Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop unnoficial monthly competition - APRIL

Replies

• Paskie
    Been doing some sculpting, soon time for retopo.

PrQgSmy.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    feathers or no feathers in the hood?

PA_Feathers_WiP_1_zps66341fba.jpg

awesome work, i like the feathers on the hood =]
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Boom!
    KatarWpn_Texture_WIP_01.jpg

Phantom Assassin weapon out of nowhere, got some shading issues ingame that I gotta fix but other then that it's coming along fine.
    I'll probably lighten and/or turn up the saturation a bit on the leather part of the handle.
  • Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Also another PA weapon, just base colours laid down now. Nothing fancy.

GNSFp2n.jpg
  • PoPcorn
    Pierate wrote: »
    Boom!
    Very nice.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Boom!

Phantom Assassin weapon out of nowhere, got some shading issues ingame that I gotta fix but other then that it's coming along fine.
    I'll probably lighten and/or turn up the saturation a bit on the leather part of the handle.

Very nice! I think some value breakup is needed though. Like super bright blade edge or something?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Boom!

nice work man, try to show something like the lowpoly mesh so people could learn from it

anuxi´s suggestion is really nice about creating a bigger value contrast
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @reverendK, I'm really liking your DS set so far. Curious to see what colors will you choose for it :)

Alright, I'm a bit late to the party, but better late than never, huh?

So here is my highpoly base mesh for the set I'm doing for PA, I'll begin sculpting as soon as figure out what to do in the belt and in the bottom of the cape.

To the belt slot I'm thinking in some kind of thigh protection with a collection of knives on it and a piece of hanging cloth, all depends on how the hanging cloth will behave when linked to the cape bones.

Now, to the images:

8642184722_8b6752a0fb.jpg8642184314_9463199eed.jpg8641084215_140ceb6e41.jpg
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I really dig the profile silhouette, rubus, but i'm kind of put off by the shape of the head from the front. Sculpted and textured it might not be so odd, but right now the shape is a little....bonnet? looks like an awesome start though.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    cZUCTRl.jpg

Nearing the end of this. Just a bit more polish as the normal map has a little bit of wonkiness to it in some areas. Not sure if I should add additional detail to the texture map like highlights or just leave it as is and let the normal map do the work. 256x256 isn't much to work with anyway.
  • Paskie
    Boom!

Nice!!! I really like the form on this one. Reminds me of batman! And that is always a good thing :)
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone, here's a small update (unlit diffuse this time):

KatarWpn_Texture_WIP_02.jpg

Texture with UV lines overlayed for those who want to see the layout, this is half the size of what I paint it at:
    KatarWpn_Texture_256_Lines_01.png

Anuxi: Good call, I increased the brightness of both the edge and edge highlight, it's going to have pretty high specular ingame aswell.

Tvidotto: Included the lowpoly and texture this time around, there isn't really anything special about it though, just gotta make sure to split the UV's in the right places to help the normal map.

Paskie: Hah, I had the same thought aswell, I tried to keep myself from making it too batlike though :)
  • shellnut
    Wow guys. A lot of work coming from polycounters. Hehe.
    RossC wrote: »
    cZUCTRl.jpg

Nearing the end of this. Just a bit more polish as the normal map has a little bit of wonkiness to it in some areas. Not sure if I should add additional detail to the texture map like highlights or just leave it as is and let the normal map do the work. 256x256 isn't much to work with anyway.
    An emo look for PA. lol. I would suggest you add some highlights to tha hair. Maybe you can add some highlights like tint of gray/blue on the hair?
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks everyone, here's a small update (unlit diffuse this time):

Anuxi: Good call, I increased the brightness of both the edge and edge highlight, it's going to have pretty high specular ingame aswell.

Tvidotto: Included the lowpoly and texture this time around, there isn't really anything special about it though, just gotta make sure to split the UV's in the right places to help the normal map.

Paskie: Hah, I had the same thought aswell, I tried to keep myself from making it too batlike though :)
    I was expecting it to be one solid piece for some reason. I keep forgetting that doing separate geometry is actually good at times.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    shellnut wrote: »
    Wow guys. A lot of work coming from polycounters. Hehe.

An emo look for PA. lol. I would suggest you add some highlights to tha hair. Maybe you can add some highlights like tint of gray/blue on the hair?

I didn't do colored highlights originally in fear of trending on Templar Assassin grounds. While I do like her hair matching the plume/pants color, I do think something's missing a bit. I'll experiment with blues and grays and see how they turn out.

Also, I'm getting some critiques on scrapping or shortening the pony tail. I don't want to break the silhouette but it's a suggestion that's been coming up. Should I keep it, scrap it, or shorten it?
  • tibbi
    I'm still wrestling with the croc club design.

Straps help eliminate the flappy limbs, but I haven't come up with a narrative to explain how a croc's soft under belly makes a good club.

Image11.jpg
  • Mantra
    tibbi wrote: »
    I'm still wrestling with the croc club design.

Straps help eliminate the flappy limbs, but I haven't come up with a narrative to explain how a croc's soft under belly makes a good club.

Image11.jpg

Hehe, it seems im not the only one abusing animals as weapons (I posted a hedgehog club concept earlier). My only thought to this is: where does the ball of fire go? Its kind of his trademark effect on the weapon, and Im not sure if loosing it is a good idea... Maybe in his open mouth, could be a tied up little dragon or something.
  • tibbi
    Ball of fire, I hadn't considered that. Well back to the drawing board:)

I really like the illustrations you do for your concept drawings. Very expressive.
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    good job Pierate, the model and normal map looks really fine but the color map could use a little more work.

KatarWpn_Texture_WIP_02_zpsc701e349.jpg

The parts where shiny gems and the blade meet should be bright red, not dark. The brown parts look like they are made of plain concrete but I think you are planning to make them look like steel.
  • Zaphk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Uliss wrote: »
    I have played PA couple of times, and i think that big ponytail will not fit well to her crispy shapes. And one more eyecatching thing: your middle haircut element seemed to small to pass so big hair volume (may be it looks so only for the first time).

Thanks for the feedback, Uliss! =]
    I agree with the middle part, I'll change it. Probably I'll stick with the big ponytail hahah but I'll make it a bit longer and not so "fat".
  • tibbi
    Trying a more conventional approach. Now accommodates fire.

Image16.jpg
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    reverendK:
    Thanks!

That round thing is an inverted crest, worry not, no bonnet for her, the helmet is supposed to be metallic.

More on it soon :)

tibbi:

Though I liked the idea of changing the base concept, it's looking more like an OM club now.

In order to make it a bit more like the last concept, you can add the tail as a pommel, it may look good.

Also, you can try putting back the arms in the upper part, but extended forward with claws wide open, what do you think?

Zaphk:

In my view, one of the signatures of PA is that 'aerodynamic' design she has, with those 'airfoil' ear things that sprout from the helmet and her curved shoulderpiece.

For the helmet, perhaps you can try extending the side tips of the mask and pushing them backwards to simulate this effect, as your helmet is looking good, but too round.

Robbiek1000:

First of all, nice concept and execution so far, it's looking very good.

I see a possible issue with that cloak though, she may end looking like the Drow Ranger.

As ingame they're both very similar in size and animations, I think it's important to make the PA characteristics more apparent.

You can try using the feathers to give that aerodinamic effect along with a nice ponytail-like thing, perhaps something in the shoulder area too, it may suffice to make it look more PA-ish =)

RossC:

I know the desing is intended to be minimalistic, but you can use some elements to make it richer, as a tiara, bandages or earrings.

The considerations about aerodynamic design still apply. This, this and this may give you some ideas ;)
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    @marul: I've definately had some trouble with both the reflecting light of the gems and the dark metal, the specular in the previous pic is also way off from what it will look like ingame. I'll work some more on those areas so thanks :)
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Rubus wrote: »

RossC

I know the desing is intended to be minimalistic, but you can use some elements to make it richer, as a tiara, bandages or earrings.

The considerations about aerodynamic design still apply. This, this and this may give you some ideas ;)

I can understand what you mean about fleshing out the design more, but I feel the more decorative ornaments would fit better on some of the more colorful heroes, like Lina for example. Mortred herself is kind of dirty and unclean as evidenced by the dirt and grime on her default armor. Which is why I went for the messy bangs/hair design.

Question though, what is the usual method of creating promotion renderings? The Dota Shaders aren't being friendly in 3D Studio Max, and all the default max shaders lose alot of the fidelity of the ingame shaders. Would using the Source Film Maker Model Viewer be the best bet?
  • tibbi
    Rubus, thank you for the ideas. I'll give them a try.
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    I'm trying to do some renders in the SFM model viewer but the models don't seem to have working textures. My model works fine. Investigating it I notice there's no vmt file from the files I extracted from a gcfscape. Is this normal? Do I have to create my own vmt file for the textures?
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    while working on the dark seer set , I decided to complete my phantom assasin set wich was missing the weapon :) .

637x358.resizedimage
    637x358.resizedimage
    637x358.resizedimage

workshop link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=138929769
  • tibbi
    OK all my flailing about has led to this. The Singing Toad. It's meant to be carved wood.

toad.jpg
  • Uliss
    What do you think about this?
    This will be only head custom. I am working on a set for DS in completely different style, but it will take more time, so for april may be this and some more single items.

2013_04_14_00006.jpg
    хостинг фотографий
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Submitted to Workshop!

Workshop Link:

5oxl2bf.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    tibbi: I liked the aligator one better , the frog one resembles to much with the one in the store IMO

Hope you dont mind, but I made a paintover the earlier one :).
  • tanka
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I'm trying to work on my concepting skills.. alot of my ideas are pretty hated by the dota community.. lol

So I'm thinking of doing a sort of armoured mage set for dark seer. Here's what I've come up with so far:

battlemage.jpg

I've been told that it looks makes him look like a protoss zealot. That wasnt my intention at all.. What do you guys think?
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    tanka wrote: »
    I'm trying to work on my concepting skills.. alot of my ideas are pretty hated by the dota community.. lol

So I'm thinking of doing a sort of armoured mage set for dark seer. Here's what I've come up with so far:

I've been told that it looks makes him look like a protoss zealot. That wasnt my intention at all.. What do you guys think?

Not bad. I'm working on a similar concept but yours seems better already.
  • Mantra
    tanka wrote: »

I made a Dark Seer set earlier with a similar concept.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=131993269
    I think his bone structure and color set is already pretty protoss-like, but i never considered that a bad thing. As long as its not a straight copy of a zealot it should be fine. His BIO says he was an army general, so a bit more armor fits his lore perfectly. The set looks great so far, keep it up.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    I call this pinapple head :D
    1zg6gr5.jpg
    I tried some variations of this ponytail, but this reads the best from distance. I will try to experiment with it later, however everything with detail was to noisy when zoom out.

Now some feedback for you guys :)
    @Pierate This weapon is super cool, smart use of texture space! I like it allot. In my opinion color of gems is good, it will be lighter after applying spec, self illuminations, glow etc anyway :) There is nice vertical gradient on weapon, however its so subtle that it will be lost in game, maybe you could try to make it stronger. However I am most curious how it will look in game :).

@Robbiek1000 Both version with or without feathers are cool. However I would go to one without and simplify those material folds on her hood. Folds could go from side button, however I would remove folds on upper part of the hood, or remade theme. Other than that I really like the idea.

@Rossc I would add some colored gradient to hair, and made it less glossy.

@Uliss Yess!! This headslot is fantastic. Pure awesomeness.

@tanka I like shoulder and arm armor. Maybe you could try to make something similar for his head with round gems and triangle detail.

Keep it up all!
  • tibbi
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    tibbi: I liked the aligator one better , the frog one resembles to much with the one in the store IMO

Hope you dont mind, but I made a paintover the earlier one :).

Well that's what I get for not doing my research. Thanks for letting me know.

You're paint over makes the stick idea work better.

I've tried yet another approach.

crocclub.jpg

A disclaimer because my drawing skill is still lacking; the croc is not now nor has it ever been alive. It's meant to be carved from something hard, suitable for smashing and delivering fiery blast. Hopefully my final render will reflect that.

The continued input on this project is very much appreciated. It's been a great learning experience for me.
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    A work in progress ,I think its really bussy atm and still have to add some highlights

2vslrsw.jpg
  • Uliss
    Which one is better? How do you think?
    [IMG][/img]2013_04_15_00001.jpg хостинг фотографий
  • Uliss
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    while working on the dark seer set , I decided to complete my phantom assasin set wich was missing the weapon :) .

637x358.resizedimage
    637x358.resizedimage
    637x358.resizedimage

workshop link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=138929769
    nice weapon. Reminds original one from the dota 1.
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4

right one.
  • tibbi

I like the orange. It strengthens the design and ties into the orange already present in the model.
  • Uliss
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Alright, how is this?

Degreased the hair, added a color gradient that matches her helmet/armor rather than her pants and made the point light map less subtle. Not sure if I should tone down the rimlight shaders or specular more? I made it focus more on where light would be hitting the hair rather than everywhere.

kIxRK5I.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13

I'm partial to the one on the left.
  • tibbi
    Letting the club simmer for a bit while I play around with some ideas for PA.

Image58.jpg

Image9.jpg
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    dsWIP05.jpg
    some progress. I'm going to rework the belt and the back from my original concept - the former because i didn't have a solid plan for it, the latter because i discovered while rigging that it just wasn't going to skin up well. wish me luck. I'll likely be writing the set off as another learning experience, but i'll get it done anyways.

for future reference - don't concept in Max :P
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    RossC wrote: »
    Alright, how is this?

Degreased the hair, added a color gradient that matches her helmet/armor rather than her pants and made the point light map less subtle. Not sure if I should tone down the rimlight shaders or specular more? I made it focus more on where light would be hitting the hair rather than everywhere.

kIxRK5I.jpg

Her fringe doesn't look very appealing to me right now.. it reminds me of fingers. Like a hand is grabbing her forehead or something. All too uniform and evenly spaced.

Try to look up some styles of fringes/bangs to get some good reference to copy. I have no problems with the rest of the hair style.

Also not sure if this is final but your spec needs restrictions. Like only place white in your spec where the hair will naturally highlight more. Like on the tops of curves and in tight controlled strand lines. Having it 100% white makes it look like its covered in apoxy.
    A good way to start is to add your AO to your spec map. It aint gonna shine in crevasses!
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    presculpt blocky-outy for the new back. rigged first this time. see? i'm learning :)

dsWIP06.jpg
  • Mantra
    Quick update on my forest hermit ogre. Sculpting is not my strong suit, but I think I got enough detail now to make it work in-game. At some places like on the belt and back it might look funny, along the edges, Im planning to create a more ragged edge with the colormap alpha channel. Any suggestions are welcome. Meanwhile I'll start sculpting the hedgehog-club.

Sculpt_Body-full_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg