Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Chaemirix
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    When trying to copy skin weights from juggernauts model, then export them, I run into this error.
    I'm still fairly new to this, could anyone give me a heads up of what I'm doing wrong?

I can bind to that bone if I use imported smd that I extracted straight from the game, but the bones from the model provided seem to give issues.

ot52LQq.png
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    You probably can rig your hood the same way his sides are rigged, don't give up!

Right, but the problem is that new head slot "items" could clip horribly through the hood no matter how I rig it, and it clips too much through the default cloak to go in the head slot instead. I guess it all depends on how important it is to valve that certain cosmetic items can clip through other cosmetic items. I know that there's already some out there that have that issue, like the ship's wheel and the shark that go right through each other on tide.

I think I'm just going to continue with the set as is and hope for the best, I'll have the hood and cloak in the back slot, and I'll make a complete head with the mask for the "face". It's possible people will come up with new head shapes that stick through the hood but I'm not going to worry about that for now, it's wide enough to fit anything that way and I'll leave the hood shape in such a way that anything like the current topknot can still go through it without looking awkward.
  • Paskie
    Congrats everyone who got some stuff in the patch!

Just uploaded the scepter. Thx vlad for the suggestions! Now i just have to finish the shoulders :)
    D50FEEE3D78A20EA61FA6C315949B3F424AB1FAB

Captured some video from ingame too.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LtXfp5GcBg"]Demonheart Scepter - YouTube[/ame]
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Right, but the problem is that new head slot "items" could clip horribly through the hood no matter how I rig it.
    Uh, can't you just like... put your hood and mask in the head slot?
    Paskie wrote: »

Just uploaded the scepter. Thx vlad for the suggestions! Now i just have to finish the shoulders :)

Looks great!
  • Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10

The lighting in that picture could really use some work. It looks pretty bad at the moment.
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    Uh, can't you just like... put your hood and mask in the head slot?

I could, but it would clip through the side things on the default cloak that wrap around his head, and also a bit on the chest and on his back. Maybe if I changed my design a bit I could get it to work, I'm going to experiment with a bunch of stuff and see what works.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Congrats to those who got their sets/items in :)

I'm working away on my bounty hunter, got quite a bit of work done on the shuriken highpoly:

Shuriken_HP_WIP_01.jpg
    Larger Image

And here's the full and probably final concept picture for the set: Link

Got a few things to tweak on the highpoly before moving on.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    They just patched anuxi's store icons for the Mirana set. Looks like we will be seeing that tomorrow as well!

Also, about the Team Polycount team. There have been so many request to join the team. Bronto-Thunder came up with a great idea to have them broken down into region. So we can have a Team Polycount-NA, Team Polycount-EU, and Team Polycount-AUS. It might be better this way since picking a server won't be an issue and more people can join a team.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Yep, so I'll set up the Polycount AU team - lemme know if you want in!

I'll organize it tomorrow.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, so I'll set up the Polycount AU team - lemme know if you want in!

I'll organize it tomorrow.

I'll coordinate the NA team. :)

And a really wild thought, if we had a forth team. We can have a tourney, get one of the casters to broadcast it, and have giveaways for the community! Maybe I'm getting too ambitious!

We call it... "A Weekend of Cosmetics!" Watch the creators of the cosmetics you know and love battle it out... to the death!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I mainly play in the mornings in Au time.. which is like lunch time West Coast time. So I can be in either Au or NA... hahah

Also Mega grats CA, BT and vlad! So glad that CM set got in! I may have to buy it all up :3

Also Does anyone know if you can paint vertex colours on couriers? I wanna do some AO gradation on shagbarks leaves and I was hoping to just do that with vert colour rather that texture space.
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Even with two teams it would be cool to play agains each other! Anyone from EU wants to make a team?
  • PoPcorn
    Sign me up for the AU team!
  • PoPcorn
    I don't think you can Anuxi, or at least it's not something I've read about.
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    are there any more slots in team australia?

i have to test out my self made :>
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Concepting variations on Keeper of Light's face - C&C appreciated. Leaning towards elaborating on C.

ib1hX0zJ36WyAX.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    C! C! C!

Oh man you're making me excited to work on my own kotl set.
  • Chaemirix
    Offline / Send Message
    C looks awesome from the front but the "halo" looks bizarre from the side.
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm either going to make it floating, or re-concept properly as a circlet. I wasn't too concerned with perspective correctness at this point.
  • Chaemirix
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a omni set concepted out with a floating halo behind it.
    Never really made it cause I don't got the skills, but I think the idea is pretty kick-ass.

SypXu2s.jpg

9cIbqfQ.png
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks great! I think you should still give it a try when your skills are up to snuff.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    C! C! C!

Oh man you're making me excited to work on my own kotl set.

This totally!

Man I hope kotl is the next monthly comp :D

Also no vert colours makes me sad :( Can anyone else confirm this? (for couriers)
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    C or A aivanov, both look great, although everyone else seems to be leaning towards C.

Chaemirix, that set looks great, if you do nothing else try making the halo at least, it's all basic geometry which should make it fairly easy.

Streamers_Concept.jpg

Ok, so now that my mask is separated from the back slot I have a lot more wiggle room with my poly's and texture space, so I might try to fix the different silhouette problem this set has.

I already tested this concept in-game with basic geometry and it works with the cloak bones. The question is does it look better this way? Is it too busy? I might try only doing the two on the sides and deleting the back two, or removing some of the detail underneath the shoulders on the back two. Or I could try removing the detailing/purple altogether and instead keeping it plain like the wrap around the staff.

On the other hand it might look less busy in-game than it does in the concept art...

Thoughts?
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    I've published my "Tree of Life" for Tiny. Here's the link for anyone who's interested:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=126958986&searchtext=

Thx for the nice comment Helenek! :)

BTW, does anyone have an idea on how to test this ingame, I got the .mdl Files and .vtf ready in the test client, but there is no way to get the item ingame :s

@Paskie: The scepter is looking really great, but as mentioned plz do something about the lightning of your full character shot, add some light from the bottom, so the details pop out a bit more.

@Aivonov: wow great concepts, started making some for KoL as well but they are too bad to show at the moment :p I would go for A, with the collar of C.

@Nannou: If you are going to make the EU team, I would love to join! :p
  • Paskie
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    I've published my "Tree of Life" for Tiny. Here's the link for anyone who's interested:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=126958986&searchtext=

Thx for the nice comment Helenek! :)

BTW, does anyone have an idea on how to test this ingame, I got the .mdl Files and .vtf ready in the test client, but there is no way to get the item ingame :s

@Paskie: The scepter is looking really great, but as mentioned plz do something about the lightning of your full character shot, add some light from the bottom, so the details pop out a bit more.

@Aivonov: wow great concepts, started making some for KoL as well but they are too bad to show at the moment :p I would go for A, with the collar of C.

@Nannou: If you are going to make the EU team, I would love to join! :p

Yeah i know :/ That is a render with from the cgfx shader which do not accept lightning or am i doing something wrong? I have no idea how to do renders with all the masks present without the cgfx shader :( If someone have some info on how to accomplish that i would be really happy! How do you guys render your promomaterial? Or do you upload them to verold or sketchfab? Any help would be appreciated. :)
  • Paskie
    Hmm, i wonder if i could just bump up the lightning values instead :)
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah i know :/ That is a render with from the cgfx shader which do not accept lightning or am i doing something wrong? I have no idea how to do renders with all the masks present without the cgfx shader :( If someone have some info on how to accomplish that i would be really happy! How do you guys render your promomaterial? Or do you upload them to verold or sketchfab? Any help would be appreciated. :)

Well to be honost i don't use the masks at all for presenting promotion shots, I just do a quick 3 point lightning setup for the shots, with just diffuse and normal texture. For some models I used Marmoset to make shots, I then use a simple spec map.

Before polycount explodes with KoL items, here's my concept so far for his staff. Not sure if I'm doing a complete set for him. the colors are very wip.

88G5Idb.jpg
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Ok so i've started to think about custom animation for my creations...and i don't have a clue of how to proceed...is there anyone with a big enough heart to give me some hint?

Usually i save my objects in FBX...so is there a way to add animation into those files? and how would the engine recognize what animation i've edited? Is Valve gonna take the animation and put it in the right place or the right file? Do i have to create a totally different file with exporting tools that i still didn't even consider? Is there a way to import the original animation into max?

Feel free to answer these and other questions i didn't think about :)
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Chaemirix wrote: »
    When trying to copy skin weights from juggernauts model, then export them, I run into this error.
    I'm still fairly new to this, could anyone give me a heads up of what I'm doing wrong?

I can bind to that bone if I use imported smd that I extracted straight from the game, but the bones from the model provided seem to give issues.

ot52LQq.png

I don't know what this is. What software are you using?

PS: The models from the workshop page are outdated. It's better to use decompiled models from the game files.
  • satrio
    Back to the drawing board =/ Maybe I can still use the staff, shoulders, and mask in another design somehow. Trying to think positive :poly141: .

I´m new to this, but can´t you just make the original head part of the set?
    Maybe integrate the mask into the head and do a complete head replacement.
    The problem is more or less on how to weight the cloak so it follows correctly.

Are you only allowed to make stuff that stacks onto the base mesh, or are you allowed to completely change silhouette and colors aswell?

/s
  • Chaemirix
    Offline / Send Message
    marul wrote: »
    I don't know what this is. What software are you using?

PS: The models from the workshop page are outdated. It's better to use decompiled models from the game files.

Whoops sorry. That's from Maya 2012 trying to export my model as an fbx after skinning it. It's a non issue as long as I used the smd files I decompiled from the game instead of the ones provided, I was just curious as to what exactly would cause that issue.
  • Paskie
    Ok, added positions for the lights. Looks better :)

AA5C92656CE8C6221B61FFD91CCF63535BA7EE8A
  • Zaubereis
    Hello there! So I have been dreaming for months and months about making something for the Dota 2 workshop, but I have been so intimidated by all the amazing stuff that's been made and didn't think I stood a chance. Anyway, I finally just bit the bullet and started conceptualizing for Lich. I was going for a more mage-like outfit for him, might call it "Ethreain's Vestments" or something like that since it was his mage name. Anyway, I planned on having his main chain link still on him but was lazy and only put it in the front view. However I might make the links a little thinner/lighter colored to match my sketch. Please, any and every thought you have is welcome - this is my first time doing this so I have no idea if I'm on the right track or not!

2h3oets.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, added positions for the lights. Looks better :)

AA5C92656CE8C6221B61FFD91CCF63535BA7EE8A

That lighting is a bajillion times better!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »
    Ok so i've started to think about custom animation for my creations...and i don't have a clue of how to proceed...is there anyone with a big enough heart to give me some hint?

Usually i save my objects in FBX...so is there a way to add animation into those files? and how would the engine recognize what animation i've edited? Is Valve gonna take the animation and put it in the right place or the right file? Do i have to create a totally different file with exporting tools that i still didn't even consider? Is there a way to import the original animation into max?

Feel free to answer these and other questions i didn't think about :)

I would imagine you would have to do the animation and export the skeleton as an SMD, then to test it I guess you can decompile the character, edit the .qc and put your animation in the recompiled character. Then send it all to valve maybe? Either that or just send the .smd of the animation to valve.

This is something I'm trying to figure out myself since I plan on giving juggernaut a full animation set for duel wielding one day.
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    I would imagine you would have to do the animation and export the skeleton as an SMD, then to test it I guess you can decompile the character, edit the .qc and put your animation in the recompiled character. Then send it all to valve maybe? Either that or just send the .smd of the animation to valve.

This is something I'm trying to figure out myself since I plan on giving juggernaut a full animation set for duel wielding one day.

Juggernaut already has custom animations for odachi and Windrunner for Sparrowhawk set (i think) and you must have already found them if you decompiled the files. Just adding the custom animations to the model's zip files (located in steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\content\dota\etc.) in SMD format should suffice. (Like adding dual wielding animations for a dual-katana item maybe)

Edit: Nope, I don't think it would work like that but I think they are planning to release intructions on that (and taunts) so we will probably have to wait a bit.
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    satrio wrote: »
    I´m new to this, but can´t you just make the original head part of the set?
    Maybe integrate the mask into the head and do a complete head replacement.
    The problem is more or less on how to weight the cloak so it follows correctly.

Are you only allowed to make stuff that stacks onto the base mesh, or are you allowed to completely change silhouette and colors aswell?

/s

I can't because people can use custom heads, and what happens when I put the mask on top of those custom heads and it doesn't work? The set needs to be mostly compatible with other items.

I thought about making the mask and hood part of the head slot, but the hood clips through items in the cloak slot too much. So I'm turning the mask into a complete standalone head slot item and the hood will be part of the cloak. The only worry is that other head slot items people make might clip through the hood, but I think it's big enough it should work for all but the most extreme examples.
  • Chaemirix
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started working on a Chakram for PA.
    Will probably make it look a bit smaller. I used her standard weapon colors but it feels so... bland with those color. Then again she is a very bland character from a color standpoint so, I guess it fits?

A6Lo5bd.png
    Qg32qJB.png
  • Zaubereis
    Chaemirix wrote: »
    Just started working on a Chakram for PA.
    Will probably make it look a bit smaller. I used her standard weapon colors but it feels so... bland with those color. Then again she is a very bland character from a color standpoint so, I guess it fits?

A6Lo5bd.png
    Qg32qJB.png

I do think it fits! Especially if you are going to make it a standalone item and not part of a set. I do agree on your statement that it should be a bit smaller though. Maybe make the design on the handle a bit brighter, closer in color to that on her bracers so that it stands out a little more in game? I am new to this, so take my words with a grain of salt. ;)
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    Hi everyone. Here's some work I've been doing for a Dark Seer set. I've been having some problems getting the textures to display inside the client as they do in viewport. I've just started using the dota2 hero shader 2.0 instead of a previous cgfx shader that wasn't giving very accurate results. Comparing the existing dark seer textures in viewport and client I can tell its not a lighting issue so it must be something wrong within my shader masks presumably. But I've tried various combinations of different masks to try and isolate one which is causing the effect, but I've been met with a consistant result every time (I've also tried this with other items in the set and had the same result). Right now I can't see whats causing the problem, if anyone has any suggestions they would be massively appreciated. Also and thoughts or criticisms are always welcome. Thank you in advance.
    DotA2_darkseerSet.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that the courier is finished I can get back to work on the Dark Reef ward! We updated the textures and modified the model to make it much better.

Sentry
    sentry.jpg

Observer
    observer.jpg
  • jaydon
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    It has been a while since ive done any work, getting introduced to Dota didn't help!
    The workshop is awesome though and i would love to start making some items.
    Here is a beginning, speedsculpt concept for SK. Just the head and messy claws for now. (the red parts are little rubies)
    Thinking about making crown horns more menacing.
    Advice and Crit very welcome.
    YBltidH.jpg
  • Plant
    jaydon wrote: »
    It has been a while since ive done any work, getting introduced to Dota didn't help!
    The workshop is awesome though and i would love to start making some items.
    Here is a beginning, speedsculpt concept for SK. Just the head and messy claws for now. (the red parts are little rubies)
    Thinking about making crown horns more menacing.
    Advice and Crit very welcome.
    YBltidH.jpg

That face looks awesome :D
  • jaydon
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Why thankyou good sir
  • eastblue
    Chakram doen't fit with the current game aesthetic.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    eastblue wrote: »
    Please. God. No. Ringblade (Chakram) for PA. Ringblade is signature weapon for Venge and Spectre (even though they changed it but leave room for cosmetic). Do you even play the game and consider the item in game perspective? To be honest it looks good and fits the hero design but it doen't fit the game aesthetic.

I guess you never played the original dota, I think it looks great and fits the character perfectly.
  • Chaemirix
    Offline / Send Message
    eastblue wrote: »
    Please. God. No. Ringblade (Chakram) for PA. Ringblade is signature weapon for Venge and Spectre (even though they changed it but leave room for cosmetic). Do you even play the game and consider the item in game perspective? To be honest it looks good and fits the hero design but it doen't fit the game aesthetic.

No need to get zealous over it. It's a throwback to WC3 Dota; She had one there, although it was much more... "rendy".
    Spectre doesn't even have one anymore, and Vengeful is small enough that it doesn't really stand out on the hero.

That being said, you could have said the same thing about giving Skeleton King a shield (also a WC3 throwback) but that was fine.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I've set up the Polycount AU team, send me a message if I'm online and I'll add you :D

aqzPyKt.png
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I've set up the Polycount AU team, send me a message if I'm online and I'll add you :D

aqzPyKt.png

With that being said, there are spots open on the American team, so if anyone is interested, toss me a message on steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Helenek/
  • Zaubereis
    What does being on a team entail?