Home Technical Talk

Max vs. Modo

mobpapst
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
mobpapst polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys,

i tested these day's a bit with modo. I worked before with max. What the exactly difference or plus to use modo instead of max? Iam not seeing any huge aspects for modo to get used at all.

Please tell me your facts and experiences.

Greetz

Replies

• joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    uh, the price to start with ?
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah! Price is major modo advantage.
    I'd choose 3ds max if they were priced the same.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you've tried MODO and don't see a reason to use it, then maybe it's not for you. Me? I wouldn't use anything else.
  • mobpapst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    y, the price is quite an argument. but my statement was related to the content. I saw a video of one guy who used quite many bool operations and it seemed that no n-gon clean up is needed. but i cant get it how sth like this shall work fine with a reduced lp in a game
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    You either like it or not.

Also there are tons of useful scripts, check them out - http://www.indigosm.com/modoscripts.htm

This one in particular helps me a lot - http://www.indigosm.com/modo/alignFit_new.mov

But there are tons of other good scripts like these:

GSPDNLk6I4EgBOzI

You can find more examples here:
    http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=37&t=67482

about 50% of my tools in Modo are scripts. Without them I'd probably work in Max or Blender.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Long time max user here. I learned a bit of Modo earlier this year. Stuff that i saw in Modo that i wish Max had:

- mesh fusion (some people say to avoid it but when you see artists like Tor Frick use it then it can't be that bad)

- fall offs

There is other stuff that Modo does better out of the box like retopo tools, work planes, uv mapping, rendering. But these are things that can be fixed with the right scripts and plugins in max.

With that said i couldn't really get warm with the Modo workflow even after a couple weeks. It took an extensive amount of customizing to make it feel less clunky.

What i miss most in Modo compared to Max is the stack and the modifiers. The modo workflow is very destructive so better save a lot of iterations in case you need to go back.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Watch this for a bit, see if you start feeling a tingling sensation in your underpants.

http://www.twitch.tv/torfrick/profile/past_broadcasts
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the stack is the single biggest difference when it comes to modeling in max vs modo. I know a lot of max guys really struggle to give up the stack, and I can see why.

On the other hand, I feel like the everyday normal operation of pretty much everything(again outside of the stack, which is a huge component of using max), especially out of the box like mentioned above, modo feels better. But I've been using Modo for a long time so I'm biased.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    dzibarik wrote: »
    You either like it or not.

Also there are tons of useful scripts, check them out - http://www.indigosm.com/modoscripts.htm

This one in particular helps me a lot - http://www.indigosm.com/modo/alignFit_new.mov

But there are tons of other good scripts like these:

GSPDNLk6I4EgBOzI

You can find more examples here:
    http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=37&t=67482

about 50% of my tools in Modo are scripts. Without them I'd probably work in Max or Blender.

curve loops, i use it in max all the time... so really nothing unique to modo ;)
  • Niong108
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Niong108 null
    Here and there some tools work better in modo than in 3ds max, but on the other side the same can be told for some tools in 3ds max (for instance the bevel and bridge tool are better in modo than their counter tools in max but the cut and snapping/aligning tools in max are better than the modo ones). Some people say 3ds max uv tools are bad but I like them, i have my workflow (with TexTools) and i can get things done. UV-ing in modo has been often praised but it is an unfinished tool with good ideas - dont even think UVing without etereas uv tools and some scripts. Out of the box both apps have a lot deficiencies and that is why we have tons of scripts and plugins for them.

The main strength of 3ds max over modo, in my opinion, is the sense of control you have (modifiers, lots of parametric tools which can be undoed). In modo somehow things can easily get weird and out of control so you have to be careful.
    I use both:) sometimes i rant about modo and sometimes about 3ds max...

However if you are into Archviz 3ds max could suit you better (i have never tried mArch for modo so maybe it can bring a huge difference.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    Does Max have a 3rd party plugin/script that is similar to Modo's mesh fusion?
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    curve loops, i use it in max all the time... so really nothing unique to modo ;)

I'm slowly learning Max again so I would appreciate if you share the technique.

My main complaint about Max is its interface. Out of all modelling packages Max is the hardest to deal with for me. Modelling stack though...
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does Maya have that curve loop thing? Looks real decent.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm slowly learning Max again so I would appreciate if you share the technique.

My main complaint about Max is its interface. Out of all modelling packages Max is the hardest to deal with for me. Modelling stack though...

Not sure it's a standard feature in max but the Rappatools plugin has it, which i can only highly recommend to any max user either way.

bI9ODPh.gif
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rappatools is a fantastic toolkit and I plan to buy it if Ihave to deal with Max a lot but I thought we were talking about some standard feature here.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The MODO version isn't standard either, to be fair. It's a script someone wrote.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, it's not that Modo is superior somehow, I was just confused that I somehow overlooked some cool features in Max. Modo definitely has a long way to go. Symmetry is better in Max and I like Cut tool better in Max than Edge slice in Modo.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if I'd say MODO has a long way to go. Game devs use it every day for making high end content. It's lacking in some areas, but all apps are in some way.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like Cut tool better in Max than Edge slice in Modo.

Same here.

But to add one thing that i like better in Modo over Max is working with the subdivided view of the mesh. In max that can be slow framerate wise and hard to see where to select edges and vertices so i switch a lot more back and forth to see what i'm doing.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah modo is built to run in isoline mode and does it very well.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    Does Max have a 3rd party plugin/script that is similar to Modo's mesh fusion?

Anybody?
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I don't know if I'd say MODO has a long way to go. Game devs use it every day for making high end content. It's lacking in some areas, but all apps are in some way.

Yes, there is no perfect tool. Just the one that suits you better. I wonder how flexible Modo SDK is. I'm constantly writing down ideas for scripts.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I also wouldnt say Modo has a long ways to... feature wise. What it needs to do probably isnt easy, but its mostly adding and enhancing whats present as opposed to creating a new feature altogether. Maya for example, cant really say it has a capable sculpting or texture painting aspect to it, nor does it have the modeling features of Modo.

The top of my list includes a much better viewport, its not very good for previewing game art, as it feels far more product designer centric.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed on the viewport. I think they just way overcomplicated their shader system early on and now we're stuck with it. I don't see it getting thrown out and redone anytime soon...
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure it's a standard feature in max but the Rappatools plugin has it, which i can only highly recommend to any max user either way.

bI9ODPh.gif

That exists in max since they added the graphite modeling tools.
    It's under loop tools.
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    Sooo how about Maya vs Modo? The only 3D app I've known is Maya, and I'm really thinking about making that switch. It's not like I use the rendering/baking/animation/rigging in Maya anyway.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I dunno. I was showing some of the guys at work around max recently and they started squealing with delight.

In fairness theyre all maya users so they haven't seen an advance in modelling tools since 2005 - I worry it might have been too much for them actually..

I tried and quite liked modo but didnt seen any reason to move over from max - its a hell of a step up from maya and id much rather be using it for making stuff though.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    poopipe wrote: »
    I tried and quite liked modo but didnt seen any reason to move over from max - its a hell of a step up from maya and id much rather be using it for making stuff though.

Like someone mentioned before, there are some longtime Max users that are migrating from Max to Modo for modeling purpose because of the fluidity, the flow and organization related to Modo. Max is a great powerful tool but the infrastructure of the modeling module isn't really helping speed and intuitivity. There's a few things i could say Max does better than Modo, but it's easily workable with some smarts and good plugins.
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    Hermit wrote: »
    I can't confirm this, but I doubt that most 3D artists are excited when they model stuff in 3DS Max or Maya. I think they can't wait to see the final product, but they might not enjoy the whole journey as much as they should.

Well, it's seems to be very different with both Zbrush and Modo. For some reasons, 3D artists seem to be super excited to spend time in those softwares, probably because both are better designed and more about providing a more efficiant and less frustrating workflow.

Actually this illustrates my situation quite well, even though I still use Max and Maya from time to time. Not super crazy about the stack either, as I end up collapsing it a lot anyway, but I recognize there are some unique stuff you can do in Max because of the stack.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, there is no perfect tool. Jusaone that suits you better. I wonder how flexible Modo SDK is. I'm constantly writing down ideas for scripts.
    Depends what you want to do with it. You can technically do a lot with it, especially if you take the C++ route rather than the relatively-early-days Python API.

Documentation is pretty thin on the ground on some features of it, and what's there is fairly opaque to new users until you start to understand how MODO's infrastructure works.

I've only really gotten into UV and vertex normals, but there a lot more complex stuff can do.
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    For me most annoying thing in Max is lack of proper camera based selection.

For example, let's say we want to select couple of faces here:

Scr1.1392586818.png

in any other package it works as expected.

But in 3ds Max we get this:

Scr2.1392586829.png

WTF!?

Max ignores faces based on their normals, but not actual visibility to camera. Now imagine working with complicated model or mesh with a lot of polygon islands... You would need to hide parts of the model or constantly deselect unwanted components, either way it's clunky, tedious and waste of time.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farfarer wrote: »
    Depends what you want to do with it. You can technically do a lot with it, especially if you take the C++ route rather than the relatively-early-days Python API.

Documentation is pretty thin on the ground on some features of it, and what's there is fairly opaque to new users until you start to understand how MODO's infrastructure works.

I've only really gotten into UV and vertex normals, but there a lot more complex stuff can do.

Yeah, I have this impression that there's a lot of power there but the documentation is so anemic that it's really hard to dig into anything. I know how to code, so that's not the issue ... It's just the SDK is really lacking in examples of, well, anything to get you started.
  • mobpapst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with many of your arguments. I want to take another topic into this discussion. I always related Modo automaticly with MeshFusion. I know that Meshfusion can be a part of Modo but i dont find any good examples tutorials or ways how to work with and how to use it all way to a final game asset that works with a low polycount and maps etc.

Does any of you already have experience on this field and how to get a good start with MeshFusion?
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used Modo for a project of mine:https://www.behance.net/gallery/7223049/Canon-A1. I thought I could use another modeling package some day and modo's UI looked friendly and very easy on the eyes.

Getting around the tools is a bit weird as modo breaks its own set of rules sometimes but it wasn't a major issue. However, what really started as a fairly smooth experience and ended as a "walk to the cross" was the snapping: Good God that thing is bad. At least it was and 801 has improved but it has lots of catchup to do, especially when you have lots of background geometry. I also felt like there was too much needless clicking sometimes and as pointed out by other users the destructive nature of modo is its biggest drawback. Making constant backups of pieces cluttered the file even more and crashes aside I was eager to go back to 3DSMAX. I modeled around 99% in modo but a last tiny piece in the lens pushed me to finish in 3DSMAX and render it there. Another thing, that shader tree needs to go and be replaced by a nodal system.

However, not everything is bad in modo: The UI is second to none to me, only a few things that I do not like but in general it is very pleasing to use for extended periods of time. The falloffs are nice and I can see how some people use them a lot. The workplanes and the flow speed are modo's strongest points IMO even though Rappatools level up the field. One thing is for sure, if I had to choose between Maya (learning Maya atm) or Modo I'd go Modo all the way. As ironic as it sounds modo does better when precision is not required, modeling organic stuff seems to be what it was made for despite all the Luxology marketing aimed at industrial design assets.

You are not in bad hands with modo, but be aware of its weak points as they can be hair-pulling. But hey, Maya modeling tools are a tragedy in comparison.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    dr grim wrote: »
    especially when you have lots of background geometry.
    If you aren't aware you can set snapping to take into account the active layer only, background layer only, or both. Check under snapping options (F11). But yeah it could be improved for sure.
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    If you aren't aware you can set snapping to take into account the active layer only, background layer only, or both. Check under snapping options (F11). But yeah it could be improved for sure.

Yeah, I know. I didn't want to go into details in my previous post because it wasn't the point. That F11 menu is a royal hassle too anyways.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dr grim wrote: »
    That F11 menu is a royal hassle too anyways.

yes, I ended up creating a separate pie menu with presets for this and a hotkey to clear all snapping options.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do think the snapping 801 is very nice and totally usable ... but yes, you still have to set up presets and hot keys and all that because constantly changing the snapping settings each time you want to use them SUCKS.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Nox: i agree ray cast selection would be great to have
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Choose whichever program you're familiar with and in-which you're more comfortable with using the UI. At the end of the day you're doing the work, the program is there to facilitate in your goals, comparing one program to another is like comparing apples and pears.

Each is good in their own right, and if you learn and adopt a workflow in one of these applications then it doesn't matter which program you use.

:thumbup:
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Choose whichever program you're familiar with and in-which you're more comfortable with using the UI. At the end of the day you're doing the work, the program is there to facilitate in your goals, comparing one program to another is like comparing apples and pears.

Each is good in their own right, and if you learn and adopt a workflow in one of these applications then it doesn't matter which program you use.

:thumbup:

that is not true at all, some programs are clearly better suited for certain tasks then others.

all programms have advantages and drawbacks and asking for guidance is a natural thing to do.
    there is nothing wrong with trying to speed up your workflow by using the application that is best suited for that task, and not just staying where you feel comfortable.

on the original topic: i have never used modo so no idea.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Certainly doesn't hurt to look into other applications and see what's out there. While i didn't stuck with modo for the time being working with it still gave me some good ideas how to improve my workflow in max. For instance after seeing how well the work planes do their job i'm using now the active grid tool from RappaTools all the time in my max workflow.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    The more I look at modo, the more I think it's the future over max and maya. It even has intuitive native colorspace management ... so many good features, implemented in an intelligent way.
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks wrote: »
    so many good features, implemented in an intelligent way.

On the other hand there are also lots of basic features implemented in most awkward and counterintuitive way. Symmetry and smoothing groups to name a few.
    Modo is nice software but I expected much more hearing about its wonderful modeling tools and knowing the fact it started as a dedicated modeling tool.
    Sure it's a good choice giving it is more than two times cheaper than Max.

Still I feel the industry lacks small and efficient content creation software which can only do modeling and uv'ing but do it perfectly. And which costs less because there is no need to pay for stuff game artists don't need.
    Modo could have become this software but Luxology decided to develop it into "jack of all trades" instead.
    Silo could have become it but it was abandoned.
    I have certain hopes for Nvil. It's only drawback is being terribly slow.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zbrush 4r7 looks like could be a decent polygonal modeler?
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really hope so! Can't wait to try it actually.
    I'm afraid it can turn out to be "modelling with mittens on" as someone here said.
    Nevertheless I like videos a lot!
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    DireWolf wrote: »
    Zbrush 4r7 looks like could be a decent polygonal modeler?

with zbrushs history i'd say that is nigh impossible.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to agree. At least for this first version. This will be clunky and sort of functional. I think a few versions from now, if they keep working on it, it could be cool.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yeah the stack is the single biggest difference when it comes to modeling in max vs modo. I know a lot of max guys really struggle to give up the stack, and I can see why.

On the other hand, I feel like the everyday normal operation of pretty much everything(again outside of the stack, which is a huge component of using max), especially out of the box like mentioned above, modo feels better. But I've been using Modo for a long time so I'm biased.

This. I feel the pull of the stack, but then I realise I can just do the precise thing I need usually in fewer operations in modo. It really is growing on me as I use it more.

If the price was equal though I would pick max just for productivity reasons, but I am steadily drifting over to the other side. :)
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    How easy would it be to make this shape in Modo, regardless of the workflow used to achieve it?
    Ignore the shape itself, still working on it.
    Still not sure if I can live without the modifiers :(

4cCJz83l.png
    FUbsSlhl.png