Home Unreal Engine

Layered Materials - Opacity Mask Not Working

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
beefaroni sublime tool
Hi everyone. I'm trying to use a opacity alpha (black and white) plugged into a MatLayerBlend_OverrideOpacityMask for a layered material. When I use the mask in a standard material, it works; however, it doesn't seem to work in the layered material. This question has been posted before but it was never resolved.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/52024/layered-material-use-opacity.html

Replies

• beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Also, here are some images that show the two setups (one working, one non-working).

Working (basic):
    SGlnvsu.png

Non-working (layer_blend):
    Gytq2n3.png
  • beefaroni
  • punchface
    Offline / Send Message
    punchface polycounter lvl 6
    I think I'm having this same issue but the image on imgur won't load. Can somebody who has beefaroni's solution image here reload it? Pretty please?
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    The solution for this is to plug 1 (constant) into "mask".
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Man this was a long time ago!

I see what I did now.

Originally, I tried to plug the material function with the additions directly into the output. That wasn't working. I ended up having to break it all down and then re-attaching it.

Hope this helps

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    beefaroni said:

I see what I did now.

Originally, I tried to plug the material function with the additions directly into the output. That wasn't working. I ended up having to break it all down and then re-attaching it.

Hope this helps

From what I see, the explanation and the error is this:

You plugged the opacity mask into the mask that drives where to change the opacity(mask). This isn't used to tell the actual opacity of the material, but it tells where it will be blended. I could be wrong though.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Ooh that makes sense. I now know 3 years later why that fix actually worked :)
  • IacopoAntonelli
    Offline / Send Message
    IacopoAntonelli polycounter lvl 3
    Obscura said:
    beefaroni said:

I see what I did now.

Hope this helps

From what I see, the explanation and the error is this:

You plugged the opacity mask into the mask that drives where to change the opacity(mask). This isn't used to tell the actual opacity of the material, but it tells where it will be blended. I could be wrong though.
    No, you are right! The solution is putting the texture in new opacity mask input directly and its inverse (using 1- node) in the mask input.