Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Substance Brick Wall (Crits needed)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
noosence polycounter lvl 9

NEWEST

YH6hLyH.jpg

NEWEST

I am thinking about doing a fan remake of the garage from the Fallout 4 trailer. So I decided to fiddle around with a sloppy grout brick wall texture as seen in this screen shot.

Fallout-4-Trailer-Screenshot-45-1280x720.jpg

...and this is what I have so far. Just looking for some crits as to how I can push this a little farther. Also I haven't started on the destroyed plaster area, just really focusing on the bricks/grout at the moment.

tYCz5bm.png

IPKwSdG.png

BJn0zDs.png

and I plugged it into UE4 as well

YpP6O7C.png

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I would personally recommend more rotation variation to the bricks.
  • jnascimento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jnascimento polycounter lvl 4
    Nice, would only add a bit of shape variation
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Blending a gradient 1 with your basic shape, and then adding Random Fixed Rotation on your tile generator will really help pop up some variation. It will tilt a small bit every brick, grealy increasing variation. Just be carefull not to overdo it!
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    in your reference the bricks have varying hues (some are more orange, some are more brown). its not noticeable at first glance, but try adding some of that to your substance.
  • armagon
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked on a lot of what you guys said. I added some more rotation to the blocks, and added some variation on the hues. I'm still not happy with the colors I will try to tweak them some more to see what I can come up with.

@Soldeus I was doing this but I just don't think I had it pumped up enough to even be noticable =\ the exact opposite problem of waaaaayyy under-doing it.

7OxFD6n.png

gITck8N.png

I also might have over done some stuff this time, so if anyone still sees anything that looks like it could be tightened up lemme know =D
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    It's looking much better now, I think your plaster now has too much volumen on it, in the picture, it does go on top of the bricks, but it stays flat in there, not rounded like in the substance.

One more thing I kinda see of is the scale, I know you can just tile it, but imho you should decrease the brick sizes. Or else, when using this for an environment, you should have to, first tile it just to get the proper size, and then tile it some more to fill the wall.

Based on the picture, your substance should be about 10 bricks long(using the long bricks as reference). Where you only have 3 now. Keep going! This is getting pretty rad. :D
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hPFHPN9.png

4mh3nxH.jpg

Put some more work into this, Switched up the brick size. Also reworked the shapes. Noticed that the bricks in the ref have more rounded shapes. Also worked on how pushed out the grout is.

Im feeling better about the color ATM, completely satisfied? No. But Ill keep cranking on this. Again keep the crits coming. =D

EDIT: So the top is from Substance while the bottom is from Unreal. Anyone know why the colors kind of die within UE4? I haven't really figured this out =/
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It looks like your environment in UE4 is all black, which will cause the lighting to be very different from what you have in SD.
  • EpicBeardMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    Get that material into the closed room, have a movable light and get a sphere reflection capture and build lighting after that, just update the capture on the sphere ref capture.

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers!
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YH6hLyH.jpg

So here's another update. I worked with the material in UE4 some more and the only fix that worked to get it to match the color from substance designer was to multiply the albedo by itself. I have it in a closed room, updated sphere reflection and built lighting. It looks super washed out in the texture viewer within UE4 as well, idk if that matters or not. I'm thinking it's something to do with my export from designer maybe?