Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge October 2015 (34)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Wulf polycounter lvl 7
YSDiQb6png

Hello everyone and welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge for the month of October.

Hello everyone. I've found time this month to reinstate the Monthly Noob Challenge with the addition of the Prop Challenge as well. Quick Update: There is a good chance that the final MNC will occur during the month of December. Although it is still undecided, be ready in case the challenges end this year.

Join our Skype group if you want! Add me on Skype and I will add you to the group.
Me: noble.wulf

You don't have to join the Skype if you don't want to, and you don't need to ask to participate in the challenge, just start working and post your progress in this thread!

October Special: With the help of eXecutex, I (we) have decided to include two environment concepts (Interior/Exterior) for you all to choose from depending on your preference.

KF4R9g8png

Paintover2jpg

Artist - Valdis Matas
http://valdism.blogspot.com/

pu-dawn-sjpg1422499366

Artist - Dawn Pu
https://www.artstation.com/artist/dawnpu

5Twoeutpng

Reference - Deus Ex: Human Revolution

5SGB61opng

Feel free to approach either of the concepts however you like but I'd recommend making it as modular as possible to save time and keep things optimized. It's really up to you, and as long as you are learning, it doesn't matter right?

Also if you want to change up either concept a bit, as some people wanted, then feel free. Interpret these concepts to your liking.

There are some things that I would like to point out to for newcomers.
If you only want to do a few props as best you can, then feel free to go ahead and do it. This way you can gradually work on building up to a full scene before diving head-first into the whole ordeal.

B3Uy2w0png

Please read all the rules before starting.

When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing, so take the time to break it down.

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.

Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

Here are some specifics.
  • Try to post one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.

• You must make your own textures, no stealing. We can't keep you from doing it, but the goal is to learn. You can use other textures and images to create your final texture, but please, no blatant copying of another artist's work.

• You must use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used, but feel free to use any alternatives that you want.

• You must try your best and finish as much as you can in the time frame provided.

• Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. We don't need to have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

• I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

• Please stay away from using Ddo. It's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, so please don't complain.

• Well that's about it. If you think that any rules should be changed, or there should be new additions to the rules, please let us know.
All that matters is that you learn, while being able to effectively critique others, as well as accept critiques on your own work. Remember to have fun. Cheers!

Replies

• Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Love the concepts as usual. That pistol especially!
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    Too bad I don't have the time to participate in this month's challenge. Gonna try the November's challenge.
    By the way, the concepts look really interesting.
  • Bentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bentic polycounter lvl 18
    Hi guys!

Thanks Wulf for reinstating this challenge. I'll try to participate this time!

Nice choice of concepts, though I was wondering, wouldn't it be more interesting to have a more "environmental" prop, since there already is the guns and firearms challenge ? (though it seems it doesn't get much attention this year)
  • Melli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melli polycounter lvl 4
    Yay, this'll be my first Noob Challenge! :)

About me: I just finished studying Game Art at Games Academy in Frankfurt. Because we had to learn EVERYTHING that could possibly be needed for game development, I couln't focus on Environment creation as much as I wanted to - so I consider myself an intermediate beginner -> I still have sooooo much to learn, so please don't expect any miracles from me xD

Also I tend to make assets too low poly. Definitely need to work on that... practice, practice, practice!

I'm really looking forward to this and hope we'll all have a great time with these awesome concepts! :D
  • Wulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wulf polycounter lvl 7
    Bentic wrote: »
    Hi guys!

Thanks Wulf for reinstating this challenge. I'll try to participate this time!

Nice choice of concepts, though I was wondering, wouldn't it be more interesting to have a more "environmental" prop, since there already is the guns and firearms challenge ? (though it seems it doesn't get much attention this year)

Yeah, I wondered about changing up the focus of the challenge to be more environment prop oriented, but after consideration, I decided to make challenge opposite from the main challenge because I want people to make a decision between the two. If people wanted to focus more on other aspects of 3D, I would advise them to look towards other challenges or make one for themselves. :poly009:
  • Bentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bentic polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I guess we can always pick a prop from the scene, then if we're done pick an other one, etc., and build on that and finally have a full scene even if we didn't intend to do that at first.
    Or pick the prop concept for something else!
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXecutex polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, glad to see some of you entering the challenge :D

I'm hopping in as well, looking forward to the exterior one. I've never done an environment before, but I think I know where I am heading towards :D

And guys, no worries if something's bad or wrong, we'll fix it, that's why we are here right ? To help each other and share our skills :)

Anyway, starting off from a breakdown of the scene, seems like we've got a bunch of modular stuff here and there, of course Chinese architecture is that simple, nor it's hard to make.
    Idk if I should mention what I'm going to use but here we go:
    3DS Max - modeling + retopo + uv unwraping (especially blockout for most of the modular part)
    ZBrush - sculpting + uv unwrapping?? (definitelly most of the details going to be done in zbrush)
    Photoshop - textures + editing ? (yea every now and then we use photoshop right ? :D )
    Substance Designer & Painter - texturing, obviously (Haven't really used it that much, But looking forward to learn it during making this enviro)
    Unreal Engine 4 - For the entire scene, lighting, vertex painting and so on (best choice for the entire environment.)

Hope it goes all well ^^
    PS. Let me know if I missed anything on the breakdown...
    You can use it if you want

TAOgCGI.jpg
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    I'll be joining this one for sure!!! Here's my mini plan!
    Q31se5O.jpg
    Update 1: First Progress, Noticed that the Concept art Is not Perfect in perspective.
    wq7piMd.jpg
  • ComradeDispenser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ComradeDispenser polycounter lvl 3
    wirrexx wrote: »
    I'll be joining this one for sure!!! Here's my mini plan!
    Update 1: First Progress, Noticed that the Concept art Is not Perfect in perspective.
    -snip-

Might not necessarily be the case. Try tweaking the FOV of the camera you're viewing from to get a better fit
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Might not necessarily be the case. Try tweaking the FOV of the camera you're viewing from to get a better fit

Oh thank you darling!
  • Stranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger polycounter lvl 5
    Working on the PC for the first environment.

4WiPPUX.jpg
  • Stranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger polycounter lvl 5
    Last update for today

bZxjBWj.jpg
  • Robert_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks awesome and would love to join in. Quick question, why do a mini plan or breakdown of the picture? can you not do that as you work on them parts, I am a noob to all of this still! :)
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Damn this looks fun! I might try the Bridge/Gate :D

Probably a silly question, but it's okay to use free textures from CG Textures right?

*realizes it's a silly question*
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Robert_H wrote: »
    This looks awesome and would love to join in. Quick question, why do a mini plan or breakdown of the picture? can you not do that as you work on them parts, I am a noob to all of this still! :)

I think the whole idea is that it helps you to plan out exactly what needs doing, so it can serve as kind of a checklist.

If you look at the scene as a whole first, you get a better idea of what can be modular, what needs to be its own model etc. Just helps to plan your modelling better.
  • Robert_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle wrote: »
    I think the whole idea is that it helps you to plan out exactly what needs doing, so it can serve as kind of a checklist.

If you look at the scene as a whole first, you get a better idea of what can be modular, what needs to be its own model etc. Just helps to plan your modelling better.

Awesome! thank you for the help :) just got another problem/question now if you could all help? :)

While trying to set up the image plane and block out my scene, I just cant get it to line up well at all. I noticed earlier you mentioned something about adjusting the FOV to get a better line up... how do I do this? I went through all the camera settings and played with them all but nothing really helped?

This is what I have so far... (have no idea how to add images either, I did something as attachment?)
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert_H wrote: »
    Awesome! thank you for the help :) just got another problem/question now if you could all help? :)

While trying to set up the image plane and block out my scene, I just cant get it to line up well at all. I noticed earlier you mentioned something about adjusting the FOV to get a better line up... how do I do this? I went through all the camera settings and played with them all but nothing really helped?

This is what I have so far... (have no idea how to add images either, I did something as attachment?)

Dude, there's something called Perspective Match in 3ds Max. It's implemented in version 2014 and up. That'll help you match the entire scene, make sure you line it up entirely ...

Hope this helps
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    my breakdown so far:
    xdugp2.jpg

and i also made a refboard and gathered refs for all the props and materials
    2ajcpea.jpg

if anyone asks i used "pureref" for the management of my ref pics

@stranger
    that commodore looks good for now :D

im going for
    - maya/zBrush modeling
    - xNormal baking
    i will try to create my textures from photos i should have sufficient textures at
    hand around my desk to take pics of and the rest i will take from the internet
    i think this will boost my gloss/spec knowledge and pbr knowledge a lot which is definitely
    not a bad thing.
    - so photoshop texturing
    - 3dCoat for uving
    - ue4 for build
    maybe some marmoset for showcasing props

@wirexx i like your breakdown it kinda instantly got me also some ideas on how to approach stuff

cheers all!

@edit
    and did some bsp

2rwvqjl.jpg

no perspective matching and light colors yet
    just started to throw in some shapes and made them as big
    as normed table measures, door measures and so on
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    Just doing some blocking in of the scene. Really excited about this concept! Hopefully more people go for the exterior!
    GjSdhQ5.png
  • lamar McHaney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    I need something take my mind off of work, so ill try to work on the prop.
  • Melli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melli polycounter lvl 4

The perspective gave me a hard time, too... Even with perspective match. :(

Anyway, here's my first progress: Just tried to make a rough block out of the scene.

vB3L7Zl.png
  • Byrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Byrd polycounter lvl 6
    Well I have some time to get some 3D work done again so this seems as good a chance as any to get something of value done. The current system of almost entirely modular design for environments is very different from how things used to be done, so this will be interesting.

I'm gonna attack the outdoor oriental environment. Or at least attempt to.

Well good luck everyone else, I'm gonna get some blocking out done in Maya.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Melli wrote: »
    The perspective gave me a hard time, too... Even with perspective match. :(

Anyway, here's my first progress: Just tried to make a rough block out of the scene.

vB3L7Zl.png
    i think you nailed it pretty good, did you play with the FOV? Cause my perspective is still off, not happy at all! =)
  • Melli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melli polycounter lvl 4
    i think you nailed it pretty good, did you play with the FOV? Cause my perspective is still off, not happy at all! =)

I played a lot with the perspective match utility in Max, but it didn't really get better, no matter what I did.
    So I tried to focus on the table in the foreground perspective-wise, while I just eyeballed the background stuff.

qsMobKs.jpg

As you can see, it doesn't fit at all on the concept :D
    But at one point I just decided to go with it, as long as I get the basic proportions of everything right :)

The perspective in the concept is just too wrong to rely too much on it.... or maybe I'm just too dumb to use the perspective tool properly :D
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D wrote: »
    Just doing some blocking in of the scene. Really excited about this concept! Hopefully more people go for the exterior!
    GjSdhQ5.png

Nice blockout mate, you actually matched it quite close. Did you match this all entirely in UE4 ? :poly142:

PS. Nice start everyone, you are doing great so far !! :D Keep it up !!!
  • kunalht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kunalht polycounter lvl 2
    Nice concept....

wxT73fZ.jpg?1
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also fiddled with perspective today and my blocks on eye and internet measurement werent all that wrong but i cant get it all correct and i think i wont manage to do it as good as Melli :(

2lm8gzs.jpg
  • AbominableSoul
    Figured I'd give this a shot. been a while since I did some modeling.
    Decided to work on the pistol.

Progress so far:
    YiHKB9C.png
    xFmTFuD.png
    GyHJN12.png

going to get rid of the white spots for the major gaps and then break it down into individual pieces
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    I'm working on the interior concept! Here's what I have so far:

NukuWFM.jpg

I need to nail down the proportions of the items on the front desk. I've been having a hard time with the perspective too - how's this looking to everyone else? Does the ceiling seem too short?

I'll be using Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter/Designer, and UE4 for this project.

Edit: I meant to say, @Melli your blockout is looking really good.
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @carabiner
    i think you should lower the camera a bit
    right now it looks a tad too high maybe?
    then the ceiling will come in more too
  • tystnad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tystnad polycounter lvl 5
    Hi) I have a little question about perspective too, but regarding the outdoor concept.
    I used a Perspective match tool in 3ds max and it seems, that my rough model matches the concept, but when I look at it in the perspective view it looks a little stretched. I mean, I thought, that the towers are more like square in shape. Did I messed something with the match tool, or are they really so?
    mvrHdOj.jpg
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    How are you guys matching the picture to perspective in max ?
  • CafeNight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CafeNight polycounter lvl 5
    I make High_Poly Weapon, my 1st model without any helpers only me and xsi and my knowlogy about weapon which is zero
    21372945574_955ea531be_b.jpg
    21807569970_252e5e93e2_b.jpg
    21983507242_062f8c2884_b.jpg

about matching pretty simple algorithm: creaty camera, put image, creaty box, find DOF and perspective
  • Melli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melli polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you, guys! :3

@skodone: Looks allright so far to me. I see you used a character to get the proportions of the furniture right - that's a good approach. As long as everything makes sense size-wise related to the character, you should be fine. Don't rely too much on the concept here, because it just looks wrong smh ^^

@Carabiner: Thank you! I like your blockout, too! :) I would consider pushing the ceiling further up, though. In the concept you can see on the right wall: there's the table, above that a whiteboard and above that also pipes on the wall. Looks pretty spacious to me. Of course it depends on how "cramped" you want the room to feel.

@tystnad: I would go with the square towers. It's pretty hard to draw it right in perspective, so I guess it's just a bit inaccurate.
  • Melli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melli polycounter lvl 4
    How are you guys matching the picture to perspective in max ?

It's the perspective match utility.

You can read about the utility here

Never used it before this callenge, so I'm not sure if I even used it right.
    But many people seem to have problems with the interior concept, so I think it's not entirely my fault xD
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks melli

would you guys also say its rather a bad idea to do the rough blockout in ue4 and then export the bsps --> static meshes instead of going with a modeling program from beginning or is it more a thing of personal taste?
  • AbominableSoul
    skodone wrote: »
    thanks melli

would you guys also say its rather a bad idea to do the rough blockout in ue4 and then export the bsps --> static meshes instead of going with a modeling program from beginning or is it more a thing of personal taste?

i think its more of a personal thing.
    i generally load the source image in a modeling program (for me, Maya), put it on a plane and adjust the plane so that the image isnt stretched.

from there i kinda go block by block, starting with things like the walls and floors. i start with the bigger objects first as places of focus. like the desks for the scene, i would blockout the desk first and not the stuff on top of it and then position it to where i think it roughly belongs and then go from there, going from the larger pieces to the smaller ones.

i dont generally start in a game engine because i personally find it easier to block out small scenes like this in a modelling program.

larger levels though, i prefer to get the landscapes and overall shape of the level done in the engine before going into a modelling program. (usually a rough drawn map is the base for that process though)
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started blocking in some terrain, and knocked out the first modular wood wall
    E0vWuSV.jpg
  • Melli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melli polycounter lvl 4
    Jaston3D wrote: »
    Started blocking in some terrain, and knocked out the first modular wood wall

Nice! I really like the wood texture! <3
  • Mrfido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrfido polycounter lvl 11
    CafeNight wrote: »
    I make High_Poly Weapon, my 1st model without any helpers only me and xsi and my knowlogy about weapon which is zero
    21372945574_955ea531be_b.jpg
    21807569970_252e5e93e2_b.jpg
    21983507242_062f8c2884_b.jpg

about matching pretty simple algorithm: creaty camera, put image, creaty box, find DOF and perspective

Hey cafe looking good so far. I would be careful of how sharp your edges are. Soften them up a little :D Keep up the good work!!
  • blackdragonstory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blackdragonstory polycounter lvl 9
    Hey,I got a question.
    How are the concepts choosen?

If I were to model one of this 3 I would go for the second one cuz it seems interesting.
    So I wonder how would one go to create that background - mountains + sky.
    Would you draw it on a plane or would it have to be all modeled even thought you cant see it all?
  • Byrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Byrd polycounter lvl 6
    @Skodone - Everything is looking a little small compared to your human reference. Not hugely maybe only 10-15% but it looks a little off. It could just be the angle though.

Here is where I'm at so far. Got a few flourishes to deal with on the bridge, but my blockout of that is almost done. Designing it or trying it so I have to call as few textures as possible but we'll see. Interesting to see you all matching the perspective in max like that. I've only ever seen that done when trying to match for CG or video editing. Not sure if Maya has such a function, it may well. I've just been eyeballing it and making tweaks as I go. I've made a few adjustments but it should keep the number of unique assets down to a minimum. I'll try to get the block out finished today before I start to refine stuff and move to zbrush.

bGKMDSr.png

ygqt5lY.png

W8GFTOi.png
  • CafeNight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CafeNight polycounter lvl 5
    Mrfido thanks for kind of words, yeah about edges they really to sharp but when I notice its was to late and its tottaly ruined model and right now model need some love ot tottaly re-put support edges idk will I finish it or no, weird gun lol

Byrd good start but roof looks unfinished
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Melli wrote: »
    It's the perspective match utility.

You can read about the utility here

Never used it before this callenge, so I'm not sure if I even used it right.
    But many people seem to have problems with the interior concept, so I think it's not entirely my fault xD
    Awesome thanks
  • Robert_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my block out so far, it doesn't really line up to the picture at all because of perspective. But everything is to size realistically, would love to hear feed back!

Everyone's work so far looks awesome! the outdoor ones look really good!
  • JaySmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JaySmitt polycounter lvl 13
    2quu222.jpg

Here's my blockout in UE4, did my best with the perspective issues. I ended up using a human basemesh for scale rather than sticking to the concept 100%.

I'm gonna stick to the concept art style and keep the props simplistic so I can whack out HP's much faster.
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got another panel done. If I feel like I have time I need to rework some of the wood beams and add some chips and damage in zbrush they are looking way too fake and new. Any crits would be greatly appreciated. Really nice work on blocking out everyone! Sometimes perspective match just doesn't work well.
    BgN7X3X.jpg
  • jnascimento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jnascimento polycounter lvl 4
    Very nice start Jaston3D. The proportion seams very good.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    here's a update, blockout. I'm leaving work for 10 days (no PC) but i'll be back on a tight schedule, i'll still finish it in a "month" =)

HJlVuuV.jpg
    8OehuPK.jpg

Went with more correct proportions, by going back and forth in UE4, playing in a FPS mod to see that everything is ok! =)
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    checked on the desk again and its pretty ok
    also made some more progress but im slooowww
    need more free days but will hopefully have time on the weekend

34pgqdu.jpg

@everyone stuff is looking nice so far
    love to see you guys speed along