Home General Discussion

Batman: Arkham Knight

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I should buy a lottery ticket.

I am getting between 40-60FPS, with it being on the 60FPS the majority of time, at 1440P with decent settings. The game is beautiful, the story is great, and if you didn't point out the things I was missing (like rain shaders), I wouldn't have noticed and I still don't care.

I'm about 7 hours in and its the best game I've played in a while.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    adam wrote: »

I am getting between 40-60FPS, with it being on the 60FPS the majority of time, at 1440P with decent settings. The game is beautiful, the story is great, and if you didn't point out the things I was missing (like rain shaders), I wouldn't have noticed and I still don't care.

Curious, whats your hardware. Yes go buy that ticket lol
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    it's apparently by design: http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/June-23-Update-on-PC-Performance-PLEASE-READ-FIRST/m-p/572903#U572903

"Expected: 30fps (capped). The Recommended Spec is intended to deliver an experience on par with the current generation of gaming platforms."

the fps cap can be removed, and if this is "apparently by design"... this will be their doom because this is not on par with the current gaming platforms.

check this out, Batman: Arkham Knight – PC Version Lacks Modern Graphical Effects (AO, Bokeh DOF & Rain Textures): http://www.dsogaming.com/news/batman-arkham-knight-pc-version-lacks-modern-graphical-effects-ao-bokeh-dof-rain-textures/

notice the textures, bokeh, and the eyes.

Md7V0YZ.png

And now look this screen... so they planned to design a worse version for the pc gamers?. This is a huge shame.

px2Ja4u.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Dataday wrote: »
    As far as I know, they had nothing to do with Arkham City. They only did Origins, and that game was also a mess. Apparently, they (Iron Galaxy) have a very poor track record and have mainly dealt with ios and console games.
    In retrospect, I might have read that in a Kotaku comment so the veracity of said statement might be a little on the dubious side.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Finished it, enjoyed it start to finish. My only real complaints, shitty port aside, is I've got a single bloody trophy on one of the islands with no marker or informants about and Gordon's voice acting was crap. He just sounded bored, would have liked a bit better performance after they replaced the old guy with Mike from Breaking Bad. John Noble's Scarecrow was great though, same for the rest of the cast.

Would like to know how they fucked the port up, it barely even spins GPU fan up, so it's not as though it's straining my card.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Utterly incredible, every F'in company tries this crap time and time again. The millionaire CEO always tries to cut costs and end up KILLING a product.

Where if they would just do it right they would sell a lot more. Companies wonder why no one buy a lot of games anymore - because everyone knows they are going to be garbage for the first 2-3 months. Zero confidence in almost every developer now a day
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    skyline5gtr:

If people waited for actual non biased reviews instead of rushing to buy the game perhaps they wouldnt feel defrauded , its a matter of common sense i guess. But i tottally get where you are coming from.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr:

If people waited for actual non biased reviews instead of rushing to buy the game perhaps they wouldnt feel defrauded , its a matter of common sense i guess. But i tottally get where you are coming from.

I did not buy it, I just do not understand rocksteady. This should have been a slam dunk and develop it in house
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I'm the same as you adam. My FPS was really bad a first, but after I turned off all of NVidia's Gameworks stuff (except for enhanced rain and light shafts) it was fairly smooth. It slows down overtime though, to the point where the freezing and stuttering makes it unplayable. I don't want to continue playing because I don't want to watch slideshows during cut scenes.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    skyline5gtr:

If people waited for actual non biased reviews instead of rushing to buy the game perhaps they wouldnt feel defrauded

+1, stop pre-ordering, wait for reviews and you won't get burned! :thumbup:
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If people stopped pre-ordering and buying maybe it will finally send a message to the publisher
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    The pre-order bonuses though!! I NEED to have my weapon skin and DLC map packs BEFORE ANYONE ELSE! xD
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Curious, whats your hardware. Yes go buy that ticket lol

770 GTX, 32GB RAM, i7 CPU
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    770 GTX, 32GB RAM, i7 CPU

exact same as me except im a peasant on 8gb lol
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

I take it you did notice the locked 30 fps though? ;)
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    How long has this game been in development? Is it a surprise they're still using UE3? https://youtu.be/gUfgKOgqaMA?t=1m38s at 1:38 you see the default UE3 BSP texture.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    It's weird seeing people bash Iron Galaxy over this. They've done some great work in the past and some not so great work. But I hate it when something goes a bit bad and companies/fans look towards outsource partners to blame. Happened with Deus Ex when people were disappointed with the boss battles, people came out and said they outsourced those... when Aliens CM was poorly reviewed Gearbox pointed to their outsource partners, too. Fucking just take the blame. You put it out at the end of the day and probably gave the outsource partners shitty time/resources. And of course the outsource partners can't say anything unless they want to commit company suicide...

Anyway, I saw this game for the first time properly the other day on an Xbone; looked fucking insane. Maybe the first 'next-gen' game I've seen released that really looked like a proper leap. I think I might give that first game a spin on PC. I have it on Steam and just never got round to playing it...
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    But they are to blame, they chose to take on the job... though they are not alone in that blame. One of the problems with outsource studios is that they practically take anything, even if its last minute and they know they cannot do it properly. Why? Money & hopefully returning clients. Its a double edge sword though, if they cant deliver or know they cant deliver, but take it on anyway... if its just the money or return business they are after then they have to accept part of the blame.

The rest goes to the big publishers imo. They love to cut corners and it results in products being poor. Their micromanaging or lack of good management seems to do more harm than good.

So when I see stuff like AK, all three Iron Galaxy, WB Games, and to some extent Rocksteady are all to blame (granted Rocksteady is owned by WB I believe, thus their hands are probably tied). I really dont understand the big publisher's obsession with focusing on consoles more than PCs, especially when you factor in the losses they face from the used game market which is practically console exclusive.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You say they are to blame, and then make a bunch of assumptions about this case based on things we know can sometimes happen. Do you work at Iron Galaxy? Or know someone there? I'm genuinely asking. Because you start your post with a 100% affirmation that Iron Galaxy are to blame for their work on the PC version being poor. How do you know that they didn't accept this contract, submit a milestone of their work and were then told they were no longer needed to complete further work and had done enough? Like, genuinely... how do you know that situation didn't exist?

This is what frustrates me so much. All you can say with complete accuracy is that WB Games put out a PC version of a title that wasn't up-to-scratch.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    You say they are to blame, and then make a bunch of assumptions about this case based on things we know can sometimes happen.....Because you start your post with a 100% affirmation that Iron Galaxy are to blame for their work on the PC version being poor... How do you know that they didn't accept this contract, submit a milestone of their work and were then told they were no longer needed to complete further work and had done enough?

Well they are to blame for THEIR work. That is common sense bud, but I also made it clear that they are not alone where the blame/ire should go. Maybe you are not aware but this isn't the first "batman" game they ported at the behest of WB. The last one stunk too (not this bad though). You also cant dismiss the fact their track record isn't exactly worthy of praise (PC titles). Their logo/name is on the box, they were quite happy to advertise AK on all their social media outlets, they had 12 people working on the port AND on top of all that, WB said they are continuing to work with the outsource partners to fix the problem.

So clearly they have been a part of the process the whole time and put their name and continued development on the line. I don't quite understand why you are having trouble giving them a portion of the blame. Emphasis on the word "portion", I don't agree they should be the primary or sole scapegoat in this case. WB clearly deserves the lions share, at the end of the day they deemed it release worthy and that hurts all studios involved.

What it all boils down to though is sending the message that this isn't ok. Its not good for devs or the consumers. We shouldn't make excuses to such an extent where a normalcy bias begins to form around such practices/results. That's where your frustration should be pointing towards in my opinion.

I am also of the opinion that games developed on the PC shouldnt be outsourced just for the sake of porting it back onto the PC..but that's just me.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well then... I don't think we disagree? :poly124: My original point was people dogpiling on outsource companies and big pubs pointing the finger in their direction for a quick excuse. Sure, Iron Galaxy probably do have a portion of the blame; but because we don't know the ins and outs of their deal we can't even correctly figure out what that portion should be...

EDIT: After reading your post I didn't see you say a portion of the blame... must have missed it.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    Well then... I don't think we disagree? :poly124: My original point was people dogpiling on outsource companies and big pubs pointing the finger in their direction for a quick excuse. Sure, Iron Galaxy probably do have a portion of the blame; but because we don't know the ins and outs of their deal we can't even correctly figure out what that portion should be...

EDIT: After reading your post I didn't see you say a portion of the blame... must have missed it.

No worries, as for the word "portion"... its not there. I'm not trying to play semantics, but the focus is on what was articulated and communicated. For example, comments like "they are not alone in that blame" and "The rest goes to the big publishers imo" should be translated as saying the same thing as "portioning" out where the blame goes.

Anyways... this release will haunt WB for quite some time, not to mention the franchise. =(
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah sorry, I wasn't being pedantic, I genuinely left that post without that having come across - only after re-reading it.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I agree, shallow and pedantic.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Patch rolled out:

Rocksteady is leading our team of developers and partners as we work on the PC performance issues that players have been encountering. The work is significant and while we are making good progress on improving performance, it will take some time to ensure that we get the right fixes in place.

Below is the list of the key areas where we are dedicating our resources to improve the experience for our loyal fans:
    Support for frame rates above 30FPS in the graphics settings menu

Fix for low resolution texture bug
    Improve overall performance and framerate hitches
    Add more options to the graphics settings menu
    Improvements to hard drive streaming and hitches
    Address full screen rendering bug on gaming laptops
    Improvements to system memory and VRAM usage
    NVIDIA SLI bug fixes
    Enabling AMD Crossfire
    NVIDIA and AMD updated drivers

While we work on improving performance, we will also continue to make interim patches available to address issues for those still playing the game on PC. The first patch is being released now and the updates include:

Fixed a crash that was happening for some users when exiting the game
    Fixed a bug which disabled rain effects and ambient occlusion. We are actively looking into fixing other bugs to improve this further
    Corrected an issue that was causing Steam to re-download the game when verifying the integrity of the game cache through the Steam client
    Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when turning off Motion Blur in BmSystemSettings.ini. A future patch will enable this in the graphics settings menu

We would like to thank our fans for their patience and invaluable feedback. We will continue to monitor and listen for any additional issues.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Just finished the main story of the game and..WOWOWOW!! Such an amazing experience. Truly phenomenal. It's a shame that the technical issues, and drama surrounding the game are overshadowing the top-notch quality the developers put in.
  • Ark
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    eld wrote: »
    I take it you did notice the locked 30 fps though? ;)

It's a PC game - I turned that off.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I just wanna pop in and say I am having a blast with Knight. It's not my favourite Arkham game to date (Origins won me over with the story) but whew... Rocksteady and the WB crew have done such a solid job and for reals, Rocksteady (for me) is hands-down the masters of Unreal Tech.

Bravo to ze teams involved!
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They do deserve an award for that Diner scene in the beginning. Think I spent a good 20 min just wandering back and forth, taking in the environment and atmosphere. A shame there is not more of that. Refuse to play the game in full though until the fixes and added options are in.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Seems like you guys still love it regardless of the bad reviews and glitches. That tells alot about this game so I am going to get in to it.

My problem is I've never played any of the Batman: Arkham series except for Arkham Asylum. So I will have to play them before I get to this.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It's a PC game - I turned that off.

That's a yes then!

While the rain effect was subtle, remember that up until a few days ago the ambient occlusion was entirely missing, you couldn't have missed that one.

For me the game runs and looks fantastic at max settings up until the point where I travel somewhere fast, like with the car, while flying or while using the winch where it will sometimes slow down and take two second breaks. This seems to be the general issue people are having.

But with that said, GOTY!
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just in case anyone was looking at the Art of Rocksteady's Batman (art book) which came out today, it has about as much polish and quality as the PC version of Arkham Asylum.
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Dataday wrote: »
    Just in case anyone was looking at the Art of Rocksteady's Batman (art book) which came out today, it has about as much polish and quality as the PC version of Arkham Asylum.

No good then dataday?
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No good then dataday?

In my opinion, no. Its a big book but a lot of wasted space. Its a tad heavy on text for an art book, best environment pieces are kept as tiny thumbnails. They fill entire pages up with screen caps of the game itself, which is usually a big nono for a game art book imo. There's even a section talking about the programming for some odd reason. A lot priority seems to be given to some very rough and unpolished concepts. Not a lot of solid character art either, which is surprising given the cast they could pull from in all 3 games.

I really have no idea what they were thinking with this book... feels outsourced and half arsed. But again, thats just me.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    anyone know when the next patch is coming for this?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    sziada wrote: »

there's no online/persistent component to the game, so chances are they will patch it until it "works" and then leave it alone.

if it already "works", don't count on further patches, they cost too much money.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    there's no online/persistent component to the game, so chances are they will patch it until it "works" and then leave it alone.

if it already "works", don't count on further patches, they cost too much money.

It's still not being sold on steam due to the streaming issues.

The word is that it might be some time until that is properly fixed.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada wrote: »

Last I hear, couple of months. Some DLC got delayed too. Probably means they have a bigger mess on their hands than they let on.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    such a shame really if was a fun game
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Bigger patch in September, possibly an interim patch in August, though. Source: some pc-mag off my FB feed (can't remember really).