Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spacetronaut Scale Test

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
The programmer is hammering keys on pathfinding code so I'm a bit free range at the moment. I'm exploring some presentation ideas in terms of visual scale and also trying to learn to learn that concepting style that uses a combination of paint, photos and textures to build vision. I'm pretty bad at it at the moment, but I've been given a few pieces of advice regarding edge highlighting with a single pixel brush to sharpen forms.

Any more advice is appreciated!

Close Up:

w10xFR6.jpg

Full Screen View:

QDPeLmw.jpg

Replies

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Somewhere along the line this went from being a scale test to a 'lets learn how to paint' project. I'm a dog operating a switchboard here, I have no idea what I'm doing.

0pom1Mt.jpg

7muPLEt.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to get a bit more comfortable throwing around and adjusting values. Ctrl Paint has some great videos that offer some serious base level knowledge. Gonna watch some more tomorrow.

pzOhh0i.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I love the dude, really cool!

How are you planning on animating the dude?
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the moment the most honest answer would be poorly. The game has some kludged together 3D assets and my programmer and I have a pact to head toward a prototype with as little invested ego as possible. I don't know how to model, texture, rig, animate, or script. I'm an illustrator and graphic designer so I'm a bit in over my head.

This process I'm on is partially to be able to show what we're imagining game play to be like and get me capable of skinning a character in that nice impressionistic style that games picked up a few years back. I've always admired it but never had the stones to learn.

Here's an earlier piece of concept art showing off more of the characters and some of the earlier enemy designs.

AefU4iC.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah nice, sounds really good man, Keep going and keep posting. Let me know if you want some help with the technical aspects of doing tileset's sprites if it comes up :).
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man that is such an awesome offer, but we're going 3D, or at least are planning to.

No screw that, I would love to learn some spriting techniques from you Muzz! Eventually I'm going to want to animate portions of this thing I'm painting up to show basic game play in action. It would look way better if I had some knowledge on how to do it beyond turning layers on and off in photoshop.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha no worries. Add me on skype man. I think my skype name is muzzoid :).
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah cool! Looks like there's a couple of muzzoids. There's only one of me though: stink.horse