Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SKIFFY's WIP thread. Old and New projects

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Skiffy polycounter lvl 15
Hello everyone,

I'm starting this thread so I can collect all my random projects in one place and finally get around to finishing them all up! I will be posting more images soon but here are a few shots from of the more recent thumb sculpts and lowpoly models that I've been nibbling on the weekend. I need to finish at least 1 of these every month if I can manage!

Cheers and let the polygons flow!

Bile Demon - This sucker was my first foray into using Dynamesh. I liked the result so much I felt I needed to take it further. I have to finish up some detailing on his tail still and then get to work on the face. That area needs some more refinement plus I need to separate out and make some actual teeth instead of the suggested shapes that it currently has. There is a little work left on the upper arm as well. But once I have those covered then I can Retopo and do a nice detail sculpture. At which point the usual Lowpoly / Baking and texturing will follow!

Demon_Belly_WIP.jpg

Demon_Belly_WIP_02.jpg

This sucker is basically an offshoot of another monster which could come from the same level of hell or something like that. There is a good amount of work left on him before I can move on to retopo and detail sculpting. For one he will have more asymmetrical. I want to make one of his arms a crazy tentacle tong with spiky barbs coming from yet another mouth of sorts.

Demon_Mawlock_WIP.jpg

This next model is a cool fish I designed and built during a lowpoly workshop I gave at a art school here in Malaysia. This model is actually complete. It will be a pure diffuse only asset once I am done with it. I might post the model if anyone wants to texture it as well.

Fish_Workshop_LP.jpg

This is some big brute type creature I've started up. Liking the mass he has already. Very early of course but interesting to take it further.

Brutish_Blockout_Wip.jpg

Here we have a Paul Bonner inspired monster / Guard character which I started on before the fun of Dynamesh. I plan to finish up a nice Sub_D base mesh before taking it further.

Beast_Guard_Wip.jpg

This one... I think I was mainly just playing around with brushes and re-topology approaches. Could be interesting to finish it off properly as a bust piece maybe. Crazy bug head / Hornet Nest type thing.

Bug_Head_Bust_Wip.jpg

Wow this one has been on ice for a few years... I like the idea but he needs some serious updates on many fronts. We'll see where I take this guy. The idea was to have some sort of dolphin / aquatic hybrid alien. Maybe the fish is his pet :P

Spike_Fishguy_Wip.jpg

That's it for the moment. I might find some more things as I dig through my drives auditing the many projects I started on over the last few years. Now I just need to see if any of them are worth continuing.

Cheers!

Replies

• BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Very fun characters! Nice work.

- BoBo
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Now to take them from doodles to completion! Especially with Bobo watching... eep
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Awe man, great stuff.

I'm going to watch the heck out of this thread =)
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    cool! some interesting designs here, nice work
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings all,

Well I found a few moments to spare this evening. I nibbled away on the big brutish fellow and felt like going the Pascal Blanch
  • jeroenbackx
    Offline / Send Message
    jeroenbackx polycounter lvl 7
    You're great at these very pronounced organic shapes. The forms are exaggerated and contrasting but still well balanced. Its very convincing stuff, can't wait to see the finished thing. Now go and finish these before posting any more wip's heheh :-)
  • Mr Smo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    nice work man! please do put the fish up for some SDK loving :)
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good, I love how much character you have in these guys at such an early stage! can't wait to see them more fleshed out.
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone,

Well my updates have been less than stellar. Missed an entire weekend though I was working all of the time sigh... But not this one. So here is an update on the demon guys tail. I'm happy with where its shape is now and I can move on to finish the head. Then time for retopo!

Demon_Belly_WIP_Tail_Wip.jpg

I made a quick sketch for the head as well. This is the direction I will be aiming for.

Demon_Belly_Head_Sketch.jpg

Enjoy
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    awesome stuff man- love thee volume you've established in your sketches- looking forward to what you'll do with them. Huge fan of this guy's shapes
    Brutish_Blockout_Wip_02.jpg
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Good day everyone,

Well spent some time over the last 2 evenings sneaking in some time to sculpt a little more on my friendly little demon here.

Most of the general shapes are locked down. I will take another pass on the arms and legs to help refine some smaller shapes and bring them to the same level as the rest of the body. I should have this done before the weekend so I can retopologize him and get down to sculpting all the final details!

Stay tuned.

Demon_Belly_Head_WIP_01.jpg
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone,

I've started with the retopo pass now on the model. I know zbrush has a ton of auto tools for this process these days... still I like doing it by hand for many parts still.

So this image shows the critter in his current state as I start on making a more clean model for the final detail sculpting pass.

Demon_Belly_WIP_03.jpg

On another note, I am using the freeform tools inside 3dsmax in my retopology pass. EXTEND for the WIN! I love it..

Demon_Belly_WIP_Retopo_01.jpg

Enjoy!

"Skiffy the Junkyard monster spins a web of polygons... its like knitting but 3d"
  • jeroenbackx
    Offline / Send Message
    Chubby diablo is looking cool! :D

Extend is great, I have a number of the old polyboost (or graphite, if you prefer) features hotkeyed as follows:

ctrl+1 "step build"
    ctrl+2 "P connect"
    ctrl+3 "swiftloop"
    ctrl+4 "extend"
    ctrl+5 "drag"
    ctrl+6 "optimize"

Having those features only a hotkey away and getting them into muscle memory makes for superfast boxmodeling.
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Evening / Morning everyone,

Still working on the retopo pass for this fella... taking a little longer than expected. I tried qRemesher in zbrush with all the guide lines but it never gave me the results I wanted. Soooo I've just been zoning out and creeping across the model resurfacing it.

Fun practice regardless. Some crazy areas that required some fun loop flow solutions. Quads all the way! I am sure there are folks on the forum that appreciate such nice mesh flow. Knitting with polygons... good stuff.

Well I have the crazy tail next. The feet wont be much of an issue. I could have just divided the dynamesh a bunch more and sculpt on that.. but it felt dirty. And I took the opportunity to work on my loop flow. Good workout for the mind.

Demon_Belly_WIP_Retopo_02.jpg

With any luck I finish this before the weekend so I can spend some quality time in Zbrush again purely working on details.

Cheers!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Fing A!

I love this type of stuff! Good on yah, keep going!
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    I do love me some good mesh flow. That's why I am doing it. Just good practice and interesting puzzles to solve.
  • Ckretone
    Offline / Send Message
    Ckretone polycounter lvl 17
    Well, well F1! I'me looking forward to seeing how far you develop these characters. the silluettes are very promising....You must post updates at this point! :)
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha F1... have not heard that nickname in ages. Well then here you go. The model is all nicely setup with a super squeaky sub-D mesh and I've projected the details over. Its a little hectic right now so my attempted to keep this thread going has been rather sad to say the least. We lets hope this is a turn for the best from hence forth.

Demon_Belly_Wip_Proper_01.jpg

Here is how the madness that is the tail turned out for those curious about the mesh flow.

Demon_Belly_Wip_Proper_02.jpg

Enjoy :)
  • silkroadgame
    You have a good plan in mind,so your character's looking very good so far!
  • fourche13
    Offline / Send Message
    fourche13 polycounter lvl 7
    Look Nice ! A little more effort to finish it ! Courage ^^
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone,

Well I've been missing for 2 months... work and helping on side projects...
    So to bring this thread back to life I'll be posting some older works that will also be revisited.

But first here is an image from one of the side projects that had me distracted. Darkout is a game my brother is making and until now only had a female character. So I spent some time and created a new male model for the games starting gear.

Darkout_Male_Wip.jpg

It uses the same skeleton so I had to make it work with those proportions. It came out pretty nicely in the end I think. Its also pure diffuse texture work, something I rarely do and need more practice at!

I can post some wires and texture flats later if anyone is interested.

Here is a link to DARKOUT on steam greenlight.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98158224

Cheers!
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think I ever posted the final version of this character anywhere on polycount, not to mention the progress images where scattered over a long multi thread when the original min Domwar was going on. SO... here he is.

Hogswine_Final.jpg

And here is a series of images showing the overall progression during the competition.

Hog_Overdraw.jpg

Hog_General_Zbrush.jpg

Hog_General_details.jpg

Baking_works_OMG.jpg

Hog_AMB_NRM.jpg

Hog_basic_start.jpg

Hog_almost_done.jpg

I have plans to give him a proper full body at one point...

Hog_New.jpg

I'll see if I can dig up the images for the Izolde character later this week. Don't worry I have not forgotten about the bile demon!

Cheers!

"Skiffy goes back to dig though some more piles of junk"
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that was a crazy few months... Time to get back to more personal work again... Started detailing the chest and the slow detail creeping process begins.

Demon_Belly_Wip_05.jpg

Cheers!
  • jeroenbackx
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool looking stuff man! The Darkout dude looks great and I'm really digging general Hogswine. He looks like something mashed up between TMNT villains and Warhammer heheh. Looking forward to future updates :D
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Good grief this thread of mine is dusty! Well lets toss in some retro stuff then shall we to remove at least a little of that said dust :P

So I decided to look into making maps for the original quake... yes that one! But using some slightly updated game engines with less map limits allowing for a ton more detail and modern compile tools for better lighting and colored lights too!

Quake_Mapping_04.jpg

Quake_Mapping_05.jpg

And while I am at it I am revamping the monsters. The Shambler needs some love bad if its going to match my new maps! I'll be doing the same for all the monsters eventually. Fun stuff that can be done after hours.

Shambler_Wip.jpg

Cheers! Lets see if 2015 will see more action in this thread of mine :P

"Skiffy wanders back into the darkness"
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Time... is in short supply! danget.. well some more progress for anyone interested. :)

Quake_Mapping_06.jpg

Quake_Mapping_07.jpg

Cheers! Now to go steal some more time for art!
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I revamped my revamp of the shambler and went more faithful to the original version. Here is the current progress! I've finished the mesh and his animations. Now I am just working on finalizing the texture. Fun to see this guy ingame compared to the old version.

https://youtu.be/OemMkCeTB6Y

Now back to the texture I go!
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message

Progress on the texture!

Got his mouth working nicely with animation inside Quake as well. Fun times.
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Throwing this here since its the final shots for it. DONE

• Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone,

So I've gone ahead and created some additional giblets for the Shambler last weekend. This works with the Arcane Dimensions mod for Quake1 which adds custom gibs for each creature in the game. They where fun to create... messy business but somebody has to do it. :)

I've also gone ahead and made my own version of the Doom Space Marine helmet. Its inspired mainly by the Quake3's doom Marine.
    This will be used in secret areas for some new maps coming up in the soon to be released 1.5 update of Arcane Dimensions.

Oh and here is a raw unpaletted source version of the helmet. The one above is 128 x 128 using the quake 1 palette.

Hope you like!

Cheers

"Skiffy the junkyard monsters wanders off into the raging planes of hell to find some breakfast"