Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shelby Cobra - PBR Car model

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys! It´s been a while since I posted anything here, but its never too late.

I have been working on this Shelby Cobra GT500 that just got out of a pursuit and I wanted you to see it and critique as much as you can so that I can learn and improve on my modelling/texturing skills. Here it is:

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

High Poly:

High_Poly.jpg

Model has 2k textures and 14k triangles or so.

I really hope you like it. Have fun!

Replies

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This looks really good but for a car that's so beat up and dirty, its just way too reflective and shiny.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Im with slosh, for the amount of grime any wax or reflection would be gone. Take a look at some rally cars

tumblr_me2gm6ZYEc1rk6igeo1_500.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
  • BeardyDan
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardyDan polycounter lvl 2
    It's a nice start I think, but I agree with the others regarding the dirt. If you don't want to make it completely muddy, think about focusing the bulk of the mud around the wheel arches, doors and bumpers, like in that second image skyline posted. At the moment your dirt and damage seem like you've just splattered them on without thinking about areas which would be affected the most.

I think you should also be addressing some of the lack of detail and polish in the overall model and materials. At the moment i can see the area behind the grille is shiny, the wing mirrors are too clean, your windscreen should also be muddyasfuck (try to get a cool window wiping effect on the mud as well).

There's also an issue on the wheels where the texture for the rims are giving away its low poly silhouette. You can fix this by expanding the high poly rim over where the UV seam is a bit more, baking it down and using a path in Photoshop to add the rim material to the small section of the tyre that you've just baked the rim on to.

Also, door handles, wipers, brake calipers etc.
  • Javibcln
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Thank you very much for your advice! I think that you are all right, but there is a thing I forgot to mention. The story is that this car just got out of a pursuit, it was new (I just played the new need for speed and watched transformers a few days ago, thats basically where I got the idea from).

@BeardyDan, door handles! where´s my head! I completely forgot about them.

I really like the shiny appeareance, so I don´t think this will be changed in any moment, but thank you very much for your advice, I will take that in mind in the future.
  • SimonAlbon3D
    I cannot offer anything that hasn't already been said. But wow, this does look fantastic! What's your turnaround for a model like this, I've been working on my Clio for what feels like way longer than I should have. Seems like a lot of people (such as yourself) are very capable of producing a very accurate model in a short timespan!
  • Javibcln
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Simon! Thank you very much for your kind words. This model took me 4 days to complete from high poly modelling to low poly, bakes and texturing. I usually work around 6 to 8 hours a day. If there is anything I can do for you, It will be a pleasure to help.