Home General Discussion

Illfonic UNDER ARREST!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cholden polycounter lvl 18
A few hours ago, this happened.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwNSzoe28MQ[/ame]

We're crunching for GDC making everything shiny, turns out Johnny-law was a-foot! Next thing I know there's a gun and a flash light in my face. Turns out, next door the alarm went off, and our back door was unlocked. The police, doing their job, roll in and cuff us up. Clarification ensues where it turns out they just busted the wrong address sends a sorrow over all the faces. After a good twenty minutes of chit-chat about video games, we're released back to our grind.

Events of the video, they open our back door, I come out, then our animator James, and our lead programmer Paul Jackson. We spend the next 20 minutes talking about battlefield 2, and they release us.

Not a productive night, lol.

Replies

• warby
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i am speechless i really don't know if i should laugh or cry !
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    nothin' like being in a pair of cuffs to make you feel alive! A cop once put me in the back of his car with cuffs because my taillight was off and i wanted to go into a 7 eleven for smokes while he searched my car. Pretty surreal being suspected of terrible things for a minor infraction/ nothing.

Anyway, check this sh*t out, it'll make you smile :)
    http://cuffs.ytmnd.com/

Source:
    http://icanbreakthesecuffs.ytmnd.com/
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Might not have been a productive night but it sure seems it was an awesome one. Makes for a good story, if nothing else. What surprises me is that you talked abuot battlefield and not MW2 though XD
  • |Buddy|
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
  • Ben Apuna
    Wow that's a wild crunch story!

Best of luck with Nexuiz up at GDC :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Bloody hell, that's fucking horrifying. I'm sweating just sitting here watching that (although the fact that it's humid as all hell probably isn't helping). Seeing stuff like that really makes me want to avoid ever setting foot in the US, regardless of how tempting the projects there might be.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • gavku
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha love the left cops wide legged stance hahaha
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Frickken sweet!! Reminds me of a story an animator friend of mine was telling me of how the locals called the cops on him and his fellow developers who were enacting a hostage / kidnapping scene for Driver parallel lines in the car park outside where there was more room - him and a couple of the other animators where using dummy gun props, and held one of the hr girls hostage with a cardboard ak-47 and was screaming and hulring verbal abuse. From 4 floors up across the road and behind glass without windows, it must have looked pretty convincing - a whole team of coppers showed up in full riot gear, with guns out demanding them to drop their 'weapons'. A few minutes after it had been sorted out the feds told the ceo that this situation could have gone so so so wrong.... What a day to remember.
  • Rwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Shit I would be scared for you guys. After hearing so much stories of over aggressive enforcement.

lol @ the cardboard ak-47
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    lol that was awesome :)
  • Canadian Ink
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Frickken sweet!! Reminds me of a story an animator friend of mine was telling me of how the locals called the cops on him and his fellow developers who were enacting a hostage / kidnapping scene for Driver parallel lines in the car park outside where there was more room - him and a couple of the other animators where using dummy gun props, and held one of the hr girls hostage with a cardboard ak-47 and was screaming and hulring verbal abuse. From 4 floors up across the road and behind glass without windows, it must have looked pretty convincing - a whole team of coppers showed up in full riot gear, with guns out demanding them to drop their 'weapons'. A few minutes after it had been sorted out the feds told the ceo that this situation could have gone so so so wrong.... What a day to remember.

Ya that might have been one of those situations where giving the local cops a heads up could have been a good thing.
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    thats fuckin hilarious!
  • Quokimbo
  • Pankake
    Offline / Send Message
    Pankake polycounter lvl 11
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Bloody hell, that's fucking horrifying. I'm sweating just sitting here watching that (although the fact that it's humid as all hell probably isn't helping). Seeing stuff like that really makes me want to avoid ever setting foot in the US, regardless of how tempting the projects there might be.

Lol, I was just waiting for that first one who peered through the door to get spooked by someone and light the place up. You could almost see the 24 episodes running through their minds.
  • Parnell
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    For a second I thought I was watching an episode of cops. Then I noticed you guys were all wearing shirts. Probably scary as hell for you guys at first but funny to look back on. Glad to hear it was quickly cleared up and you guys could get back to work.
    gogogogogogo!
    B
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Glad you were not taken downtown. :D Cops have it hard too, from their point of view you guys might of had guns or other weapons.

Here is a funny experience I had with a State Officer. In the neighborhood my friend lives cops expect Hispanics that drive around 12 am to be trouble and not to be able to speak English. I got stopped with my friend who is White and he asks for my license and registration. I say hi and tell him my registration is in my glove compartment. Then he sees my license and well I'm Hispanic so he asks me with a straight face. Do you speak English? Now I have to restrain myself and not make a smart ass remark like no I speak Chinese though, because I did not want a ticket. :D My friend couldn't believe the cop just asked me that, because I was speaking English fluently to the officer. :D I was let go with a warning, and we laughed all the way.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Welcome to Colorado!
  • Ride
    Straight up thug life....yo
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Here's a recent story that happened to me:

Back in late 2008 I was living at my uncles house, sense had just graduated from college a few months prior and needed a place to stay. Well just a few days before xmas, I was sleeping when all of a sudden I hear banging on my bedroom door with a "open up, its the police". I woke up instantly and rushed to the door with them still banging at it, andas soon as it was open they flooded in and proceeded to do a pat down before I could hardly get in a word edgewise. After that one of them started asking me a bunch of random questions as the others started tearing through my room. They told me that my uncle was in some sort of trouble (but wouldnt say what) and they were going to have to confenscate basicly every piece of technology I owned (that means computers/hard drives/memory sticks/burned discs/etc., anything that could have data on it), and would probably not see it again for a long time (likely years).

So here I was being told every bit of data I had created or accumulated over the past 10+ years was about to be taken from me for something I didn't have anything to do with. I was told to leave the house while they did an inspection of the place from top to bottom, and shouldn't come back till later that night. For the rest of that day I shaking non-stop, stricken by both anger and concern. It wasn't just me and my uncle either, my brother was also having many of his possessions seized. Together we were frantically trying to find some way to stop this from happening, but to no avail.

Later that night we receaved a call from one of our cousins, who said that the police had decided not to take any computers. When we got back we found the machines sitting partially dissasembled and their parts labeld with identification stickers. They were gone at this point, and no one knew why exactly they changed their minds, but we didn't care.

Thus ends the story of one of the most stressful days I've ever been through.
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    it ain't easy being a gangsta
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 14
    Whoa whoa wait....cops in Colorado doing something that could be called stupid?

shocking.
  • Laughing_Bun
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 15
    You should have fought the law.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    The police in the US terrify me. I don't think I could handle a night like this without being a ball of stress for weeks.
  • Kedhrin
    Offline / Send Message
    Kedhrin polycounter lvl 18
    The cops weren't THAT bad.... with the shit thats been going on with the dope shops in Denver, they'll naturally respond with extreme caution and massive prejudice. The funny thing is, a month ago we saw on this camera a cop come up to our back door and try to open it one time. We went outside and they hit the light on their car on us and we told them right then and there who we were and we were setup there. So some of them definitely did know we were there....
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    http://kotaku.com/5487257/the-case-of-the-indie-devs-and-the-medical-marijuana-mixup

Holy shit, you guys are famous! Great press too, heh. You should have told us your company is housed next to a pot dispencery (sp?), that shit's totally OG.
  • slipsius
    that video should roll during the credits when you beat your upcoming game....
  • Clockwork
    I would definitely not take this shit with a smile. When cops point a gun at you, it's already locked and loaded, bullet in the barrel, safety off. That's a thin line between life and death there. Just a slip of the finger, maybe a skittish cop, an unexpected move from you, all kinds of things can go wrong and send a bullet your way. Wouldn't be the first time cops kill innocent people.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    LOL- what I want to know is where K-Fed is at. Also I imagine Paul was SUPER freaked out. poor kid didn`t deserve that.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    HAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • moose
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    It's never funny having the business end of a loaded gun pointed in your face. Glad you posted and not a friend telling us services will be held Thursday and a Facebook memorial is being set up by your mom.
  • Darkbladecr
    Oh wow that is pretty crazy =/
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I've slept through a police raid here in the UK, for the OINK raid (who lived on the ground floor of my house).

I was scared enough when the police officer, holding just a clipboard, asked me downstairs for my contact details, then wanting to play on whoever's chipped Wii - having to give them a demonstration of the crappy, copied football game we had, because the officer wanted to buy it for his son's birthday.

This video absolutely terrifies me and supports my opinion that Americans should not be allowed guns - I probably would have filled my socks with piss.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    two words: street cred
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    cholden wrote: »
    A few hours ago, this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwNSzoe28MQ

We're crunching for GDC making everything shiny, turns out Johnny-law was a-foot! Next thing I know there's a gun and a flash light in my face. Turns out, next door the alarm went off, and our back door was unlocked. The police, doing their job, roll in and cuff us up. Clarification ensues where it turns out they just busted the wrong address sends a sorrow over all the faces. After a good twenty minutes of chit-chat about video games, we're released back to our grind.

Events of the video, they open our back door, I come out, then our animator James, and our lead programmer Paul Jackson. We spend the next 20 minutes talking about battlefield 2, and they release us.

Not a productive night, lol.

Wow...Did they litrally apologise to you all?.....I also dont know how should I feel about this..Happy, or Sorry, or "WTF was that all about"...
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Hell of a story!

funny-picture-1312529739.jpg
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    all I could think the first half of that was "Great cutscene reference material".

:) You may wish to consider a prominent sign on that entrance
    <-- pot barn Illfonic game studio-->
  • Empty
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Wow that's crazy. Welcome to Colorado :) You need to come hang out with some of us netdevil/idol guys.
  • SubPablo
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    haha, so awesome! -now that I know nobody got hurt at least. These things don't always end this well. -Sucks you had to go back to work though
  • vcortis
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, since everything ended up alright I guess you got a pretty good story out of it. Hope your stuff for GDC goes well. GL!
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    So let me get this straight?

They hold people at gunpoint that are suspected of carrying Marijuana?

wow, thats... wow.
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    That might happen in Canada soon too Jacque...

Ahaha that was kinda awesome though :P, one time the cops pulled my buddies car over for no reason what so ever (because I asked him and he kept avoiding the question), dragged me out of the car, frisked me, threw my wallet and everything else in my pocket in the snow, my phone stopped working... then he gave me a ticket for having alcohol in the car and I was underage.. while it was the drivers drinks and he was 24, he just couldn't say anything and froze because he had already gone to jail and was scared as fuck!

Long story short... don't be the only colored guy in a small Canadian town... ahahaha

Gotta fill that quota buddy!
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the bump, JacqueChoi! It was their alarm going off, set to "hostage situation". Since no one was there, the obvious answer was bust into the business next door, and rough up those guys.

Come see us at E3. Big announcement in May!
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Heart Attack. Pants Shat.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Aww, no prison love?
  • BadgerBaiter
    Only been pulled over by the police twice in my life - well technically the first time we were already stopped and my girlfriend at the time had been driving.
    The first time was while I was living in Pittsburgh, we had been out to see a film late at night and she had had about a gallon of coke and was desperate for a pee and miles from anywhere, so she pulled over in a layby and well.. had a pee. Lo and behold, the police draw up and start yelling at her. I opened my door and was going to explain the situation, turns out this is what you do if you want the fuzz to scream at you and point their guns at you.
    Second time I was back home in London, was driving my Impreza to pick up my brother up from the station... the police pulled me over, I got out of the car and we had a good old natter. Thankfully no guns were drawn this time around - not that they tend to be armed anyway.
  • [SF]Three9
    i just don't understand why the cop outside constantly had a gun pointed at you the ENTIRE time...you guys were standing there and complying with their orders ffs...like, having it up and ready and pointed downward is one thing, but having it pointed directly at you ready to fire, that's ridiculous
  • e-freak
    not sure if laughing or crying but this is definitely something going into the endless list of analogies in the games industry :D
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I opened my door and was going to explain the situation, turns out this is what you do if you want the fuzz to scream at you and point their guns at you.

I see you've skipped over the "dealing with cops" section in the "yankeeland for tourists" book ;) stay in the car and keep the hands on the wheel. most tourist guides stress this over and over.
    But they usually don't tell you that peeing anywhere in public, e.g. next to the road, ain't allowed either in most places... indecent exposure or something like that. Tehn again who'd rather pee their pants in their own car??
This discussion has been closed.