Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning Zbrush

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Demonith polycounter lvl 6
Hallo i just wont to post my work here on how i will Level with sculpt every critic and stuff is welcome ^_^
mjwd2s.jpg

Replies

• Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Earthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthyn polycounter lvl 2
    Looks like Lee Evans!

Huge ears and lips? :P

You have a nice current basic shape I would now work on the finer details.

Also make sure to work with references always, they will keep you on track
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Demonith: What are you trying to make?
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    You need to go back to the basics my friend. Lower your resolution, find some images of the planes of the faces and start copying.

planes.jpg
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am at the most starter in this i never sculpt i use 3dsmax for modeling i wont to go on move up i dont use reference for modeling i just modeling till i get that what i wont :) but now i will try with references

pigart for references i will try to use them :)

Earthyn Yeah xD i did not notice it xD

Brian "Panda" Choi I trying to learn something if u did not notice it :)

Anyway i try to get the mouth and eyes in the good direction but for now i will use references and see where it go :)
    x5p3lz.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are you trying to learn specifically, though? How to do human heads?

Regardless, you should recreate the Asaro Planar head. Right now what you're pumping looks vaguely human, but without references, it just looks lumpy and not accurate to what a human bust would look like in real life.

Even if it was of a cartoon style, it's missing a lot of subtleties you would need from a proper anatomically sound bust.
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tnx u for share your thinking yes i will try to use reference now and see where will it lead but i am not expert in this but will try i have some human anatomy references.
    As i model i try to learn by mistakes as i see on my first pic and the last its big change thou :)
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know i need to look reference and stuff and neck and bla bla just i learing step by step i dont ruch this is just i came from town sit down and started zbrushing for practise and i made this :)

20b1z5t.jpg
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    Just do Aasaro Planar Head.
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will try :) Is there tools for references ?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart's post is the Asaro Planar Head
    pigart wrote: »
    You need to go back to the basics my friend. Lower your resolution, find some images of the planes of the faces and start copying.

planes.jpg
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a tutorial on how to start with this like demonstration ?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not that I know off the top of my head.

Looking back, to me, all you really need to do is the following
    1) Brushes: trimDynamic, clay buildup
    2) Match the sculpt to the orthographic views
    30 Get comfortable with Dynamesh and Zremesher, using them as needed to regain mesh uniformity.

Though I understand how the above is still too vague.

Youtube videos will basically have the same technique from above, though a lot focus on realistic faces. Just focus on recreating the Asaro head, because a lack of foundational knowledge of where the planes of the face are will make your realsitic sculpts look lacking in some annoyingly subtle ways. Hard to tell immediately if a structure sucks because of its foundation since the foundation is buried underneath meters of earth.

Long story short, literally just try to recreate the Asaro head. Push and pull like mad, and trimDynamic like mad, using Dynamesh to regain mesh uniformity. Dynamesh is the key here, it makes Zbrush act more like real clay than Mudbox. Mudbox lacks any ability to "reset" a mesh like that.
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome tnx @Brian i will look to it one thing is there a tool for reference that i can look and model something like that
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have provided the images above. Are they not specific enough, or are you looking for something else? What do you mean by tool?
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some practice today well its not yet it but will be time to time
    23rr6sn.jpg
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2pq8hnm.jpg

This is all without reference just practice my hand to get use to Zbrush and test some things
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    Believe me my friend, you will not get far without using reference. If you want to be able to sculpt the face, you need to learn the underlying structure - skull&muscles.
  • tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    Yea that's how my sculpts used to look without references. Now I have books and anatomy figures to help me look while I sculpt. It improved me a lot. Start using references. Your hurting yourself for the long run.
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i know what u mean well maybe that was the problem all along :/ will try
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    As someone who did exact the same thing as you - learning to sculpt characters in zbrush - the experiences I made so far are these (Even though I am far from being able to sculpt characters well:
    - DONT do stylized sculpts at the beginning - learn anatomy first (a lot of your sculpts look quite stylized, like the really big ears or the big lips).
    - Do the asaro head and focus on the planes to get the shapes right
    - Sculpt the majority of your time at a really low resolution - Only if it looks right at a low resolution it will look even better at a higher one, otherwise it will get really lumpy.
    - Use a lot of reference. What helped me for the face was trying to sculpt an knwon actor, where you could find a lot of reference and try to mimic their likeness
    - If you can somehwat draw, do anatomy studies on paper - studying the anatomy in different mediums helped me a lot to understand it
    - Get the gumroad tutorials by Rafael Grasseti and by Frank Tzeng, they are awesome
    - Last but not least, continue to practice regularily and a LOT

Good luck, sculpting is really awesome once you get a little bit used to it :D
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Shyralon wrote: »
    As someone who did exact the same thing as you - learning to sculpt characters in zbrush

I think most of us did an exact same thing with an exact thread like that too... some more than just one :P

Here's more Head Plane Stuff.
    face_planes_by_gilesruscoe-d56y4xd.jpg
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i was watching video of cartoon character in zbrush and trying watching and doing my own wile WATCHING the video and keep up so i have learn some things

2porxx4.png

I am not done art school i started learning by my own imagination i started as 3d modeler in 3dsmax wile never know to model a ball but now i doing weapons so far in 3dsmax i will try my best to do in zbrush as i done in 3dsmax by everyday 1h its much of practice or 4h just do practice and i will reach my goal
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have seen some good stuff on @PyrZen's pic and do some fixing on head

24o3869.png
  • kybio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kybio polycounter lvl 5
    Hi, it's nice your work...but try an alternative software totally freeware

http://www.meshmolder.com

Sculpting and Painting 3d software...very easy...
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can someone share me a link where i can study Zbrush Anatomy practice for FREE
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't constrain yourself to ZBrush anatomy. What you're going to be looking for is just anatomy drawing as a whole, or sculpting anatomy

In that regard, this may be a starting point

http://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't constrain yourself to ZBrush anatomy. What you're going to be looking for is just anatomy drawing as a whole, or sculpting anatomy

In that regard, this may be a starting point

http://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/

Cool what a nice website and the ebook awesome i found also good ebooks for sculpting i will read tomorrow and see where it leads tnx
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I doing some practice with the ebook and reading and doing on same time its not finished still practice
    el78me.png
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First you have to understand the proportions of the head and the major planes of the head shown below and well explained by Andrew Loomis.

AndrewLoomis5.png

loomis-planes.jpg

After that, you can start adding large details and minor details. Like below.

%CF%80%CF%81%CE%BF%CE%BF%CF%80%CF%84%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%B7%20%CF%80%CF%81%CE%BF%CF%83%CF%89%CF%80%CE%BF%CF%85.jpg

Anyway, sculpting is like drawing in some ways.

Learn the basics first.
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am just learning basics this pics is just fast sculpt not like work what i done its just fast doing to do every day
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bean doing the head for learning as u say but in the time when i done i had to go on xD i just need it and came to this character this is just fast peace doing nothing special just showing or me for start for my all practice i know it has errors in anatomy of head but look good to me without details and such

4hs3h2.jpg
  • Tectonic
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here my latest work yesterday no reference straight from head practice and learning the zbrush more and more :) i call this one Under the hoody

• Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Always use reference.
  • Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    You SHOULD use reference and focus more on the form, less on detail.
  • jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    Im a newbie myself so im no expert but I just wanted to add my +1 for the reference advice.

Its so so so so important to always be using reference, otherwise models and meshes will never look realistic. Even industry pro's , who have been modelling characters for years and probably modelled thousands of faces still use reference. Plus there's loads of great resources for free that have been linked here already, so go check 'em out :) 
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well tnx for comments i been always free of mind like i doing from imagination well sometimes use reference to not get lost in model but tnx this one was off reference some times the rules need to be broken :)
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need o ask because i dot have 2 monitors well is there a way to pin the pic that i can see and use as reference and sculpt but that pic not gt behind zbrush software ? I u know what i mean
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    look up how to use Spotlight in zbrush for reference.
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    I see some progress coming along, when learning art always use reference. Without it, you will pickup bad habits that will be hard to break.

Copy this model, I'd like to see your results

• Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BKOST Well i will try and do my best to use my knowledge on that reference because i need to admit i HATE references i LOVE use imagination from the head on free style sculpt well i dont say NOT to use reference i will do but i am still noob on this :D anyway i love the shapes of that head and will try i see this will be good adventure :) anyway people dont judge if some one love something to do of free will there is a loot out there doing awesome work free style sculpting no references ;) so wish me luck :D

@TECTONIC No i never use that but i find the thing that i need here take a look

http://polycount.com/discussion/134131/refboard-nifty-little-reference-viewer

• pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Everyone loves to do sculpts from their imagination but you still have to use reference. By reference we just mean images of anatomy or real life examples of clothes, items and etc that you put in your sculpt. You don't have to follow your reference 1:1. It's especially important now while you're still learning because by doing these "freestyle" sculpts with no reference you will just create bad habits that won't be easy to forget.
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i trying to work with reference as u see but still this is WIP....no noobysh work :D well u can laugh if u wish :smile: 
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know its not perfect but still i playing around with reference its really awesome to watch and doing and explore around awesome :)
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Nothing to laugh at Demonith, pay no attention to the people who say you can't do it. As long as your willing to take criticism and always strive to improve; you'll get there. (An artists' journey is a mountain you never truly reach the top of.) My stepfather told me I was wasting my time with this "art stuff" all though out my childhood, and even more so when I went off to art school. I've worked in this industry for 16 years now and I've had an amazing time working at Sony, Nintendo, THQ, and now King. We all start with scribbles.....knowing where to place em, and where not to....takes time and many, many failures.

To have the things you've never had, you must do the things you've never done. 
  • Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing to laugh at Demonith, pay no attention to the people who say you can't do it. As long as your willing to take criticism and always strive to improve; you'll get there. (An artists' journey is a mountain you never truly reach the top of.) My stepfather told me I was wasting my time with this "art stuff" all though out my childhood, and even more so when I went off to art school. I've worked in this industry for 16 years now and I've had an amazing time working at Sony, Nintendo, THQ, and now King. We all start with scribbles.....knowing where to place em, and where not to....takes time and many, many failures.

To have the things you've never had, you must do the things you've never done.

Awesome advice man tnx :) Well i never go to Art School but i love art and i love to do this so i will keep going no meter what obstacle is ahead in front of me :)

• Demonith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well @bkost its not finished i really love it to do it made me i side work i it but i have child here dont have time and out of nervs its hard to sculpt and my boy crying in background xD well here it is what it is i can done more details as i told u lack of time and its kind blocking me to do my stuff what i want :) now its time to jump in my head and see what i can come up with :D
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Might want to lower your brush's z intensity. Instead of 1 strong stroke (which usually overkills), do multiple stroke of weaker volume. Slowly building up the forms. Don't just drop a whole can of clay on it :P