Home General Discussion

I hate boss fights...

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
McGreed polycounter lvl 15
..Why? Because with boss fights all the rules you have played with thoughout the game, gets thrown out. With this I especially mean the sniper-1-shot-kill-you-dead-like-shit, because apparently when you are a boss, you can take 20 sniper rifle bullets into your unarmored bare headed skull. Yeah....I hate you Bosses, you suck. :(

ps. playing Deus Ex and I'm against Barrett with a shock pistol, darts and a sniper rifle....yay.....

Replies

• mLichy
    in Skyrim is pisses me off sometimes in Dungeons where I have to fight against a "boss" and they can kill me in 1-2 hits from a distance even (Magic), and they even have a summoned helper as well. So its like... theres no way in hell I can kill it at my level, so I have to break the AI pathfinding to beat them.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    OBLIVION FANBOY GTFO

:P
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I love boss fights!

ps. playing Deus Ex and I'm against Gunther with a tranquilizer gun, knife and a LAM, just talked my way into victory... yay!...
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I just dislike the obvious way to make a mob 'hard' is to pump its health up to 1000 times yours, so its all about wearing him down, empty clips after clips into his body, so in the end, you could beat him with a big magnet with all that metal in him...although, with Deus Ex, I guess a big magnet might be good right away.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    McGreed wrote: »
    Yeah, I just dislike the obvious way to make a mob 'hard' is to pump its health up to 1000 times yours, so its all about wearing him down, empty clips after clips into his body

That's just bad design really... so you hate BAD boss fights :P
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Deus Ex had way better bosses than Deus Ex though.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I found Deus Ex HR alright for bosses, although Barrett was a bit of a pain the first time through. If you've got enough ammo for your stun gun you should be ok though, its stops him for a few seconds, just enough time take some shots at him, plus the stun gun takes hurts him. If you can find some grenades lying about you can take him down pretty fast.

EDIT: Gunther was a mean SOB in Deus Ex, took a good few reloads to take him down.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Which one is Barrett again, the one who tries to walk through a door he can't fit through? The chick who glitches out on a wall or the naked dude who walks in front of turrets?
  • almighty_gir
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Well, boss fights differ immensly. Most bosses in the Zelda games were pretty good. I remember on A Link to the Past facing the Evil Wizard Agahnim, he kept kicking my ass! The first time I beat him it was with the Bug-catching net. Bosses almost always spice things up, and would it'd suck without them. What I don't like is if they don't really stand out enough as a boss, if they just increased damage and health.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Imagine games without bosses!

Bosses rule. I'm from the old skool thinking of gaming which means I love HUGE bosses. The bigger the better. Painkiller, serious sam, Duke Nukem, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, etc...

Huge bosses gives the player a greater sense of achievement when you bring them down imo. Even if you dont need to do much to bring em down. i.e. Quake lava demon dude. Turn on 2 switches........pretty lame actually. But a cool boss none the less.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I wish I had more games with only Boss fights. My favorite game is Shadow of the Colossus. I’m playing Dark Souls at the moment and am enjoying it because of how many boss fights it has. I fist pump and yell “YES!” every time I kill one of those fuckers!

- BoBo
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    No More Heroes and Madworld would like a word with you.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Depends on the boss fight.

Zelda had some of the most epic boss fights ever. But yeah, the bossfights in Deus Ex HR are pretty weaksauce.

Just stupid AI with a ridiculous amount of HP and no particular integration with the actual gameplay.
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I noticed a lot of games just have the boss walking around slowly, shooting whenever he sees you, and not really trying to avoid getting hit, not much of an AI.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I wish I had more games with only Boss fights. My favorite game is Shadow of the Colossus. I’m playing Dark Souls at the moment and am enjoying it because of how many boss fights it has. I fist pump and yell “YES!” every time I kill one of those fuckers!

- BoBo

god damn masochist!
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    The last remnant, triple-boss-battles were they don't even have the decency to call them pissing in your face rain. Oh and you cant leave between bosses which each have a 4/5min movie cut-scene and they are retardedly harder as you go.

Raped that shit like a boss.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    With Deus ex the bosses are pretty unbalanced if you chose to upgrade a certain way but then again there is always a pretty easy way to take them out if you look around the room or the areas just before you enter them
  • MadnessImport
    Metroid prime 2

Quadraxis....
    12 energy tanks and hes a titan
    13 energy tanks and hes a God
    14 or 15 energy tanks and hes a walk in the park on Hard mode at that..

I dont quite understand but he never lets up when you have less than 14 tanks, he JUST KEEPS COMING but when you get 14 or 15 he pretty much asks for death :/

After about 40 tries to defeat him with 13 tanks i gave up and found the 14th tank, i returned and claimed dominance. Until i find a boss fight like that ill never complain about a uneasy or cheating boss

i didn't even know i could seek help from the Internet either so i had to take it on all by my lonesome
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Apparently the boss fights were outsourced for Deus Ex HR.
  • STRIKER
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    Andreas wrote: »
    Apparently the boss fights were outsourced for Deus Ex HR.

yup, thats why it was weird and the Ai was half functional !
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    So I guess you are just saying that you dislike badly designed bossfights!
  • PhattyEwok
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Clicked on this thinking awesome time to get some juicy inter office insanity and alas you meant video games.

On the subject though I thought WoW had some cool boss fights towards the later expansion. Wrath and Cata especially
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NisCkxU544c"]Like A Boss (ft. Seth Rogen) - Uncensored Version - YouTube[/ame]
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I love boss fights. There is always a way to beat them unless you have fuck all ammo left.
    I am not saying I am good at them just I enjoy them:)
  • kevlar jens
    Hating boss fights in general because of Human Rev's boss fights is kinda stupid, seeing as they are terribly designed and barely take the players way of playing into consideration.

I mean, there are lots of great boss fights.
    Like Mr. Freeze in Arkham City, which had you using almost all of Batman's skills, and The End in MGS3.

It's sad to see how old fashioned boss fights are in a decline, in my opinion. QTEs are so unsatisfying- let me struggle a bit!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I just punched a dragon to death in Skyrim...
    I wish bosses were still about learning their patterns and weaknesses instead of learning AI exploits and shooting them for 10 minutes.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    yo ZacD, Why don't you go take your logic and spread that shit somewhere else! we don't want it here.

on a serious note tho, i agree 100%.
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    eld wrote: »
    Deus Ex had way better bosses than Deus Ex though.

As soon as you got a
    Dragon's Tooth Nanosword
    , all boss fights afterward become very routine.
    Especially with Gas grenades or even a good ol' taser.
  • 3devo
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    oh man oh man i wish rpgish type game would think about boss fights before implementing them. i just spent five hours buffing out my stealth and/or conversation stats and now im punished for playing that way by being forced to fight crazy bastard to the death wtf. seriously pisses me off. looking at you deus ex.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14

- BoBo

I agree with this quite a bit actually. The relationship between enemies' and bosses' health and difficulty is a very difficult thing to design and keep it fun.

If all the enemies are bosses, then they're all tough and badass. I felt like a real hero playing Shadow of the Colossus.
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    eld wrote: »
    I love boss fights!

ps. playing Deus Ex and I'm against Gunther with a tranquilizer gun, knife and a LAM, just talked my way into victory... yay!...

I am going to blow up your post.

(puts on sunglasses)

Laputian Machine.

:D

I wish they'd included that aspect in the new game... the stupid boss fights nearly ruined DX:HR for me.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Snake Eater. The End. Best gaming experience of my life.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ErichWK wrote: »

i accidentally beat him the first time around by being interrupted from playing the game by going to a festival. i remember saving the game in the middle of fighting him, going to this festival, coming back and he's died of old age lol.
  • THE 5
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 13
    The cheap bosses with simply pumped up health and attack do suck sometimes, yeh.
    Mostly these come combined with un-skipable cutscenes, beeing set back to a state about 15 minutes before you entered the boss room and sometimes the stuff you wasted for the boss is not reset.
    Yes, this can be verry frustrating.

But just think about Zelda, MGS (The End), Shadow of the Colossus, Monster Hunter,...
    Only looking at overall "good" games, the fun bosses outnumber the boring ones, imo.

EDIT:
    • MGS3: The End
    • SotC: the sword colossus and the huge flying sandworm dragon
    • Lost Planet 2: those "big-eared giraffe thingies" and the huge sandworm
    • MH: the big sand(worm)-dragon
    • Zelda + Mario: every boss requres a uniqe strategy

Hmm, sandworms rock.
  • krimzondestiny
    Deus Ex had way better bosses than Deus Ex

LOL
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    McGreed wrote: »
    ..Why? Because with boss fights all the rules you have played with thoughout the game, gets thrown out. With this I especially mean the sniper-1-shot-kill-you-dead-like-shit, because apparently when you are a boss, you can take 20 sniper rifle bullets into your unarmored bare headed skull. Yeah....I hate you Bosses, you suck. :(

ps. playing Deus Ex and I'm against Barrett with a shock pistol, darts and a sniper rifle....yay.....

Dude I was thinking this same thing just the other day! I picked up Deus Ex from the steam sale and was like this games pretty cool and then I hit that freaking boss fight. Dumbest thing ever, I felt like a failure because I couldn't even beat it on "tell me a story." :poly127:
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The sequel has much better bosses!
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya i really hate the bosses in deus ex:HR, but games like zelda and darksiders i loved the bosses, they ussualy required you to use a item or skill you just learned in the same level, and were more of puzzels than fights.

played some other games where bosses really fucked me up since i made a character that mostly relied on stealth, and tricking people, and as a result in direct combat my character would just horrible die.
  • Weirdboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    Metroid prime 2

Quadraxis....

Boost Guardian.

/thread
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I'm playing through Link's Awakening on the 3DS atm (originally on Gameboy), and the boss fights in that are pretty cool. Whilst the gameplay is very old school, each boss makes you utilize the item you've got in it's particular dungeon. I guess that's the same with all Zelda games though!
  • Daelus
    Hating Deus Ex bosses? What about fighting game bosses! If I had a dollar for each time I shouted at the screen while fighting Seth in SF4... I'd have at least two dollars.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    And that blue/red prick from Street Fighter III... Never actually finished it cause of him!
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    ErichWK wrote: »

This.

/goes off to listen to the soundtrack.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I miss bosses like 7 force:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCRCEAhluo"]Gunstar Heroes - Seven Force (Expert + Fire/Laser) no damage - YouTube[/ame]
  • skankerzero
    Platinum makes amazing boss fights.
  • krimzondestiny
    The thing that bother me about this is that games like Gunstar Heroes was very lineary and heavily scripted. However, when people play "open" non-linear games like Deus Ex and Skyrim, they complain about the fact that the gameplay (boss fights) aren't scripted and linear. That's because you're playing the wrong type of game genius.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    This fucker

Image2422.jpg

I play through this game at least once every two years and yet I always forget what his attack patterns are and what skills I need to equip.

On a side note, I love every single boss battle in Bayonetta. Then again, I love Bayonetta, so that shouldn't be surprising.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    The only bossfights I like are the ones in Metal Gear Solid-series

EDIT: And ofcourse in every JRPG ^
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The thing that bother me about this is that games like Gunstar Heroes was very lineary and heavily scripted. However, when people play "open" non-linear games like Deus Ex and Skyrim, they complain about the fact that the gameplay (boss fights) aren't scripted and linear. That's because you're playing the wrong type of game genius.

Skyrim and deus ex:HR both had pretty scripted boss fights, deus ex however was a bit more emergent and random and have not really been criticized in that way.