Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyborg Assault SWAT Woman

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MrHobo polycounter lvl 13

UPDATE!:

So I'm doing a new thing because thats what you do. Keep doing new things and put them in your portfolio, until you get good.

So a while ago I saw this awesome illustration by Adrian Dadich and I thought hey that wold be a cool thing to do someday.
QLvFhZNjpg1

And now its someday
The goal is for a next gen realtime character in UE4 (I'll be texturing in Toolbag2 to start, final posing/lighting/etc in UE4), along with her gun. and because I hate myself, I'll be giving her a bike (a leftover from my Petrol/Blood entry that i didnt finish) as well.

I'll also be pushing things a bit farther than whats in the concept, I'll be replacing her lower legs with cyborg enhancements.

Here's the current progress on the head:
Keyshot test:
p5DaNsBjpg
Zbrush:
29RVY49jpg

and the monocycle:
Bn6j4oQjpg
s3VXfXjjpg

There's still a ton of work to do but I think its time to share the progress and get some feedback. So as always if you see something is off and/or horrible lemme know.
Here's some of the reference I'll be using for the body.
ACtUjkAjpg

Replies

• ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Freaking gorgeous work man, really loving the overall color scheme, everything just fits together so perfectly. Cant wait to see the end result.
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Super work man, I agree with the others about the legs. Can't wait to see the new ones !
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr- Thanks!
    ArtisticTiger- Thanks, cant wait for low poly myself
    Abrvpt- Hopefully the new ones read better :)

In a rush (Got a plane to catch for GDC this afternoon) but here's where we are now.
    I'll get some better shots of the legs when I get back, there are still some things I want to tweak here and there on the feet.
    Also FYI, dont worry, the knees are functional, there's a seam across the middle where they desperate for bending :) Oh and hey if you run into me at GDC give a wave!

sgoQaHo.jpg
    efoLVs8.jpg
    773jykP.jpg
  • alhanzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alhanzo polycounter lvl 17
    going good love this project, nice detail put into the character.. Awesome face
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great work here, really dig the face as well!
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Those legs are much better =) Still, what I had in mind was more a shape like if she was wearing ultra high heels, it would give shorter calves and balance the legs a bit.
    But, your approach is much more functional than my suggestion, and less clich
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone!
    Im still alive, just been bogged down with work, but thats ending soon so its full steam ahead! :)

Ive gotten the vest done and I added some crumpling to the bottom of the thighs where she plugs into the prosthetics. I also added a little bit of war and cracking to the rubber trim of the vest, but Im saving the rest of the wear overall for textures/DDO. Here's a shot of the arm as well in case you all see something I missed.

I will most likely be starting on retopology this weekend. Im going to put her aside until then so i can get some fresh eyes before I move on. I will be moving on to her gun soon as well. Im thinking that will be a good opportunity to buckle down and finally learn Max too.

HVszVbp.jpg
    NCbqB96.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I retopo the various chunks Im going to do a bake test (Normal, AO, Cavity) to make sure things dont look like ass. Then I'll do my final UV pack and final bakes. Here's the bake test for the foot.

5nUsMA0.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, The back brace, legs and arms are low poly and baked. Once again these are the UV's but not the final UV pack. Right now each group has a 2k map for testing. The final bakes will most likely be a 4k for the body and a 2k for the head with hair on a separate map.

XYxNPAY.jpg
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Beautiful!
    She reminds me of a young Lucy Liu around the eyes and the jaw. Really impressive low poly results. Looking forward to the final low poly.

Great stuff.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Kanga, Lucy Lui was my point of reference :)
    Ok everything is baked, except for the scalp hair and the long locks of hair... That'll be fun to sort out...
    No actual texturing yet, just ao cavity and normals. Also need to set up some decals for all the branding and labels. Wires are also missing but they will be added towards the end, Im not actually baking them. Just giving them a bit of shared textured space in a corner.
    Current Polycount is about 36k.

OXSh1bK.jpg
    3QqbNYb.jpg
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    This is good stuff! Interested in how you'll deal with her hair.
  • Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mitchellangelo polycounter lvl 7
    Say, what kind of alpha do you use to texture the skin?
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DerRazputin- I'll be baking fiber mesh to cards, Im going to try and replicate Endomis technique:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125346&page=4

@Mitchell Sturtevant- I mask off areas of the face and made a noisemaker layer with tweaked setting based off the pores and skin detail of the different area of the face.

@WaYWO- Thanks!

This is the base material pass, but ignore the skin... Thats really crappy right now. I'll be doing a wear/damage pass next, but to be honest I dont want her to look destroyed. She's been doing this a while but she keeps her gear maintained.
    I plan to bring some subtle reds and yellows into the color scheme with manufacturer and warning labels.

NLvS1gx.jpg
    i1iGBx9.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    At first glance the blue on the legs is way too strong / saturated. My eyes went there first and took awhile to look at the other parts of the model.

Maybe desaturating it with hints of the strong blue? I'd take a look at how they handle the orange accents in the Dues Ex: Mankind Divided trailer (although they are a bit more gritty).

25e240d2ab784926a928856b8b0fa6a2.png
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm thats a good point, the blue is stealing focus but after examining it again and the Deus Ex trailer, I dont think its saturation but value thats the problem. I think i'll darken the blue a bit more to something closer to what I had in the Zbrush renders, maybe even go darker than that, then use the labels and what not to break things up from there. I could even use color bands like in your paint over to push the viewers eyes.
    Thanks for the sharp eyes!
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!
    I think I found a happy place with the color scheme.
    Still a bunch of things to do but I think Im going to the right direction. Skin is still super WIP
    Here's a toolbag viewer link for your viewing pleasure: http://www.the3dcharles.com/ripTexture1.html

SYW2xqn.jpg
    bIKwWDh.jpg
    7xnCFvB.jpg
    Wg35j7z.jpg
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    The new updated blue works so much better. And I think that you should be happy with the new color scheme, it is really nice! Will you give her any accessories? Or what are you thinking for her final presentation?

And good job on her, she is super cool.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    I love this design! this might me a bit late in the process but I would do more to distinguish the legs more. It's pretty hard to tell if they are stylistic human legs or robot legs, I think you are going for robot but it is pretty hard to determine.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nuclear Angel- Thanks, there's still a little more paint stuff to do but I think you are right and this works better.
    I am planning on making a gun for her like the one in the concept and then posing her with her bike (From the first page) on a rainy street.

@Maxilator- Thanks, you have a definite point. I spent a lot of time going back and forth on the leg design and ultimately I tired to settle on something that echoes the concept while being "real".
    Its not as strong as it could be but I think the rest of her body is realistically proportioned enough for the legs to read as prosthetic. I also carried the same design elements and colors from the arms to her legs, so that they would read as the same "type" of prosthetic. Hopefully when everything is finished posed and lit it will all read correctly.
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    hmm agree to some point but i think just adding some separation element like a ring or smthn around the joint where the prosthethic connects would make it a lot more easier to read...

you even did something like that around the arms... and somehow the prosthetic of the legs reads well from the back but i have trouble accepting them when being viewed from the front

when viewed from the back they taper a little bit and igve the impression of being something different than the normal section above a human knee, in front view this taper is not visible and it reads like an ugly proportioned leg :D

just some thoughts
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Skodone, but in terms of the ring thing Id prefer to not have that type separation on the leg. Id prefer to keep it one clean visual form flowing from the body into the legs. Im pretty confident that this is one of those things that will work out in the final pose, especially considering how I set up her knees to bend.

Update time:
    Been working on the skin and I am in a happy place with it so far. Still some small tweaks but it feels pretty good right now and doesn't look like ass under different light setups.

Stupid High Res: http://i.imgur.com/68Ym794.jpg
    jbjTekY.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took some time to finish the cycles low poly and bakes.
    Normal/Cavity/AO
    cDUwNe2.jpg
    0xS276w.jpg
    sbjjoVa.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the textures are coming along nicely I think. Still WIP but far enough along Im not ashamed to share what i have so far. The red glowy thing is a blockout test for the bikes holo ui. It will be vastly improved I promise.

CE7EjRT.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Man, I gotta say. The stuff you are making here is on a totally different level than what your portfolio shows. Really awesome improvement man, keep up the good work!
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man! My goal is to make 2015 the year things start happening for me and it all starts with bringing things to the next level :)

UPDATE:
    Current Holo HUD and a general texture update. I'm probably not going to do too much more to the textures outside of tweaks at this stage. The screens and the HUD though are still subject to change. Still not 100% happy with the main screens...
    Im also thinking about swapping the street view hologram thing for a holographic exploded model of the bike with info call outs or a holographic wrap sheet of current criminal targets. Theres still a lil bit more text to add here and there too.

Unfortunately I will be putting this project down for a few weeks as some tight deadline work just fell into my lap... Well OK not unfortunately, who doesnt like work?

q2fSlBE.jpg
  • felicitousArtisan
    This is incredible work, and this whole thread is inspiring! Thanks for sharing so much of the process too, for me as a relative newbie, this stuff is extremely useful and informative.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the kind words. :) Everyone's a newbie at some point so if you have any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer. Im always happy to share what little I know.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huzzah I made hair! Also added in a subsurface map and some minor tweaks. Barring any major issues this is what she's gonna look like.

h0kf5DH.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome stuff, all of the colors seem to blend/match really well.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tits and ArtisticTiger :)
    A minor update. These are some lighting tests from some days ago. I need some minor adjustments to the hair but I am on rigging now.

j7Ef3M0.jpg
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    She looks terrific MrHobo. Have fun with the rig :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    she looks great! her nose looks a little like its glowing with a subtle red and her hair has a strange plastic like fresnel sheen to it especially in the top right pic, other than that its amazing
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    WOW
    really awesome project man
    love the design
  • Chris Kuhner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Kuhner polycounter lvl 6
    Looks fantastic dude. Great work! :)
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looks good! I'll say almost like Ged, the nose seems to have too much SSS on the subsurface wip's picture. Looks much better on the lighting tests though.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!
    Ged and Abrvpt- I adjusted the translucency map so the nose glow should not be a problem any more.
    Im finding time here and there to slowly chip away at the skinning, but I came across the Digital Emily work from the WikiHuman project last week and after loading the files into toolbag I decided to rework the skin shader and her albedo map. Also dialed in my PostFX.

zn7wuVk.jpg
    fvXjiS3.jpg
    15zF41H.jpg
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    awesome work Charles, this is nuts :D
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looks better indeed !
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    looks much better :)
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone!
    Ive been slowly chipping away at the rigging/skinning and I have enough done to see how she looks in a more relaxed state. Still more skinning to do... Oh joy.
    5tkEIkY.jpg
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Oh Charles... Have my babies?
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only if we can name them all Eduardo and then join a circus.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got some time to get back to the gun... Oh yeah I started the gun, forgot to mention that. Also she's (As in the lady) fully 100% rigged.

The gun (which I have taken to calling "Momma's Little Bastard") is literally the last chunk of this project. I intend to keep it fairly blocky/chunky like the concept. I'll take it into zbrush for finally detailing with screws, nuts, bolts,tabs, etc, basically I got a ton of mechanical brushes Ive been dying to try out.

This is the block out (red part) and some of the actual high poly work (grayish parts). Still chipping away at this...
    xZMW3Ty.jpg
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Ugh this is looking beautiful! I love the graceful and spider-like qualities of the character concept, and you've translated those so well to 3D.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    I really like the lighting in this image: http://i.imgur.com/NLvS1gx.jpg

Are these renders or realtime grabs? What software and setup is being used?

Awesome design. Nice work.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Carabiner,
    I'll be happy once its all tied together in the end :)

Hey killnpc,
    Thanks man! If memory serves everything after page 2 unless other wise stated is realtime in toolbag2.
    I think that image was 2 or 3 lights tops setup.