Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop unnoficial monthly competition - APRIL

Replies

• Paskie
    Think i'll throw in a PA weapon too. Quick sketching, think i'll go for this type of form.

0QvzV26.jpg
  • shellnut
    lol. sorry. wrong thread post :)
  • bozza
    I think the bracer is done, might rework the texture a bit, but decided to continue the bone theme and see if i can get a set done. Im happy with the belt, but not sure where to go with the shoulder/back and head, still WIP.

UTmZTjE.png
    uP0yzN4.png
  • Don Don
    After a lot of struggling, I wasn't feeling the direction of the rest of the set, and will settle for just a single item for Ogre Magi, the Lucky Double Hoodie:

04-08-2013_ogremagiWIP06.jpg

Probably going to put it aside and open it again in a few days for some tweaks.
  • tibbi
    I'm new to Polycount, Dota and pretty new to 3D.

I decided to get my feet wet with this contest. I'm working on a club for Ogre Magi.

Concept sketch

view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asccroc.jpg

Starting the high poly sculpt.

Image71.jpg

view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Tibbi.
    I like the idea a lot, but I think unless you manage to explain the gator's stiffness in the texture some how you should think about wrapping it up in something...otherwise you'd expect it's arms and legs to flail about a bit.
    maybe get it tied to a stick with some leather straps or somesuch nonsense. Sculpt looks fun though :)
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    2C2sprO.png

Any thoughts before retopo and stuff? It's supposed to be a Dark Seer kind of circlet/gem/thingy, like his "third eye", since he's all for "intelligence over strength".
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the oblong portion of the "eye" could use some more embellishment - it's a little plain
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    really motivating entries
    tennis racket for ogre magi almost done, flat render from blender
    4gruv.jpg
    any critique would be appreciated
  • Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great! Does it have baked normals?
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    nope, hand painted stuff, will work on normals tommorow
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    reverendK wrote: »
    I think the oblong portion of the "eye" could use some more embellishment - it's a little plain

Yeah, it was indeed looking pretty basic. I tried adding some swirls thingies, looks much better now IMO.

qz3QMm9.png

Still touching it up a bit, meanwhile I'm open for more suggestions.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    It definitely looks better, but i'm wondering about the scale. Is this for his head? if it's going to be that small in-game you might want to rethink a bit of the design work to get something visibly appealing at that scale.
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    It definitely looks better, but i'm wondering about the scale. Is this for his head? if it's going to be that small in-game you might want to rethink a bit of the design work to get something visibly appealing at that scale.

Yeah, it's kind of circlet or something like that, here's the base mesh:

GonEXc9.png

And here is it with the main part a bit bigger:

sJUDNON.png

I'm not sure if it'll look as good in-game, but my main concern is the portrait, and I'm focusing on making it look great there, while also having some colors like gold to make it stand out on the small model in-game.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    Wpn_Concept_02.png

Here's what I'm planning for this months competition, a weapon for PA for those who can't tell. I'll probably have to do some tests to make sure the parts that should go along the arm works out well enough.

Keep it up everyone, some great stuff in here so far :)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Nannou wrote: »
    A small set for void is done. Rate if you like :)

Clicky
    void%20present.jpg

I like it :D
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Paskie wrote: »
    Think i'll throw in a PA weapon too. Quick sketching, think i'll go for this type of form.

0QvzV26.jpg

hey paskie, that round tip looks to fragile for a weapon, besides that i like the concept =]

you could also make a more contrasting blade, is even and on the entire model, you could play a little with it
    tibbi wrote: »
    I'm new to Polycount, Dota and pretty new to 3D.

I decided to get my feet wet with this contest. I'm working on a club for Ogre Magi.

Concept sketch

view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asccroc.jpg

Starting the high poly sculpt.

Image71.jpg

the suggestion on the stiffness is really nice

another suggestion i would like to give is to try to keep the club sillhouette, that big and round tip like the weight of it is enough to be an weapon
    riceart wrote: »
    really motivating entries
    tennis racket for ogre magi almost done, flat render from blender
    4gruv.jpg
    any critique would be appreciated

welcome to our competition, i should have said that when i unlocked your first post =]

great work, you started really well

if i may suggest i dont think the logo on the racket fit the art style, we dont have as far as i know, any valve logo inside the game

the rest is really amazing, i would like to know how is your worksflow to make the normals after the difuse
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    penOr wrote: »
    Made a PA weapon, and happened to start it just before the monthly competition =)

60586198C5A8E598351B49D204B97E34C2EBD58A

I don't think it suits PA too well (too bulky), but wanted to complete it.

@Blupanda - Man that set looks great, the orange color really works well in-game

congrats on finishing it, dont worry if you are fully satisfied with it, you can improve on the next one =]
    Nannou wrote: »
    A small set for void is done. Rate if you like :)

Clicky
    void%20present.jpg

great Nannou! awesome set

both added to the first post
  • tibbi
    Thanks reverendk and Tvidotto for the suggestions:) I made a quick sketch trying some new ideas. Getting closer?

Image78.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    tibbi wrote: »
    Thanks reverendk and Tvidotto for the suggestions:) I made a quick sketch trying some new ideas. Getting closer?

Image78.jpg

You could add an oversized tortoise in its mouth to give it that hard end .:)
  • Paskie
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    hey paskie, that round tip looks to fragile for a weapon, besides that i like the concept =]

you could also make a more contrasting blade, is even and on the entire model, you could play a little with it

Yup, will make it a little denser around the tip. Will post the highpoly later tonight if i'll get something good going.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    So far, so good.

2QWjJUU.jpg

Not sure why normals are screwed up on Marmoset, they're completely fine (at least apparently).

I plan on painting the big eye part as some gold-ish color, not sure about the backpiece, maybe orange or something. I'm accepting suggestions.

I'm having some issues compiling it, and I'm pretty sure they're related to bones. Every time I try to compile after binding the bones with Maya (selecting head_1, then the mesh, Smooth Bind, select both and then export selection as .FBX), if I open it after doing this, I can see it also saved the beard and spine bones, and when I try to import it fails. I tried doing it through Blender, and while the import works, the item just floats away pretty far from the character. Am I missing something?
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    belkun wrote: »
    So far, so good.

2QWjJUU.jpg

Not sure why normals are screwed up on Marmoset, they're completely fine (at least apparently).

I plan on painting the big eye part as some gold-ish color, not sure about the backpiece, maybe orange or something. I'm accepting suggestions.

I'm having some issues compiling it, and I'm pretty sure they're related to bones. Every time I try to compile after binding the bones with Maya (selecting head_1, then the mesh, Smooth Bind, select both and then export selection as .FBX), if I open it after doing this, I can see it also saved the beard and spine bones, and when I try to import it fails. I tried doing it through Blender, and while the import works, the item just floats away pretty far from the character. Am I missing something?

When the object floats far away from the character, does it still appear to be attached to the bone? I have no experience with compiling with Maya or Blender, but I know that this is a problem in 3DSMAX when compiling that deals with the object's pivot/hierarchy. You usually have to reset the object's pivot to get it to react correctly with the bones you attach.
  • Mantra
    The low poly base meshes are done, off to sculpting! Has anyone a good technique for fur?

Bioth_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    i typically use a combination of clay tubes, dam standard and trim dynamic, but that's more to get the shape of larger chunks of hair, especially for something stylized...i love that hedgehog(?) on the club right now. It amuses me deep inside.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    belkun wrote: »
    So far, so good.

2QWjJUU.jpg

If the normals in marmoset are screwed up they probably are! Most of the time I test my models in marmoset to look if the normals are all correct, because in some 3d programs it's hard to see. Make sure you have the correct smoothing on your model, or if you use mirrored parts that you change the normals correctly..

If the item floads far from the character, try to change the pivit point from the object. Was having this issue too since the last update. Or in 3ds max you can select the use working pivot, it should be at your root bone.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    This is getting pretty annoying...

I managed to bind everything right, imported it successfully on the right place, but there's still a problem (as always). If I select the LOD1 on both in-game and portrait geometry, it import it flawlessly, but with the LOD1 geometry on portrait of course. If I try to import both LOD1 for in-game and LOD0 for the portrait, the import fails. They were bound and exported both the exact same way, and still, for some reason, the import just fails when selecting the LOD0.

Anyway, here's the progress so far:

JiVHkyN.png

Not too happy with the colors, still fiddling with it a bit.
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Can we get a shot of this on Dark Seer? I'd love to see how it fits and looks with the character model as an actual reference
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    hopgood wrote: »
    Can we get a shot of this on Dark Seer? I'd love to see how it fits and looks with the character model as an actual reference

Sure!

BTW, masks aren't done yet.

rjiSmOF.png

m2i30KN.png

CZ2Ev9w.png
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks,

My only criticism is that much of the finer details you spend time refining in the sculpt don't translate that well into the game engine due to the texture and visual size. Those blue runes read quite well on the portrait shot but the runes around the gem itself are barely visible in the portrait and most of the runes are hard to define in the game camera.

The colours work pretty well though but you could experiment with different colours on the gem to see if anything works better and doesn't get "lost" so much in the dominant purple of his body.

Larger and bolder shapes in the sculpt will translate much better to the in game engine. It can also be a good idea to import a quick mockup of your bash mesh into the engine before the sculpt to get a feeling of how much visual space you have to work with.
    I managed to bind everything right, imported it successfully on the right place, but there's still a problem (as always). If I select the LOD1 on both in-game and portrait geometry, it import it flawlessly, but with the LOD1 geometry on portrait of course. If I try to import both LOD1 for in-game and LOD0 for the portrait, the import fails. They were bound and exported both the exact same way, and still, for some reason, the import just fails when selecting the LOD0.
    What's the actual error message you are getting here?

Hope any of this helps.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    hopgood wrote: »
    Thanks,

My only criticism is that much of the finer details you spend time refining in the sculpt don't translate that well into the game engine due to the texture and visual size. Those blue runes read quite well on the portrait shot but the runes around the gem itself are barely visible in the portrait and most of the runes are hard to define in the game camera.

The colours work pretty well though but you could experiment with different colours on the gem to see if anything works better and doesn't get "lost" so much in the dominant purple of his body.

Larger and bolder shapes in the sculpt will translate much better to the in game engine. It can also be a good idea to import a quick mockup of your bash mesh into the engine before the sculpt to get a feeling of how much visual space you have to work with.

What's the actual error message you are getting here?

Hope any of this helps.

Thanks for all the feedback and help!

I'm still mostly experimenting with things, this item for instance is a lot better than my last one, and I hope to improve even more on the next.

Here's the log:
    Starting compile of dark_seer_head_test2...
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2_color.tga
     - Compilation successful.
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2_color.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2_normal.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2_normal.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2_mask1.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2_mask1.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2_mask2.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2_mask2.vtf
    Compiling VMT: materials\models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2.vmt
    CTargetVMT::Compile OK! - materials\models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2.vmt
    Compiling DMX: models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2_lod1.dmx
    Compiling QC: models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2.qc
    Compiling MDL: models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2.mdl
    CTargetMDL::Compile NO FILE! - c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2.mdl
    CTargetMDL::Compile( dark_seer_head_test2.mdl ) - CheckFile failed - "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2.mdl"
    CTargetMDL::Compile Failed - c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\dark_seer\0x01d7158a\dark_seer_head_test2\dark_seer_head_test2.mdl

This only happens when I select LOD0 on Portrait Geometry. I tried (and still am) to change how I bind, checking for any errors, but it still keeps screwing up.

I'll try to do it on Max a bit later.

EDIT

I did it!

fsbe6gt.png

Not sure what was screwing it up, but this time I imported the .MA file instead of the .FBX, deleted every geometry, imported my model, selected both the head_01 joint and the mesh, used Smooth Bind to Selected Joints with everything else default, changed FBX to 2009 and removed animations, lights, etc. and then just exported and it worked!

Now to figure out the masks!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Sgk9arD.jpg

Any suggestions? I think it's pretty much done.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    You might try making the jewel a little emissive - tis getting lost on the in-game scale.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    You might try making the jewel a little emissive - tis getting lost on the in-game scale.

I added some selfillum, it was even brighter before, but I thought it was too much.

I'll do revisions to it tomorrow, but for now, here is it on the workshop!

QEV3Qtr.jpg
  • Zaphk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Working on her head piece again, the previous one isn't working =___=
    And the ponytail thing was too much similar to the original in game.
    Crits are welcome!
    7JSKmYy.jpg
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    More or less finished the base mesh for our PA set.
    Although seeing Zaphk work I see that I will need to work twice as hard to be even close to awesomeness of your set :)
    mslc9.jpg
  • tibbi
    Thanks to mihalceanu I had another idea for a club.

snap.jpg
  • Robbiek1000
    feathers or no feathers in the hood?

PA_Feathers_WiP_1_zps66341fba.jpg
  • PoPcorn
    Here is my first entry for this month. A helm for Phantom Assasin.

PhantomCrownPresentation_zps5051c57e.jpg

7a2f2c25-7547-4dbe-8e11-6c105d36936b_zps485abd8b.jpg

Now onto Darkseer and Ogre Magi
  • Paskie

Both look great!
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i'd go without them - it gets a little busy and they're fighting with the flow of shapes a bit.
  • PoPcorn
    I agree that the feathers make it a bit too busy.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    I would lose all the feathers, it will give it a more windrunner look also if the colors are completely diffrerent. I'm not really seeing the feathers and Phantom Assasin combination to be honost.

Maybe remove them completely and keep the detail in the hood and cloth?
    The sculp is looking great so far!
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the presence of feathers could still work for the character, specifically if they were dark - say crow feathers or something.

A minor update from me just to prove i've been working :P
    dsWIP04.jpg

I'm kind of dragging. Must pick up pace!
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Finishing up the sculpt:

Yjt4zOp.jpg

@Robbiek1000:

I'd go with only the feathers on the top of the hood. Like others have said the less noise look looks better. I agree with it looking a bit windrunner-y but I think any type of trim would help your model out, especially when it comes to adding some color to it, so I'd keep the feathers, atleast in the shoulders. Maybe try and make the feathers more dirty and scattered? I think when you add color to it it will be easier to variate it away from being Windrunner like.

Does the hood clip with the normal shoulders? How is the model distributed? It seems a bit thick to cause some clipping. Incredible sculpt so far.

@PoPcorn:

I'm a bit weirded out, the first render looks like the textures are too noisy and grainy/realistic to follow Dota 2's art style, but the later ingame renders look fine. Maybe it's the lower resolution smudging in the details? It's a little noisy but it still reads well ingame.

I think the pony tail can be a bit more vertical, Its silhouette looks a bit stiff, try and utilize all the bones! Other than that it looks really awesome!

@Konras

This looks weird and kind of crazy for Phantom Assassin, but I'm still interested on how it'll turn out in the sculpt. Never hurts to be unique.

@Zaphk

The new sculpt looks great! The new ponytail is crazy, but I think it compliments the head piece better.
  • PoPcorn
    RossC wrote: »
    Finishing up the sculpt:
    @PoPcorn:

I'm a bit weirded out, the first render looks like the textures are too noisy and grainy/realistic to follow Dota 2's art style, but the later ingame renders look fine. Maybe it's the lower resolution smudging in the details? It's a little noisy but it still reads well ingame.

I think the pony tail can be a bit more vertical, Its silhouette looks a bit stiff, try and utilize all the bones! Other than that it looks really awesome!

I probably did over detail my high res texture a little, but once it's re sized I think it looks ok in game.

I'll take a look at the ponytail again tomorrow. I thought it looked fine in motion, but I can see what you mean by it looking stiff in the image.
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7

I think the presence of feathers could still work for the character, specifically if they were dark - say crow feathers or something.

A minor update from me just to prove i've been working :P
    dsWIP04.jpg

I'm kind of dragging. Must pick up pace!

I agree with reverendK, some dark theme could work very well with her. I don't like the feather composition of the hood much though, I would try to use some really big black feathers, mostly pointing downwards or backwards. I also don't like the idea of a hood very much, helm is kinda her thing.

@reverendK: Looking really unique and great. I'm looking forward to see the finished sculpt.
  • Uliss
    Zaphk wrote: »
    Working on her head piece again, the previous one isn't working =___=
    And the ponytail thing was too much similar to the original in game.
    Crits are welcome!
    7JSKmYy.jpg
    I have played PA couple of times, and i think that big ponytail will not fit well to her crispy shapes. And one more eyecatching thing: your middle haircut element seemed to small to pass so big hair volume (may be it looks so only for the first time).
  • Robbiek1000
    marul wrote: »
    I agree with reverendK, some dark theme could work very well with her. I don't like the feather composition of the hood much though, I would try to use some really big black feathers, mostly pointing downwards or backwards. I also don't like the idea of a hood very much, helm is kinda her thing.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yes, the hood (and entire set) is a little further out there than usual, but I thought I'd take a gamble and just see how the dota community takes to it. I'm just not a huge fan of an armor clad assassin so I decided to go a different, more risky direction with it. However if people on the workshop hate it I'll try and rework it the best I can based on feedback.

I'll try some different things with the feathers tonight in the hood. Currently, I'm on the fence about the feathers on the hood which is why I decided to ask you all here. I think they have potential and could help pull the shoulder and head items together. I just need to find a more elegant solution for them. (Hopefully)