Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Star Citizen Concept Art

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Hazzard65 polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys,

Proud to be able to finally show off my Star Citizen work produced for Cloud Imperium Games. I was tasked with designing Goss II (aka Cassel), a holiday resort planet located in an exotic binary star system featuring an iridescent nebulae.

The task was to produce three shots, an approach shot which the player will see as they are coming in to land from altitude. A landing pad shot which shows what the player might see when they debark from their vessel and finally an example of the bar area which I fashioned into a trendy nightclub.

It was a real pleasure working with such a talented and enthusiastic bunch of guys and am really looking forward to seeing the final product!

Approach Shot
goss_ii__cassel__approach_shot___star_citizen_by_hazzard65-d6wik37.jpg

Landing Pad Shot
gossii_cassel_landing_by_hazzard65-d6o5ipr.jpg

Bar Shot
gossii_cassel_bar_by_hazzard65-d6o7fck.jpg

Goss II (Cassel)
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13370-Galactic-Guide-Goss

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    remember Armitage

These are some bloody fantastic concept pieces! Some really beautiful stuff here. How long did each one take to create?
  • Drav
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Ye lovely designs, thanks for sharing. Just out of interest, what was in your head whle painting them? I see a beach resort crossed with some kind of luxury marina?
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Wow, that's some mighty fine environments. I love me some neon lights any time, but seriously I like your use of subtle tints on the lights to make them balanced despite being so bright.
    You seem to have a very good handle on your perspective. Was there a lot of construction involved while building the images, grids etc?

I only got one crit and it's a nitpick but the masses of trees could be integrated more. On some places the photo-sourcing is apparent.
    In PhotoShop, I recently discovered that the Median filter is great for integrating photos into a painting. If the result removes too much of the texture I'd just mix the result with the original.
  • Fnitrox
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome stuff man!

I was just browsing for scifish inspiration last days and found those, and I got to say it's something of the most inspiring stuff i've stubled on!
  • Hazzard65
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

@Drav My inspirations were Ibiza, Rio De Janeiro and the mediterranean. Pretty much as you said, beach resort/ marina/ party town :). Thumping music and lush beaches.

@AimBiZ Thanks! I'll give that a try. A guy I know at work has recently discovered the Median tool and swears by it now to integrate photo textures. I'll definitely have to take a look at do some experimentation!
  • St.Sabath
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man just wanted to chime in here,from a colleague from the CIG Manchester studio!

Love these concepts man really nice feel and mood set!
    I think its safe to say we artists are fortunate with having talented conceptartists like you doing these concepts..! Slick work,looking forward to more of this from you!

Keep on trucking!
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Hazzard65 wrote: »
    Bar Shot
    198_max.jpg

Pink and Teal, every time. But, it's so effective at producing that mood. Had to light a night club and strip club for a project. And that was the basic starting point.
  • Hazzard65
    Offline / Send Message
    Any chance this could be moved to the 2D forum?

Thanks!