.jpg

Left is the original image, right is after adjustments.

Good stuff though. Can't wait to see more!
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    klamp wrote: »
    Really awesome! I love the style and the colors.

Feel free to take it or leave it, but I think the sand could be bumped up a bit to help differentiate it from the rocks. Not too much, but just a bit. Right now I feel like the rocks are getting a bit lost in the sand - though maybe that's what you're going for.

Anyway, a quick photoshop adjustment of your image to demonstrate what I'm talking about:

NphpUe5.jpg

Left is the original image, right is after adjustments.

Good stuff though. Can't wait to see more!

Actually, nevermind that post. When looking at your model in the sketchfab viewer it looks like you already changed that. Oops!

Anyway, looks great!
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, I went to update and it hosed up some of textures for opacity. Gotta shut it down for now cause its storming bad, but I'll be back later to fix it....:poly141:

Edit - Fixed the issue with transparency and flipped normals, but I have to re-upload the file 4 times. One thing I don't like about Sketchfab (and it is about the only thing) is that you cannot re-upload through the Max plugins as it creates a new entry in your dashboard instead of replacing the old one. When I tried to manually do it it broke the entire mesh and now that file is unviewable. Should be more or less fixed now.
  • CordellC
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
  • Robbyh
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    teach us how to art like that
    would love to learn your texture creation techniques
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    arcanist.jpg

Dicking around with some Final Fantasy XIV fan art. I really like the key art for the Arcanist so I'm going to try and get some diffuse painting done on her tomorrow if I have time. She's just shy of 5k.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    arcanist001.jpg

Really shouldn't have taken as long a break as I did from the last project. Also, probably should have actually studied hand painted characters more.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    arcanist002.jpg

Slow progress is slow. I guess that'll teach me to have a kid and think I'd still have plenty of time to get work done. :poly142:
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    That's the most interesting choice of t-pose I've seen o_O I have a feeling you might have issues with the shoulders distorting in a more relaxed/neutral pose.

I loved that cactus scene, got me wishing for a roadrunner :D
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Found some time to work on this again. Reworked some of the face geometry and got some more painting done.

arcanist003.jpg
  • shrogg
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg polycounter lvl 12
    A bit of critique for you :)

You could probably drop the contrast on the ears a tad, They are currently dragging my eyes away from the rest of the figure, And it feels just a tad too symmetrical.

Other than that, Im loving the hair/face/Neck piece, Gives me a sort of.. sciency vibe i guess.

I cant wait to see what the finished piece will look like
  • cdavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    looks cool. i really like that burning axe.

ive always got a soft spot for hand painted stuff lol
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    shrogg wrote: »
    A bit of critique for you :)

You could probably drop the contrast on the ears a tad, They are currently dragging my eyes away from the rest of the figure, And it feels just a tad too symmetrical.

Other than that, Im loving the hair/face/Neck piece, Gives me a sort of.. sciency vibe i guess.

I cant wait to see what the finished piece will look like

Yeah, I haven't edited the ears yet but I see what you mean. I was trying to simulate translucency on the ear lobes but I may have blown it out a bit. I'll have to fiddle with it and see what I can get. As far as symmetry, it's a mirrored model on everything but the hair (and that is only in the back that it's asymmetrical) so I'm not sure how much that will change.

I want to get back to work on environments but I had a bad habit of dropping projects when I'm halfway through, so I need to see this one through to completion. Also, forgive the fact that in the back shot it looks like the left hand is a baby hand. Perspective killed it.

arcanist004.jpg
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    arcanist005.jpg

Gonna get this rigged so I can start posing her. Probably going to add a book as well since it's the weapon in for the Arcanist class in FF:XIV
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Crosspost from WAYWO thread...

This was originally from the character challenge back in January. I decided to pick it up again since I hadn't finished it. Sculpted in ZBrush and I baked down the lighting information as a base. As of now it's just a diffuse map so I can practice painting. I should also mention it's not done yet as I'm working on hair now and have some other areas to touch up.

I was somewhat inspired by seeing how the models were made for League of Legends, in that they sculpt most everything in ZBrush and then bake it down and paint over it. Watching how fast Josh Singh could knock out sculpts and apply large changes was pretty cool.

FoxBaseMesh_012.jpg
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    FoxBaseMesh_013.jpg

Pretty close to putting this one to bed. Going to make the sword next and then rig everything for posing.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Still have some work to do on the sword and of course rigging and posing the model. looking forward to getting this up on sketchfab when completed.

MZzi8v0.jpg
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, it's been a while since I posted anything in here but I'm back to hand painted stuff for the time being. I'm currently working off a concept by Catell-Ruz. Here's the concept

5K2ySZ0.jpg

And here is where I am at so far

nOOjuMF.jpg

I plan on making a mini environment out of this with the intention that everything is 100% diffuse. I'm trying to not touch ZBrush as much and level up my texture skills. Mainly jumping between photoshop and 3d Coat. Let me know what you think and if there is anything that I am lacking.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I think the stark color difference between the left side and the right side of the house in the concept cannot be captured with lighting alone, because the color change is done very stylistically. I would consider going a little crazy and actually painting it in the texture like that.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I had thought about that when I started but I have a question regarding that. Painting the shadows that drastically into the texture seems fine as a stand alone asset, but if I plan on making a small scene to complement it, would that still be ideal? I can think of situations where it would be beneficial (for instance a fixed camera perspective like Diablo) but if I plan on lighting several props in the scene would painting in that color shift work against me?
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    It really depends on what you want and how much work you're willing to put in.

Assuming you don't need fully dynamic lighting it's entirely possible to create an entire, complex scene with consistent lighting simply by giving everything unique UV space and painting it. (Another idea would be to create "shadow versions" or your textures and then either using additional geometry to 'cut in' shadows using basic texture blending or somehow use shadowmaps as a blend mask)

Honestly that'd probably look the best too. But for a highly detailed, complicated scene that is almost an insurmountable amount of work.

That said, to be perfectly honest I think you can probably get close enough with dynamic lighting. This concept has pretty intense fill color but the color is reasonably consistent. I set this up as a test with two directional lights:

praetus_2015061000.jpg

I had to eyeball the color because UE4s color picker is currently completley hosed. The main difference here is the shadow in the concept is a bit less saturated, but the hue and value are a close match. If you spent some time on it and added post processing I think you could get a closer result to the concept.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate them. I'm going to try the lighting fix first (when I get to that point) and if that doesn't work I may try and apply some color shifts and edits manually to the texture. For now, I've made some progress.

qYmDg61.jpg
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Totaaaally jealous right now. Really wish I had found that concept to work with first LOL. Subbed (y)
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    VYi5xKj.jpg

Some more progress. Pretty close to finishing the main building. Need to make cactus pots and barrels and a small scene to put it into.
  • Catell-Ruz
    Wow, this is just so amazing! Thank you so much for making this concept in 3D!
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Nicely done sir
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Catell-Ruz wrote: »
    Wow, this is just so amazing! Thank you so much for making this concept in 3D!

I'm really glad you like it! :)

Here's a small update with the barrels and cacti. I plan on touching up some of the texturing overall as well as painting the base and adding some small props and flora.

BewYI3W.jpg
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Lovin the house so far...wanna see more progress :)
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Catell-Ruz thanks for giving me permission to model it. I asked a while back through twitter and it took some time to get rolling, but I hope it lives up to the concept you posted.

Thanks _Kratos_!

Some lighting progress in marmoset and tweaked some of the texture sharpness. Next up is the base. I plan on making some rocks and desert flora to put down, as well as modeling the base up a bit so it isn't just a flat piece.

BCLT7iw.jpg
  • praetus