Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning Zbrush

Replies

• Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demonith polycounter lvl 6
    Hahaha nice replay yeah i know it hard to work when u dont have your own free of space :) well i could done polish but whay i can say do much more next time
  • kybio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kybio polycounter lvl 5
    Hi, you could try my software...Meshmolder Beta 3.0...is freeware and very easy to learning
    http://www.meshmolder.com/
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allengingrich polycounter lvl 2
    Just wanted to add here, you really really need to work from a lower resolution at first. Your models look lumpy and there is no form. Trust me, once I concentrated on low poly first, my models improved tenfold.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Just wanted to add here, you really really need to work from a lower resolution at first. Your models look lumpy and there is no form. Trust me, once I concentrated on low poly first, my models improved tenfold.
    This. And then this again. All too often  I see new sculptors working on ridiculously, and unecessarily, high res models. There is no need for it. It is much easier to lay in the all-important primary forms at a low resolution.  You will only frustrate yourself otherwise unless you understand how the brushes work.

Personally I work at a low res for about 90% of a completed sculpt, only adding res when I can't get the forms with the res I have. And even then I'll often just Zremesh to the same low res and continue sculpting.

Having read through the thread I see you've been given a lot of solid advice, and you are certainly trying to follow it, but trying to sculpt without refs when you don't really know what you're doing is a recipe for failure, are at the very least an impediment to progress. I do admire your will to do it from imagination, but really you will really improve if you even learn some basic landmarks. Once you know some of these general rules, then you can bend them to suit your imagination.

Even some of the best sculptors around, a prime example being Scott Eaton, use refs. And one of his personal rules that has always stuck in my head is "first sculpt what you know, and then resort to refs. don't sculpt what you THINK you know" It takes a long time and a lot of practice to build up what I like to call 'anatomical muscle-memory'

Here's a narrated timelapse vid I did of a stylised sculpt that is still based in anatomy.(start at 3min to skip the preamble) Maybe you might find some of it useful. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiPl9Gbbvgo

• Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My new works i try everything when i get time
    http://imgur.com/qxa0NlZ

http://imgur.com/cYrrvcj

Tnx u for all tutorials i wll chack them out

• Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demonith said:
    Still too high res. Seriously, work from extremely low res while making the head shape and only subdivide once you can possibly get any more detail out of it. You are either using dynamesh or subdividing way too much too early. Start with a polysphere at almost no resolution.
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i try to find the good tips on hhow to u know i try to learn how to make as ow i can but hard to find some good videos about it  ?  But the video ofmaking Hitler is awesome thou :D
    Update: And i try to do character working for game so i see big diference with perspective view and off so with what view i shell work ?
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Why dont you post a timelapse so we can see what you're doing. 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to forget about hair, hats, accessories, tertiary details, and even secondary forms. Just concentrate on the proportions, primary forms, important bony landmarks, and keep studying reference. If you keep at it and focus on the basics you'll get it eventually. 
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demonith said:
    I don't feel like you've listened to any of us. Maybe go back through this thread and notice we've given you the tips to make a good sculpt -- you just need to follow them. Good luck!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Demonith said:
    Update: And i try to do character working for game so i see big diference with perspective view and off so with what view i shell work ?
    It really doesnt matter what view you use. I like to work in perspective and only use orthographic projection for mechanical operations. There are some artists that work exclusively in nonperspective view though so its just personal preference.
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I try to do soome test on low to high and seams to be more easy to get back and fix and back to high :smile:

• Demonith
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This last one is much better. I can tell you are improving. I would try a new eye technique though and you'll be looking much better.

Akso, one thing that helped me was to consciously stop trying to sculpt superheroes -- characters with exaggerated features.  I tended to do that a lot when I first started. Try to be a little more subtle.
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tnx u i was posting in others social media and they say its too good to be true its my they say i need a mark or what evet they whant to say how do i like copyright my pics that is actualy mine made ??
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demonith said:
    Tnx u i was posting in others social media and they say its too good to be true its my they say i need a mark or what evet they whant to say how do i like copyright my pics that is actualy mine made ??
    I wouldn't worry about a watermark until you get better. Hell, even if you're awesome, who cares if people steal it? 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still think you should scrap that project and start from scratch. Your anatomy is still way off. Your mesh is still way too high res as well. You really need to go back to basics and study the skull. If you don't get the skull right, your sculpt will always look off.

At the early stages you should just do quick speed sculpt practice sessions.  Noodling away on the same model for weeks on end is hindering your progress at your early stage of learning. 
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still think you should scrap that project and start from scratch. Your anatomy is still way off. Your mesh is still way too high res as well. You really need to go back to basics and study the skull. If you don't get the skull right, your sculpt will always look off.

At the early stages you should just do quick speed sculpt practice sessions.  Noodling away on the same model for weeks on end is hindering your progress at your early stage of learning. 

well said :)

• Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still its in WIP i cant get it done i have little boy screamer so i had to stop and post what i done
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff. Glad to see you're concentrating on the all-important skull. Just sketching the skull to this level and starting again.....and again....and again.....and you will gradually build up your knowledge and sculpting ability. Practice, and more practice is the key. And sketch sculpting is great to get used to the brushes. It means you're not tied to the sculpt and won't get frustrated by looking at the same thing for weeks on end.
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i been using REFERENCE xD wohoo well its starting good its easy with something that i can follow and watch the form and sculpt by the way :) but i try to get learning how to use reference because its hard to alt+tab everytime to see pic and get back to zbrush well i never stop and i will keep practice till i get best and best :)
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just done small changes and trying for first time turntable xD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZSjo5FfHs8

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Bring you reference in as an image plane, or a background image. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVXOe9Xu1E4
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demonith said:

Good job! See what reference can do for you? Big improvement.

Just to be sure, what's your process -- are you using subdivisions or dynamesh?
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demonith said:

Good job! See what reference can do for you? Big improvement.

Just to be sure, what's your process -- are you using subdivisions or dynamesh?
    Dynamesh well the reference is much easy is will trying to see how spotlight works i see there is also image puting in there :)
    Here is some small changes and i want to see how bone material looks like