Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My past and future Art - Chris Thread

Hello everyone and welcome on my thread!

I am Chris and I am working as a freelance 3D Artist mainly focusing on characters.

As trying to get into a game studio for my next career move I am willing to get my skill to a new level by working hard in the next months/ years – never know how much it takes but thanks God I have a lovely girl that totally supports my dream :).

So I am looking forward to update you here with all of my struggles on my next work.

Any kind of criticism is very appreciated so please let it go :)

I feel sorry for my English mistakes, this is not my native language but I am getting better every day – Just have in mind grammar corrections – my hat of and thank you very much, but art criticism – oh God be blessed and all my best wishes :)

So let’s go on by showing you some of my latest work:

PigHead

PigHead is a character created after my own concept during CG Society Workshop: Advanced Character Creation held by Katon Callaway. Great workshop, totally recommmend.

The character has 30K triangles, 2k diffuse, normal, specular maps and the renders are made in Marmoset.

PigHead-poses.jpg

Fallen Shaman

“Fallen Shaman” is a character folowing PHROI :) concept which I’ve created during CGWorkshop – Rapid Character Development for Online Games held by John DeRiggi. Another great workshop.

It has 4k triangles. 1k diffuse, normal and specular maps. The screenshot are from Unity.

Shaman-Hero-poses.jpg

Colonel BLOOD

Colonel Blood is a 2.5k triangle character and gun, created for the tablet game Magesteria Engine of Destruction. It has 1k diffuse, normal and specular map. This character is part of a freelancing project and for a game that will be released during 2015.

Colonel-Blood-poses.jpg

Hyena Warrior

Ok, this is Hyena Warrior, a character with 4k budget created after a concept from internet called Gnoll Warrior - I couldn't find the author name so I can credit him.

Hyena-Warrior-poses.jpg

Kkree

Kree is sort of a sci fi character created for a game called the Traveler after own concept.

It has 10k triangles and 2k diffuse, normal and specular maps.

Kkree-poses.jpg

That's it for now, I'll get you back tomorow with some details on my next character I'll start to create.

Till then, have a great day!

Replies

• kboomthepot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is it, music in background and lots of hours to come while sculping, modeling and painting :)

The character I have decided to go on for my next project is below and made by Kyoung Hwan Kim.

I am drawing myself but I am still far from beeing happy with my results that's why believe at this stage should go and pick some great concepts from great artists.

I will post my progress at the end of every day so till the character is finished this tread will get preety big. Please feel free to make comments, I am learning and sharing in the same time and hopefully we all gain something from this experience.

At every starting point I begin by gathering references as you can see below.

I also started to think how I should retopologize the character later so it looks good while animated.
    Please let me know what you think, anything you would make different.

I believe mirrored arms and legs will work just fine.

I didn't specify, I am targeting a 10-12k character that could work fine in a console game.

Game_mesh.jpg

Quality_Reference.jpg

Anatomy_Reference.jpg

Boots_Reference.jpg

Leather_Cloths_Reference.jpg

Armour_Reference.jpg

That's it for now, next step is to block out the mesh in Z-brush.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I wouldn't make both arms symmetrical. Symmetrical folds and wrinkles on the clothing are pretty easy to notice... If you can afford the polycount/texture budget then do it assymetrical.
  • kboomthepot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I will follow your advice ;)